Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd'

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 3 Empty Re: Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd'

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 am

Say what you want about Stallone's 'Judge Dredd', but his use of the line "I am the LAW" is FAR superior to Urban's.

And I am a BIG Karl Urban fan.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:24 pm

DREDD clip online:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 pm

It's been over 24 hours since this was stated in the press, and Urban HASN'T issued any kind of follow-up in the event of Sage Stallone's death. Fucking classless, and I think I'll be waiting for this to tore rent now. If you get what I mean.

Karl Urban Doesn't 'Give A Damn' About Stallone's 'Dredd'
'Tonally, these films couldn't be more different,' Urban tells MTV News at Comic-Con about 1994's 'Judge Dredd' vs. his upcoming movie.

SAN DIEGO — Sylvester Stallone was in a movie called "Judge Dredd." Karl Urban stars in "Dredd." Do not confuse the two.

If you do, Urban — the star of the latest film based on the famous series of British comics — might take issue. The actor has never hidden his feelings about Stallone's original take on the most famous judge of Mega City One, and when he and co-star Olivia Thirlby talked with MTV News for Comic-Con, he said the viewers' preference for either version comes down to a few key factors.

"I saw [Stallone's] movie when it came out in '94. Tonally, these films couldn't be more different," Urban said. "I think it's a difference of if you like your heroes wearing lycra and gold cod pieces, then his film's the one for you. If you like a badass movie where your heroes are real and wearing leather motorbike suits and body armor and hard-core, gritty, pull-no-punches, this is the movie for you."

This year's Comic-Con brought the world premiere of Urban's version of "Dredd," and the differences between this version and Stallone's couldn't have been more apparent. "Dredd" is a gritty, brutal, hard-R action flick without any of the gloss of Stallone's version.

With the Italian Stallion in San Diego presenting his new movie "The Expendables 2," there's a possibility Urban could run into the original Dredd, but he's not worried about Stallone's opinion.

"I don't give a damn what he thinks," he said.

"Dredd" opens in theaters September 21.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:21 pm

it would be nice if he commented on passing of sage. But just cause he said what he said about the 94 film. I don't see as being totally asshole/classless. But that is just my thought .
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Certainly Urban knows though about Stallone's son?! I didn't really know anything about him but still. It happened what, yesterday? Even if Urban doesn't like Stallone's version, there is such a thing as having some decency, respect & common sense. Take your own life for example. Someone dies in your own family for example. What you'll notice is that people who didn't even like you personally will sometimes still be respectful & express their condolences. Sometimes they'll even stop by the funeral home. So why couldn't Urban have the same respect for Stallone?! Mad

Ya know, I thought Urban was awesome as Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McKoy in the 1st STAR TREK film. Really nailed the part! Was even looking forward to the sequel. I was even looking forward to DREDD. Now I don't know what to think! I mean, would a little bit of sympathy have hurt dude?! And to think he said this at COMIC CON?! Is that any way to promote his new film?! He may have actually just sunk it's chances much to the studio's chagrin I'm sure! But it may actually help box office for EXPENDABLES 2.

WHAT A MORON! Frustration
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 pm

webhead2006 wrote:it would be nice if he commented on passing of sage. But just cause he said what he said about the 94 film. I don't see as being totally asshole/classless. But that is just my thought .

Like I said in my post, it's been 24 hours since he said it, and without a doubt learning about his son's untimely death. He could have issued a statement giving his condolences and admitting the timing was bad for his harsh comments.

He didn't.

That says a lot about one's character.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Ok well hopefully he will make a statement as you guys said it would be a kind thing to do.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 am

Looks like Urban's 'Dredd 3D' is one the biggest bombs of 2012:

http://www.altfg.com/blog/movie/dredd-3d-box-office-flop/

Disastrous Box Office: DREDD 3D

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 3 Dredd-3d-karl-urban

Dredd 3D box office: One of 2012′s major domestic bombs

Dredd 3D, the much-anticipated (in some quarters) action sci-fier, opened at no. 5 on the North American box-office chart, with a dismal $2.23m at 2,506 venues on Friday according to studio estimates found at Box Office Mojo. Directed by Peter Travis and starring Karl Urban in the title role, Dredd will probably bring in around $6-6.5m for the weekend — despite 3D surcharges. (Photo: Karl Urban Dredd 3D.)

That would be a downright abysmal opening — worse than the already dreadful $8 million to $10 million that pundits had predicted — for the much-talked about reboot of the Sylvester Stallone movie Judge Dredd, which debuted with a already-not-that-impressive $12.29m ($22.6m adjusted for inflation) back in 1995. A Lionsgate release in North America, the international co-production Dredd has a reported $45-50m budget; the film’s only chance of recovering its production budget (of course, not factoring in pre-sales, etc.) is the international box office, where 3D action movies perform much more strongly than in North America.

Box-office hope for Dredd 3D?

The good news: Judge Dredd cumed at a weak $34.69m (approx. $64m adjusted) in North America, but went on to earn more than twice as much abroad. The bad news: Despite grossing $113.49m worldwide, Judge Dredd was still flop, as it cost a reported $90m. (Remember: as a rule of thumb distributors / producing companies get about 50-55% of the domestic gross; 40% of the international gross.)

The worse news: Dredd will likely cume at $15-18m in North America, which means it’ll need to gross about six times as much internationally so as to break even at the worldwide box office — despite having cost much less than the Stallone original, especially if inflation is taken into account. To date, things don’t look all that promising: $4.4m in the UK and $784k in Spain after ten days (Sept. 16). But we’ll see.

In addition to Star Trek‘s Karl Urban, Dredd features Olivia Thirlby, and Lena Headey.

Karl Urban Dredd 3D photo: Lionsgate Pictures.

Urban ruined ANY goodwill I had towards this film when he shit-talked Stallone on the day they found his son dead. Since then, I have had ZERO interest in this film.

Looks like I wasn't alone...
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Urban ruined ANY goodwill I had towards this film when he shit-talked Stallone on the day they found his son dead. Since then, I have had ZERO interest in this film.

What the hell?! I guess I missed that. I'll have to dig up a link. But what an incredibly douchey thing to do.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:

Urban ruined ANY goodwill I had towards this film when he shit-talked Stallone on the day they found his son dead. Since then, I have had ZERO interest in this film.

You may be right. And didn't Urban do that in conjunction with Comic Con also? Not exactly a good way to earn 'brownie points' with the fans huh?

I also see another problem. Characters like Judge Dredd don't necessarily resonate with the public at large like the more well known characters that really sell big bucks by way of the superhero genre. Look at CONAN THE BARBARIAN. They tried to remake it, supposedly being more faithful to the source material than Ahnuld's film was, with a guy less 'pumped' than Ahnuld to boot. I still haven't seen it but I understand from a friend that it sucks. But keep in mind that Ahnuld wasn't a big movie star yet either when he played the role but rather than being a disaster, it was a hit of sorts & helped to pave the way to super-stardom which he furthered even more so with THE TERMINATOR. But this Jason Momoa or whatever his name is will be the 'Singerman' of the Conan franchise which incidentally may be dead anyway.

Another franchise that can't seem to find it's way is THE PUNISHER. I will say this though, Thomas Jane does resonate with the fanbase. Get him back with the right director & right script & it might finally be successful. Otherwise they just as well forget it. But this raises a point. Sometines maybe the studio does need to go with a Thomas Jane, or an Ahnuld, or whoever seems to inspire the fanbase as such. Quit trying to figure it out & go with what works. And I'm sure there's other characters I could name to but that's what's coming to mind. However, from the looks of the reboot of ROBOCOP I expect similar results.

But back to Urban. That was a cold, calloused way to speak of Stallone when he was grieving over the loss of his son! What should he have done? He could have offered his condolences. I mean, think about it. In the midst of Comic Con, with the hype over his own version of Judge Dredd coming up, he could've shown sympathy which the fans would no doubt have picked up on & appreciated. It may have even made them want to see the film more. But AP, judging by your reaction, it turned you off & there's no telling how many fans it turned off likewise. So Urban should've either offered his condolences or just kept his big mouth shut. I just hope it doesn't doom the sequel to STAR TREK because he made an awesome 'Bones'.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
Apologist Puncher wrote:Urban ruined ANY goodwill I had towards this film when he shit-talked Stallone on the day they found his son dead. Since then, I have had ZERO interest in this film.

What the hell?! I guess I missed that. I'll have to dig up a link. But what an incredibly douchey thing to do.

Look about half-way down on the previous page. You'll find it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Well that is diaapointing for the studio. I want to see it myself some time still. If I recall urban just said he didn't care for stallano version or what not. But ya there was probably more.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:40 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Well that is diaapointing for the studio. I want to see it myself some time still. If I recall urban just said he didn't care for stallano version or what not. But ya there was probably more.

Wrong. He said this, the day Sage Stallone was found dead:

Apologist Puncher wrote:It's been over 24 hours since this was stated in the press, and Urban HASN'T issued any kind of follow-up in the event of Sage Stallone's death. Fucking classless, and I think I'll be waiting for this to tore rent now. If you get what I mean.

Karl Urban Doesn't 'Give A Damn' About Stallone's 'Dredd'
'Tonally, these films couldn't be more different,' Urban tells MTV News at Comic-Con about 1994's 'Judge Dredd' vs. his upcoming movie.

SAN DIEGO — Sylvester Stallone was in a movie called "Judge Dredd." Karl Urban stars in "Dredd." Do not confuse the two.

If you do, Urban — the star of the latest film based on the famous series of British comics — might take issue. The actor has never hidden his feelings about Stallone's original take on the most famous judge of Mega City One, and when he and co-star Olivia Thirlby talked with MTV News for Comic-Con, he said the viewers' preference for either version comes down to a few key factors.

"I saw [Stallone's] movie when it came out in '94. Tonally, these films couldn't be more different," Urban said. "I think it's a difference of if you like your heroes wearing lycra and gold cod pieces, then his film's the one for you. If you like a badass movie where your heroes are real and wearing leather motorbike suits and body armor and hard-core, gritty, pull-no-punches, this is the movie for you."

This year's Comic-Con brought the world premiere of Urban's version of "Dredd," and the differences between this version and Stallone's couldn't have been more apparent. "Dredd" is a gritty, brutal, hard-R action flick without any of the gloss of Stallone's version.

With the Italian Stallion in San Diego presenting his new movie "The Expendables 2," there's a possibility Urban could run into the original Dredd, but he's not worried about Stallone's opinion.

"I don't give a damn what he thinks," he said.

"Dredd" opens in theaters September 21.

And there's no excuse either, as both things happened here in Southern California. No time-difference excuses, no "I didn't know" BS.

He pulled a dick move, and didn't bother to act like a man afterwords.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:59 am

Dude, it would be a dick thing to say no matter what but, yeah, that day of all days... way over the line.

And what the hell? Why talk smack? Why not just say something politic like "We all appreciate Sylvester's movie, it was something of an inspiration for us when we were shooting but the producers and director wanted to do something different this time out and I think audiences are going to respond well to what they're up to." I mean, you don't have to piss all over the guy like that.

When Urban writes Oscar winning films, becomes one of the premiere action hero movie stars of his era, has three franchises BY AND FOR him, survives uncountable career lows and comes back stronger every time, becomes a director of successful films and other things, maybe THEN he can afford to not give a damn what Stallone thinks. But until then, he needs to shut up, learn from his betters and show a little bit of tact and sensitivity. Asshole...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:02 am

My mistake ap I forgot the whole timing/what he said.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:04 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Dude, it would be a dick thing to say no matter what but, yeah, that day of all days... way over the line.

And what the hell? Why talk smack? Why not just say something politic like "We all appreciate Sylvester's movie, it was something of an inspiration for us when we were shooting but the producers and director wanted to do something different this time out and I think audiences are going to respond well to what they're up to." I mean, you don't have to piss all over the guy like that.

When Urban writes Oscar winning films, becomes one of the premiere action hero movie stars of his era, has three franchises BY AND FOR him, survives uncountable career lows and comes back stronger every time, becomes a director of successful films and other things, maybe THEN he can afford to not give a damn what Stallone thinks. But until then, he needs to shut up, learn from his betters and show a little bit of tact and sensitivity. Asshole...

Exactly.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: