Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way to go DC. Nice PR move.

3 posters

Go down

Way to go DC.  Nice PR move. Empty Way to go DC. Nice PR move.

Post  lib Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:32 pm

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/dc-comics-nixes-bid-by-ottawa-man-to-honour-jeffrey-baldwin-with-superman-statue

DC comics nixes bid by Ottawa man to honour Jeffrey Baldwin with Superman logo
Published on: July 7, 2014Last Updated: July 7, 2014 8:07 PM EDT

DC Entertainment is refusing to allow the Superman logo to adorn a memorial statue of a Toronto boy who loved the superhero during his short life before his grandparents starved him to death.

A coroner’s inquest last winter into the death of five-year-old Jeffrey Baldwin caught the attention of an Ottawa man, who was moved by Jeffrey’s plight and wanted to pay tribute to the boy.

Todd Boyce raised money for a statue of Jeffrey and recruited Ontario artist Ruth Abernethy — known for a bronze statue of Oscar Peterson outside the National Arts Centre — to design it.

Boyce wanted to see Jeffrey depicted in a Superman costume, harkening back to inquest testimony from Jeffrey’s father.

Before his teenage parents lost custody of Jeffrey to his maternal grandparents the little boy was very energetic and loved the superhero, Richard Baldwin testified.

“He wanted to fly,” Baldwin said. “He tried jumping off the chair. We had to make him stop. He dressed up (as Superman) for Halloween one year. He was so excited. I have that picture at home hanging on my wall. He was our little man of steel.”

But DC Entertainment — home to the comic book superhero — will not grant Boyce permission to use the Superman logo on the statue.

“It was important for me because I really felt I wanted to capture the photograph of Jeffrey wearing his Superman costume and have it as close to that as possible,” Boyce said.

“Basically they didn’t want to have the character of Superman associated with child abuse. They weren’t comfortable with that.”

DC Entertainment would not comment.

Boyce said the design will be changed to have a “J” on the chest rather than the “S” of the Superman logo. The model of the statue is complete — except for the letter change — and is just now waiting for it to be cast in bronze. Boyce is hoping for a September unveiling and dedication.

Last edited by lib on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Way to go DC.  Nice PR move. Empty Re: Way to go DC. Nice PR move.

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:07 pm

The Superman symbol is a corporate property. WB and DC have spent millions crafting into a piece of graphic art that connotes excitement, bravery, heroism and hope. Tying that image in with a tombstone is sort of the opposite of what they're shooting for. They HAD to say no.

That's why the father should've kept his mouth shut, made the tombstone anyway and then forced DCE to risk desecrating a kid's grave just to protect their bottom line. Next time, dad, shut your mouth. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 pm

In case anyone didn't know, WB changed course and allowed them to use it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:34 am

yes - you are correct AP. Sorry I didn't update that.
lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum