Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affleck Is The New Batman

+2
Apologist Puncher
superman1938
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Affleck Is The New Batman Empty Affleck Is The New Batman

Post  superman1938 Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 pm

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=breakingnewsalert

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman
AUGUST 22, 2013 | 06:11PM PT
Film will bow July 17, 2015
Justin Kroll (http://variety.com/author/justin-kroll/)
Film Reporter
@krolljvar (http://twitter.com/@krolljvar)
Ben Affleck is Batman.
The actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled
Superman-Batman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.
Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale,
George Clooney and Michael Keaton.
“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’
most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill,
and then some,” WB president Greg Silverman said in a statement.
Jonathan Leibson/WireImage© Copyright 2013 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media,
LLC.
Directed by “Man of Steel” filmmaker Zack Snyder, the Superman-Batman
feature will open worldwide on July 17, 2015 with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams
and Diane Lane reprising their roles.
“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has
the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser
than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain
the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” Snyder said in a
statement. “I can’t wait to work with him.”
The announcement of a Batman-Superman film was announced last month
Comic-con to much excitement and the next thing to look out for is if more of
the Justice League team will be added to this cast.
The irony to this news is that at one point Warner Bros. was interested in
having Affleck direct the “Justice League” movie and his participation in this
film will now spur interest if whether his casting means a possibility of
directing that film.
Affleck is repped by WME and can be seen next in Fox and New Regency’s
thriller “Runner Runner.”
superman1938
superman1938
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Affleck Is The New Batman Empty Re: Affleck Is The New Batman

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Did NOT see that coming.

Affleck being a talented director in his own right is only good news for the sequel. Zack Snyder isn't going to ignore an Oscar winning director`s suggestions and influence.

Color me intrigued.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm the guy in the room who approves of this. I dig Affleck as an actor and as a director. I only see good sides to this.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:53 am

Saw this last night at the last minute but no time to post anything. No time to really comment now due to work but like AP I did NOT see that one coming! Funny thing is is that I believe I remember his name being mentioned but didn't put much stock in it. More comments later.................................................................................
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Apparently lots of people aren't happy about this. I try to ignore the Nolanites so I have no idea what they think but others are ticked off. What's surprised me is how many of them are civilians. People who know jackshit about comics are trying to tell us that Affleck is shitty casting because they say so. Many of them fell in love with Christian Bale as Batman so their opinion is immediately suspect if you ask me.

Anyway, end of the day, it's Snyder. He has a great eye for casting. If he thinks Affleck can do the job, I'm more than willing to give him a day in court.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm

That site that the article was from that started this post had a poll to vote about what you thought of Affleck as Batman, Yes or No. It was overwhelmingly against! Over 70% this morning! I haven't checked it since. Anyway, it sounds like Twitter is really fired up about it. I haven't read a whole lot of anything to be truthful but even on the site mentioned here some dude had to rub it in about 'Daredevil pretending to be Batman' or something. Even though I liked Daredevil I know it wasn't the highlight of Affleck's career. I'd say though that since then he has more than proven himself? 'The Town' was awesome of which he also directed.

But remember, Michael Keaton got the same crap back in the day too: "What?! Mr. Mom?! Beetlejuice?!"
And I think we all know how that turned out.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 am

I read someone write "Affleck playing Batman is as laughable as Heath Ledger playing the Joker". That seemed to kick a lot of people right in the balls because there was a fair amount of pushback to Ledger right after the announcement was made. "Why not Adrien Brody?! Chris Eccleston?! But the guy from The Patriot? REALLY?!?" I suspect a lot of those people have since piped down.

I'm with you, amos. Affleck is an accomplished actor, a good writer and a definite up-and-comer as far as directing goes. But something else? I'm sick of Europeans in these things. Part of me is happy Affleck is in the mix just for that reason.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I saw some ridiculous pieces of shit have started a "petition" to send to Oblamer to make it ILLEGAL for Affleck to play ANY superhero. Are you fucking KIDDING ME?? Are people THAT narcissistic and self-absorbed now?? Get a goddamn grip.

And besides, Oblamer is too busy finding ways to invade your privacy, turning a blind eye to Syria gassing its own people, sending the IRS after political rivals, trying to stockpile the courts with people having the same agendas as him and setting race relations back 40 years.

He's a busy man.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Teleprompter Jesus has shown time and again that he can multitask. Why, one time he let an American embassy get invaded at the same time he was fundraising. So maybe he can do all the stuff you mention and ban Affleck from all supehero roles in the future.

After that, he can get back to polishing his golf game.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

It seems fans are now even making death threats over the casting of Affleck as Batman:

https://www.facebook.com/Superman.in.2013

Man of Steel Fan Page
6 hours ago

Hi Fans, I need your attention for a few moments.

Since the casting announcement late Thursday, we saw the polarizing opinions, many of which were expressed here. Unfortunately, some have taken their discontent to unnecessary and extreme lengths.

Its one thing to express a casting isn't your favorite choice. It’s quite another, and totally unwarranted, to message death threats to the page admins over it. First, this is a fan page. We are NOT affiliated with WB/ DC, we have no input with production, casting, or anything else. Our role is voluntary, and we cheer on and support the film(s.) Second, WB doesn't play in this sand box. They don’t visit the page and see what fans disagree with on any given subject. Third, to make a threat of violence against any person is completely unacceptable and it diminishes the credibility of ALL superhero genre fans and dismisses you all into a non-relevant “lunatic” category.

Is that how you really wish to be represented? As crazy people who issue threats?

Fanning is to be fun. We, the admins, have fun and get thrilled whenever there is official news that comes out.

I have turned off private messaging this morning. We have no plans of when it might be turned back on again. If you don’t like a casting choice, please find respectful ways, non-violent ways of expressing it. Please don’t post petitions for the cast to be fired- we will remove them. One threatening message cited a petition in his threat as a reason for his threat to be carried out. While I don’t believe the threats were credible, they also are absolutely not going to be accepted here.

Fanning the flames of hatred is NOT the kind of fanning we do here. If you’re someone who happens to be in disagreement with a recent casting announcement, simply wish the person best and that he puts 100% into the role so that the next movie is great. Being hateful is not the answer and ends up resulting in this kind of situation.

Sorry to take up a few moments of your time on this, but it needed to be said.

~Leslie, Page Owner and on behalf of Admins.

A little ridiculous dontcha think? Yeah, you apologists, go ahead & make all of us look like the lunatic fringe & who knows, possibly hurt the film prospects we may get in the future. I'm sure you Nolanites wanted Bale but you were willing to settle for Ryan Gosling I know & obviously so was duh brothers:

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1658192d193ce14ddb2899a1a&id=70b22ff525

Ryan Gosling: Could Have Been Batman

Affleck Is The New Batman Ryan_gosling

Ryan Gosling.  He could have been Batman.  

Following the surprise announcement of a Superman/Batman movie at San Diego Comic-Con last month, rumors ran wild as to who would next don the cape and cowl as the Dark Knight. 

One rumor is being reported as "true" by THR: Ryan Gosling. They write Gosling was a studio pick for the role, but Gosling refused it because he does not like sequels.  

The studio reached out to Affleck, at an earlier point in timehe didn't seem too interested.  After a lot of convincing, he was curious about the idea and thus began conversations of character and story development.  Once his curiosity was satisfied WME took over the negotiation process.  Included in these negotiations is a multi-picture deal (not clear on WHAT movies,) and appearing as Batman in a Justice League movie.  And, he may even direct that movie.  

It is a surprising move by Affleck, who had recently turned down 20th Century Fox's offer to wear the red suit in a Daredevil re-boot. Chris Nolan reportedly offered Affleck the chance to direct Man of Steel, but he said "no" because he did not desire to be involved in the superhero genre again (despite being a big comic book fan.)

As for Daredevil, it was 10 years ago. Even Affleck conceded it wasn't his best work. But, people evolve a LOT in 10 years, and he has performed admirably since.  It's like us being held forever accountable today to something we all did when we were 12 years old and still growing.  His recent projects show the growth and development, winning the Oscar for Best Picture in February.   

The next installment in the Man of Steel franchise, not yet officially titled, has Henry Cavill (Clark Kent/ Superman), Amy Adams (Lois Lane,) Diane Lane (Martha Kent,) and Laurence Fishburne (Perry White) reprising their roles in addition to Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/ Batman. The movie begins production in early 2014 and releases wide in theaters July 17, 2015. 

~Written by: Leslie
News as it is Posted- From the Man of Steel Fan Page

Source: MovieWeb/ THR
Why not Nathan Fillion while we're at it? Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:40 am

It makes sense that a directing gig is in there somewhere. Affleck went on the record in a big way saying how humiliating it was to wear the Daredevil outfit and how he'd never do anything like that again. I assume he meant that so if he's coming back, my hunch is WB dangled a carrot like directing one of the movies.

Anyway, good find, amos.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:49 pm

What a horrible choice. I can't believe these filmmakers would stoop so low by hiring this man in an iconic role like Batman, what the fuck is wrong with them? JLA is now ruined.

Oh wait, Orlando Bloom didn't get the role? Ben Affleck did?

I APPROVE.

Color me surprised by the reactions over his casting too. Many are acting like they're still stuck in 2003 when Affleck did DAREDEVIL and GIGLI. I find it baffling. Affleck being cast is definitely out of the left field though, I can't deny that. The first time I saw an article making that claim, I had to go verify that with other sites just to see if it was true. Whether he is right for the role or not, I have confidence in Affleck because I always liked him as an actor. Ten years ago I was one of the few people that would defend him as a worthy actor that doesn't deserve the flack for Bennifer and all that junk. I always pointed to CHASING AMY as proof that Affleck did have the chops. The fact that he managed to recover after that period by doing a better job at picking roles and directing Oscar worthy films should at least earn some respect.

And ultimately, he was cast by Zack Snyder, who has proven that he knows how to cast the right actors for the right roles. Even in SUCKER PUNCH everyone fit their roles like a glove. So as far as casting goes, I am not worried when it's Snyder at the helm. He knows what he's doing. Affleck knows what he's doing.

Also, Michael Keaton, Heath Ledger, Daniel Craig, were all RIPPED TO SHREDS by fans and audiences when they were cast in their iconic roles. And in all three cases it turned out just fine. I look forward to the day when this film comes out and everyone starts eating their own words and admits that Affleck did a great job. Bring it.

James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:33 am

Just to make this short, now that Ben Affleck is being cast to play the new Batman in the upcoming MOS sequel (If I should dare call it that) it's really anybodies guess how this will turn out but just take a look at other actors who were given roles that the masses have denied them from pulling off but actually did... Michael Keaton/Batman, Topher Grace/Venom, Heath Ledger/Joker and even Tom Hardy/Bane. If these actors can prove the masses wrong why not Affleck? Also inspite of already played a comic book character ("Daredevil") on film and about to play another one soon he's definitely not the only actor who pull this off, just think of Ryan Reynolds & Chris Evans. All I can say is Affleck better top or at the very least match Christain Bale if he's ever going to leave up to his upcoming role.

Until we get a final verdict it's best we all keep a open mind for now but in the meantime, I hope Affleck gets a hold of this message...

Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Affleck bulking up:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_movies/news/?a=89131

Affleck Is The New Batman Article-2476315-18F71DAE00000578-958_306x693

Affleck Is The New Batman Article-2476315-18F71D7B00000578-97_306x693
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Affleck Is The New Batman Empty kevin Smith Has Seen The Batfleck

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/preacherspeaks/news/?a=89863

Kevin Smith Says The Batman Costume In BATMAN VS SUPERMAN IS Like Nothing We Have Ever Seen Before

On his weekly Podcast, Kevin Smith let slip that he knows what the Batman costume for the 2015 Man of Steel sequel looks like.
By preacherfan666 - 11/10/2013

On his weekly Podcast "Hollywood Babble-On with Ralph Garman and Kevin Smith" Mr. Smith let slip some information about the new costuime for Batman in the upcoming Superman Vs Batman movie. He told his co host and audiences that back stage Director Zack Snyder showed him a picture of the costume on his iPhone. Kevin had this to say:

"I saw the costume, more than that I saw him [Ben Affleck] in the costume...I don't want to give anything away cause that is up to them and stuff, but I am going to say this...I instantly bear hugged him. You have not seen this costume in film before. Because every other movie has done this matrixy black armor thing...There wasn't a single nipple on this [frick]ing suit man. I think everyone is gonna be like 'Holy Shit!' We haven't been down this path before. Even the Hardest core "[frick] this movie" person will be like 'alright, I'm ready!'

He then goes on to explain what it reminded him of.

"It seemed like it was very [Redacted] Influenced."
In the podcast he bleeped what it was influenced by but could he have been talking about Frank Miller? What do you guys think, leave your comments in the usual place.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:26 am

I think a Miller influence is most likely what impressed Smith. He's a TDKR fanboy from way back. In fact, apart from that, BTAS and the live action films, I question how much he really even knows about the character. So if he sprayed his shorts over it, odds are better than average the prime influence is Frank Miller. I won't bet my life on it but I wouldn't be surprised either.

What might that look like? If he hadn't specifically taken "armor" off the table, I just might've suggested the battle suit Batman wears at the end of TDKR to fight Superman. So maybe Snyder has gone the other way and given us the blue cape/gray bodysuit/yellow oval thing. Personally, I think it's high time something like that is done in film. Fine by me.

One thing I've long wanted is white eyes for Batman. There are a lot of ways to do that. You could go the "lens" route that the Spider-Man films have gone but I think there's another alternative. In Smallville, Doctor Fate's helmet had tiny light fixtures inside his helmet that cast light downward and gave his eyes a really spooky glow. I've long been a proponent for something like this for Batman. I think it would look damned eery and would half-ass tie back to comic book-oriented visuals, which is always fine by me.

As to whether a Miller influence is even a good thing... eh. Smith makes it sound like we've never seen anything like this before in live action. Something new. Isn't it time for that anyway?

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:27 am

Affleck Is The New Batman 2545661_f520
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:48 am

I saw on Facebook that the name that was 'bleeped out' of the podcast was none other than Jim Lee! I'll be honest, I know diddly squat about Lee's Batman so I can't say yay or nay on that. However, here's a picture used for illustration:

Affleck Is The New Batman Z_jim_10

It'd be great to get a Bat-suit like this! Here's also a link that's about the same thing so I'll just include the link:

http://www.manofsteelfanpage.com/2013/11/11/new-batsuit-will-like-nothing-weve-seen/
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:55 am

That'd be a weird thing to mention then because apart from the boot treads, I can't think of any major innovation Jim Lee has ever made to Batman's look.

Jim Lee drew Batman in Jeph Loeb's Hush storyline (which is lauded by many but I see it as pro-fanfic), Frank Miller's All-Star Batman (which is hated by many but I see it as at least being a new and original take on Batman) and at least the opening part of Geoff Johns' run on Justice League of America. So there's a lot of Jim Lee stuff out there to choose from as far as Batman is concerned.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 pm

I think grey is a given. I doubt they'd go with blue though, as it would look too similar to Superman's suit. I'm guessing grey and charcoal/black.

And I agree about the lenses. I think CGI'ing white instead of trying to make practical lenses work is the way to go.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I think grey is a given. I doubt they'd go with blue though, as it would look too similar to Superman's suit. I'm guessing grey and charcoal/black.

And I agree about the lenses. I think CGI'ing white instead of trying to make practical lenses work is the way to go.
The only reason I didn't mention CGI is because I thought the lens effects from Batman Forever and TDK both looked kinda CGI'ish... and both looked kinda lame. But as you say, that too is an option.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:29 pm

This is supposedly what Affleck's Batman suit will look like in MOS II/WF. Allegedlly. Supposedly. Possibly. I've not even bothered to check on this thing's veracity.

Affleck Is The New Batman 1452054_707710469248526_1102386377_n

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=707710469248526&set=a.379540412065535.97088.377087858977457&type=1&ref=nf
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Nevermind, apparently it's a fake.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/blog/article/interview-with-the-petoskey-batman-a-small-town-superhero/index.html
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Yeah, no.

Can you imagine the uproar THAT codpiece would have caused??
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Probably. But I could at least accept it on the grounds that it skipped out on the whole armor thing that has prevailed among the movies so far. Big codpiece or not, I'd have seen that design as progress.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next