Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 'All-Star Superman' Review

5 posters

Go down

My 'All-Star Superman' Review Empty My 'All-Star Superman' Review

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Just going to make it short and sweet.

Very good movie, and if you've never read 'All-Star Superman', I think you'll REALLY dig it.

There were quite a few things left out that probably should have been left in, and the voice actors they chose might not have been the best. Superman sounded almost bored throughout, and Lex Luthor's voice was a bit too "gravelly" for my taste. Lois and the rest of the cast was pretty spot-on though. Loved the score. Somber when needed, epic the rest of the time.

All in all, I say if you are a Superman fan, you should watch 'All-Star Superman'.

*EDIT* Oh, they DID pull a Singerman on us though: At one point, Luthor says: "Truth, justice, all those things he stands for"(Or something close to that), and the first thing I thought of was that shitty ass film. Definitely not a good thing.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

My 'All-Star Superman' Review Empty Re: My 'All-Star Superman' Review

Post  webhead2006 Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:18 pm

I hope to check out the film soon myself.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

It was okay but All-Star Superman had a lot of self-contained issues in it. You can't make an entire film out of the Superman vs. Lex stuff from those comics but throwing in the one-shot stories felt like padding out a thin run time.

Also... why did Jimmy dress in drag at the beginning? Yeah, the comics deal with that, there's a reason for it... but the movie never addresses it.

Anyway. Good overall though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:00 pm

I do wish there dtv would be longer. They all been what 70mins. At least a solid 95mins would give more time to do things.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:33 pm

webhead2006 wrote:I do wish there dtv would be longer. They all been what 70mins. At least a solid 95mins would give more time to do things.
The through-line of AS Superman is the Luthor plot, which doesn't amount to very much of the screen time. In terms of narrative and pacing, I'd argue that AS Superman, as a film, is padded out as it is. Given that the Kryptonian colonists thing and the Samson/Atlas stuff don't contribute much to the plot, they could've been cut... except then the movie would've lacked some Superman action scenes.

I'd argue the movie is just about as good as it could be in terms of pacing. A longer runtime would do AS Superman no favors.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:It was okay but All-Star Superman had a lot of self-contained issues in it. You can't make an entire film out of the Superman vs. Lex stuff from those comics but throwing in the one-shot stories felt like padding out a thin run time.

Like I said in my review, if you had never read 'All-Star Superman', you wouldn't notice and would have enjoyed it for what it was.

The one thing they left out that would have had a HUGE "emotional impact" was the emo girl scene. Seriously, why cut that out? Superman KNOWS he's dying, but STILL finds the time to give someone a reason to keep on living.

THAT is what Superman is all about.

Also... why did Jimmy dress in drag at the beginning? Yeah, the comics deal with that, there's a reason for it... but the movie never addresses it.

I believe it was just to say "See, Jimmy is QUIRKY!".

Anyway. Good overall though.

I liked it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

My 'All-Star Superman' Review Empty RE: My 'All-star Superman' Review

Post  non_amos Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm

"Also... why did Jimmy dress in drag at the beginning? Yeah, the comics deal with that, there's a reason for it... but the movie never addresses it."

But in SINGERMAN PEEPS Jimmy baked 'Clark' a cake. Hmmmm!?
Laughing
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  道 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:16 am

I have to say I actually enjoyed this one more than the limited series, for two reasons. One, Frank Quitely gets a disproportionate amount of love from the comic community and its creators, simply because he's willing to draw anything. Same goes for Leinil Yu. That doesn't fly with me. Quitely's style is inconsistent from panel to panel, not to mention cribbed from much more talented artists like Moebius and Geoff Darrow. So, the story greatly benefited from the unified art style on the DVD.

Secondly, Grant Morrison can't tell a self-contained story to save his life. The middle of the story, where all the JLA One Million crossovers happen, is classic Morrison blundering. Look, that should be the LSH, not Superman's descendants. It robs the story of some of its specialness to know that Superman HAS descendants, that early in the story. Also, Mechano-Man should be Metallo (or at the very least Toyman), and where the FUCK is Brainiac? If this is the END of Superman's career, don't you think he should at least take care of his major responsibilities before shuffling off this mortal coil? The DVD skips all of these blunders in the mini by overlooking them entirely.

Basically the only thing I fault the DVD for is not including issue 10. That's it. I'm even OK with Superman saying he's all out of mercy, because... Solaris is a frickin' machine! It'd be one thing if he said that to Luthor, but he said it to a bloody computer already. No worries from me on that count. And besides all that... a repentant Luthor? helping Superman at long last? YES. FUCK YES. IT'S. ABOUT. DAMN. TIME.

Dwayne McDuffie actually improved this story, IMNSHO.
道
Target
Target

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 pm

道 wrote:I have to say I actually enjoyed this one more than the limited series, for two reasons. One, Frank Quitely gets a disproportionate amount of love from the comic community and its creators, simply because he's willing to draw anything. Same goes for Leinil Yu. That doesn't fly with me. Quitely's style is inconsistent from panel to panel, not to mention cribbed from much more talented artists like Moebius and Geoff Darrow. So, the story greatly benefited from the unified art style on the DVD.

Secondly, Grant Morrison can't tell a self-contained story to save his life. The middle of the story, where all the JLA One Million crossovers happen, is classic Morrison blundering. Look, that should be the LSH, not Superman's descendants. It robs the story of some of its specialness to know that Superman HAS descendants, that early in the story. Also, Mechano-Man should be Metallo (or at the very least Toyman), and where the FUCK is Brainiac? If this is the END of Superman's career, don't you think he should at least take care of his major responsibilities before shuffling off this mortal coil? The DVD skips all of these blunders in the mini by overlooking them entirely.

Basically the only thing I fault the DVD for is not including issue 10. That's it. I'm even OK with Superman saying he's all out of mercy, because... Solaris is a frickin' machine! It'd be one thing if he said that to Luthor, but he said it to a bloody computer already. No worries from me on that count. And besides all that... a repentant Luthor? helping Superman at long last? YES. FUCK YES. IT'S. ABOUT. DAMN. TIME.

Dwayne McDuffie actually improved this story, IMNSHO.

Hey, you ignorant little fuck, did you read my post saying I was going to the premiere here in California?

Suck it, peeter-puffer.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  道 Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:54 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Hey, you ignorant little fuck, did you read my post saying I was going to the premiere here in California?

Suck it, peeter-puffer.
Is there a point to that comment? Or are you just showing off?
道
Target
Target

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:53 pm

道 wrote:Is there a point to that comment? Or are you just showing off?

My 'All-Star Superman' Review Boring
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  道 Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:My 'All-Star Superman' Review Boring
Aww! Lookit the widdle baby! SO. CUTE!
道
Target