Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Things 'Smallville'

+5
thecolorsblend
Father Finian
webhead2006
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Empty Re: All Things 'Smallville'

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:12 am

As to the issue at hand, if the first digital issue was the opening teaser and maybe a portion of Act 1, this is the rest of Act 1. So far, the similarity in structure to a TV show episode is pretty striking (and a validation of my argument that TV is more naturally suited to tell comic book stories insofar as pacing and structure is concerned).

Clark and Lex have their "first" meeting here. It's interesting to see Lex hasn't been sitting on his ass all this time but has been actively working to figure out who he is and who he used to be. Makes sense. I buy it.

The issue ends on a pretty neat little cliffhanger. I think we all know (or can reasonably guess) what that's all about but it's still a great place to slap a "To Be Continued" label.

I'd finished this issue before I realized that Superman never shows up in costume. You get Clark in the glasses and shit but the superheroics are temporarily put to rest here as we get some character stuff, exposition stuff and foreshadowing stuff sussed out. I can already picture the Apologists tearing this issue to pieces over it, ignorant as they are about even the rudiments of storytelling, but so far Miller is doing a phenomenal job.

If I've got a criticism, it's that some of the characters dialogue doesn't quite ring true. Clark doesn't always "sound" like Tom Welling. Lex doesn't always "sound" like Rosenbaum. Usually they do. But not always. However, Lois is pretty close to Erica Durance so at least there's that.

I'm seriously digging on where this series is going. If the rest of the series is as good as this stuff, man oh man, what a ride.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:16 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Flipped through some Younis page remarks about returning superheroes this year and found a couple of gems. But one in particular stood out.

Some Younis Page Numbnuts wrote:#18 | Superman1976 on November 26, 2010 7:45am EST
I may not understand how the TV industry works, but I don't understand why the final season of a show isn't completely ironed out, written and a season finale planned?

When I read these updates, it seems like they are flying (or leaping) by the seat of their pants.
Keep in mind, people like this would tell you their opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. This toolbag apparently believes it's possible to write scripts for 22 episodes over the course of two months (all of which have to be approved and revised a zillion times before anyone can even think about shooting them) and when the producers have no idea about actor availability (what if in January Rosenbaum suddenly decides to do a one-shot episode as Lex? What then, dumbass?)

The big picture of the season is plotted out in advance. From there, episodes are written one at a time and the writers must keep room open for schedule changes or other stuff later on in the pipeline. Not a difficult concept to understand, esp since most of this stuff is either explicitly stated in various SV DVD extras or else can be easily extrapolated from those same extras.

People this moronic are out there. They walk among us. They drive cars. They vote. They reproduce.

URL- https://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org/t3p15-smallville-fans

Came across this old gem a while ago. Check out the bolded sections. Had Peterson and Souders written every motherfucking script for season 10 by September 2010 (a virtually impossible task, btw) as that Eunuch page dipshit recommended, Rosenbaum coming back would've royally fucked everything up. But the gap between the Rosenbaum deal and writing the finale around his cameo appearance resulted in a stronger episode than we probably would've had if the entire season had been locked the fuck down as early on as those Eunuch-following Apologist douchetards wanted. TV producers and writers always try to keep this kind of flexibility specifically for unexpected stuff like this.

Once again history proves the Realists right and the Apologists wrong. Now for most people, that would mean it's time to recognize that you should probably get a little bit of education before shooting your mouth off. But then again, if Apologists were capable of learning, objectivity, logic and critical thinking, they wouldn't be Apologists, now would they?

I should say that I'm only writing this now because I honestly can't remember ever doing an end zone dance before now. But -- as I strongly suspect that this forum has a fair share of lurkers from the Eunuch's nutless homepage -- here you go.

And as ever, SUCK IT, APOLOGISTS!!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 am

Right colors folks don't under stand there is a lot going into prpoduction of a tv show, or a film. Heck if any sv fan watched the dvd sets we see there was a featurette on how a script goes from idea to actually being shot. If only those knuckkleheads would do a little gogling before making there dum comments. So colors what else from the sv comic have you liked so far.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:37 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Right colors folks don't under stand there is a lot going into prpoduction of a tv show, or a film. Heck if any sv fan watched the dvd sets we see there was a featurette on how a script goes from idea to actually being shot. If only those knuckkleheads would do a little gogling before making there dum comments. So colors what else from the sv comic have you liked so far.
What I like is the context of it. It took me about a year and a half to really warm up to the concept of SV but once I did I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty fascinating story and it never would've occurred to me how awesome a "Clark becomes Superman" TV show can be. So to see the fulfillment of that with the SV-Clark becoming Superman, doing rescues, being in a relationship with Lois, wearing the glasses, etc, it works for me because of the ten years of character development we had with the series.

SV wasn't perfect. It didn't do some things I wanted, it did some things I didn't want but overall it's one of the best Superman stories ever told as far as I'm concerned and this comic book is a dream come true in many ways.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Very nice colos, wanted to see your view on it. Like I mentioned before I am waiting for print release. But so true the show was far for perfect but in the end it was still a good clark/superman story. And to this day I rather watch any of the worst sv episodes then ever fully watch sr again. Cause even on a bad episode I always found some redeeming aspect to it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:12 am

URL- http://www.ksitetv.com/smallville/warner-bros-brings-television-out-of-the-box-and-into-the-paley-center/13441

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 100_0289

Obviously this comes from K-Site. The Blur's season 10 costume. Honestly... I was never all that enthused about it. The idea of it, I mean. I understand that Clark basically went through three "costumes" before The Suit- the red jacket/blue shirt thing, the Neo outfit and then the Thriller jacket. I was pretty much completely onboard with the first two. I liked Clark having pre-Suit suits. The first one was basically an accident. It wasn't even a costume, per se, it's just what he happened to be wearing when Jimmy accidentally photographed him mid-rescue. But he cleverly turned it into a calling card. He was ready to let people know that someone was out there protecting people; he just wasn't ready to put himself out there publicly (and after Infamous, who can blame him?). The black outfit... well, you either the symbolism there or you don't. And if you don't, you're a fucking idiot.

But the Thriller suit... I mean, yeah, it's a cheeky, kinda sorta melding of the psychology implied by the previous two outfits. But I just didn't understand why he'd abandon it for The Suit. I mean, canonically he has to. That much I get. But textually, what motivation does he have to put on The Suit when he has something that's already perfectly functional? Anyway. There's an answer, I'm sure, but I'll spare you further analysis.

Point is though that the one solid point in favor of Costume ver. 3.0 is that I always thought it looked pretty cool onscreen. But the above picture (y'know, the entire point of this post) kinda tells another tale. It just looks frickin CHEAP. Something about it seems off to me. Maybe it's the embossed S-emblem, I dunno, but something about the ensemble doesn't do it for me. It's a really a testament to SV's cinematography that the damn thing comes off looking as good as it does in the episodes it features in because by itself... well, it amazes the thing even got approved for usage to be perfectly honest. But you cast the right amount of ambiance onto it, the right color of lighting, the right black level and... yeah, looks alright.

It is telling though that the other SV superhero costumes in that gallery look pretty good whether they're onscreen or on exhibit.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:57 pm

I didn't have much issue with the red suit, I rather have had some blue on the jacket too. But cool thing above the sv costumes at that event.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 pm

New smallville comic cover:
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Comic-10
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 am

webhead2006 wrote:New smallville comic cover:
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Comic-10
Are those OMAC's?

Anywho. This week's digital issue. Are we still in issue #1 of the printed version? Anyway. The Tess Mercer thing from last week is, for the moment, abandoned. We instead start in some new plot points. The criminal underworld hasn't forgotten that Oliver Queen is the Green Arrow. Meanwhile, Chloe makes a discovery from the footage of Superman's space shuttle rescue from the rift. Speaking of Superman, he only shows up in one panel; the rest of the time, it's Clark. These three things convince me the Apologists will have yet more things to bitch and moan about.

It's funny, when a SV episode's plot description would be released, inevitably they'd whine and complain about it. Then the episode would air, it'd usually be pretty good and, rather than admit their error, they'd move on to bitching about something else.

Anyway. If there was one thing about the show that never really sat right with me, it was Ollie unmasking himself as GA. Maybe Alan Ritchson or the dude who plays Victor/Cyborg just weren't available but it seemed like they'd be more logical candidates for the VRA's sacrificial lamb. I never bought into that plot point in the first place but I sure as hell never bought Queen risking his own ass just to find out how serious a threat the VRA really was. Miller's said he doesn't view it as his mission to "fix" what the show did "wrong". On the one hand, I applaud that. For better or worse, that's the course the show took. But on the other hand... ugh, the Oliver/VRA shit just never worked for me.

Anyway. Good issue but it's more about character building and setting up subplots than it is advancing the plot. And that's okay. This is still the equivalent of the season premiere, after all.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:13 am

That is my first thoughts on the robots colors. Though I don't have any details for the ossue to confirm or deny them. But they look pretty sweet.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 03, 2012 4:09 am

This only just occurred to me a while ago. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of you hadn't already figured this out for yourselves but for some reason it took me a bit longer.

The movie division put the kibosh on a TV show about Bruce Wayne training to become Batman. Why? Because they were developing a reboot at the time and didn't want to muddy the waters too much with a competing TV show. History and Singerman have since vindicated this decision.

When Gough and Millar came aboard, they tried again and again to have Bruce Wayne guest star on the show. And, because of said reboot, were shot down. Now, through out the entire thing, I've always assumed that Gough and Millar intended Bruce Wayne to do a guest appearance in one episode. But maybe Gough and Millar had something more ambitious in mind. Obvious as it may be, I've only just come to the realization that maybe they wanted, at the very least, a multi-episode arc involving Bruce Wayne, possibly as Batman, coming onto the show for a lot more than a single episode guest appearance. Because Green Arrow on SV has a lot more in common with Batman in general than he does the GA from the comics, I think he was The Surrogate Batman.

The movie division might have approved a one and done guest appearance. But a five, six or seven episode arc (or maybe even more) of Bruce/Batman/both on SV... yeah, I could see them having philosophical problems with that if they were actively developing a new movie.

Anyway. As I say, a lot of you probably locked in on this long ago but it only just hit me that maybe what G&M wanted was more than just one episode, that's why they got rejected and that's why we saw Green Arrow for so long on the show instead.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 am

Totally colors I do think they wanted that. And there was always the long rumor yrs ago original plan for adam knight was for him to be batmanbruce. If the rumor was indeed true. Wb caught on what they where doing and we saw where the character ended up. It is disapointing legal crap/film division put blockage on characters. I really would have liked bats/ww apppearing in sv. At least in final season we where teased they do exist in that world. And I am sure bqm mentioned he wants to have them show up in the new comic. Speaking of which I am picking up my order of print issue later today. Can't wait to check it out.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu May 03, 2012 11:02 am

It didn't occur to me that G&M may have wanted more than one episode. I just thought any efforts were shot down by duh Nolan. And if WB can have a successful TV franchise like Smalllville or Lois & Clark, why can't they get their act together when it comes to their film division with the exception of Batman?! Sure, we hope that THE MAN OF STEEL is successful but they have a funny way of showing it, no? And I see that AP brought back the tumbleweed just like he suggested.

Look, tonight at midnight THE AVENGERS opens & not to derail this thread but really WB?! Does a house have to fall on you for you to wake up & smell the coffee? Like Colors said over in one of the Avengers threads, a 'shared universe' works. It even worked on Smallville for cryin' out loud! WB/DC, swallow your pride & take a page from the Marvel play-book because it obviously works! JLA actually predated the Avengers & JSA predated JLA. DC should already have had a team film on screen, besides WATCHMEN that is. And that film actually worked but the apathetic audience just didn't buy it. But it proved it can be done.

Duh brothers Warner, it's time to step up to the plate. GREEN LANTERN is an extremely popular character in the comics which should've translated to the big screen. Even though I liked the film 'OK' even I'll concede that they failed. But if Marvel had made the same film? We wouldn't even be having this discussion! And FLASH is another property that should not only have had a film but even potential sequels. But in the meantime Marvel takes less known characters like IRON MAN & makes gazillions of dollars.

Just what is it gonna be WB?! Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 03, 2012 11:37 am

non_amos wrote:It didn't occur to me that G&M may have wanted more than one episode. I just thought any efforts were shot down by duh Nolan. And if WB can have a successful TV franchise like Smalllville or Lois & Clark, why can't they get their act together when it comes to their film division with the exception of Batman?! Sure, we hope that THE MAN OF STEEL is successful but they have a funny way of showing it, no? And I see that AP brought back the tumbleweed just like he suggested.

Look, tonight at midnight THE AVENGERS opens & not to derail this thread but really WB?! Does a house have to fall on you for you to wake up & smell the coffee? Like Colors said over in one of the Avengers threads, a 'shared universe' works. It even worked on Smallville for cryin' out loud! WB/DC, swallow your pride & take a page from the Marvel play-book because it obviously works! JLA actually predated the Avengers & JSA predated JLA. DC should already have had a team film on screen, besides WATCHMEN that is. And that film actually worked but the apathetic audience just didn't buy it. But it proved it can be done.

Duh brothers Warner, it's time to step up to the plate. GREEN LANTERN is an extremely popular character in the comics which should've translated to the big screen. Even though I liked the film 'OK' even I'll concede that they failed. But if Marvel had made the same film? We wouldn't even be having this discussion! And FLASH is another property that should not only have had a film but even potential sequels. But in the meantime Marvel takes less known characters like IRON MAN & makes gazillions of dollars.

Just what is it gonna be WB?! Suspect
Across the board, I agree with you. DC can not only claim the first real superhero team with the JSA but they can also claim the first inter-company crossover... with the JSA. Technically, different publishers owned the various characters so putting 'em all together on one team was historic for a lot of different reasons.

Obviously Nolan is partly to blame for this individual universe shit. It's exemplary of Hollywood thinking, actually. Not wanting to have to coordinate with others to one's own story and all that. In some ways, I sympathize with WB being reluctant to tell the guy who's movie earned a billion dollars worldwide where he can stick it. But at the same rate, WB has other franchise developments to be concerned with, esp now that Harry Potter is finished. The public clearly has an appetite not only for superheroes but superheroes living in the same world as one another. There's no reason whatsoever that the DC cinematic universe shouldn't dwarf Marvel's. Shit, it's probably too late now but you could do a series Superman films that enfranchises the JSA in creating Superman (this is where he came from) while simultaneously setting up at least the reality of the Legion of Super-Heroes (this is where he's going). Marvel doesn't have a story that can really claim to span 1,000 years just by showing up. DC does and it's fucking epic.

I just don't get it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 03, 2012 6:42 pm

thec0l0rsblend wrote:I'm sorry but you're wrong. And this goes beyond just mood-setting. The DP and other folks do what they're told by the showrunners. Since season 8, the show's color design has almost completely changed (or else been radically diminished). This even includes make up and costumes/wardrobe (ie, Clark doesn't wear bright colors as often, Lois is attired in drabbier colors and with slightly darker make up, etc). The show simply doesn't look like the below examples anymore, and hasn't since Gough and Millar left.

-- Season 02
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 S2-01

-- Season 03
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 S3-01

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 S3-02
All of the above speak for themselves. SV used to showcase a very bright and vibrant color pallete. Color design like the above has been notably absent since Al and Miles left.

-- Season 06
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 S6-01
Lighting like this doesn't happen by itself. It has to be carefully and elaborately set up. Even with the deeper shadows, you still get a strong sense of vibrant color here.

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 S6-02
Ibid.

I'd include DVD caps from season 7 (where the color design reached its pinnacle and watching SV was like watching a comic book) compared to season 9 and 10 but I have caps from none and am too lazy to create some. Suffice it to say, the Al and Miles years were visually defined by that strong sense of color design and that's either radically changed or else is drastically reduced.
thec0l0rsblend wrote:Before we get going on this, I wrote that I was too lazy to make caps from my DVD's. The below? These aren't DVD caps, I just found a YouTube clip from Arctic, the season 7 finale. So. I'm still lazy. That hasn't changed. I've just found a way to point to SV aesthetics when they were, I believe, at their pinnacle. The point is that we just don't get visuals and color design like this anymore.

And again, I'm still lazy. The below caps don't mitigate that.

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Season07-01

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Season07-02

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Season07-03

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Season07-04

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Season07-05

I haven't seen highly "comic booky" visuals quite like this since the new crew really started hitting their stride. Petersouders seem to be more centered on the writing than the visuals, which isn't a bad thing (by any means), just a true thing.
Not intentionally but the post I wrote here also serves as a kind of nice little indictment of the shit "creative" decisions underlying Singerman. And I'm not just talking about those drabby, boring, brown costumes. Everybody knows about that. Nothing new there. But I also mean the lighting. Everything in Singerman has this really dull, flat lighting. You see it often enough in sitcoms because TV shows have to be made at break neck speed and sitcoms are all about sight gags or verbal jokes. Nobody watches a sitcom for the creative cinematography because of that stuff. So you tend to see fairly minimal camera moves, flat (but bright) lighting and other easy setups. Ditto a lot of comedy movies.

But "action-filled summer blockbusters"? Not so much. I've wondered a few times if the reason for Singerman's shit lighting (flat, monochromatic, little or no depth, etc) is because the Genesis system wasn't too far beyond prototype at the time Singerman was in production and, because of that, it had a lot of technical limitations that film or more proven digital systems long ago worked out. People infinitely more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am have said similar things about other technical shit relating to esoteric photography. It makes sense at least to me that the Genesis camera might've struggled with the type of filmmaking Smallville excelled at. Either way, it's just more proof that Singerman is a failure on pretty much every conceivable level.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Well finally was able to pick up a copy of sv number one. When I get chance later going to read it. Man had such an issue getting it. First my regular shop didn't have enough copies for orders. So didn't get to get it the other week for that reason. So then I went to two other shops in area, they both had copies but bs crap of a minium fee to use credit so wasn't able to get there. But thankfully third place I went to I was able to get it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 pm

webhead2006 wrote:So then I went to two other shops in area, they both had copies but bs crap of a minium fee to use credit so wasn't able to get there.
I'm not usually a credit card nazi but, depending on the amount of money we're talking about, that could be a very severe violation of the Visa and Mastercard TOS. It may be worth it to call those places and put the fear of God into them about maybe complaining to the credit card companies, threaten to have their merchant accounts cancelled, etc. I did that once for a place that had, no shit, a $25 minimum for all credit card transactions. As you can imagine, that policy changed pretty quick.

webhead2006 wrote:But thankfully third place I went to I was able to get it.
You'll want to read it pretty soon. In terms of pace, I'd argue the first issue is the teaser and act 1 of a regular episode. I'm guessing #2 will be act 2 and 3 and so on. So don't go into this thing expecting one issue to be the equivalent of one episode. Or I guess you can but get ready for disappointment.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Well my usual place doesn't have a issue if I get one comic that is say 3.99 or 2.99 and I use my card all the time there. The crap I got at the first two places where they couldn't charge under 5-10 dollars due to some percentage they makeboff sale/credit charge. Which I was glad I was able to not have issue at third place. As for reading I going to do it in like an hr. Have some family appointments going on right now.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Well my usual place doesn't have a issue if I get one comic that is say 3.99 or 2.99 and I use my card all the time there. The crap I got at the first two places where they couldn't charge under 5-10 dollars due to some percentage they makeboff sale/credit charge. Which I was glad I was able to not have issue at third place. As for reading I going to do it in like an hr. Have some family appointments going on right now.
Ah. Well, if it's less than $10, you can't really say much. Once upon a time, a minimum transaction amount was strictly verboten but those days are behind us now. Incidentally, you can thank Chris Dodd and Barney Frank for that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Ya I never had issues either for like dollar stores/grocey stores with just a few buckjs. But again thankfully I dod find that one shop that didn't give me issue.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Because I'm in love this sequence...

thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 11, 2012 5:27 pm

That was a wicked scene from that episode.

Now for comic, just finished it a short whole ago. I enjoyed the start. A nice peak into there lifes now with teases for upcoming things. Liked the clark/intro intro and seeing ollie in action too. Can't want for next issue. Bqm had a nice start and I am excited to see where he goes. Perez also did very well at capturing the likeness of most of the cast too.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Print cover for issue 4:
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 6 Smallv10
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue May 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Man, I really miss The Suit.

Anyway. Good find.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Because I'm in love this sequence...

Yes. It's right up there with one of my favorite sequences such as the ending of "Covenant", despite my loathing of the black costume.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next