Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's green goblin

4 posters

Go down

ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's  green goblin Empty ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's green goblin

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Just saw this cool vid on early makeup/costume testing for green goblin costume in raimi film:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's  green goblin Empty Re: ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's green goblin

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Why did they ditch this and go with that stupid 'Power Rangers' mask????

One of my biggest "pet peeve's" wit the first 'Spider-Man' was the fact that they had Willem Dafoe, who had the PERFECT LOOK for Green Goblin, and they covered his face up with a non-moving "helmet". Made absolutely NO sense to me then, even less now.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's  green goblin Empty Re: ADI makeup/costume test for Raimi's green goblin

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:38 am

I had to admit it does look cool and it look like a good choice for a GG mask but lets think of the possbilities that would have occured... For starters, it would make the viewers ask... How does that mask make facial expressions or for that matter make mouth movements? Sure the answer would be the mask is skin tight but even that won't be enough for the viewers to buy! They'll also had to explain how did Norman Osborn create such a thing and even though they can easily show Osborn putting it on and taking it off I doubt the viewers would find it convincing!

Apologist Puncher wrote:One of my biggest "pet peeve's" wit the first 'Spider-Man' was the fact that they had Willem Dafoe, who had the PERFECT LOOK for Green Goblin, and they covered his face up with a non-moving "helmet". Made absolutely NO sense to me then, even less now.

I think the direction Sam Raimi was trying to establish in regards to the GG is to make his suit match the tech that he uses since most of his tech/weaponary are suppose to be Oscorp based military projects. Makes alot more sense than using high-tech weaponary while wearing a medieval imp costume if you ask me!

Also I'm kind of curious as to what the first version of the GG suit looks like cause I heard it was bulkier than the final version right before William Defoe was cast!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:26 am

Ya story wise the raimi suit worked cause he was doing weapons for the military. But it could have been changed to fit the ore life like mask and all that. Would have been sweet to see a real life mask maybe we will see it in webb series if asm is success.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm

That was GREAT! Why did it change? Maybe Dafoe didn't want to wear that. It could be as simple as that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Or maybe it was costing to much/problems with mask ie probably some animatronic stuff.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I had to admit it does look cool and it look like a good choice for a GG mask but lets think of the possbilities that would have occured... For starters, it would make the viewers ask... How does that mask make facial expressions or for that matter make mouth movements? Sure the answer would be the mask is skin tight but even that won't be enough for the viewers to buy! They'll also had to explain how did Norman Osborn create such a thing and even though they can easily show Osborn putting it on and taking it off I doubt the viewers would find it convincing!

So. You're saying the "viewer" can find it convincing that Dafoe's Norman Osborn not only created a high-tech glider with military grade weapons, but also a serum that gave him super-human strength. Yet him making a scary Halloween mask is somehow "too hard to swallow"?

Give me a friggin' break.

I think the direction Sam Raimi was trying to establish in regards to the GG is to make his suit match the tech that he uses since most of his tech/weaponary are suppose to be Oscorp based military projects. Makes alot more sense than using high-tech weaponary while wearing a medieval imp costume if you ask me!

Ah, so not only do you hate Superman, but the Green Goblin too.

Gotcha.

Also I'm kind of curious as to what the first version of the GG suit looks like cause I heard it was bulkier than the final version right before William Defoe was cast!

Doesn't matter, does it?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:17 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:That was GREAT! Why did it change? Maybe Dafoe didn't want to wear that. It could be as simple as that.

Except it's not.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:55 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:So. You're saying the "viewer" can find it convincing that Dafoe's Norman Osborn not only created a high-tech glider with military grade weapons, but also a serum that gave him super-human strength. Yet him making a scary Halloween mask is somehow "too hard to swallow"?

Give me a friggin' break.
On top of that, why would the military want their expensive equipment to green and purple? How is that "credible"?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 am

Another test footage of early makeup efffects for sam raimi green goblin:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:21 am

webhead2006 wrote:Another test footage of early makeup efffects for sam raimi green goblin:
As cool as those designs and animatronics are, it does make me wonder why they didn't go for a fully CGI/mo-cap "mask" for the Green Goblin... or maybe that the new franchise should. If you have a shot where he takes the mask off, well, that's easy enough to do. But with the visual effects approach, you don't have to worry too much about the believability of the practical mask or the lighting of the shot or whatever else. Just shoot it now and perfect it in post.

Anyway, either way you look at it, that original design is light years ahead of the static mask in the movie. Whoever ordered that change should be fired (even if it was Raimi himself).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:29 pm

I agree there, if they go goblins/jackal for tasm series. And its too bad they didn't go more maskup in raimi series. His power ranger like suit wasn't that great, and still is joked on. But would love to see this approached handled some day.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down