Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel?

+2
thecolorsblend
non_amos
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel? Empty Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel?

Post  non_amos Mon May 16, 2011 1:44 am

I found this link when reading some of duh apologists crap over at duh Homopage:

http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2011/05/hollywood-insider-will-superman-tom-welling-fly-to-marvel/

Hollywood Insider : Will Superman Tom Welling fly to Marvel?

By Hollywood Insider | May 10, 2011

Update! : Sources - sources who would know - tell me (over email and then over the phone) that ‘Welling isn’t up for Doctor Strange, and hasn’t been approached for any Marvel property yet, ‘but that doesn’t mean there isn’t interest in him”. Um.. yeah… what I say? So there you go, the bigboys are likely interested in him but not for any particular role at this point in time.

A quick one today, and only because I’m on deadline.

Tom Welling is now taking offers.

Firstly, the newly unemployed actor/producer is said to be on Marvel’s radar. Why this is interesting is because Welling has just finished up playing Clark Kent (Superman) on Smallville, based on the popular DC Comics’ - Marvel’s competition - character.

You’d think after spending ten years playing a comic book character, an extra few years playing crimefighter would be the furthest thing from Welling’s mind - but it’s not, he’s up for playing a superhero again (you’ll recall he tested for Superman Returns a couple of years ago; if he had gotten it, he would’ve been playing Clark Kent a lot longer). Guess you stick with what you know. And like. And enjoy.

Don’t know what film, if any one in particular, Marvel is looking at Welling for but they do have film adaptations of Deathlok, Runaways and Doctor Strange in the works. If it’s one of those three, I think the safe bet is Welling is being considered for Strange. Be interesting to know if Warner Bros, who are in bed with DC, are courting Welling - our contact didn’t know.

Welling has also been checked out for a “new Snow White film that Kristen Stewart is doing” but that film, Snow White and the Huntsman, found it’s leading man this week in Thor star Chris Hemsworth.

And then there’s an Allen Quartermain reboot that Smallville vet Alfted Gough is producing. Gough is apparently quite keen on working with the 34 year old actor, and executive producer of cheerleading series Hellcats, again and there’s been talk of Welling doing this one. Sam Worthington had been previously attached to play the lead role, so one can only assume that Worthington is no longer onboard, that the studio are keeping their options open (Gough would be, as expected, keener on casting Welling no doubt) or there’s a juicy supporting role in there that calls for a ‘Clark Kent’ type.

No unemployment benefits needed, by the sounds of it, Tom.

Not really sure about the validity of this. Shouldn't this be over there at that 'comicbookmovie' place?! bounce
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel? Empty Re: Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel?

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 16, 2011 2:26 am

Excuse me... but what the fuck? What's up with that guy's dickhead "tone" in that article? It's like the prick is looking down his nose at Welling for some reason. $10 says if the subject of the article was Blandon The Bartender, the article would've been a bit more even-handed. I know nothing about that page so are they another Singer-sucker site or what?

Singer needs to start paying all these volunteer flacks.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

I saw that story last week too myself. It would be pretty neat to see welling do another hero film. For dc or marvel. I dont know who in marvel i could see tom working as myself. But its a fun thought to have. Though i dont really see him if he did do a marvel movie to do one that would require a multi picture deal. Since he does seem to want to branch out with more producing and directing stuff now. But hey you never know with actors they can change there minds and say one thing at one time and do something different later. I know i read an interview he said he wants to act still. But would like to get more hands on with the cw show his company produces "Hellcats" to probably create more shows. But cant wait to see what he does with his career.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 16, 2011 3:00 pm

My fear is that he's maybe being eye-balled for Daredevil. Obviously I like Tom Welling but he ain't Daredevil material.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm

if he does a marvel film i would think it would be more a marvel studios marvel film. Then one of the sill licensed out ones.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 16, 2011 3:05 pm

webhead2006 wrote:if he does a marvel film i would think it would be more a marvel studios marvel film. Then one of the sill licensed out ones.
I thought Daredevil had come back to Marvel Studios.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Last I heard no fox still has the rights. Though if I read correct information if they don't have anything really moving on it to 2013ish it will go back to marvel. Article I read before said it would have reverted after 5 yrs of nothing going on. But since fox did elextra film and matt had that cameo in the film and since she is part of the dd license it had bumped it to an additional 2-3 yrs more nothing have to go on t rights revert to marvel. Most recent character marvel got rights back to was punisher. Would have had ghost rider too if sony didn't start filming the sequel when they did.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel? Empty RE: Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel?

Post  non_amos Tue May 17, 2011 12:28 am

Why would they think that Welling is gonna play DR.STRANGE anyway?! I thought that role was being eye-balled by none other than 'Dr. McDreamy' himself, Patrick Dempsey? Not exactly recent links:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102846-patrick-dempsey-vies-for-doctor-strange

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/22/will-patrick-dempsey-play-doctor-strange/

Here's a more recent link:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/04/04/patrick-dempsey-dr-strange/

A quote:

"Hopefully, doing something like 'Transformers' is about to show myself in an action situation where I'm not mister-weepy-doctor guy, you know, not McDreamy. You have to change that in people's view. I'm still hungry for other things. I'd love to play Doctor Strange."

I know this doesn't automatically mean that Marvel's gonna hire him for the role but he's popular enough that they could consider it. I don't really see Welling as Dr. Strange. Maybe as some other Marvel character? The problem is, I don't know who?! How about letting him do POWERMAN since we didn't exactly get him in the full Superman suit? And get this, I remember Powerman wearing a RED JACKET! Other than that suggestion, I'm currently at a loss as to who Welling could play in the Marvel universe.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue May 17, 2011 12:38 am

Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel? Power-Man
I just can't see Welling as Power Man for some reason.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel? Power-Man
I just can't see Welling as Power Man for some reason.

NO! NO! NO! That's not the character I'm talking about. Wait a minute! I just thought for a moment to make sure if I had the right name. OOPS! I didn't! I meant WONDER MAN. My bad. Luke Cage didn't even cross my mind when posting that.

The WONDER MAN character was a Marvel character with 'Superman-like' strength & was probably actually one of their most powerful characters. Originally he wore some sort of costume with a mask. Then he was 'killed'. However, he then was 'resurrected' & has almost limitless strength, like Superman. I have googled the character before. Well, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Man

The pic on there has the costume I remember sans the mask. However, I know when I was reading the comics back in the 80's the character ended up wearing a RED JACKET with SHADES to hide his eyes, which incidentally are GLOWING RED. Hey! Does that sound like any other superhero we're aware of? Hmmm!

But yeah, that's the character I meant. Been a long night at work earlier I guess.

Shocked
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue May 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Why not this guy?

Will Tom Welling Go To Marvel? 95330-17378-iron-fist_super
IRON FIST

I don't know a lot about him, except he's rich and can do kung-fu. Why COULDN'T Welling play him?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Could be a nice fit, though ray park been circling that role for yrs. But who knows if that will happen for him.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue May 17, 2011 8:31 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Could be a nice fit, though ray park been circling that role for yrs. But who knows if that will happen for him.

Which actor has a built-in fanbase?

Think about it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BHoward Thu May 19, 2011 12:34 am

Crazy thought of the day. Maybe Marvel is being proactive and looking towards the day when they can get the Superman rights from the Siegel & Shuster family members after the legal battle is over and want Welling as their Superman. Crazy, huh?

BHoward
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 19, 2011 12:45 am

BHoward wrote:Crazy thought of the day. Maybe Marvel is being proactive and looking towards the day when they can get the Superman rights from the Siegel & Shuster family members after the legal battle is over and want Welling as their Superman. Crazy, huh?

Fuck it, that makes as much sense as anything else.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu May 19, 2011 12:54 am

Nope, don't see it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu May 19, 2011 4:56 am

Would be funny but do you really think it would go that far with the rights?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu May 19, 2011 10:48 am

webhead2006 wrote:Would be funny but do you really think it would go that far with the rights?

I hope not! What a travesty of justice it'll be if it does! Lawsuit, lawsuit, lawsuit!!!!! I think I'm like you Web, I hope ALL involved can reach some 'equitable' settlement, i.e., duh heirs get their greedy little hands on something that will shut them up once & for all & that WB/DC get to continue making comics, films, & other media. And fire Toberoff!

What duh heirs seem to forget is that Superman is now ingrained into the American pyche, from T-shirts to everything else, & even MARVEL getting Supes just wouldn't wash with most people! Even if they could make a better film.

'NUFF SAID!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Ya I know I doubt it would ever leave dc but come on heirs just make some damm deal already. Where you get x amount of money for x amount of yrs and let dc/wb have full control of rights and be done with it already.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 19, 2011 3:40 pm

non_amos wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Would be funny but do you really think it would go that far with the rights?

I hope not! What a travesty of justice it'll be if it does! Lawsuit, lawsuit, lawsuit!!!!! I think I'm like you Web, I hope ALL involved can reach some 'equitable' settlement, i.e., duh heirs get their greedy little hands on something that will shut them up once & for all & that WB/DC get to continue making comics, films, & other media. And fire Toberoff!
You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how many people don't agree with that. Don't get me wrong, you and I have similar views on this but it blows my mind how many fans want WB to lose the rights. I swear, those idiots have no idea what they're asking for.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu May 19, 2011 7:51 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how many people don't agree with that. Don't get me wrong, you and I have similar views on this but it blows my mind how many fans want WB to lose the rights. I swear, those idiots have no idea what they're asking for.

Because, like most young people today, they don't bother to search out the facts of the case. They just regurgitate what they have heard from other ignorant assholes.

It's fucking pathetic.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how many people don't agree with that. Don't get me wrong, you and I have similar views on this but it blows my mind how many fans want WB to lose the rights. I swear, those idiots have no idea what they're asking for.

Because, like most young people today, they don't bother to search out the facts of the case. They just regurgitate what they have heard from other ignorant assholes.

It's fucking pathetic.
Couldn't agree more. And worse, it's like they don't see a problem with a bunch of lawyers litigating a mutually agreed upon business deal into obsolescence. I mean, a deal is a deal. Maybe Siegel and Shuster made a bad deal but they made it. In life, you don't and shouldn't get a do-over when your idea that you voluntarily sold becomes a huge moneymaker. Life sucks, get over it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri May 20, 2011 7:54 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Couldn't agree more. And worse, it's like they don't see a problem with a bunch of lawyers litigating a mutually agreed upon business deal into obsolescence. I mean, a deal is a deal. Maybe Siegel and Shuster made a bad deal but they made it. In life, you don't and shouldn't get a do-over when your idea that you voluntarily sold becomes a huge moneymaker. Life sucks, get over it.

You know, I can at least understand the Heirs money-grubbing, but what I CAN'T understand is them giving that piece of shit "attorney" 50% of the rights. I mean, really? They'd rather SPLIT 50% of an incomplete character, than take 70-80% of the extremely lucrative settlement the Bros. Warner is offering?

They aren't any smarter business people than Siegel & Shuster, are they?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat May 21, 2011 2:02 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:You know, I can at least understand the Heirs money-grubbing, but what I CAN'T understand is them giving that piece of shit "attorney" 50% of the rights. I mean, really? They'd rather SPLIT 50% of an incomplete character, than take 70-80% of the extremely lucrative settlement the Bros. Warner is offering?

They aren't any smarter business people than Siegel & Shuster, are they?
Oh trust me dude, the irony of that wasn't lost on me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 22, 2011 12:38 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Oh trust me dude, the irony of that wasn't lost on me.

I counted on that....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next