Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Younis Page & Other Boards Follies

+9
bootspark
gadhero
kivara
Father Finian
non_amos
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
Apologist Puncher
13 posters

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Younis Page & Other Boards Follies - Page 21 Empty Re: Younis Page & Other Boards Follies

Post  James Stocks Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 am

If memory serves, it wasn't the idea of a JLA movie they were against but rather the way it was going about five years ago when the George Miller mocap flick that just sounded like a really bad idea all across the board with the really odd casting (Armie Hammer as Batman?! He should have been Aquaman). But yes, there were definitely Nolanites and Singerman fans among those folks who were only against it because they wanted to see Routh and Bale together in a JLA movie.

In the end, it just seems like for a very long time WB was only interested in each superhero having their own unique world rather than sharing a whole integrated universe with other DC characters. In a way it does make sense, as the each member of the JLA comes from completely different worlds while Stan Lee actually planned out the shared universe from the get go which made things smoother when banding together MARVEL's superheroes. In a way, that's actually easier to handle as each filmmaker wouldn't have to worry about contradicting another film thus WB could release a whole plethora of DC titles. But despite that prospect being much more basic than MARVEL STUDIOS' ambitious shared universe, WB still fucked that up.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Younis Page & Other Boards Follies - Page 21 Empty Re: Younis Page & Other Boards Follies

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:27 am

James Stocks wrote:If memory serves, it wasn't the idea of a JLA movie they were against but rather the way it was going about five years ago when the George Miller mocap flick that just sounded like a really bad idea all across the board with the really odd casting (Armie Hammer as Batman?! He should have been Aquaman). But yes, there were definitely Nolanites and Singerman fans among those folks who were only against it because they wanted to see Routh and Bale together in a JLA movie.
I don't know where that mo-cap thing ever came from I've read precisely nothing from Miller indicating it was going to be anything other than a regular live action film.

As for Armie Hammer... dude's, what, 6'8" or some such? Fucker's HUGE. And I've seen him in stuff to make me believe he'd have made a believable and intimidating Batman.

The answer given by the Apologists for their opposition was that Singer should be given extra shoulder room to develop his sequel... forgetting, I guess, that the mere prospect of JLA spelled doom for Singerman 2. As to the Nolanites, they somewhat echoed that sentiment but a lot of 'em outright said that Batman belongs in his own immaculate universe. (A) Anything else destroys Nolan's realism (heaven forbid!) and (B) anything else destroys their perceptions of Batman. My answer at the time? "Hope the door doesn't hit any of you in the ass on the way out". But then I guess we all know who ended up winning that little pissing contest.

James Stocks wrote:In the end, it just seems like for a very long time WB was only interested in each superhero having their own unique world rather than sharing a whole integrated universe with other DC characters. In a way it does make sense, as the each member of the JLA comes from completely different worlds while Stan Lee actually planned out the shared universe from the get go which made things smoother when banding together MARVEL's superheroes. In a way, that's actually easier to handle as each filmmaker wouldn't have to worry about contradicting another film thus WB could release a whole plethora of DC titles. But despite that prospect being much more basic than MARVEL STUDIOS' ambitious shared universe, WB still fucked that up.
I'll somewhat agree with this. The DC characters weren't really designed to go together on a team. There are reasons for that too, one obvious one being that "DC" as we know it today is really an amalgamation of a shitload of different Golden and Silver Age comic book publishers now under a common umbrella. Obviously that's less of a problem for Marvel.

For a lot of years, decades even, the cool thing about Marvel for a lot of comic fans was the shared universe angle. They thought DC just had too freakin many alternate universes and different versions of basically the same character (Earth 1, Earth 2, etc). It's funny to me that when all's said and done, the same thing may very well be true of each companies media.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 am

I do recall there was a rrumor for some time that the film would be cg/mocap. Which then was debunked for live action. For me the problems with the film where the very odd casting more so the superman and batman casting. I wasn't to adverse to the flash, aquaman ones, and ww I thought actress/model had the look was only worried about her acting skills. And the other issue is that it was going to be separrate continuity. Which I thought was a dumb move to do. You telling me you going to waste time doing a film which won't spin off to solo films or solo films guys like batman wouldn't be here.

Why bother with it then if you are going to have conflicting different takes at same time. That only works best for dc dtv animated stuff. Cause each of those are based on different unique stories and wb/dc guys had said they wanted different casts and all for them. This is why I like marvel studios approach. Solo films leading to bbig teamup film. So we have the right amount of time to build the worlds the characters live in and the characters themselfs. Along with laying the seeds for certain things to play out later. Then like I said the other day blowing it all at once with team film first with no buildup on anything and have to waaste time to develop characterrs and events. That is why I rather have wb take there time and first build solo films up for at least two other jlers before going for team film.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:19 pm

I remember that mo-cap rumor but I think it was 'agged on' by duh apologists. Whether they actually started it or not I don't know but they did their fair share to 'promote' it. I think it gave them some sense of satisfaction because hey, if you do a mo-cap Superman, they still get to have their BJ! But another live actor destroys that.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Like burton failed superman film I still hope one day we will see the jlm costumes since we know they did get to costume stage and the actors did test wearing them. I am still curious to see how they all would have looked.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:37 am

non_amos wrote:I remember that mo-cap rumor but I think it was 'agged on' by duh apologists. Whether they actually started it or not I don't know but they did their fair share to 'promote' it. I think it gave them some sense of satisfaction because hey, if you do a mo-cap Superman, they still get to have their BJ! But another live actor destroys that.

From what I remember, the idea was that with mo-cap they can eliminate concerns of an actor getting told old or getting replaced, that the character would largely look the same for many years assuming the concept could work that long. It didn't seem too absurd, especially when BEOWULF was coming out, I almost thought they were actually going to do it but for weeks and weeks WB was hesitant in announcing anything about JLA until it was scrapped entirely.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:12 pm

www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=11965

I guess in observance of Blandon's birthday, the Eunuch posted a bunch of Singerman stuff. Tellingly though, he doesn't call it merchandise from Singerman. Instead, it's referred to as "October 10, 2012: Merchandise - Brandon Routh".

Anybody want to bet that we won't see anything similar for Henry Cavill's birthday? Or Tom Welling's?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 am

No wonder I had a gassy, diarrhea-like feeling in my stomach all day today.

And I here I thought it was the burrito I ate last night.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:No wonder I had a gassy, diarrhea-like feeling in my stomach all day today.

And I here I thought it was the burrito I ate last night.....
Nope, it was the Eunuch and his merry gang of Apologists, shall we say, "paying homage" to Singerman.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 am

You'd think that Eunuch at least would've already sold ol' BJ down the river. After all, he's in it for the quick buck & it looks like he'd be 'courting' Cavill now. You'd think so anyway. Were we wrong? scratch
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am

non_amos wrote:You'd think that Eunuch at least would've already sold ol' BJ down the river. After all, he's in it for the quick buck & it looks like he'd be 'courting' Cavill now. You'd think so anyway. Were we wrong? scratch
Remains to be seen. I would argue there's still money to be made in milking what's left of the Apologists before MOS comes out and they pretty much have to be shown the door.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:15 pm

No 'Man Of Steel' merchandise exists at this point. There's plenty of Singerman trash collecting cobwebs in warehouses somewhere.

See why he hasn't ditched ol' BJ and Singerman just yet?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 am

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=mos-costume

Poor guy just can't help himself. "This cape doesn't have a yellow emblem on the cape, you all seem to accept that but the Singerman shower curtain didn't have one either so now you have to retroactively accept that too, neener neener neeeener!" No, he doesn't use those exact words but come the hell on!

Remember the talking points? Allegedly, the emblem was left off the Singerman shower curtain because CG animating would've been a royal pain in the ass. It's as though we're supposed to believe that rendering complex CG effects with trillions of fragments and particles is child's play but a cape with an emblem on it? IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! Sorry, I just never bought it. The more likely explanation is that Singer used a dull, mustard shade of yellow rather than a bright gold color in designing the Singerman tu-tu color scheme. Slapping a dull, boring color like that over and against a dull, boring shower curtain might be hard or impossible to see in some shots anyway if the lighting isn't just right... and would probably look like shit anyway even if the lighting was perfect.

Now look at the Superman cape in the Eunuch's spiel. Notice all the pleats and stuff? Laying an emblem in there would probably be self-defeating because the folds of the cape would obscure a good bit of the emblem. As the Eunuch himself fumbles toward, Snyder is shooting for a mature, regal look for this Superman outfit. The pleats are part of that image. The emblem would only unnecessarily complicate what he's trying to do.

Snyder made a deliberate artistic and stylistic choice with his Superman cape; Singer tried to save face with his Singerman shower curtain. Huge difference.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 am

Hmm, I can buy the CG problem for SR but that's not just because of what Singer claimed but also because before that film there was the moment in SMALLVILLE during the third season where you got a glimpse of the cape, and according to f/x people it was extremely difficult to get it right with CG even just for a few seconds. Even though SR was big budget, the CG cape still looked atrocious, so I guess a yellow emblem would have made it even less convincing. That's also probably why they went with that rubber cape so that it wouldn't be so jarring switching between that and the CG version. Either way, it all looked crappy.

But, could it be accomplished now? I don't see why not. It's been a whole decade so there had to be advancements. However, I don't mind the lack of the yellow emblem, as I was able to go along with that in the Bruce Timm shows and features.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:37 pm

James Stocks wrote:Hmm, I can buy the CG problem for SR but that's not just because of what Singer claimed but also because before that film there was the moment in SMALLVILLE during the third season where you got a glimpse of the cape, and according to f/x people it was extremely difficult to get it right with CG even just for a few seconds. Even though SR was big budget, the CG cape still looked atrocious, so I guess a yellow emblem would have made it even less convincing. That's also probably why they went with that rubber cape so that it wouldn't be so jarring switching between that and the CG version. Either way, it all looked crappy.

This?

And I think it could EASILY have been done in Singerman. Even with the shower curtain cape.

Why not add on a green S-symbol shape on the back of the cape, and then insert it digitally afterwards? Less hours trying to add it COMPLETELY via CGI, and probably less expensive.

But, could it be accomplished now? I don't see why not. It's been a whole decade so there had to be advancements. However, I don't mind the lack of the yellow emblem, as I was able to go along with that in the Bruce Timm shows and features.

No idea why they didn't add it in this movie, but if I were to guess, I'd say it's a "legacy" continued on from Singerman.

Unfortunately.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Not to split hairs on your point but I'm not convinced an emblem on the pleather cape would've ever looked good, printed or digital. Your idea has merit (and I can't convince myself nobody would've thought of that if they really wanted the emblem on there) but I still don't think the end result would've been worth half a shit.

The beauty of MOS is that we may get things like the trunks and the cape symbol in a sequel (God willing). So I'm content to let some things slide for the moment.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 am

Younis Page & Other Boards Follies - Page 21 538368_10151194654885592_2026254971_n

Now THAT is an Apologist. Suspect
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 pm

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=12336

DC won a huge decision, re: ownership of Superman. To any rational, thinking person, this can only be interpreted as good news. That, of course, means some of the Apologists aren't very happy.

Apologist douchebag wrote:#3 | Sefy on January 10, 2013 5:04pm EST
Superman Lost.... oh well.. I still got Avengers...
Seriously, you can't make this shit up.

And even some of the others don't seem to have read much or anything about this case. And I'm not talking about complex legal briefs and court rulings but about basic summaries (some of which are of dubious legal accuracy) of this case. For example...

#1 | George Amaru on January 10, 2013 4:54pm EST
I find this to be good news to the extent that it keeps Toberoff's greedy little hands off the character. I do expect though, that DC will honor the commitments to the heirs made in the 2001 and 1992 agreements.

#2 | Kal L on January 10, 2013 5:01pm EST
This is great news! Now WB/DC have no excuses, and can promote and deliver good stories.

I agree with George Amaru, even though they have won the battle, I hope they still honor the commitments made in the past.

As for Toberoff, I hear that he is trying to help the Kirby estate with a similar lawsuit as he had with the heirs and DC for Superman.
DC has been willing to give compensation for years now. Hell, part of their argument has been the validity of those settlements. Backing out now is no way to win friends or influence people.

You want an example of rational, level-headed thinking in this matter? Check out what Kevin Maguire posted on Facebook.

Kevin Maguire wrote:Well, I'm gonna get a little controversial here, but I've been seeing a lot of people bemoaning the fact that the estate of Siegel and Shuster have lost their court battle to get the rights to Superman, saying that creators are once again being screwed by corporations. I disagree. Siegel and Shuster created the seed of the idea (taking it from the book Gladiator), but that seed would have been worthless were it not for the time and money that DC invested in it for the past 75 years. Superman would not be the pop culture behemoth it is were it not for the contributions of the hundreds, if not thousands, of creative minds that came afterwards from print, radio, television, and film. What rights do we give to the man who designed the Superman shield, an image instantly recognized world wide? Or to the man who invented Kryptonite? Or Jimmy Olsen? The truth is, this is NOT about treating the creators fairly. The original creators have passed away. This is about the relatives of the creators wanting money , people who had nothing to do with the creation or development of Superman. And what are they going to do with those rights if they got them? Print their own comics? Produce their own films? No, they'll license it out to others. So, let's say Disney gets the rights (cuz they own pretty much everything else). Is it fair that Disney reap profits off of the property that DC spend 3/4 of a century keeping valuable? Obviously I'm all for creators being treated fairly. I'm a creator. I think the creators should have gotten a piece of everything Superman made and continues to make. But I think DC deserves to keep the rights.

I have to start creating now. Feel free to discuss.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:18 am

Yup, that was the clip I thought of. Also, pretty good episode despite being a rehash of an earlier and better one.

And I'm siding with Maguire on the legal issues. Siegel and Shuster were an integral part of the Superman legacy, but that doesn't include their heirs and it has always been about the money for them, nothing else. Would have been nice if Siegel and Shuster got more out of it like they deserved, but what's done and is done and they've long passed.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Younis Page & Other Boards Follies - Page 21 538368_10151194654885592_2026254971_n

Wow. Might as well have tattoo'ed a rainbow across his chest....

And did you see the stupid Kraptonite on his side? CELEBRATING one of the films NUMEROUS plot-holes? Really??
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Younis Page & Other Boards Follies - Page 21 538368_10151194654885592_2026254971_n

Wow. Might as well have tattoo'ed a rainbow across his chest....

And did you see the stupid Kraptonite on his side? CELEBRATING one of the films NUMEROUS plot-holes? Really??

I somehow missed that post earlier. Anyway, I'm sure this guy has his share of 'admirers' already. And 'offers' too huh? lol!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm

non_amos wrote:I somehow missed that post earlier. Anyway, I'm sure this guy has his share of 'admirers' already. And 'offers' too huh? lol!

He looks like he fits into BS's preferred age-range.

Barely.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:I somehow missed that post earlier. Anyway, I'm sure this guy has his share of 'admirers' already. And 'offers' too huh? lol!

He looks like he fits into BS's preferred age-range.

Barely.

Touche'! lol!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 am

Guy with the tattoo: Good for him, whatever.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 am

Younis page follies might conceivably include posting a bunch of plausible but nevertheless utter BS stories as news items for April Fool's. Me, I've always thought it smarter to go waaaaay over the top with your April Fool's pranks so that everybody knows it's just a prank. If you do a Batman comic book podcast called "Batman & Podcast" or some shit, record an episode announcing you're switching formats and will cover only Spider-Man from 1963 until whenever the fuck it was that Stan Lee left the title but you're keeping the name "Batman & Podcast" because it sounds cool. Or whatever.

But no, the Eunuch posts stories about a Kara cameo appearance in MOS (when it's expected that MOS will feature some type of hint toward a shared universe), Young Justice's third season (which a lot of people are still hoping against hope for) a Smallville spinoff starring Lana (which would only torque off huge portions of the fanbase if it ever happened) and shit like that.

Maybe my definition of humor is just different from everyone else's but none of this stuff strikes me as funny. George Carlin said, and I tend to agree, that any good joke requires at least one element to be blown way the fuck out of proportion. Unlikely though some of the Eunuch's bullshit news items may be, they're not exactly impossible either.

It's just retarded.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum