Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd'

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Empty Re: Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd'

Post  webhead2006 Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Dredd gets its rating:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=58520
DREDD Gets An R-Rating From The MPAA

Fans hoping for a brutal take on Judge Dredd in the upcoming reboot can now rejoice as the MPAA have given it an R-Rating. To find out what earned it this particular classification,hit the jump for details. Josh Wilding - 4/24/2012

Last year, DREDD producer Andrew Macdonald had this to say about director Pete Travis' take on the iconic 2000 AD character. "Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we've got to get the tone right. He's not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real. There's been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now they're treated seriously." Well, it looks like they kept their promise as the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has now classified the film with an R-Rating.

Many thanks to Box Office Mojo for the above information. The movie stars Star Trek actor Karl Urban and promises to be far more faithful to the source material than the 1995 version which starred Sylvester Stallone. Controversy surrounded the film last year when it was revealed that Travis was prohibited from participating in the editing process after creative disagreements arose between producers and executives (writer Alex Garland ended up taking over these duties). Are you looking forward to the movie? Sound off with your thoughts below.

RELEASE DATE: September 21st, 2012.
Good to see this is getting r rating.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 am

Huh. Gives you pause that they're trying to be true to what the source material is all about.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:47 am

Which is great when actors, writers, directors on any property like dredd, or what have you take the material and do right with it. It sucks how often that isnt the case. But every thing out of dredd so far has been heading in the right direction.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Lucaxmen/news/?a=59307

New Picture Of Lena Headey As Ma-Ma In DREDD & The Actress Shares Some More Info
Game Of Thrones star Lena Headey recently sat down for an interview with the L.A. Times and she discussed her upcoming film Dredd. She briefly describes playing a man-hating prostitute named Ma-Ma.

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Dredd3bcpia

The new Judge Dredd movie, directed by Pete Travis and starring Karl Urban is set to hit theaters later this year. The LA Times has conducted an interview with one of the stars of the films, Lena Headey. They also receive a brand new image of the actress as the scarred villainous, Ma-Ma.

“She’s a prostitute who then kills her pimp and takes over his drug-running business,” says Headey of her role. "And Ma-Ma is a bit of a man-hater.”

“I think of her like an old great white shark who is just waiting for someone bigger and stronger to show up and kill her,” continues the "Game of Thrones" star. “She’s ready for it. In fact, she can’t wait for it to happen. And yet no one can get the job done. She’s an addict, so she’s dead in that way, but that last knock just hasn’t come. This big, fat, scarred shark moving through the sea and everyone flees and she’s like, ‘Will someone just have the balls to do it? Please?‘”

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Lenadredd
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Yowza, can't say she hasn't invested a shit-ton of thought into her character...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 pm

That is a wicked shot of her. And she does seem very into the role. Definately will be good to see this film.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=59349

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Dredd-Boom
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Kinopoisk.ru-Dredd-karlurban-olivia%20thirlby-skipcrop
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Kinopoisk.ru-Dredd-1827489-skipcrop
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Kinopoisk.ru-Dredd-1810752
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri May 18, 2012 3:23 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=59933

IM Global's Stuart Ford (the company that financed Dredd alongside Reliance Big Entertainment) tells Deadline of today's screening of the movie, "The reaction was great. It was as packed as any screening I’ve seen in Cannes. There were people sitting on the floor in the front and the back of the room." He also goes on to claim that despite the fact the air-conditioning at the screening broke down, no one walked out. A good sign of its quality? He also calls it, "an edgy, cool film with a rocking soundtrack," and says that in comparison to other upcoming superhero movies it, "appears very fresh and distinctive. It’s Dirty Harry meets District 9." Well, he's bound to be a little bias, so stay tuned for any other reactions we get. However, they're apparently having no issues with selling the film at the festival, so it might just end up being one of the biggest surprises of 2012!
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 am

comicbookmovie.com wrote:so it might just end up being one of the biggest surprises of 2012!
I truly hope so. (A)I like Urban and (B) I've always felt like this character had a ton of movie potential. My fondest wish would be that this bad boy would hit it BIG.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 am

Great to hear it did well at that cannes screening and some wonderful new pics from the film.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Judge dredd creator comments on the film:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=60429
JUDGE DREDD Creator Gives Blessings To The New Film

John Wagner creator of Judge Dredd is apparently pleased with how the film adaptation turned out. "This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character,visceral,unrelentingly violent." Mark Julian - 5/25/2012

Everyone associated with the Judge Dredd project thus far has been touting the films authenticity as a true adaptation of the comic book. But what does Wagner have to say about DNA Films take on the UK's biggest comic book character---

I went up to London yesterday to see the completed Dredd film. I've had reservations about certain aspects of it, and made them plain to the team at DNA. All but one of them - a little quibble at the beginning - have been addressed. And what a lot they've added. Music is on the button. SFX are excellent. Filming is impressive. I've not seen a modern 3-D movie before but I like it. I found myself reaching out trying to touch things that were dancing before my eyes. Karl is a great Dredd and Olivia gets Anderson completely. This is Dredd as it should be done - true to character, visceral, unrelentingly violent (but not off-puttingly so). It will open, I believe, sometime in September. No doubt you'll let me know what you think when you've seen it, but this has my recommendation.

Sounds promising but like so many others, I'm a little concerned we have yet to see a trailer and the film seemingly still has a September release date. It wouldn't surprise me if Dredd was the next film to be bumped to 2013.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:39 pm

updated plotline for DREDD:
https://www.facebook.com/dreddthemovie/info
The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges” who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge – a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of “Slo-Mo” experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities thanks to a genetic mutation. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture- a 200 story vertical slum controlled by prostitute turned drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan’s inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound’s control center and wages a dirty, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival.

The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and director Pete Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film. Filmed in 3D with stunning slow motion photography sequences, the film returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's revered comic strip.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=61117

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Dredd_02

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Waurum_sinalias_0001-2ase4dqhm

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Waurum_sinalias_0001ficha-2eg4wpgam

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Selected%20Stills_D3S4948

Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 825819274_3413_122_567lo
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:16 am

Looks cool to me. Can't quite shake the low expectations I have for this film (box office wise, that is) but it sure looks like they're tackling the thing with the right level of enthusiasm. To me anyway...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Some posters for DREDD:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=61242
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Offici10
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 First210
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 New20d10
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 _tempn10
Karl Urban Is 'Judge Dredd' - Page 2 Dredd_10
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Finally first trailer online this thursday:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=61943
First Trailer For DREDD Will Premiere This Thursday

After what seems like an eternity,fans will finally get to see Karl Urban clean up Mega City 1 in the very first trailer for the upcoming reboot of the classic 2000AD anti-hero.. Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 6/18/2012

Lionsgate have just announced via the official Dredd Twitter page that the first trailer for their highly anticipated reboot will debut this coming Thursday..

Well, are ya punk? Oh sorry, wrong lawman! Anyway, be sure to follow Machinima so you can keep an eye out for the trailer. Here's the lengthy synopsis..

The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges” who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge –a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of “Slo-Mo” experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities thanks to a genetic mutation. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture- a 200 story vertical slum controlled by prostitute turned drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan’s inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound’s control center and wages a dirty, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival.

Dredd is directed by Pete Travis and stars Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey. The movie hist theaters September 21st, and as fans were delighted to hear, will be rated R.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 pm

A quick peak into DREDD trailer(around 2:40 mark):
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 pm

DREDD trailer online:

This definately looks good.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Wow, the comparison to 'The Raid' really ARE warranted.

I just have a feeling I will have enjoyed TR a bit more.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 pm

I saw comments of folks mentioning its simular story/structure for that raid film. Is it that bad if both are simular?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:31 pm

webhead2006 wrote:I saw comments of folks mentioning its simular story/structure for that raid film. Is it that bad if both are simular?

They aren't "simular". 'Dredd' looks to have THE EXACT SAME STORYLINE.

See 'The Raid', then watch that trailer again and answer your own question.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Ok then ap I will check out the raid then.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Bug-Eyed Earl Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:I saw comments of folks mentioning its simular story/structure for that raid film. Is it that bad if both are simular?

They aren't "simular". 'Dredd' looks to have THE EXACT SAME STORYLINE.

See 'The Raid', then watch that trailer again and answer your own question.

Lions gate are probably kicking themselves for waiting so long to release it after buying it last year.

And both movies sound a lot like Game of Death: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Death

Bug-Eyed Earl
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 am

Honestly, as long as 'Dredd' is as GOOD as 'The Raid', then the comparison is a good thing.

'The Raid' didn't have a very wide, or very long, release here in the States. And it kicks all kinds of ass.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 am

Dredd Comic Con Screening Reactions:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Jolt17/news/?a=63587
First Reactions from San Diego Comic-Con Screening of DREDD Surface Online

Following the preview screening that was held this evening at San Diego Comic-Con,various media outlets have shared their thoughts on Pete Travis' reboot movie,Dredd,via Twitter. Are they positive,or negative? Find out for yourself after the jump... Jolt17 - 7/12/2012

And the reactions are mostly positive! Check out some of the reactions, coming from numerous sites such as /Film (Peter Sciretta), Collider (Steven Weintraub), AMC Theatres (John Campea), and many others right below...

DREDD is a lot of fun. A return to 80s action, The Raid meets Robocop on a mini scale. great use of high fps slow mo 3d. Gritty & violent

— Peter Sciretta (@slashfilm) July 12, 2012

DREDD was a super hard R and a lot better than I thought it would be. Again....super hard R. 3D was also great.

— Steven Weintraub (@colliderfrosty) July 12, 2012

Dredd 3D - Uh yea, that was awesome. Badass, loved it. Yes, the helmet never comes off. Liked it more than The Raid, a lot more, honestly.

— Alex Billington (@firstshowing) July 12, 2012

I know there's going to be endless arguments about The Raid and how this compares, which is better, yadda yadda, but I still loved Dredd.

@AralKizilkaya Nah, its got plenty of good dialogue. Alex Garland wrote the script! Damn good job, too.

@TheVafrous Nah, closer to 1 hour 45 mins, as far as I recall. Didn't feel too long but didn't waste any time either.

Dredd is super solid. Great music and fun action wrapped around a simple, straight narrative. Minor reservations are secondary. It’s tight.

— Germain Lussier (@GermainLussier) July 12, 2012

DREDD is like an '80s Paul Verhoeven sci-fi movie with gratuitous bloody violence. I loved it. @lionsgatemovies @CraveOnline #SDCC

— Fred Topel (@FredTopel) July 12, 2012

Think I just saw the most violent movie I've ever seen in my life! #Dredd

— John Campea (@johncampea) July 12, 2012

I liked Dredd a lot more second time around. It's not The Raid, but then what is? Apart from The Raid, of course. #ComicCon

— Chris Hewitt (@ChrisHewitt) July 12, 2012

#Dredd: not too dumb, not too smart, very bloody, fun.

— Angie J. Han (@ajhan) July 12, 2012

On a pop fascist level DREDD makes STARSHIP TROOPERS look like BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN #SDCC

— Jordan Hoffman (@JHoffman6) July 12, 2012

Props to Lena Heady: her few center stage moments are tremendous. Great villain. #Dredd #SDCC

— Jordan Hoffman (@JHoffman6) July 12, 2012

Additionally, here's the longer version of Empire's reaction toward the movie.

We're delighted to say that it's a solid,often excellent adaptation,and not at all Dreddful. (Sorry,had to do it.) Karl Urban is excellent as the grizzled gunslinger (and yes,the helmet stays on throughout,which will please fans of the comic no end), growling his lines like a man who's just gritted his driveway using only his teeth,and the ultra-violence (which,in a way,may please fans while damaging its commercial chances) is presented stylishly. It has problems - it's bound to suffer comparisons to The Raid,with which it shares a basic plot,but has little of the invention or pulsating pace of that movie's fight scenes. It has a significantly smaller budget than the rest of this year's comic book movie crop,and at times it shows. But it's worth seeing for Urban alone,who erases any memories of the awful Sly Stallone vehicle from 1995.

UPDATE: Yet another lengthy reaction has made its way online, this time coming from Total Film. Check it out right below...

Despite rumours of rifts during production,Garland and Travis have created a horribly gorgeous vision of dystopian future where monolithic housing towers are run by criminal gangs - and policing is undertaken by judge/jury/execution officers,Judges. Urban certainly has the downturned mouth and super-cool,gravelly delivery to pull off Dredd's nonchalance but he's aided by Garland's smart,fast script,a relentless flow of Rorschach Test blood sprays from bone-shattering brutality,eye-poppingly beautiful 3D visuals and peppy banter with Thirlby. The body count is high,the humour grim and the violence stylishly graphic and reminiscent of Sin City (scenes involving a drug called Slo-Mo are visually intoxicating).

Several sites have also promised that they will debut their full reviews of the movie later on, so stay tuned on CBM for more Dredd reports. Anyway, what do you think of these? As usual, sound off with your thoughts on the space provided below.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum