Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES BOX OFFICE REPORTS

+2
webhead2006
non_amos
6 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES BOX OFFICE REPORTS - Page 2 Empty Re: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES BOX OFFICE REPORTS

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 am

Ya know, I hear talk shows on the radio early in the morning when I've gotten off work & they'll be talking about TDKR, i.e., the Aurora shooting, the box office & all of that. Even those radio hosts are acting like TDKR is the best thing since sliced bread. They're acting like it's the best Batman film ever! Am I missing something here? Personally I prefer the 1989 film but since most of this generation has forgotten that one, they at least have their precious TDK with Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance as the Joker. What's my point here? Have they forgotten that much lauded performance? Did Tom Hardly outdo Ledger this time around? You'd think so by the reviews I'm reading & listening to these pricks on the radio. Yeah, I enjoyed the new film but I'm not ignorant to it's flaws, Hardly Bane being chief among them. Like I said, piss-poor villains...............................................
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES BOX OFFICE REPORTS - Page 2 Empty Re: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES BOX OFFICE REPORTS

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 am

I agree there its is probably a little mixture of folks watching the games they do get big viewerships if I recall, and a bit of folks lerry on the whole shooting thing. But then it probably just folks where not apealed to the film like they where for bb or tdk. For me I saw it more for firrst wanting to see how nolan story/take ends, and the acting out of levitt and anne. But there was things like hady bane and other story beats I didn't care for.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:09 pm

non_amos wrote:Ya know, I hear talk shows on the radio early in the morning when I've gotten off work & they'll be talking about TDKR, i.e., the Aurora shooting, the box office & all of that. Even those radio hosts are acting like TDKR is the best thing since sliced bread. They're acting like it's the best Batman film ever! Am I missing something here? Personally I prefer the 1989 film but since most of this generation has forgotten that one, they at least have their precious TDK with Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance as the Joker. What's my point here? Have they forgotten that much lauded performance? Did Tom Hardly outdo Ledger this time around? You'd think so by the reviews I'm reading & listening to these pricks on the radio. Yeah, I enjoyed the new film but I'm not ignorant to it's flaws, Hardly Bane being chief among them. Like I said, piss-poor villains
Guess I hadn't paid attention too much to those things. To your point though, anybody who thinks Hardy was more entertaining than Ledger... y'know, I honestly don't know what to say to something that idiotic. It's not even about fidelity to the character (it's a losing argument either way in the vocabulary of the Nolan films so why split hairs?), it's about which grabs you more.

When I could understand wtf he was saying, I actually really liked Bane's voice. Yeah, it had those annoying telltale signs of being ADR/dubbed (ie, the voice doesn't come off like a sound in the environment; it seems like an external element overlaid on top of other sounds in the environment... in other words, it sounds exactly like what the fuck it is) but aside from that stuff I liked the cadence and timber of it. The lines themselves aren't too bad either from what I remember. But there's a lot more going to any character than that and it's hands down Ledger as far as I'm concerned. Call me crazy but I don't think Hardy is going to get too many Oscar nominations.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah, Ledger had the audience wrapped around his little finger so to speak. Sure, his untimely death no doubt had some effect on that but I also believe that people really 'riffed' on his performance too. And at least you could see his face! Did you ever really see Hardly's face? Sure, you saw his eyes & the 'eyes are the window to the soul' but still, with that ridiculous mask he had to wear? Sheesh! And here's something I'd like to know. Hardly Bane had to wear it to control pain, right? Well, what does he ever do about eating & drinking? How does he solve that problem? Did Nolan even consider that?!

But back to Ledger. It may not have been the interpretation of the Joker that I prefer but he still won the audience with what he had to work with. All that lip-smacking he did could get annoying at times but it was still light-years ahead of what we got out of Hardly. And ask yourself this. For both films, Nolan released a '6-minute prologue'. Which prologue do you think is better? I say TDK any day! That bank heist & the ultimate punchline associated with it was far better than some guy on a plane telling Hardly 'you're a big guy' & his response was 'to you'. I mean, Ledger even won the audience with that prologue for crying out loud! Hardly just looked ridiculous.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm

No doubt about it. In some ways, I have to thank Nolan because before he came along, I guess I hadn't really taken note of just how many Batman villains are superpowered, supernatural, over-the-top sci-fi or in some other way too outlandish to really fit in with a naturalistic, realistic setting. You can bet yer ass I realize it now though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm

TDKR box office:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=64691
UPDATE: BOX OFFICE: $17M Friday For THE DARK KNIGHT RISES; Now On Pace For $55M Weekend

The numbers just won't go up... While it was previously reported that Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises is set for a $60 million in its second weekend,that is probably not happening due to a huge 78% drop from the film's opening last week... WolvieCBM - 7/28/2012

According to official estimates, The Dark Knight Rises is now headed for $55 million in its second weekend. The Friday number was lower than expected, and instead of $20 million, it made around $17 million. This means the film had a big 78% drop from the opening last week, which is definitely not good. The overall weekend in US is down -30% from last year, and we'll see what happens.

The film is now on $400M+ at the worldwide box office, and it remains to be seen whether the international market will be huge, as many are predicting. Stay tuned for more box office updates.

UPDATE: Thanks to BoxOffice.com, we have the official Friday number:
"Boxoffice @Boxoffice

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES grossed $18.050 million domestically on Friday. Domestic cume = $243.061 million."

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Fuck's sake, I can't believe these jerks are making me defend the Nolan movies but apparently a little bit of education is in order here.

Now, I could be wrong but I swear to think the nigh universal consensus here at Watchdog was the third movie was NEVER going to hit TDK numbers. I don't even remember who first brought the subject up; I just remember it was barely discussed because there was virtually no dissenting opinion. We all seemed to know that so much of TDK's success was lightning in a bottle that a third movie, successful though it may be, would suffer by comparison. Shit, I think I even argued that Nolan may even come to that same conclusion and use it as an excuse to abandon ship (although he obviously didn't)!

In any case, we all pretty much agreed that "Batman 3" would be viewed as a "disappointment" even if the sucker hit $400 million in the US and $300 million internationally. Think about the stupidity of that for just a second! Box Office Mojo shows TDKRises' budget to be $250 million. Assuming you buy that and assuming the $400 million figure I just pulled out of my ass ends up being close to the mark... well, anybody who's ashamed of that kind of box office performance should have his head examined.

On the other hand, I'm for anything that brings the Nolanites back down to reality and if a "disappointing" theatrical run will do that... well, fine by me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:01 am

Like I said before..........

MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS HAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

The Avengers had a 50% drop it's 2nd weekend but that was still a little over 100 million! TDKR in comparison? That's pathetic! Don't believe the hype from duh media folks.
"Most anticipated film of the year."
Give me a break! But that's the sort of hyperbole I hear on TV & radio commercials & such about TDKR. But the numbers ain't confirming it are they? I still wouldn't be surprised to see it do better at the Oscars than Avengers though but there's no accounting for taste I guess.

But the people have spoken! lol!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:17 am

non_amos wrote:Like I said before..........

MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS HAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

The Avengers had a 50% drop it's 2nd weekend but that was still a little over 100 million! TDKR in comparison? That's pathetic! Don't believe the hype from duh media folks.
"Most anticipated film of the year."
Give me a break! But that's the sort of hyperbole I hear on TV & radio commercials & such about TDKR. But the numbers ain't confirming it are they? I still wouldn't be surprised to see it do better at the Oscars than Avengers though but there's no accounting for taste I guess.

But the people have spoken! lol!
Now that is true. If their respective box office takes are a pissing contest for bragging rights between rivaling fan factions (and at this point I think we can acknowledge that indeed they are)... well, unless WB wants to keep another tentpole film out there for four months until it hits some target number like they had to back in 2006, I'd say the contest is pretty much already over. Look at the numbers. Avengers came out on 05.04.2012. However, the 07.20 to 07.22.2012 weekend (ie, Week #15) was the movie's first sub-million dollar weekend. Before then? It was the 07.15 to 07.17.2012 weekend (ie, Week #7) before Avengers had a sub-ten million dollar weekend. I mean, for crying out loud, talk about a movie having legs! The numbers are just freakin insane!

Does anybody really think TDKRises is going to have that kind of shelf life? I guess it could but (A) I doubt it and (B) it still won't make much of a difference to the bottom line compared to Avengers.

And no, Nolanite assholes who may be lurking, the lack of a 3D release wouldn't bridge the gap between the two movies. Deal with it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:25 am

Yavengers has no worries no way it will do a bill. Right now it has total over 400mill totally. But it will probably just take another 200mill give or take dom/internationally. And probably end 400+ dom and 600+ internationally and counting how it does end 800+ for run. But if it keeps up big drop it made 78% in second week. Probably won't have much more steam domestically. And have to make it up internationally where most films usually do better at.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 am

I don't think it can all be blamed on the Aurora incident either. That was indeed regrettable & certainly more important than any film. However, people haven't really stopped going to movies. No, I think it would've dropped anyway & I think part of this is poor word-of-mouth. Avengers had excellent WOM & like you said, it took until the release of TDKR for it to perform less than a million. I think the problem with TDKR is the film itself. Hardly Bane ain't helping matters either. They not only changed the character but he just ended up being a 'stooge' for Talia. That's pissing some fans off. I've read the comments. I think the ending is another problem for some people.

TDKR just ain't true to the source material. Avengers pretty much is, plus it's a family film. It doesn't hurt to be a least a little comic booky. Ya know, I just wonder how much influence the teaser trailer for MOS had on the opening weekend for TDKR. I'd say it definitely had some.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:07 am

They're two different comic book films going for their own niche and both finding their own successes. THE AVENGERS is the more popular film (no doubt due to its family friendly appeal), but I don't see how that's a bad thing for TDKR. Being 100% faithful to the source material isn't necessarily the key to a successful box office run either, otherwise WATCHMEN should have banked big time.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 am

Well stock sure being faithful is what fans want and you can get away with changes to source as long aas they are good and all that. But nolan all realism approach isn't what all fans want to see. And like above wom is a key thing in repeat/new business which is where avengers was good on source, solid made film and great legs/wom. Wherre as tdkr has issues with being less family friendly, and fans not favoring hardy as bane.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:23 am

Thing is that fans are a minority in the grand scheme of things. I doubt your average viewer is upset at the depiction of Bane because he's not "exactly" the same as seen in the comics. Not everyone reads comics, and it's likely a great many people aren't even that familiar with Bane at all.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:26 am

James Stocks wrote:Thing is that fans are a minority in the grand scheme of things. I doubt your average viewer is upset at the depiction of Bane because he's not "exactly" the same as seen in the comics. Not everyone reads comics, and it's likely a great many people aren't even that familiar with Bane at all.

Exactly why they should've used the Riddler like WB wanted them to. Even the Penguin would've been preferable to this. Household brand name recognition certainly couldn't have hurt anything.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 am

True but still how charracter turrns out and wom isn't stellar here as ledger was pre/post deaath for joker.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:36 am

non_amos wrote:
James Stocks wrote:Thing is that fans are a minority in the grand scheme of things. I doubt your average viewer is upset at the depiction of Bane because he's not "exactly" the same as seen in the comics. Not everyone reads comics, and it's likely a great many people aren't even that familiar with Bane at all.

Exactly why they should've used the Riddler like WB wanted them to. Even the Penguin would've been preferable to this. Household brand name recognition certainly couldn't have hurt anything.

Sure, but that kind of mentality might hurt the chances of other villains getting their due. That's like saying it's better to use Lex Luthor again instead of Brainiac because the former holds more household brand name recognition. Going with Riddler might have turned out fine, but I'm happy Nolan decided to go with a different name like he did in BEGINS with Ra's, Scarecrow and to a lesser extent Falcone. There's a whole set of villains in the comics that have not been used, it would be a shame if Batman films only rotated with Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman over and over again.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:37 am

non_amos wrote:Exactly why they should've used the Riddler like WB wanted them to. Even the Penguin would've been preferable to this. Household brand name recognition certainly couldn't have hurt anything.
Who even says it has to be either or? Why not use Bane AND someone more recognizable to the public? Riddler, Penguin, whoever. If Bane has to be somebody's pit bull (as seems to be the case in live action), why not go with a villain more familiar to wide audiences than Talia al-Ghul?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:43 am

I'd say the inclusion of Catwoman makes up for that.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 am

James Stocks wrote:I'd say the inclusion of Catwoman makes up for that.
Really? Because it hasn't so far.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:50 am

Uhhh, don't you mean 'Selina Kyle'? Nolan said that she would not be called 'Catwoman' anywhere in the film. The closest I believe is that she was referred to as a 'cat burglar'. I also feel like Ca-, I mean, Selina is like 'weak sauce' when you could have 'awesome sauce'. As for the Brianiac comment, fans actually do want Brainiac rather than Luthor.

Ya know what? It even looked like the Riddler was possibly being set up at the end of TDK, or rather that's what some fanboys read into it. Remember 'Mr. Reese' who was gonna expose Bruce Wayne? Some took his name to be MYSTERIES, i.e., Riddler.

Last edited by non_amos on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:58 am

thecolorsblend wrote:

What do you mean?
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:59 am

non_amos wrote:

Uhhh, don't you mean 'Selina Kyle'? Nolan said that she would not be called 'Catwoman' anywhere in the film. The closest I believe is that she was referred to as a 'cat burglar'. I also fill like Ca-, I mean, Selina is like 'weak sauce' when you could have 'awesome sauce'. As for the Brianiac comment, fans actually do want Brainiac rather than Luthor.

Ya know what? It even looked like the Riddler was possibly being set up at the end of TDK, or rather that's what some fanboys read into it. Remember 'Mr. Reese' who was gonna expose Bruce Wayne? Some took his name to be MYSTERIES, i.e., Riddler.

I'm not talking about fans, I'm talking about general audiences.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:09 am

James Stocks wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:

What do you mean?
She's in the movie. She's recognizable to wide audiences. TDKRises isn't doing quite the same business TDK did.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:15 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
James Stocks wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:

What do you mean?
She's in the movie. She's recognizable to wide audiences. TDKRises isn't doing quite the same business TDK did.

Ah, I wasn't talking about box office grossings at that moment, but rather name recognition. With newcomers Bane and Talia, you still get Catwoman.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next