Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here*

+2
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 2 Empty Re: It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here*

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Well the red trunks maybe gone but after looking at a closer inspection I do see some red patterns above & under his waist which would mean they found some way to break up the blue without the use of red trunks which I've anticipated that they would!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 2 Empty Re: It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here*

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 pm

non_amos wrote:I've noticed that some of the pics are showing guys in mo-caps suits besides Shannon. The other day that CBM site showed the one people were thinking was Russell Crowe but they showed an enlarged pic & it didn't look like Crowe. So if not Crowe, then who is that dude? And if I'm not mistaken, there seem to be some 'extras', if they're extras, in mo-cap suits. So what's going on here?! Are the extras just stunt men? Or are they additional Kryptonians? I know we've wondered about Jax-Ur but there's been no official announcement. But if it's not Jax-Ur, then who are these guys? Are they just 'Kryptonian muscle', possibly nameless? Maybe part of Zod's army?

Since we don't enough about the script yet then how can we know? Ya know what, it makes me think of SMALLVILLE......again! I forget which season it was but before Zod's phantom ever showed up to possess Lex, there were other Kryptonians who showed up in the flesh! I specifically remember a black guy & a white woman & I believe it was insinuated there were others as well. I seem to recall this 'alien invasion' really concerning Lex & the military was beginning to get involved. Gee, does what we're hearing NOW sound familiar?!

So Zod possibly shows up with an entourage but possibly only he & Faora count as far as having names?

I have a feeling that once Zod & Faora decide to start whoopin' some ass, they find out a way to release other Phantom Zone criminals by the end of the film. This not only ups the action quotient, but also gives us something we've never seen in a Superman film before.

My prediction, anyway.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Well the red trunks maybe gone but after looking at a closer inspection I do see some red patterns above & under his waist which would mean they found some way to break up the blue without the use of red trunks which I've anticipated that they would!

But YOU hate Superman, so your opinion isn't valid.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Like ap and I both said hopefully with how much time there will be between post production and film release that maybe they will do some edits to the suits costume by the release of film. If they got the money to do cg costume for zod and what ever else is the other mo-cap actors. To edit any full view shots of waists for film for trunks.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
But YOU hate Superman, so your opinion isn't valid.

I don't think my opinion has ever been valid since some members here don't agree with any of them! Rolling Eyes

Also, yes I do hate Superman... FROM THE LAST FILM since we have to wait seven more fucking years to get another and better "Superman" film this time! Of course you think that me believeing a more updated/modern approach symbolizes that I dislike the character which I find complete ludicrous BTW considering that you think that an update/modern approach will ruin the film which of course an update/modern approach is exactly what we're getting and the chances of it looking terrible is pretty much silm at this point!

So by all means I suggest you deal with it, I know I'am!!! tongue

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I don't think my opinion has ever been valid since some members here agrees with any of them! Rolling Eyes

Exactly right. Your opinions are fucking cow dung as far as I'M concerned.

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Also, yes I do hate Superman

And there you go. Exactly what we all already knew about you.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:49 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Also, yes I do hate Superman

And there you go. Exactly what we all already knew about you.

I take it you didn't read the rest of my post!!! I suggest you go back and re-read my post again cause I think you might have miss something!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 2 Derp3
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:53 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Also, yes I do hate Superman... FROM THE LAST FILM since we have to wait seven more fucking years to get another and better "Superman" film this time! Of course you think that me believeing a more updated/modern approach symbolizes that I dislike the character which I find complete ludicrous BTW considering that you think that an update/modern approach will ruin the film which of course an update/modern approach is exactly what we're getting and the chances of it looking terrible is pretty much silm at this point!
"Look[ing] silly" is subjective. What isn't really up for grabs is how radical a departure removing the trunks really is. It simply doesn't like look Superman unless he has the trunks. And this is coming from someone who otherwise likes the MOS suit based on the pics we've seen up to now.

So by all means I suggest you deal with it, I know I'am!!! tongue
I can't speak for anybody else but I for one don't have a problem with modernization in terms of putting Superman in today's world or otherwise updating the core mythos in a way that works in a modern setting. The key here isn't pointless change but sticking true to the mythos while at the same time telling a modern story for modern audiences. Done correctly, I think a reverential update has a pretty good track record, whether in comics (Man of Steel, Birthright, et al) or in media (SV, L&C, etc).

What I at least object to is the unnecessary redesign of The Suit. It's lasted for DECADES without any major alteration. Don't ever believe what Bryan Singer said at Comic Con. The Suit we saw in Action Comics #1 isn't vastly different from what has been published in the comics until this very month.

Deleting the trunks from the equation is unnecessary and smacks of a hand-wringing insecurity in the source material, esp considering how good the MOS costume is otherwise.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 am

It's really unbelievable that, after all of this time, this guy doesn't understand that we don't just take "opinions" at face value.

Never does he back-up his opinions with facts, never does he have a convincing argument for anything he "thinks". He just wants to spout his bullshit opinion, and have everyone just accept it. Guess who was FAMOUS for doing that?

Apologists.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:16 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:It's really unbelievable that, after all of this time, this guy doesn't understand that we don't just take "opinions" at face value.

Never does he back-up his opinions with facts, never does he have a convincing argument for anything he "thinks". He just wants to spout his bullshit opinion, and have everyone just accept it. Guess who was FAMOUS for doing that?

Apologists.
Hey, I'm trying to give the dude the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we're just talking past one another. But so far (and Comic Book Fan? Consider this an invitation to clarify your position) it looks like you're right. "We need a modernization!" If you mean the world in which the story takes place... yeah, maybe so. If you mean The Suit, the characters, the mythos and other non-negotiables... frankly no, we don't.

Again, Comic Book Fan, jump in here anytime. To support my argument, I submit Byrne's MOS and, indeed, the entire Byrne Age. Those comics, love or hate the era, brought Superman into the then modern day without sacrificing who he is or what he's all about. Outside the comics, you've got SV, STAS and L&C. Those shows may have had some low points but they set out with the idea of being true to the character on their terms. The final products may or may not be everyone's brand of vodka but they never sacrificed what Superman is all about just for a few ratings points.

Conversely, Tim Burton's ideas were so horrifying that WB refused to let him make his movie. People criticize the piss out of WB but folks THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE MOVIE. Even THEY knew it was going to be a turkey.

That's my case and those are my points. Deconstruct them if you can with facts instead of opinions and feeeeeeeeeeeeelings.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 am

Well with all that being said yes it is ture that Supes has been set in modern times many times over. He has to, like most comic book characters including the ones from DC and especially the ones from Marvel so that the modern masses can have something to appeal to. Even the ones that has been around for decades can still hold up in modern times just as long it's executed just right and not much has change in terms of style and tradtion.

Why do you think I perfer a "Superman" film with a mix of modernization & tradition? With those elements mix together you get a modern setting while retaining some styles of old and if executed properly you got a "Superman" film that'll appeal to old and new generations.

In regrads to MOS, this is pratically what were getting and gives me another reason to support whats been brought to the table so far. But one thing is for curtain is that we'll have to wait upon it's release before giving a final verdict!

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:18 am

Oy! From your friendly neighborhood Homopage:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=10202#comments

Currently nearing 200 comments. i don't feel like sorting through all of them but here's the lowdown from Fagley's own replacement, ScottyV:

#159 | Scotty V on August 24, 2011 8:28pm EST
We've already had a warning from Steve Wright everyone. I'll just chime in and say some more of these comments after his warning are still attacking and baiting. Everyone can have their opinion and it's ok to disagree, but we cannot resort to name-calling and insults.

For the record I think the new suit looks good. But we're only seeing very grainy imagery from many yards away and these aren't official nor are they indicative of what they will look like in the film.

I think there is some truth to the idea that Superman needs to be changed, updated and modified to fit with the times. I myself have had to defend the look of the briefs my whole life. Christopher Reeve's exact costume would not work for today's audiences and those films are quite flawed. I enjoyed SR and thought the suit was just fine. But the truth is that Superman's uniform changes with as many artists as there are that draw it.

In the relaunch Superman will be wearing an armored version of something very similar to his normla costume with a higher collar and no briefs. It appears that in this new film they are currently attempting to adapt a look similar to the ont hat will be the norm in the comics for over two years by the time the film arrives. I think this is a good idea. It makes no sense to change the costume and make the character younger on the page, while at the same time trying to introduce a new generation of movie goers to Superman but have him in a different suit.

Henry's suit may be somewhat padded but it appears to me as if he's got alot of his own bulk as well. The comparison pohoto posted by SomNam is slightly unfair as those pics of Chris Evans are from the film, while the pics of Henry are from some time ago. Also, if you look at the first pic of Chris, in the white T-shirt, it looks manipped somehow or stretched. His look in CapAm, the bottom pic of him, is much leaner and looks more like an actual human body does.

Wonders never cease at duh Homopage, now do they?! But while I was there I found some manips & a direct comparison between Cavill's suit & ULTRAMAN. First a manip:

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 2 Superh10

Instantly looks better with the trunks, no? But instead, the real Cavill suit looks more like Ultraman:

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 2 Superu10

Could almost be a dead-ringer for Ultraman, sans gloves that is. Very interesting indeed!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:21 am

CBF

Superman has been his Earth’s protector since 1938, he is a cultural icon! His appeal is that he stands as a role model for all that is good and brought hope to a depression era America. Some one that would take care of those too weak to take care of themselves. Does he really belong or work in an America where fans beat each other senseless at a pre-season football game or gun each other down because of the side of the street they are walking down? Not really!

He has looked pretty much the same since Action Comics #1 and that is how he should remain, because he really cannot fit into our world. Too many people want him relevant to contemporary times and I can only ask “Why?”. This is shear madness, because he does not belong in our world. There are no menacing beasts like Doomsday for him to battle in our reality. To make him relevant in our world you need him to stop 9/11, or taking care of the mess in Somalia, or dropping in on a few despots and talking them into leaving office peacefully. He would need to find solutions to problems that there are no answers to in real life.

Superman cannot resolve our worlds problems and that is why we need to watch him in his! Superman can only exist in HIS universe. That universe can resemble this one, it just can NEVER be this one and trying to make him relevant to ours will end up destroying him.

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:27 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Well with all that being said yes it is ture the Supes has been set in modern times many times over. He has to, like most comic book characters including the ones from DC and especially the ones from Marvel so that the modern masses can have something to appeal to. Even the ones that has been around for decades can still hold up in modern times just as long it's executed just right and not much has change in terms of style and tradtion.

Why do you think I perfer a "Superman" film with a mix of modernization & tradition? With those elements mix together you get a modern setting while retaining some styles of old and if executed properly you got a "Superman" film that'll appeal to old and new generations.

In regrads to MOS, this is pratically what were getting and gives me another reason to support whats been brought to table so far. But one thing is for curtain is that we'll have to wait upon it's release before giving a final verdict!
Define "modernize". Define "update".

Do those or shut the fuck up.

Either way, stop wasting my time.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:00 am

thecolorsblend wrote:

Modernize: To create a property based on the settings of modern/current times involving in appearances, styles, backgrounds or characters. The verb tense for modern.

Update: An act to bring something or subject that is previously old up to the current date. Another term for modify.

There, it's done! BTW your time was never wasted!!!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 am

http://io9.com/5834168/henry-cavills-new-superman-goes-without-underpants-internet-freaks-out/

Henry Cavill’s Superman goes without underpants, internet freaks out

Where have Superman's famous red trunks gone? Henry Cavill was pictured on the set of Zack Snyder's Man of Steel without the traditional red bottoms of the Superman costume. The internet saw Commando Superman, and was not pleased.

Naturally a few folks were displeased by the disappearing trunks...

SigmaCenturion posted an entire editorial rant against the missing trunks at Comic Book Movie "

The main part of Superman's costume is a blue body suit. The trunks help to break up the blue and help unify his color scheme as well. Most of the time the trunks seem to be part of the body suit. The boots and cape separate from the main body suit. Without the trunks the only red on the body suit is found in the emblem or shield. When the trunks are gone the focus of the costume is pulled towards the blue body suit because the eye is drawn to larger objects defined by color... I think it is a big insult to older fans to change the costume after all this time. Nothing was wrong with the old suit. I hear reasons like its outdated and uncool or his costume doesn't make sense because it isn't armored. I don't think it needed changed at all.

On Newsarama the comments were fairly mixed, but there were plenty of pissed-off original Supes fans:

Mavrik:
He needs the red trunks in the comics and the movie. Superman does not translate well to the real world. He never has. So to try to modernize him in the comics or to make a more realistic version of him in the movies is impossible. Not without completely changing his look and at that point he's no longer Superman.
Charlie Says:
He looks naked without the red. Why would they do that to the most iconic costume in all of comics? Bad move.

Comments seem to be waning from "it's fine" to "it's the worst." But what do you think?

There didn't seem to be much at Newsrama but some asinine comments but here's the complete 'editorial' from CBM:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SigmaCenturion/news/?a=45066

My Opinion on the New Man Of Steel Suit and The Reboot Suit in general.

Rant on the WB choosing the reboot suit over the classic.

I recently saw a few set photos of the Superman costume for the Man of Steel. Apparently it is too much to ask for the classic costume. Apparently WB thinks thinks this reboot costume will fly for veteran fans of Superman. I'm more conservative when it comes to hero's costumes. Although half of fans called for an update to the costume half also called for the classic to stay. Why did the new suit win out over the classic? I think it's mainly to do with the big DC Comics reboot and bringing in more readers of the newer comics to the theaters with a similar costume.

However the suit worn by Henry already has had some liberties taken with the costume already throw on the no trunks part of the costume and then the design just falls apart and turns to complete shit. Using the wrong emblem shield for starters. The suit's material looks quite rubber like and padded but i think it will look a little better on actual film but by then i couldn't give a shit about because it's not the original.

I like the old costume better than the reboot suit and i think is better. Why do I think this? You could call me a DC Fanboy and call it quits. The suit is simple and recognized by practically everyone. The original design is simple, colorful and is pretty solid from a visual design aspect. The main part of Superman's costume is a blue body suit. The trunks help to break up the blue and help unify his color scheme as well. Most of the time the trunks seem to be part of the body suit. The boots and cape separate from the main body suit. Without the trunks the only red on the body suit is found in the emblem or shield. When the trunks are gone the focus of the costume is pulled towards the blue body suit because the eye is drawn to larger objects defined by color.

I think it is a big insult to older fans to change the costume after all this time. Nothing was wrong with the old suit. I hear reasons like its outdated and uncool or his costume doesn't make sense because it isn't armored. I don't think it needed changed at all. The armor idea just sounds stupid as hell. The part about it being outdated its part of the character now for a lot of people. The costume makes the hero identifiable. Changing it for the sake of change usually leads to inferior designs taking its place like the reboot suit did. There will probably be some who go i thought this was Superman when they see this new costume in the movie.

SigmaCenturion
8/23/2011

Seems to echo our own sentiments huh? Hopefully someone will hear the outcry & actually do something about it?! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 am

If the whole suit look is do to dc wanting snyergy between film/comics I still think its a bs change for nothing. When we seen things in comics not adapted for films/cartoons/tv shows in the past. I still hope in the end they decide to do some edits in post to fix things up.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm

I really think the backlash will affect this picture if they do not make the change to the more original suit. I am hopeful that our hero will LIVE to fight another day!

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:

Modernize: To create a property based on the settings of modern/current times involving in appearances, styles, backgrounds or characters. The verb tense for modern.

Update: An act to bring something or subject that is previously old up to the current date. Another term for modify.

There, it's done! BTW your time was never wasted!!!

Wow, talk about going right over an idiots head....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Rduce wrote:I really think the backlash will affect this picture if they do not make the change to the more original suit. I am hopeful that our hero will LIVE to fight another day!

I was thinking today that maybe the reason the trunks aren't on the suit NOW, is that maybe Snyder doesn't like the way they PHYSICALLY look. I think he is going to film it, and then in post add them back in so they look a little more "sleek" than Chris Reeve's suit, and not so retardingly "Speedo" as BJ Routh. Without actual physical trunks, they can play around with the length and design, without spending money and man hours on actually MAKING THEM.

Think about it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 pm

That is what i am hoping for still myself ap.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Wow, talk about going right over an idiots head....
There's a reason I never bothered with a reply to the derp. "I'm not saying we should destroy the characters... but if we have to modify them beyond all recognition, we should!"

Seriously, wtf am I supposed to do with that?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:44 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
There's a reason I never bothered with a reply to the derp. "I'm not saying we should destroy the characters... but if we have to modify them beyond all recognition, we should!"

Seriously, wtf am I supposed to do with that?

Now you're gettin' where I'm coming from....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:46 am

I find myself totally dumbfounded that a these pee-heads cannot grasp the concept that Superman is fantasy and should be left in his own world! I have yet to see any hue and cry for Frodo Baggins to put on sandals or Gollum to put on pants, because that’s how we do it in modern times!

Why is so hard for them to accept Middle Earth as it’s own Universe and Superman’s Earth as its own one too?

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next