Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The "Recommend A Movie" Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:34 pm

For those of you with a significant other, here's a perfect movie to watch with him/her:

'For Love of the Game' (1999)

It's a baseball movie wrapped up in a chick flick, and Costner is pretty outstanding in it. Kelly Preston wasn't too shabby either.

If you haven't given it a chance yet, give it a chance.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The "Recommend A Movie" Thread

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm a Zombieland fan from way back. In fact, the night I saw Zombieland could be turned into an independent movie. Anyway, loved it then, love it now and always hoped for a sequel.

But Zombieland 2 has been dead in the water for quite a while now. Apparently one of the major roadblocks was Woody Harrelson's policy to never do sequels.

Incidentally, I rather enjoyed Catching Fire.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I'm a Zombieland fan from way back. In fact, the night I saw Zombieland could be turned into an independent movie. Anyway, loved it then, love it now and always hoped for a sequel.

But Zombieland 2 has been dead in the water for quite a while now. Apparently one of the major roadblocks was Woody Harrelson's policy to never do sequels.

Actually, what REALLY killed it was the producers were going to make a 'Zombieland' tv series:

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2013/05/zombieland-tv-series-not-picked-up-by-amazon

“Zombieland” TV series not picked up by Amazon

At least director Eli Craig has a backup plan.

It turns out that “Zombieland” TV series on Amazon isn’t going anywhere after all. After inviting viewers to check out the pilot of the show, Amazon opted not to pick the show up to series. Its creators, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, are invited to take it elsewhere, but based on the low budget nature of the show and the fact it doesn’t have any recognizable stars, that option doesn’t seem likely.

Fortunately pilot director Eli Craig has another project up his sleeve. The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the “Tucker and Dale vs. Evil” helmer will next work on “Little Evil,” a dark comedy he also wrote. Plot details are being kept under wraps at the moment.

This is sad news for the “Zombieland” series, but also unsurprisingly. Sure, the selling point of “Zombieland: The Series” was supposed to be that the film was originally conceived as a television show, but it didn’t quite work when it was finaly created. By replacing Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson and Abigail Breslin with Kirk Ward, Maiara Walsh, Tyler Ross and Izabela Vidovic, “Zombieland” lost a lot of its charm.

Still, maybe the concept could live on elsewhere. Netflix could easily take it over, give it a makeover, maybe find new stars and make it something worth watching. Until then, we’ll just rewatch the movie and start craving Twinkies.

Are you disappointed that “Zombieland: The Series” isn’t going to happen? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:49 am

'Jack Reacher' (2013)

Not sure if anyone here has seen it, but you should. I know Tom Cruise is a looney off-screen, but the guy knows how to do what he does best.

Reacher isn't your run-of-the-mill action film. Plenty of twists and turns, and has more of a "thriller/drama" feel. I know people heard fans of the books bitching about size, and then took THAT opinion as their "own", but Cruise's size doesn't matter. At all. In fact, I'd say his stature makes Reacher even MORE impressive, as his BRAINS are his most powerful weapons.

There's a pretty sweet car chase too, with a great ending. If a little far-fetched.

Seriously, check it out.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:56 am

I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, Cruise is a loony but the more I look back on his career, the more I see a variety of pretty impressive roles. He's no Anthony Hopkins (although who IS?) but at the same time he's usually the high point or one of the high points of any movie he's in. Weird, crazy, kooky, altogether spooky, but he's damn good at his job. You have to give him that much.

EDIT- I mean, shit, was he or was he not the best part of Tropic Thunder? Case closed.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:59 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, Cruise is a loony but the more I look back on his career, the more I see a variety of pretty impressive roles. He's no Anthony Hopkins (although who IS?) but at the same time he's usually the high point or one of the high points of any movie he's in. Weird, crazy, kooky, altogether spooky, but he's damn good at his job. You have to give him that much.

EDIT- I mean, shit, was he or was he not the best part of Tropic Thunder? Case closed.

Exactly.

Did you read my 'Zombieland' reply up above?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:16 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:'Jack Reacher' (2013)

Not sure if anyone here has seen it, but you should. I know Tom Cruise is a looney off-screen, but the guy knows how to do what he does best.

Reacher isn't your run-of-the-mill action film. Plenty of twists and turns, and has more of a "thriller/drama" feel. I know people heard fans of the books bitching about size, and then took THAT opinion as their "own", but Cruise's size doesn't matter. At all. In fact, I'd say his stature makes Reacher even MORE impressive, as his BRAINS are his most powerful weapons.

There's a pretty sweet car chase too, with a great ending. If a little far-fetched.

Seriously, check it out.

I was about to buy the Blu-Ray on Black Thursday AKA Thanksgiving but I had more Blu-Rays in my hand than budget would allow so I started putting some back. Jack Reacher was one of those I put back. Maybe I shouldn't have. I'm sure though I'll find a deal again.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Did you read my 'Zombieland' reply up above?
I did.

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I'm a Zombieland fan from way back. In fact, the night I saw Zombieland could be turned into an independent movie. Anyway, loved it then, love it now and always hoped for a sequel.

Actually, what REALLY killed it was the producers were going to make a 'Zombieland' tv series:

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2013/05/zombieland-tv-series-not-picked-up-by-amazon

“Zombieland” TV series not picked up by Amazon

At least director Eli Craig has a backup plan.

It turns out that “Zombieland” TV series on Amazon isn’t going anywhere after all. After inviting viewers to check out the pilot of the show, Amazon opted not to pick the show up to series. Its creators, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, are invited to take it elsewhere, but based on the low budget nature of the show and the fact it doesn’t have any recognizable stars, that option doesn’t seem likely.

Fortunately pilot director Eli Craig has another project up his sleeve. The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the “Tucker and Dale vs. Evil” helmer will next work on “Little Evil,” a dark comedy he also wrote. Plot details are being kept under wraps at the moment.

This is sad news for the “Zombieland” series, but also unsurprisingly. Sure, the selling point of “Zombieland: The Series” was supposed to be that the film was originally conceived as a television show, but it didn’t quite work when it was finaly created. By replacing Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson and Abigail Breslin with Kirk Ward, Maiara Walsh, Tyler Ross and Izabela Vidovic, “Zombieland” lost a lot of its charm.

Still, maybe the concept could live on elsewhere. Netflix could easily take it over, give it a makeover, maybe find new stars and make it something worth watching. Until then, we’ll just rewatch the movie and start craving Twinkies.

Are you disappointed that “Zombieland: The Series” isn’t going to happen? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.
My understanding, and this could be off, was that part of the reason they ever developed the concept for TV was partly because of problems with reassembling the cast for a sequel. I couldn't tell you where I read that but I swear to think it popped up somewhere. For sure Harrelson was on record saying he's not up for sequels to any of his movies (that was then, this is now, I guess) and perhaps I connected those two where they shouldn't be.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:35 pm

I saw 'Edge of Tomorrow' last week, and have been meaning to write a review. This thread seems like the right place, because more people should be seeing this film.

I'm sure you get the gist of what the movie's about from the TV spots and trailers. Tom Cruise is a weak-knee'd PR flack for the military. He's forced into combat, where he is completely unready for what that entails. And he's not shy about saying so. Things go bad, but something happens that causes him to awaken back to the same morning he just lived.

Of course he tries to convince people of what's happening, to no avail. So he tries changing things he has lived thru already more than once. It's not until he meets Emily Blunt, that he starts to realize just what is happening to him, and what they need to do to win. I won't go into much more than this, because you really need to see it for yourself.

I know Tom Cruise has a reputation, being the Scientologist "Jesus" and all, but the guy RARELY disappoints. He makes GOOD films. 'Jack Reacher' deserved better. 'Oblivion' deserved better. And now 'Edge of Tomorrow' deserves better. Watching Cruise get slaughtered over and over is a lot of fun. Him growing into a REAL solder is as well. He and Blunt play off each other really well, and the effects are top notch.

My only real complaints are, we didn't see enough of the aliens. I really dug the way they looked, and would have liked seeing more of them. The other is the very end. I think they could have made things a little more clear for Joe Average Public. I got it, but I can see how others might have been left scratching their heads.

All-in-all, I give it a 4 out of 5. See it, if you want to have a good time at the movies.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:28 pm

I haven't seen it but I know it opened in 3rd place opening weekend. What's puzzling here is that it seemed like it got good reviews beforehand so why the lack of audience support? I like Tom's films too but I suspect audiences have never forgotten (or forgiven) that rant he did on Oprah's show. And the whole Scientology thing doesn't help his cause either. I suppose neither did Katie Holmes. I'm thinking he basically shot his career in the foot.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2