Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comic book inspiration

4 posters

Go down

Comic book inspiration Empty Comic book inspiration

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I figure this thread can be a dumping ground for this sort of thing.

Zack Snyder to the LA Times wrote:For Snyder, he narrowed it down to a two-man split decision: Jim Lee and Curt Swan.

Swan’s work on Superman spanned five decades and there was a sort of noble, even gentle aura to his work and an absence of flash and grit – the bank robbers in Metropolis even wore coats and ties to work — that create a time-capsule vibe now. In the summer of 2006, the U.S. postal service released a new Superman stamp featuring the art of Swan (inked by Sheldon Moldoff) and the elemental appeal of the image still sticks with Snyder.

"It’s funny, I have that stamp image — it’s him tearing open his jacket. Its got a retro vibe to it, it’s cool. That’s the background on my iPad. It’s Curt Swan and the way he draws that jawline, it is like Mt. Rushmore, totally, or like ‘The Incredibles.’ Swan is really good."
URL- http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/05/zack-snyder-my-favorite-superman-artist-is

This is good. Really good. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Jim Lee's Superman but as far as Curt Swan is concerned, either (A) you respect Curt Swan's work or (B) you don't know jack friggin shit about Superman comics and the history thereof. There really is no middle ground on this. The fact that Snyder mentioned Swan is great news. The entire tone of the article suggests that he's going to the entire history of the comics for his inspiration. Novel fucking idea, I know, but it seems that's what he's doing.

You compare this to Singer, who used 90% Richard Donner, 9% his own agenda and then mixed up the rest with a famous comic book cover here or there and instantly you see a pretty huge change in attitude regarding the material.

Even so, I want to be clear. Although this is definitely reason for hope, this reboot remains guilty until proven innocent. I refuse to completely exonerate the damned thing (assuming it's ever worthy of it) until after the credits roll on opening night.

Now, I don't think it's usually my business to compliment the Younis page or the members thereof for anything. I usually leave that to the circle jerk that is their forum. Even so, one Younis page commenter wrote...

Younis page member wrote:#2 | lurker on February 5, 2011 4:23pm EST
I have my favorites, but really do enjoy seeing how different artists interpret the character. I don't care if his publicist put the name in his mouth, its good to hear someone making a comic book movie namecheck Curt Swan. Very, very different from back in the day when directors and actors made sure that they told the hosts on late night talk shows that they "never read comics" while giving a wry smile, and that their movie was something "beyond what the comics were doing" or, always nightmarish, a "re-imagining" (ie: we threw out the baby with the bathwater). Its nice to see the people responsible for the character understanding that the history is important, not just to keep nerds settled down, but that there's something to all that history.
URL- http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9219#comments

I piss on the Younis page and the people who post there any chance I get so I guess it's only fair to point out when one of them makes a good point. But on the other hand, even a broken clock is right twice a day so just keep that in mind.

All around, I'd argue there are some reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Comic book inspiration Empty Re: Comic book inspiration

Post  webhead2006 Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Well that is nice to hear what artists inspirations to snyder. I saw that story a few hrs ago. It was very nice read. Its like for me with spidey my fav artists are romita sr/jr and bagley. There is a few others but I am blanking on names. I hope nolans/snyder will hit it out of the park and do things right.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Comic book inspiration Empty RE: Comic Book Inspiration

Post  non_amos Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Colors, in that link you provided, who's the dude in the photo-shopped image of Reeve? That's not Cavill is it? If it is, it doesn't really look like the picture from last Sunday of Cavill with the beard.

Speaking of that article, there ain't but a handful of comments but here let me quote:

"Comments (4)

macca · 8 hours ago
I hope they lose the underwear, over the tights in the next movie.

John · 4 hours ago
Of course not! The underwear ("briefs") HAVE TO stay! It's the classic Superman costume!

Johnny · 3 hours ago
Amen.

nelson · 2 hours ago
lol yeah lets get rid of spiderman webbing while were at it lol

or batmans ears"

So we have yet another apologist whining for them to 'get rid of the underwear'! SHEESH! Gimme a break! WHY do duh apologists always have to resort to that?!

As for artists, I grew up with Curt Swan's work & really loved it. As for Snyder being influenced by him, it sounds better than Singer with 'I really didn't read the comics; I followed Donner'. Let's hope that the film will benefit from someone who actually gives a crap! But how come no one is bringing up Dan Jurgens? I enjoyed his work as well & he was the artist when they did The Death of Superman.

As for Superman art these days, why is Superman always pictured as being demonic?! Whether it's 'Superboy-Prime' or that new video game, Supes is pictured with the glowing red evil eyes. Not family friendly to say the least!

Last edited by non_amos on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:43 pm

non_amos wrote:Colors, in that link you provided, who's the dude in the photo-shopped image of Reeve? That's not Cavill is it?
The LA Times article has a Photoshopped pic of Reeve with (a young) Clint Eastwood's head on top as a companion piece to their "Clint Eastwood was offered the role of Superman back in the 70's" piece. Is that what you're talking about?

So we have yet another apologist whining for them to 'get rid of the underwear'! SHEESH! Gimme a break! WHY do duh apologists always have to resort to that?!
Idiots. It's one of those ideas that may sound okay in theory but you ever seen a version of The Suit without the trunks? You need something there (from a graphic design standpoint) to break up all that blue. Red trunks do the job nicely. There's reason the basic uniform has endured all these years. You're exactly right in this. Why do they do it? Because they're Apologists. Trying to figure out their psychology is an exercise in futility.

And yes, Mr. Singer, The Suit is largely unchanged, whatever BS rationalizations you make up to justify turning the thing into a fetish wetsuit.

As for artists, I grew up with Curt Swan's work & really loved it,
Good man. I find he's not as universally loved as he should be, mostly by these fucking kids today who think Richard Donner, Al Gough and Miles Millar created Superman.

But how come no one is bringing up Dan Jurgens? I enjoyed his work as well & he was the artist when they did The Death of Superman.
Don't know, actually. You know that whole "let's make this nothing but a non-stop fight" thing with the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 panel arrangement in each issue? That came from Jurgens. He was an amazing penciller for your more iconic characters. Very underrated. In fact, that whole crew tends to be largely overlooked these days (which is sad).

As for Superman art these days, why is Superman always pictured as being demonic?! Whether it's 'Superboy-Prime' or that new video game, Supes is pictured with the glowing red evil eyes. Not family friendly to say the least!
Because that looks cool. Superman's a perpetually pissed off, unshaven brute, didn't you know? Get with it!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:31 am

I was always partial to Jon Bogdanove when I was younger:
Comic book inspiration Superman-man-of-steel-1

But it's good to hear that Snyder basically said HIS Superman ain't gonna be no 100% Georgia Pine toothpick like BJ.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm

It is nice lol. Also ap what yrs did that artist you mention draw supes?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

webhead2006 wrote:It is nice lol. Also ap what yrs did that artist you mention draw supes?

Per Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bogdanove#DC_Comics
DC Comics
Action Comics #600 (1 page only), 667 (1988-1991)
Adventures of Superman #480, 500 (1991-1993)
Batman #566 (1999)
Countdown #21, 15 (2008)
DC Comics Presents: The Atom #1 (2004)
DC Infinite Halloween Special #1 (2007)
Secret Origins of Super-Villains 80-Page Giant #1 (1999)
Steel: Crucible of Freedom (Elseworlds)
Superman #57, 200 (1991, 2004)
Superman & Savage Dragon: Metropolis #1 (1999)
Superman Forever #1 (1998)
Superman Red/Superman Blue #1 (1998)
Superman: The Man of Steel #1-68, 75-82, 85, #0, 134 (1991-1999, 2003)
Superman: The Wedding Album # (1996)
Who's Who in the DC Universe #11-13 (1991)
Who's Who in the DC Universe Update 1993 #1-2 (1992-1993)
Who's Who Update '87 #5 (1987)
Comic book inspiration 0000
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am

I dig Jon Bogdanove. He always came off like a modernized Joe Shuster. It's like Bog was what Shuster would've been had he gotten started in the 80's instead of the 30's.

Plus, Bog understood how important a comic book page was. When he was on his game (which was most of the time), there was simply never a wasted inch anywhere on his pages. His panel constructions and placements, his essential understanding of layouts, are really a thing to behold if you pay attention to nuances like that.

Jon Bog rocks!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:02 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I dig Jon Bogdanove. He always came off like a modernized Joe Shuster. It's like Bog was what Shuster would've been had he gotten started in the 80's instead of the 30's.

Plus, Bog understood how important a comic book page was. When he was on his game (which was most of the time), there was simply never a wasted inch anywhere on his pages. His panel constructions and placements, his essential understanding of layouts, are really a thing to behold if you pay attention to nuances like that.

Jon Bog rocks!

No doubt. There are some pictures of his work that looks like the spittin'-image of Shuster's Superman. But he definitely had his own style too.

Found one:
Comic book inspiration 1288902511-10956-4

Comic book inspiration Superman_Man_of_Steel_Vol_1_16
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:59 am

Comic book inspiration Badassery01

Comic book inspiration Badassery02
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks ap for dudes work.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:13 am

I REALLY dig this Curt Swan Superman drawing:
Comic book inspiration Curt-swan.-superman.-comic-conventions-poster-art.-001

Massive, without going into Ed McGuinness territory. This is what we need for 2012.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 am

Curt Swan wrote:"I soon learned it was better exaggerate the human form for dramatic effect. For instance, I enlarged Superman's muscles to impossible proportions - and then he looked right."
Not that it's really necessary, the guy's work speaks for itself. I really don't think I'd have much in common with someone who didn't dig on Curt Swan.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
Curt Swan wrote:"I soon learned it was better exaggerate the human form for dramatic effect. For instance, I enlarged Superman's muscles to impossible proportions - and then he looked right."
Not that it's really necessary, the guy's work speaks for itself. I really don't think I'd have much in common with someone who didn't dig on Curt Swan.

Like I said, it's what we need for 2012. No more of everything we have seen before.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:24 pm

That is a nice drawing. As for cavill I do hope he will get in good shape for role. He has the right time to do it. Plus if snyder had 300 actors trainging to get in shape. It will probably be same for superman. Can't wait to see what shape cavill ends with.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 am

Jim Lee's Superman:
Comic book inspiration Jim_lee_superman_batman.jpg.crop_display

Not too shabby.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher