Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking Abrams

5 posters

Go down

Thinking Abrams Empty Thinking Abrams

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:12 am

Saw Super 8 at the midnight premiere. If you'd asked me at the time, I'd have pegged the budget somewhere around around $90 or $100 million. Come to find out that Abrams had only $50 mill to play with.

It once again makes me wonder what he could do with Superman. One way or the other, I think that ship has sailed for good but, like Michael Bay, Abrams seems to know how to get the most out of every penny of his budget.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Thinking Abrams Empty Re: Thinking Abrams

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:20 am

I've like all of the Abrams films I have seen, starting with 'Mission Impossible III'. I even liked 'Cloverfield', once I saw it on DVD after buying it at Blockbuster when they have 4 used DVD's for $20.....

But 'Star Trek' was good, and I'll end-up seeing 'Super 8' eventually. Him on Superman would have been interesting, but would have taken even LONGER to come out.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am

I too have liked his work so far. He could probably make for a good superman film now. I wasn't to high on hhim yrs ago when it was him right who wrote that silly script where krypton didn't blow up and some civial war going on there. Unless I am mixing him up with someone else.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 pm

I think you did have him confuse with someone else and I think his name is Joseph McGinty Nichol a.k.a. McG!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:52 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I think you did have him confuse with someone else and I think his name is Joseph McGinty Nichol a.k.a. McG!
As far as I know, that was the same thing. Abrams wrote it, McG was going to direct it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Ya there was just many things wrong with that script from what I remember.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:57 am

In case they do get rid of Zack Snyder like the vicious 'rumor mills' have been predicting for the past 2 months, then JJ Abrams would have my vote! I know, I know, the Superman project he was connected to at the time was HORRID. Nevertheless I feel like he's 'redeemed' himself as far as his film-making is concerned. The rebooted STAR TREK was just simply AWESOME! Best Trek in many years! Now I haven't seen SUPER-8 yet but I did see CLOVERFIELD & really enjoyed that. I feel just by reading about the new film that I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it when I do actually see it. And he's already got the Star Trek sequel possibly coming out around Christmas 2012? But wouldn't a summer release be better like last time?

I'm also aware that he was behind the TV series LOST which, to be honest, I've never given a fair chance for some unknown reason, although when that first came out, I had no idea who Abrams was. However, I'm thoroughly aware of his involvement in FRINGE which has become one of my favorite shows.

So like I said, I feel like Abrams has 'redeemed' himself somewhat from the previous Superman abortion & could honestly do justice to the character now, that is, provided the SCRIPT is solid. If he had to continue what Snyder started, he'd have my vote but by the same token, I'd just rather they go ahead as scheduled to insure that we actually do get a new film & not have to wait another 20 years for it either!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:44 am

non_amos wrote:In case they do get rid of Zack Snyder like the vicious 'rumor mills' have been predicting for the past 2 months, then JJ Abrams would have my vote! I know, I know, the Superman project he was connected to at the time was HORRID. Nevertheless I feel like he's 'redeemed' himself as far as his film-making is concerned. The rebooted STAR TREK was just simply AWESOME! Best Trek in many years! Now I haven't seen SUPER-8 yet but I did see CLOVERFIELD & really enjoyed that. I feel just by reading about the new film that I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it when I do actually see it. And he's already got the Star Trek sequel possibly coming out around Christmas 2012? But wouldn't a summer release be better like last time?

I'm also aware that he was behind the TV series LOST which, to be honest, I've never given a fair chance for some unknown reason, although when that first came out, I had no idea who Abrams was. However, I'm thoroughly aware of his involvement in FRINGE which has become one of my favorite shows.

So like I said, I feel like Abrams has 'redeemed' himself somewhat from the previous Superman abortion & could honestly do justice to the character now, that is, provided the SCRIPT is solid. If he had to continue what Snyder started, he'd have my vote but by the same token, I'd just rather they go ahead as scheduled to insure that we actually do get a new film & not have to wait another 20 years for it either!
Too lazy to find it but he once wrote an essay wherein he mentioned the Superman script and how Internet feedback basically killed the movie... even though (A) he was two drafts beyond the version that had leaked and (B) had already fixed 99% of the problems most people had with his version. The broader context was the potential negative impact spoilers can have on films in production (which, to be fair, had there been an Internet when Empire was shooting and Luke's father leaked onto it... it just wouldn't have been the same, you know?).

It felt like he'd taken a lot of things to heart and he had to make the wrong choices before he could understand why the mythos have endured these many decades as part of his creative process. If so... hey, not everybody's necessarily a lifelong Superman fan. It makes sense that it's not intuitive to some folks like it is for some of us.

Apart from a few questionable items in Star Trek (a flavor of racism, all the "fan winks" going back to Wrath of Khan, etc), I dug the movie.

And did Abrams direct Cloverfield? I thought he only produced it and some other dude directed it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:56 am

And did Abrams direct Cloverfield? I thought he only produced it and some other dude directed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/

It says Matt Reeves directed it.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 am

There you go. Always wondered why everyone thought he directed it. Oh well, whatever...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 am

Ya he only produced cloverfield. And what colors said earlier I believe was true. I don't remember it all mmyself. But would be nice to see his later drafts he had that fixed the problems the one that leaked had. As for jj and trek 2 I don't believe it would be ready for a winter 2012 releasee. They are still working on script, and at this stage looks like filming wont start to fall of this yr or spring of next yr. So I definately see trek being released summer/fall 2013.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:53 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:There you go. Always wondered why everyone thought he directed it. Oh well, whatever...

I never implied that he directed 'Cloverfield'. I just remember it being a film he had a big hand in making.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:There you go. Always wondered why everyone thought he directed it. Oh well, whatever...

I never implied that he directed 'Cloverfield'. I just remember it being a film he had a big hand in making.

Not you; more about others who talk about Abrams... and, for some reason, think he directed Cloverfield.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum