Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:51 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Speaking of 'Captain America', did anyone else see the connection with 'Iron Man 2'?
Guess I missed it. Shouldn't be surprised that there is one though (CONTINUITY MATTERS!!!!). What was it?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Guess I missed it. Shouldn't be surprised that there is one though (CONTINUITY MATTERS!!!!). What was it?

Howard Stark finds the "Cosmic Cube" at the end of 'Captain America', correct?

Guess what was the basis for the new element Tony Stark created in 'Iron Man 2'?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Okay, right about now I'd usually type "okay, WB? You guys paying attention here?"

But then we all know that they're not...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:...

Okay, right about now I'd usually type "okay, WB? You guys paying attention here?"

But then we all know that they're not...

The Bros. Warner say:
Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread - Page 2 Ugly+twins+ozarks
"Herpy-Derpy"
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Captain america still going well internationally:
http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=44258
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 am

Sounds like good news to me. International audiences aren't afraid of unapologetic patriotism, whether it's their own country or someone else's.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 am

Current number estimates:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=captainamerica.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $164,732,000 52.8%
+ Foreign: $147,000,000 47.2%
= Worldwide: $311,732,000

Not bad, not bad at all! Wait until the DVD comes out. Thor too. I bet even the latest X-Men film will do well on DVD. To tell you the truth & I may have mentioned it in the past but Cap was one I was kinda worried about because of the whole 'America' angle. To a lot of morons out there, it's not 'PC' & I'm not just talking about foreigners. It's here too, even in Hollyweird. But Cap's final numbers are gonna speak for themselves!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 am

Ya great numbers for cap there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:01 am

I'm actually going to say, after repeated viewing of both, that 'THOR' is by far my favorite of the two. Which is NO slight to 'Captain America', becuase I REALLY dug it too. 'THOR' just seemed to be more up my alley.

Both will be mine on DVD though, this much I'm sure of.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I'm actually going to say, after repeated viewing of both, that 'THOR' is by far my favorite of the two. Which is NO slight to 'Captain America', becuase I REALLY dug it too. 'THOR' just seemed to be more up my alley.

Both will be mine on DVD though, this much I'm sure of.

Ditto! I think I liked Thor better too but I was also very pleasantly surprised with Cap! Like I said before, the other Cap films that I've seen left something to be desired so you go into this wondering, what's this gonna be? But as usual, score another point for Marvel Studios! And the 'period piece' aspect didn't seem to hurt it at all!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:16 am

Update from Box Office Mojo

Domestic: $164,732,000
Foreign: $147,000,000
Worldwide: $311,732,000
Budget: $140 mill

There are still more international territories to open up in (not least of which is Germany!) so my GUESS is that the movie will top out at around $320 mill (worldwide) or so. I can't say I'm an expert on international box office but I don't see room for the numbers to go up drastically higher than they already have... but, hey, I'm speaking from ignorance here so I'll probably get proven wrong like I did with Singerman and The Dark Knight.

Anywho...

EDIT- And yes, I will own both Thor and Cap on DVD. This I do affirm.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 am

And like your TOTAL over-estimation of BJ Routh in 'Dylan Does Dogs: Especially At Night'.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:And like your TOTAL over-estimation of BJ Routh in 'Dylan Does Dogs: Especially At Night'.....
I forget but didn't I predict something like $10 million? Yeesh, that was embarrassing...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:24 am

Will be nice if we can see it top out at around 350mill when all said is done. Both thor and cap I throughly enjoyed. Can't wait to get both on video and view over and over.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:24 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
Apologist Puncher wrote:And like your TOTAL over-estimation of BJ Routh in 'Dylan Does Dogs: Especially At Night'.....
I forget but didn't I predict something like $10 million? Yeesh, that was embarrassing...

I think it was 15 million. I think.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 am

non_amos wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:

I think it was 15 million. I think.
Well whatever. The final gross was about (or just under) $5 mill. So basically I gave that entire shoddy production WAY too much credit any way you care to slice it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:27 am

Just as a reminder to everyone, I predicted $5 million dollars TOPS.

Captain America: The First Avenger Box Office Thread - Page 2 Fonzy11jw4
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:38 pm

A little update, and probably last since it is pretty much done here in the Good Ol' US-A:

Production Budget: $140 million
Domestic: $168,677,000
+ Foreign: $157,000,000
= Worldwide:$325,677,000

I have a feeling it will do gang-buster business on DVD/Blu-Ray, and I will keep an eye on the numbers.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:23 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:A little update, and probably last since it is pretty much done here in the Good Ol' US-A:

Production Budget: $140 million
Domestic: $168,677,000
+ Foreign: $157,000,000
= Worldwide:$325,677,000

I have a feeling it will do gang-buster business on DVD/Blu-Ray, and I will keep an eye on the numbers.
I do too. The movie was better than the box office would let on. There was a point there when a lot of movies coming out were likewise better than the numbers would indicate (and yes, I include X-Men in that number).

And I agree, the DVD figures should be interesting. I don't foresee Marvel cancelling a Cap sequel either way but the DVD becoming a gravy train the way Batman Begins did (didn't that one do something like $100 or $150 mill in DVD's? Too lazy to check but I thought it was something like that) seems absolutely doable under the circumstances. And hey, maybe they could throw a new Avengers trailer or something on there.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
I do too. The movie was better than the box office would let on. There was a point there when a lot of movies coming out were likewise better than the numbers would indicate (and yes, I include X-Men in that number).

It definitely deserved to do better, and I think a pre/post 4th of July release date would have helped it tremendously. I know 'Transformers' came out on the 1st, but the box office CAN support two blockbusters at one time. And the competition for CA was a lot harder for it's original release date.

'Harry Potter 7 Part 2'
'Cowboys & Aliens'
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'

All came out around the same time.

And I agree, the DVD figures should be interesting. I don't foresee Marvel cancelling a Cap sequel either way but the DVD becoming a gravy train the way Batman Begins did (didn't that one do something like $100 or $150 mill in DVD's? Too lazy to check but I thought it was something like that) seems absolutely doable under the circumstances. And hey, maybe they could throw a new Avengers trailer or something on there.

I can't find the exact numbers, but it was definitely up there. I think when the 'THOR' numbers start coming in, we'll get a basis to gauge potential CA figures.

But I say $150-175 million.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:51 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I can't find the exact numbers, but it was definitely up there. I think when the 'THOR' numbers start coming in, we'll get a basis to gauge potential CA figures.
Well, not to drag this thing too far off topic but my understanding is that WB was at best lukewarm on a sequel to BB until they made a shit ton of money from the DVD sales. Thus when Chris Nolan pitched a sequel idea... they were ready to listen.

But I say $150-175 million.
Sounds realistic enough to me. Anecdotal "evidence" doesn't take you very far but I don't know/haven't met even ONE person who's seen Cap who didn't dig the hell out of it. Assuming that's a universal quality, I'd have to assume the DVD figures will eventually bear that out.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Still domestic and intl numbers are pretty good for this character. I too hope the video numbers will help bump it up also.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 am

'Captain America' Brings in $5 million dollars in China over the weekend:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=46208

"Fifth was Paramount’s release of comic book adaptation Captain America: The First Avenger, which opened in China ($5 million over three days from 7,000 sites), and drew $8 million on the weekend overall from 9,039 situations in 60 territories."
Still needs to open in Japan.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:04 am

Not a bad haul for China in general... but esp when you consider what the subject matter is all about.

Japan's good for, what, another $2 or $3 million?

Cap has been a stronger performer on the international market than the haters would've had you first believe. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I suspect the sequel will do that extra bit better now that Cap's more of a known quantity.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:32 am

Nice to hear it did well in china.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2