Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1966 Batman rides again!

4 posters

Go down

1966 Batman rides again! Empty 1966 Batman rides again!

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:24 am

Comics Alliance wrote:Finally, after forty-five years, writers across the country have a good reason to drop "Biff! Pow!" into their headlines again. After finally settling licensing issues last year and paving the way for toys and merchandise based on the classic Adam West Batman show, DC will be publishing a new digital-first Batman '66 series by Jeff Parker and Eisner-winning artist Jonathan Case, with covers by Michael Allred.

The Batman '66-inspired stories are scheduled to hit Comixology and the DC app this summer, where they'll join their fellow TV-inspired properties, Smallville Season 11 and Arrow, along with the digital-first Legends of the Dark Knight and Adventures of Superman, for which Parker is also writing a story.

While specific storyline information has yet to be revealed, Parker did confirm to ComicsAlliance that, like the show, the first Special Guest Villain of the comic will be the Riddler, with Catwoman also appearing to challenge the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder. He even provided us with one of Case's sketches for the product, featuring a Frank Gorshin-inspired version of the Riddler:

URL- www.comicsalliance.com/2013/03/22/batman-classic-tv-series-comic-jeff-parker-jonathan-case-michael-allred
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome this is!

Also, think about this. There's are now comic books based on Smallville, Arrow and, soon, Batman 1966. Meanwhile, Singerman's only comic book tie-in remain that horrid prequel miniseries intended to promote the movie's release. Otherwise Singerman remains one and done in all media. Beating a dead horse? Kicking Singer and Routh when they're down? Bet yer ass I am!

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

1966 Batman rides again! Empty Re: 1966 Batman rides again!

Post  James Stocks Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 am

It's no surprise, Batman 66 is actually, ya know, fun.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:03 am

That's alright Robin. I'll just use my Bat Anti-Shark Repellent! tongue
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:22 am

Sometimes I feel that I prefer that film over all the other Batflicks
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:26 am

James Stocks wrote:Sometimes I feel that I prefer that film over all the other Batflicks
I could never go that far but Chris Nolan has done a hell of a lot to help me put all other Batmen into some kind of context. So these days, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney (yeah, I said it), Christian Bale, Kevin Conroy, whatever, and their respective shows/films are all equally Batman to me. It's all Batman in the end.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:34 am

I find it kinda ironic that this sorta shift would happen. I loved watching the TV series as reruns growing up even in high school. But back up a few years & the comics went less camp, correct? The whole Neal Adams & Denny O'Neil thing back in the 70's that deliberately brought back dark & brooding although it's been ages since I read any of those stories. But of course Frank Miller continued it in the 80's & it even spilled over into the 1989 Batman film. And even Nolan continued it more recently.

So what then? Has dark & brooding played itself out? Are people now thinking nostalgia & remembering just how much they loved the TV series? So I find that ironic indeed. And remember, Adam West actually wanted to play Batman in the initial Burton film from what I remember. That wasn't to be but at least it's good to see an actor who actually appreciates what made them a star in the first place. Maybe West will be appreciated after all.

Now just release the series on DVD & Blu-Ray! Laughing
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 am

non_amos wrote:I find it kinda ironic that this sorta shift would happen. I loved watching the TV series as reruns growing up even in high school. But back up a few years & the comics went less camp, correct? The whole Neal Adams & Denny O'Neil thing back in the 70's that deliberately brought back dark & brooding although it's been ages since I read any of those stories. But of course Frank Miller continued it in the 80's & it even spilled over into the 1989 Batman film. And even Nolan continued it more recently.

So what then? Has dark & brooding played itself out? Are people now thinking nostalgia & remembering just how much they loved the TV series? So I find that ironic indeed. And remember, Adam West actually wanted to play Batman in the initial Burton film from what I remember. That wasn't to be but at least it's good to see an actor who actually appreciates what made them a star in the first place. Maybe West will be appreciated after all.
Don't forget that Brave & The Bold cartoon, which owes a lot more to Adam West than it ever did Frank Miller. To me, there's always room for, as Adam West would say, The Light Knight.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 am

To me, the two interpretations (dark and brooding, light and campy) are equally valid and made Batman last for more than 70 years. That one TAS episode with the kids telling their own stories of the Bat is a great tribute to the history of the character.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 am

So if we actually get the Justice League film and a Batman reboot, what do we get then? Since it's a team effort, do we get a lighter, more 'kid-friendly' Batman? Maybe one that even riffs a little on Adam West but without going overboard on it? Possibly with a 'touch' of dark & brooding but without going overboard on that either? Hey! We might finally get a definitive Batman! Interesting that THE BRAVE & THE BOLD was brought up. I don't recall ever seeing the cartoon but I was a regular reader of the comic back in the day. Refresh my memory in case I'm wrong but didn't Batman lead a 'team' of sorts in that comic? Not JLA but other heroes? Sure I could research it but I just haven't but I'm thinking I even remember Metamorpho & characters like that. And I don't remember that comic being overly dark. We also had WORLD'S FINEST which I don't recall being dark either. So maybe in a 'reboot' of Batman we get the best of both worlds?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:00 pm

I think it would be admirably ballsy if they wen with a lighter Batman, contrasting not only Nolan films but a lot of other flicks that have taken the dark and gritty trend. Should they go for it? I think that largely depends on getting the right people involved, as BATMAN & ROBIN suffered by having the wrong people.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 pm

James Stocks wrote:I think it would be admirably ballsy if they wen with a lighter Batman, contrasting not only Nolan films but a lot of other flicks that have taken the dark and gritty trend. Should they go for it? I think that largely depends on getting the right people involved, as BATMAN & ROBIN suffered by having the wrong people.
My recommendation was that they strive for a level of darkness between Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Emphasize the fun factor those movies did but not go too light with it. I think that would fit well in a shared universe. Hell, privately I always considered the Flash TV show, Lois & Clark seasons 3 and 4 and Batman Forever to all exist in the same universe anyway because the tone of those things weren't so far away from one another.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Perhaps. I do feel that after Nolan we need a whole new feel that there would be no way to compare. That balance can work, something close to TAS that had the best mixture of heavy drama and lightness. That's why I consider MASK OF THE PHANTASM the best theatrical release.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm

I love that they kept Cesar Romero's mustache present!

1966 Batman rides again! Joker210
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I love that they kept Cesar Romero's mustache present!

1966 Batman rides again! Joker210
I like how the promo art so far has that sort "pop art" vibe to it. That's the approach I hope the comic itself sticks with.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 am

What gets me is that when I was growing up I didn't even notice Romero's mustache. I don't think I ever noticed it until at some point long ago someone somewhere pointed it out, probably in the media somewhere, I forget.

Speaking of Caesar Romero, I remember an interesting comparison I believe sometime back during the 90's. Jack Nicholson was already immortalized as the Joker. But it was either Nickelodean's 'Nick At Nite' or TV Land, I forget which, but the point is, the Batman TV show started airing on their channel & they compared Romero to Nicholson. It's been a long time since I saw those commercials but if I remember correctly I think the gist of it was that they either showed a clip of Jack as the Joker or at least made reference to it. Then they'd show Romero doing some 'hijinks' as the Joker. The impression I got from it was that they were saying that Caesar Romero was the real Joker! Like Jack was just a pretender or something. I wouldn't go that far but the comparison reminds me also of how we tend to side with Jack now vs. duh Nolanites who think Heath Ledger blew Jack away.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:15 am

The argument can be made. I'm not convinced by it at all but I can see why someone else would believe that.

But thinking Ledger blew Nicholson out of the water? All that does is tell me the critic knows pretty much nothing about the Joker.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down