Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early

4 posters

Go down

Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early Empty Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 15, 2011 10:09 pm

WeMakeALotOfShitUp.Com

LEAKED: Massive Interview With Ryan Reynolds Talking In-Depth About Green Lantern!

The actor talks about being cast as Hal Jordan, the humour in the movie, similarities between this character and Deadpool, working with a CGI Kilowog as well as Mark Strong and Peter Sarsgaard, the future direction of the franchise plus more...
While the embargo on this interview (conducted on the set of Green Lantern a few months ago) isn't supposed to be lifted until Tuesday, MySpace have jumped the gun and released it today! Below are some of the main highlights, but click on the link below to read more.

On What He Knew About The Character Before Being Cast:

You know, I knew of The Green Lantern. I wasn't versed in it, you know, like Geoff Johns or anyone like that. I just, I mean, I knew he was an ordinary guy who was bequeathed a ring by a dying alien. It, you know, shot lasers out of it or something like that, so, beyond that, I wasn't that familiar with it, so I think I was most startled to find out how vast the universe is. I mean, that it really does -- you know, I know Geoff Johns likened it to the Star Wars of the DC Universe, and it really does feel like that. I mean, the scope is the thing that blew my mind. I couldn't believe it when I made that discovery, and I met Martin like I was meeting on any other movie.

On The Movie Version Of Hal Jordan:

We're not playing him as a fearless guy at all. Hal Jordan's -- the reason that the ring chose Hal Jordan was because he has an ability to overcome fear, and he's as baffled by this decision that these cosmic entities have made as anyone. I mean, he doesn’t understand why he was chosen. He's afraid to admit he's afraid, and that's -- you know, that's kind of his challenge throughout the film.

It's finding that footing and finding that ability to overcome it, and that's what's deep within him. That's the reason why he becomes the greatest Green Lantern of all, because fearlessness is insanity. Courage is an amazing trait. It's noble, it's, you know -- it's a virtue that everyone wants, so that's what it is that he has to find within himself. So, he's one of those guys that is trying to be fearless when we meet him, and we realize that he's going in the exact wrong direction.

On The Similarities Between Hal Jordan And Deadpool:

Well, yeah, Deadpool just lives for that. I mean, you know, it's just finding that tone. I mean, I always saw the guy as Han Solo crossed with Chuck Yeager. He just feels kind of like that. You know, he's the guy that -- you know, he's not funny, but he's witty, you know, and his wit is more of a self-defense mechanism than anything else. So he's skilled at avoidance in every way, so--and anyone's who's skilled at that, and I should know, can, you know, divert, you know, somebody's focus and attention to--you know, with humor, with, like, you know, a sort of off-handed remark or something like that, so he's really good at that. You know, he's quick with his mouth, but, you know, he's not, like, making jokes or anything like that. You know, there's no moment in the film where I feel like there's a ‘ba-dum-bum’ moment. That’s just how I put it.

On His Scenes With The CGI Aliens:

We have a guy that is six foot eight. His thighs are bigger than my life. He's like -- he's huge! And he's just a great reference, so he's got this big barreling voice, and I don’t even know if that's the voice they're going to use, but he's kind of a good reference. And we have a Tomar-Re, and we have some of the other lanterns that are all kind of there with me, so I'm able to talk to them and reference them, but, later on, they're going to look much different.

On Peter Sarsgaard's Portrayal Of Hector Hammond And His Relationship With Hal Jordan:

Well, Peter's great. Peter's obviously an incredibly capable actor, but I think Peter captures the one thing that makes every great screen villain great, and that's that he just fully owns every second of it. And I think -- this is something that I think a lot of people pick up on early on that do it well, in addition to Peter, is that they understand that villains aren't intentionally evil. They have just opposing convictions. And that's all it is, and so there's no mustache twisting or any of that kind of crap. It’s borne of something very real, but kind of vulnerable, so it was tough, you know, because Peter's -- he's Hal Jordan's foe in this, but, in our mythology, they've known each other their whole lives.

And there's a lot of empathy mixed in when I look at this guy, and I think you feel that 'til the end of the movie. THAT to me is something that Peter brought to it that was not on the page, and that's something that's so important. You know, even when we're battling, there's a regret with Hal Jordan and Green Lantern that he doesn't want to do this, you know.

On Mark Strong As Sinestro:

Yeah, there's a great tip of the hat or a nod to, you know, what could be forthcoming from these two guys. But Mark is a very generous actor, and he's also just incredibly good in every moment. There's never a moment where -- you know, we're talking to each other on an alien planet, and he's purple, and he has a crazy widow's peak, and, you know, there's a moment where you can catch yourself and say, this is ridiculous!

But, as soon as you start to converse with him, and you look into his eyes, it's pretty magical. You know, he's right there. He's that character, and you sink or swim. It's pretty fantastic, so they hired well. I felt like across the board, they really just did a good job of that, and Mark and I have a lot of fun working together.

But there was a great moment when we started shooting, too, which is the first time he and I kind of meet and square off, and it's a great moment. It's just one of those moments where I'm on Oa for the first time, and there's this guy, and I'm looking at him, and there's immediately a kind of unspoken friction between these two that is very watchable, and that was something that I was glad about. And that's a chemistry thing. That's something that they didn’t plan for, either.

On Coming Back As Hal Jordan For Future Green Lantern Movies:

You know, I think there's a lot to mine out of it. I mean, if you do a second and third -- but you don’t want to just say we're doing a second and third one, because the first one has to work. That's the mission, and that's the job in front of everybody.

But, the second one, I'll tell you, man, whether it's Martin Campbell directing it or somebody else, we inherit a ton of answers, and that's the biggest thing you get out of it. I mean, you know, you start work, and now, we know what Hal Jordan looks like. We know what The Green Lantern looks like, you know, so that's really exciting. All these guys look like. How they fly, how they move, how they interact with one another. There's so many answers that the second production gets. You know, you almost feel like you get a six-month head start, and that's going to be amazing, but in terms of, like, the larger DC Universe, I'd love to see a Justice League movie.

On Where He Sees The Franchise Going In Future:

And then, you know, barring that, you know, you do another one after that, and then you could see this going well beyond Hal Jordan and to the other Green Lanterns and, you know, "The Fall of Hal" and, you know, dispensing with him and then bringing on Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner or some of those guys.

With an all star cast which includes Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, Blake Lively as Carol Ferris and Mark Strong as Sinestro, director Martin Campbell's Green Lantern is set to be released in 3D on June 17, later this year!

This right here is what is making me realize how fucking stupid the Bros. Warner are with their comic book properties:

"We're not playing him as a fearless guy at all."

Yes, because WHY would they want to make him like the character he is based on? It's a good thing Marvel decided to change THOR from a Norse God to a.....

Oh, that's right. THEY DIDN'T.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early Empty RE: Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early

Post  non_amos Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 pm

This right here is what is making me realize how fucking stupid the Bros. Warner are with their comic book properties:

"We're not playing him as a fearless guy at all."

Yes, because WHY would they want to make him like the character he is based on? It's a good thing Marvel decided to change THOR from a Norse God to a.....

Oh, that's right. THEY DIDN'T.

I apparently have some mixed feelings about this film. On one hand, I've said that the various trailers look awesome & I'm looking forward to this film. OTOH, there are some glaring things that concern me.

Namely, the SUIT. I'm still having a hard time understanding why the 'brothers' felt they had to go with an ALL-CGI SUIT?! Would it have been asking too much to just have gone with some traditional costume that not only looked like Green Lantern's gear but also was REAL?! Even Thor had real clothes for crying out loud! Batman's 'armor' may be controversial but at least it represents a real costume & is something that Christian Bale actually has to wear! Now, in reference to Green Lantern, would it really have been so difficult to have just had Reynolds wear a real outfit that at least looked like it was inspired by the comics?! Even FLASH in the short-lived TV series from about 1990 had a real suit, even though it was 'enhanced' with fake muscles but still, it was a real suit! But get this! It's not just the CGI suit that's a concern. Have you seen his FEET?! Correct me if I'm wrong but I know I'm not, but didn't even the comics version of GL have him wearing BOOTS?! But in this film, he just as well be bare-footed! And it just looks weird IMHO!

But yeah, 'changing' the character itself is probably not a good idea either. This is no doubt why Marvel succeeds & WB/DC fails. Sure, Nolan's Batman has succeeded thus far but what happens when he's gone? Here's to HOPING that Snyder & company knock the SUPERMAN reboot outta the ballpark, but I'll rest a lot easier about that once I've seen it! And like I've said before, WATCHMEN is awesome & severely under-rated. However, we know that WB's track record isn't exactly too swift when it comes to their comics properties. It's almost like the inmates are running the asylum!

Thing about it. The screen at the end of THOR stated something like 'Thor will reappear next year in THE AVENGERS. THE AVENGERS!!!!!

If WB/DC had played their cards right, we should've had a JUSTICE LEAGUE film before Avengers was ever even thought of, but we didn't. And we won't! But Marvel will continue onward.

What's wrong with this picture?! Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early Empty Re: Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 16, 2011 1:22 am

non_amos wrote:What's wrong with this picture?! Suspect

Everything.

Until the Bros. Warner decide to start hiring directors who want to bring the CHARACTER to life, instead of making their OWN VERSION, they will always be a distant #2 to Marvel. Quality-wise.

How many 'Catwoman's have they had?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early Empty RE: Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early

Post  non_amos Mon May 16, 2011 1:38 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:What's wrong with this picture?! Suspect

Everything.

Until the Bros. Warner decide to start hiring directors who want to bring the CHARACTER to life, instead of making their OWN VERSION, they will always be a distant #2 to Marvel. Quality-wise.

How many 'Catwoman's have they had?

I didn't like Edward Norton's departure from THE INCREDIBLE HULK. However, I am aware the Norton was something of a 'primadonna' who wanted CREATIVE CONTROL. Obviously Marvel felt otherwise, hence his 'departure', which to me was a shame because he really got the character compared to Bana's version, but apparently Marvel was not gonna be held hostage! Ditto for Terrance Howard. He was basically FIRED after the 1st IRON MAN film for demanding more money, supposedly. He was replaced by Don Cheadle.

Anyway, from the looks of things, Marvel ain't gonna be held hostage by ANYONE! Not big-name actors & apparently, not even directors because even Jon Favreau has parted ways with them & will not be doing IRON MAN 3.

On the flip side of this, we have WB/DC being held hostage, most notably by CHRISTOPHER NOLAN. Just because his film made a billion dollars. But forget having a unified DC universe!

Yeah, really, what's wrong with this picture?! Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early Empty Re: Ryan Reynolds Interview Leaked Early

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 am

The "fear" thing is pretty idiotic but it goes back to the inherent stupidity of Hal Jordan in the first place. I maintain that it would've been better to start the franchise off with Kyle Rayner. Movie 01 is Rayner accepting the ring (he was chosen at random so the usual GL recruitment guidelines need not apply) and becoming a real GL, Movie 02 ups the ante and establishes that Rayner's predecessor, Hal, went through the Parallax shit and Movie 03 is Kyle defeating Parallax and then restoring the Green Lantern Corps to the universe, thereby allowing other GL's to take center stage.

I thought all that bullshit up just off the top of my head and it sounds at least as good as what we'll likely see in the GL movie.

I do admire Reynolds for confessing his ignorance about the character though. A lot of fanboys freak out over the cast and crew not having every panel of every comic book memorized but Reynolds plays it cool here. Kudos to him... even if he shouldn't have been cast as Hal.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 16, 2011 2:26 pm

I agree with you guys it sucks that wb cant get things right. They should have taken more notice to the things marvel studios have gotten right in there films so far an all. As for the rest of the interview RR had some nice comments about working with peter and mark and the behind the scenes stuff when he was shooting with cgi added in later characters. As for the film i do hope it turns out good. Cause it will probably factor in to wb if they should gamble with other dc heroes like flash/aquaman/martian manhunter, etc....
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 am

Not exactly the same thing but close enough & with major question marks. Tonight (Monday, 8/1/2011), Ryan Reynolds was a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. It started off with a 'montage' of sorts of films that Reynolds has been in. GREEN LANTERN was noticeably missing with THE PROPOSAL being depicted as his recent film, at least somewhat. Ironically the 1st film they showed with him was X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE. You mean they showed his 'pre-Deadpool' but not his GL?!

To add insult to injury, not one word was said about GL during the entire interview segment! They even came back after a commercial & continued. I sorta expected Leno to question him about the film's failure but not one word! Instead Reynolds talked about some film he did where he accidentally removed the 'pasties' from some chick's boobs. I kid you not! And the film clip they showed was for some film coming out Friday that I didn't catch the name of but co-starring Jason Bateman.

So this leaves unanswered questions. Why did Leno avoid the subject? Was it out of respect, i.e., don't humiliate the guy? But who says it'd have to humiliate Reynolds? I mean, I can see on one hand it might be a touchy subject but OTOH it'd also be honest reporting instead of just being 'PC'. Thoughts?!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 am

A lot of these "interviews" aren't really intended to be much more than promotional vehicles for whatever's coming up. I don't even Leno himself would say he's in any involved with reporting or journalism or the like. What can you really say about GL at this point? Some people liked it but apparently a lot of people either hated it or else just flat out never saw it because the numbers on the film simply cannot be spun. GL will never have an Apologist movement as NOBODY could argue the movie was any sort of financial success.

My guess? Reynolds' handlers or some studio rep told Leno's people not to mention Green Lantern. Just stay the hell away from it. And they probably told Reynolds likewise. This is all entertainment TV, objectivity was never on the table and, let's face it, it's really not an unreasonable request under the circumstances. As an analogy, this same sort of thing is why you'll probably never see an interview with Tom Cruise where the couch-jumping episode pops up.

It should also tell you just how unlikely a GL sequel is (as if common sense didn't tell the tale there). At least BJ and Singer were out in front of that thing assuring all and sundry that a sequel was "just 'round the corner". Pfah!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 pm

If a couple of months ago you had a very bad, very public bout with explosive diarrhea, would you want people to keep bringing it up so you can re-live the embarrassment?

Neither does Ryan Reynolds.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down