Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen?

4 posters

Go down

How Many Of The Four Have You Seen?

How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_lcap0%How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_lcap50%How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]
How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_lcap0%How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_lcap50%How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2

How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Empty How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen?

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 am

There have been at least 4 different versions of the film released so far:

1. Theatrical Cut
2. The Salkind Cut
3. The KCOP Cut
4. The Special Edition

I myself have seen all 4.

How about you?

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Empty Re: How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen?

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 25, 2011 12:12 am

Is the ABC cut the same as the KCOP? I remember seeing STM on TV back in the 80's and I even remember seeing differences of varying magnitudes but not enough to really formulate an impression.

All I can swear to is the theatrical cut (my preferred version, actually) and the special edition/director's cut.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? Empty Re: How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen?

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Is the ABC cut the same as the KCOP? I remember seeing STM on TV back in the 80's and I even remember seeing differences of varying magnitudes but not enough to really formulate an impression.

All I can swear to is the theatrical cut (my preferred version, actually) and the special edition/director's cut.

Actually, I think I need to correct the poll. The Salkind Version was the ABC Cut, and the KCOP was something entirely different.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 25, 2011 12:16 am

If you really feel like digging into this, you could even throw in the original VHS version. This was the very first edition issued on VHS. Because the technology was still more or less in its infancy and because the tape itself was VERY high quality, the son of a bitch is HEAVY. To minimize the weight (and thus wear and tear on the VCR and thus potentially sparing the tape itself), they shortened the movie here and there. A few obvious cuts and the like make themselves known. The end credits are basically gone, some scenes were cut out, prolonged cuts were shortened (ie, Krypton blowing up) and stuff like that.

Granted, this doesn't really count as an official "alternate cut" as such but if we really want to swing for the fences here...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 am

thecolorsblend wrote:If you really feel like digging into this, you could even throw in the original VHS version. This was the very first edition issued on VHS. Because the technology was still more or less in its infancy and because the tape itself was VERY high quality, the son of a bitch is HEAVY. To minimize the weight (and thus wear and tear on the VCR and thus potentially sparing the tape itself), they shortened the movie here and there. A few obvious cuts and the like make themselves known. The end credits are basically gone, some scenes were cut out, prolonged cuts were shortened (ie, Krypton blowing up) and stuff like that.

Granted, this doesn't really count as an official "alternate cut" as such but if we really want to swing for the fences here...

I could also include the laser disc version, that had two separate discs just to hold the entire film.

Had that when I was a kid too.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed May 25, 2011 1:11 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Is the ABC cut the same as the KCOP? I remember seeing STM on TV back in the 80's and I even remember seeing differences of varying magnitudes but not enough to really formulate an impression.

What is the KCOP version? I'm familiar with the theatrical & the 'extended edition' from 2000, the latter of which I prefer best as I feel it helped to 'flesh out' the film more. Some deleted scenes in some films seem pointless at times, like they'd have been better to have just 'left well enough alone' but not so with the 1st Superman film. To me it actually made it better! Now, many years ago I recall seeing the film on network TV & the 'deleted scene' of Luthor feeding Ms. Tessmacher to 'the babies' was included; however, it's just a deleted scene on the DVD. Was that the ABC version? But yeah, please explain KCOP.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 25, 2011 1:41 am

It seems that the KCOP version is the Salkind International Cut. How that relates to the ABC thing? Fucked if I know. But here's at least a starting point for it all...

Wiki wrote:When the rights to the first Superman film reverted to the Salkinds in 1981, it was their intention to prepare a television cut longer than what was released theatrically, for the aforementioned reasons. The so-called "Salkind International Extended Cut", which ended up running 3 hours, 8 minutes, was shown internationally on television, and it is from this cut that later domestic TV versions were derived.

The first network American television broadcast of Superman: The Movie occurred in February 1982 on ABC.[55][56] The principal sponsor for the telecasts was Atari. At the time, ABC had a contract with Alexander Salkind for the television rights to his films. ABC's 3 hour-2 minute cut[57] of Superman was broadcast over the course of two nights.[58] On the first night it premiered, the film stopped when Lois Lane was falling from the helicopter (the picture froze, creating a cliffhanger-type of ending for part one[59]). The next evening, there was naturally a recap before the film continued.[60] This expanded version was repeated in November of the same year,[61] only this time, shown in one night.[58] The next two ABC showings after that were the original, theatrical version. Apparently, in their contract with ABC, the Salkinds were able to get money for every minute of footage shown on TV. So as a result, they crammed in as much footage as possible for the TV networks in order to maximize their revenues. During production of the film, Alexander and Ilya had been relegated to having to sell more and more of their rights back to Warner Bros. in exchange for financial help. Director Richard Donner was not consulted[58] on any of the extended versions. However, due to a clause in his contract, Donner's name remains in the credits.

Link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)

This, I guess, is a sample.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed May 25, 2011 10:31 am

hmmm good question i dont believe i ever seen all 4 cuts of the film. i know i seen the theatical cut and one of the special edition/extended cuts of the film. now i am curious to see the other ones i havent seen. any way i can see the others i havent seen?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed May 25, 2011 11:09 am

webhead2006 wrote:hmmm good question i dont believe i ever seen all 4 cuts of the film. i know i seen the theatical cut and one of the special edition/extended cuts of the film. now i am curious to see the other ones i havent seen. any way i can see the others i havent seen?

There's also an alternate version of SUPERMAN II. I'm not talking about the 'Donner Cut'. It's basically the TV version with piles of deleted scenes added back in. It's still the Richard Lester version though. Actually I have it right here in front of me on 'DVD'. *Ahem!* I bought it off of eBay after reading about it on duh Homopage. It's called the 'Restored International Director's Cut' or 'Superman 2 RIC'. This lines up with what I remember seeing on TV back in the day. Interesting thing here though. Non kills, in cold blood, the little boy with the British accent, by throwing a police siren through the air which illogically makes some weird noise & then explodes upon impact! Some woman says, "But he was just a boy!" To which Ursa replies, "A boy who will never be a MAN!" I'm sure you can still buy this on eBay. However, I would like to obtain a copy of the 1st film too like this.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 25, 2011 5:50 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:It seems that the KCOP version is the Salkind International Cut. How that relates to the ABC thing? Fucked if I know. But here's at least a starting point for it all...

Wiki wrote:When the rights to the first Superman film reverted to the Salkinds in 1981, it was their intention to prepare a television cut longer than what was released theatrically, for the aforementioned reasons. The so-called "Salkind International Extended Cut", which ended up running 3 hours, 8 minutes, was shown internationally on television, and it is from this cut that later domestic TV versions were derived.

The first network American television broadcast of Superman: The Movie occurred in February 1982 on ABC.[55][56] The principal sponsor for the telecasts was Atari. At the time, ABC had a contract with Alexander Salkind for the television rights to his films. ABC's 3 hour-2 minute cut[57] of Superman was broadcast over the course of two nights.[58] On the first night it premiered, the film stopped when Lois Lane was falling from the helicopter (the picture froze, creating a cliffhanger-type of ending for part one[59]). The next evening, there was naturally a recap before the film continued.[60] This expanded version was repeated in November of the same year,[61] only this time, shown in one night.[58] The next two ABC showings after that were the original, theatrical version. Apparently, in their contract with ABC, the Salkinds were able to get money for every minute of footage shown on TV. So as a result, they crammed in as much footage as possible for the TV networks in order to maximize their revenues. During production of the film, Alexander and Ilya had been relegated to having to sell more and more of their rights back to Warner Bros. in exchange for financial help. Director Richard Donner was not consulted[58] on any of the extended versions. However, due to a clause in his contract, Donner's name remains in the credits.

Link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)

This, I guess, is a sample.

Basically, the KCOP Cut IS the ABC version, plus 8 minutes. I believe the 8 minutes is the post-reveal Jor-El conversation as well as the "Otis, feed the babies" part.

But the extra footage contains longer sequences on Krypton, the little Lois Lane section in Smallville, the three trials under the subway, longer post-reveal flight sequence, longer convo with the little girl he got smacked in the face, more chatter in AF1, a section after he damned up the flood where he watches Indians on a reservation rejoice over the water they are now receiving, telling Jimmy to go ahead and snap photos of the dam bursting (wtf??).

This is all from memory mind you, but ALL of that is included.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 25, 2011 5:53 pm

non_amos wrote:There's also an alternate version of SUPERMAN II. I'm not talking about the 'Donner Cut'. It's basically the TV version with piles of deleted scenes added back in. It's still the Richard Lester version though. Actually I have it right here in front of me on 'DVD'. *Ahem!* I bought it off of eBay after reading about it on duh Homopage. It's called the 'Restored International Director's Cut' or 'Superman 2 RIC'. This lines up with what I remember seeing on TV back in the day. Interesting thing here though. Non kills, in cold blood, the little boy with the British accent, by throwing a police siren through the air which illogically makes some weird noise & then explodes upon impact! Some woman says, "But he was just a boy!" To which Ursa replies, "A boy who will never be a MAN!" I'm sure you can still buy this on eBay. However, I would like to obtain a copy of the 1st film too like this.

I have the 'Superman II: The Restored International Cut' on DVD too. I believe they are working on a version under the same RIC name for STM:

http://www.capedwonder.com/CW/superman-the-movie-restored-international-cut
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu May 26, 2011 2:52 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:There's also an alternate version of SUPERMAN II. I'm not talking about the 'Donner Cut'. It's basically the TV version with piles of deleted scenes added back in. It's still the Richard Lester version though. Actually I have it right here in front of me on 'DVD'. *Ahem!* I bought it off of eBay after reading about it on duh Homopage. It's called the 'Restored International Director's Cut' or 'Superman 2 RIC'. This lines up with what I remember seeing on TV back in the day. Interesting thing here though. Non kills, in cold blood, the little boy with the British accent, by throwing a police siren through the air which illogically makes some weird noise & then explodes upon impact! Some woman says, "But he was just a boy!" To which Ursa replies, "A boy who will never be a MAN!" I'm sure you can still buy this on eBay. However, I would like to obtain a copy of the 1st film too like this.

I have the 'Superman II: The Restored International Cut' on DVD too. I believe they are working on a version under the same RIC name for STM:

http://www.capedwonder.com/CW/superman-the-movie-restored-international-cut

I read that info. Here's what concerns me though:

The material featured in Superman-The Movie: Restored International Cut is in no way meant to infringe on any motion picture copyright laws, but is solely meant as a dedication to the work featured in the film and its creators.

Superman-The Movie: Restored International Cut will not be for sale on-line or at any convention, and is NOT meant to be used for profit-making purposes in any way, shape or form, and should not be used as such. Capedwonder™️.com, Jim Bowers, Superman1978.com, SupermanII.com, SupermanIII.com, SupermanIV.com or SupergirlTheMovie.com will NOT be distributors of Superman-The Movie: Restored International Cut. More information will be posted on this subject later.

So let me get this straight. They're 'making' this DVD but it's not going to be for sale, period, in so many words? So why go through all of the trouble then?! Oh sure, I realize that to some extent this is a disclaimer, like 'head-shop' items are meant only for the use of tobacco products. Yeah, right! Anyway, this particular website may not sell it or offer it at conventions but you can't tell me that it won't be available on eBay?! What do I say to this?

Let me know as soon as it is available. I'll handle the rest! Proud
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 am

non_amos wrote:So let me get this straight. They're 'making' this DVD but it's not going to be for sale, period, in so many words? So why go through all of the trouble then?! Oh sure, I realize that to some extent this is a disclaimer, like 'head-shop' items are meant only for the use of tobacco products. Yeah, right! Anyway, this particular website may not sell it or offer it at conventions but you can't tell me that it won't be available on eBay?! What do I say to this?

They'll most likely release it on Bit Torrent. That's where a lot of "fan edits" (ie, hackjobs) find distribution nowadays. No need to release it for profit (and risk those consequences) when you can do it all for free for love of the game.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
non_amos wrote:So let me get this straight. They're 'making' this DVD but it's not going to be for sale, period, in so many words? So why go through all of the trouble then?! Oh sure, I realize that to some extent this is a disclaimer, like 'head-shop' items are meant only for the use of tobacco products. Yeah, right! Anyway, this particular website may not sell it or offer it at conventions but you can't tell me that it won't be available on eBay?! What do I say to this?

They'll most likely release it on Bit Torrent. That's where a lot of "fan edits" (ie, hackjobs) find distribution nowadays. No need to release it for profit (and risk those consequences) when you can do it all for free for love of the game.

But I don't want a download, I want the real thing to go along with my Superman 2 version. I want the one pictured on that website with the artwork, design, & everything. Besides, it describes 'Disc 1' & Disc 2' & the features that are on them. That's the one I want. But I'd also rather have a real CD, DVD, or even a vinyl record album compared to 'downloads'. I feel like downloads is what's wrong with this society now & it's even putting people out of work. Just look at newspapers. There's a fear that books will become extinct but let's face it, does a person want everything they do to have to be digital? No, I wanna know where to get the DVD.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am

Well, not quite what you want but these things include (try not to grit your teeth too hard) DVD artwork that you can print out. Then you buy an empty DVD case and put your stuff in there.

In fact, there are entire websites devoted to custom DVD art. I've downloaded a few myself for DVD's with shitty art or else to compile big franchises into a single DVD box. I bought a case that holds ten DVD's and loaded all my Star Wars DVD's in there and used some custom art that I took to Office Max for them to print out for me. I can't do anything about DVD's with shitty mastering, obviously, but at least I can fix the art myself.

Better than nothing, if you ask me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu May 26, 2011 9:06 pm

They can't be sold, but they CAN be given away for free.

Keep that in mind.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri May 27, 2011 12:21 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:They can't be sold, but they CAN be given away for free.

Keep that in mind.

Then how did I buy my Superman 2 RIC on eBay? I don't remember exactly what I paid but it wasn't much. I think it was a 'Buy-It-Now' price, seems like less than 20 bucks.

It's in a CD 'jewel case' with the actual cover of SUPERMAN II & I believe the photos on the back match also. However, the actual DVDs are more like 'DVD-R' & have handwriting on both discs as to which is which. Now I don't know the complete story necessarily as to how the sellers on eBay end up selling these but it's obviously common knowledge. And my expectation it to buy the 1st film just like the one I already have. So what 'process' has to take place here before the eBay sellers can do their thing?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri May 27, 2011 12:27 am

non_amos wrote:Then how did I buy my Superman 2 RIC on eBay? I don't remember exactly what I paid but it wasn't much. I think it was a 'Buy-It-Now' price, seems like less than 20 bucks.

It's in a CD 'jewel case' with the actual cover of SUPERMAN II & I believe the photos on the back match also. However, the actual DVDs are more like 'DVD-R' & have handwriting on both discs as to which is which. Now I don't know the complete story necessarily as to how the sellers on eBay end up selling these but it's obviously common knowledge. And my expectation it to buy the 1st film just like the one I already have. So what 'process' has to take place here before the eBay sellers can do their thing?

Um, the same way you can buy t-shirts, video games and books on eBay?

That is a two-party transaction, and not worth the Bros. Warner's efforts to sue. It's Bad PR and they aren't going to do it. But if it were Wal-Mart or Target?

How Many Version Of 'Superman The Movie' Have You Seen? SUED

You'll find a knock-off of this on eBay, I'm sure. But the people who are making it, as well as advertising it, CANNOT SELL IT.

Period.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down