Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Star Wars Franchise Thread

5 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Star Wars Franchise Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Star Wars Franchise Thread

Post  James Stocks Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Yup, and look how Vader is portrayed in the first film. If you erase memories of everything else that came after, Vader was really more of a glorified henchman. There's not a lot of foreshadowing about him being some tragic figure, he's just bad dude that could snap your neck if he wasn't satisfied. Then there's the Death Star, if you really bother listening to what's being said in the dialogue it shows that it's really nothing more than a doomsday weapon to keep the galaxy line because of the senate being dissolved. Once that's destroyed, the Empire loses its persuader. The Rebel's victory represents a real turning point for the galaxy, that this was the beginning of a new era and the Empire was gonna fall. And that's all because Lucas really thought he would only make one film. He kept Vader alive in the end, which was a smart move just in case a sequel was feasible, but overall it feels like it could have worked just fine as a standalone film instead of the beginning of a grand saga.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars Franchise Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Star Wars Franchise Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Here's a place you can download Lucas' original ideas for 'Star Wars':

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/category/star-wars-scripts/

I for one am glad he's gone, to be honest. The man decided selling toys was more important than making great movies by the time 'ROTJ' was being made.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:27 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59483

In short, AICN is reacting to those rumors that Ford may come back for more Star Wars.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:32 am

Star Wars homepage wrote:http://starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

Michael Arndt to Write Screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII
November 09, 2012

As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. As revealed in the ongoing video series posted here on StarWars.com, Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt. Arndt won an Academy Award® for Best Original Screenplay for writing Little Miss Sunshine (2006), and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing Toy Story 3 (2010).

For more news about Star Wars: Episode VII -- slated for a 2015 release -- keep checking StarWars.com.
Entertainment Weekly wrote:http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/09/report-screenwriter-michael-arndt-in-line-to-write-star-wars-episode-vii

Update: Screenwriter Michael Arndt confirmed to write 'Star Wars Episode VII'
by Josh Rottenberg

Considering that the first installment in the next Star Wars trilogy isn’t due in theaters until 2015, tantalizing nuggets of news about the project have been coming out at a surprisingly steady clip in the past week. First we learned that Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher had lunch with George Lucas in August and discussed Episodes VII, VIII, and IX with him. Then we heard that Harrison Ford was potentially open to returning to the role of Han Solo. And now comes word that, according to Deadline, screenwriter Michael Arndt has already written a treatment for the next three Star Wars films and is in line to write the script for Episode VII. Arndt’s rep had no comment.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 am

Just to throw out a few comments here, I've got no particular opinion about Arndt. I haven't seen any of those movies of his so what is there to say really?

But what I will say is that the sequel trilogy has a lot of potential. For me, one major thing that makes Empire work is how different it is from A New Hope. Audiences back in 1977 watched ANH and might have thought they had some idea of where things would go in "Star Wars 2". Empire works partly because pretty much nothing that happens therein was predictable. Arguably that was tarnished by ROTJ (the rebels will probably rescue Han, we've seen a Death Star before, the Emperor wasn't a completely new character to audiences, etc) but ESB was fresh, original and unexpected from beginning to end.

The sequel trilogy has that same potential. And I don't think Star Wars has had much possibility since 1980. Sure, a lot of unexpected shit went down in the prequels (which I'm rather fond of). But as hard as Lucas tried, the big picture of the prequels were known in advance before he ever put #2 pencil to yellow paper tablet. Sure, maybe nobody expected anything about prophecies or for Jules Windu to be a Jedi but the concept of Anakin giving in to the Dark Side and becoming Vader... we knew it would happen.

Unless Disneylucasfilm wusses out and adapts something from the EU, we have pretty much no idea what to expect of 7, 8 and 9. And I dig that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:17 pm

To be honest I've never been that big of a Star Wars fan. I've seen the films, have the DVDs & even like them but that's about as far as it goes. I always preferred STAR TREK & I don't apologize for that. I remember as young as 5 years old being at my Grandma's house & seeing Mr. Sulu running around with a sword, which was actually a lance like they joust with but whatever. And the funny thing is, when I saw Star Trek back then, it was still on the air! So I may have been young but I was seeing it in it's initial run. I grew up on Star Trek reruns after that. Then when I was a teenager Star Wars came out. I didn't see the first film at the theater but I did see ESB. I went to the theater on a whim & ended up sitting with people I knew that I would've never expected to sit with but there I was. I will have to say that I loved that film! Without a doubt my favorite of all the SW films.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Who should direct Episode 7? No clue. But we at least know Spielberg is out.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a437122/steven-spielberg-i-wont-direct-star-wars-episode-7.html
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 pm

I think the real shame about the prequels was how II and III seemed to ponder towards fans as if it was Lucas' reacting to the backlash over THE PHANTOM MENACE, instead of doing something inventive he's rehashing stuff from the original trilogy in an attempt to please his angry fans ("Hey guys, it's Boba Fett! Hey, it's proto-stormtroopers! Hey, watch Yoda use a lightsaber! Here's Chewbacca in a totally pointless role!). That's why I rank TPM higher than the other two (and for a great many other reasons) because it takes its own initiative even if it fucks it up a lot It's Lucas expanding his universe despite being a prequel. But with II and III it seems he just gave up and decided to give the fans what they think they wanted rather than give them something bold and new that they might actually end up loving. You know, like THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. If they take that route with the next film and do it competently, I'll definitely be interested.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

First Spielberg, now Abrams.

JJ Abrams wrote:J.J. Abrams on 'Star Wars Episode 7' "Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time," J.J. gushed. He added, "I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

http://hollywoodlife.com/2012/11/09/jon-favreau-jj-abrams-star-wars-episode-7-director-interview

Two things. First, I can't blame him too much. If I was a director, I'm not sure I'd have the balls to direct an episode either. I mean, it might be one thing if it was a movie set in that universe but isn't really part of the saga. But an official episode? Yeah, my balls would shrivel up too.

The other thing is that I'm not sure I'd want him to direct one anyway. He's done Trek and, sure, it was a good movie... but I don't understand why people lost their freaking minds over it. It wasn't that good. So yeah, I'm perfectly okay with Abrams sitting this one out.

All eyes are on you, Mr. Brad Bird.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Since I'm in a Star Wars mood...

http://brightlightsfilm.com/38/clones1.php
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 am

Abrams has the right energy, a lot more than Lucas did for the prequels, but that's about all the difference I see between the two. Abrams is on the right mind about engaging audiences on an emotional level, but I think his films are way too dumb-minded. Had Abrams directed the prequels but worked with the same scripts by Lucas, I can see them being much more effective and working with audiences more greatly, just like STAR TREK did. You can really make an effective film with a poor script if you're talented enough, though I was not easily swayed by his films like most seem to be.

Ideally, Abrams would work fine if he hired better scriptwriters. That would be a much better combination. But since he's too intimidated by STAR WARS, I guess there's nothing more to be said. It does make me wonder how many others are intimidated by the idea of making a new STAR WARS film. Personally, I wouldn't feel too intimidated by the prospect. The prequels have tarnished the series enough that I know if I fucked up I wouldn't be making much of a dent by that point. I wouldn't focus on trying to make the greatest film of the series but instead try to make a damn good entry that everyone can at least enjoy. They're pulpy space operas, not the pinnacle of cinema.

To me, SERENITY is probably the best space opera film to come out since the original trilogy and has not been topped since. So you probably know where I'm going with this when it comes to suggesting who should get this gig.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 pm

So Kasdan has been tipped to write. But did Jason Flemyng just spill the beans that Matthew Vaughn is the director?

http://www.examiner.com/video/jason-flemyng-lets-the-cat-out-of-the-bag-on-the-star-wars-director
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 am

Unless he's willing to compromise I can't imagine Kasdan writing this unless he's directing it himself. He's been very touchy about his scripts being used by other filmmakers (disliking Han saying "I know" instead of "I love you too" like he wrote) which is why he hasn't written a movie he didn't direct since JEDI.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Wired wrote:New Star Wars Film Based on Seven Samurai Coming from Zack Snyder

When the Akira Kurosawa movie Seven Samurai made its way to American shores in 1960 as the Western adaptation The Magnificent Seven, the remake transposed its medieval Japanese warriors into 19th century American gunslingers. Now, according to Vulture, an upcoming film by Zack Snyder will transform the heroes of this classic tale into something even more exciting: lightsaber-wielding Jedi.

After Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced that three all-new Star Wars films were in the works, Snyder (300, Watchmen) quickly took himself off the shortlist for potential directors, telling the LA Times, ”I don’t think I’d be interested.” Now, Vulture reports that Snyder will be directing a Star Wars feature after all, but true to his word, it won’t be Episode VII (or VIII, or IX). Rather, the project will be a stand-alone film set in the Star Wars universe sometime after Return of the Jedi, and loosely based on the Kurosawa film about seven masterless samurai defending a small farming village from bandits.

This isn’t the first time that Seven Samurai has crossed paths with Star Wars. George Lucas has cited the film as “one of my strongest creative inspirations” on the Star Wars films, and tried to cast Seven Samurai star Toshiro Mifune as Obi-wan Kenobi before offering the role to Alec Guinness, and the Japanese word for period dramas about samurai — jidai-geki – is widely believed to be the inspiration for the term “Jedi.”

While Lucasfilm has declined to comment, the report hints at an even more ambitious expansion of the Star Wars franchise in the wake of its acquisition by Disney, which recently included talk of a live-action TV show.

Are you excited by the idea of a canonical Seven Samurai Star Wars from Snyder, or a feature film that expands the Star Wars universe beyond the numbered trilogies?

URL- http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/star-wars-samurai-zack-snyder

If this was part of the new trilogy, I'd probably still have the same "guilty until proven innocent" attitude I have about MOS. But since it's a standalone thing, I'm onboard with it right now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I never even heard of that before today that I can remember. I guess that shows my knowledge of the STAR WARS franchise. Oy.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I like this. This is how I feel the franchise should move on. The Skywalker story has been done, do something different but within the universe. That's primarily how Star Trek succeeded for so long before the reboot.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:02 am

Vulture published an update to the story above, and I think Snyder's reps "denying" this is nothing more than a smokescreen:

[UPDATE: Vulture takes the accuracy of its reports very seriously. And while a piece published in The Hollywood Reporter this evening quotes Snyder's rep as saying that the director "is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars," Vulture stands by its story. This reporter heard through a source very familiar with the situation that Snyder recently flew up to Marin County to meet with Lucasfilm execs about the project. When subsequently reached by Vulture, Snyder's spokesperson would only repeat that he "is" not currently involved. One should note the possible political ramifications here of our original story break: Snyder's last Warner Bros. film, Sucker Punch, lost millions for the studio, and execs there could have become distressed at the idea of him getting involved with another studio's franchise when they have so much at stake with their upcoming Man of Steel and want him available for an immediate sequel.]

I would be ALL OVER a Snyder "Seven Samurai" 'Star Wars' film. After '300', that is RIGHT up his alley.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I would be ALL OVER a Snyder "Seven Samurai" 'Star Wars' film. After '300', that is RIGHT up his alley.
As would I. But my inner jerkwit fanboy was hoping this would be a movie centering on bounty hunters. On the other hand, I s'pose the Seven Samurai thing might line up with the prequel era. I'm rather fond of that era so it works for me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 am

I could see this taking place after REVENGE OF THE SITH, where it follows the few Jedi that survived the massacre thanks to Obi-Wan signaling the remaining Jedi to find safe haven. Have it take place in the outer rim territories.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 pm

James Stocks wrote:I could see this taking place after REVENGE OF THE SITH, where it follows the few Jedi that survived the massacre thanks to Obi-Wan signaling the remaining Jedi to find safe haven. Have it take place in the outer rim territories.

Since the sequels they are planning takes place after the events of 'Jedi', I think keeping this in the same time-frame would be the best idea.

The Jedi would be older, had much more time alone and without "practice". Them coming together to save a planet/city/whatever AFTER everything we know of happened would be less convoluted than having one film set in the past, the other the future. No reason both shouldn't be set at the same time.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Since the sequels they are planning takes place after the events of 'Jedi', I think keeping this in the same time-frame would be the best idea.

The Jedi would be older, had much more time alone and without "practice". Them coming together to save a planet/city/whatever AFTER everything we know of happened would be less convoluted than having one film set in the past, the other the future. No reason both shouldn't be set at the same time.
That raises an interesting question, actually. Since Disney is turning Star Wars into a franchise... does it really make sense to release a standalone Star Wars film (irrespective of the time frame) in proximity to/during this new trilogy? No matter what subject matter the trilogy and the standalone deal with, there's a lot of logic in keeping them distinct from one another.

Very exciting though. If anybody knows how to develop and exploit this stuff, it's Disney. Lucas tried for years to turn Indiana Jones and Star Wars into legitimate franchises but something tells me Disney will have much better luck at that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:01 pm

That works fine too. Probably better because so much time would have passed for them that some have given up the Jedi life and this is about getting their groove back.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Looks like Abrams got the gig: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney/
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

The part of me that ardently believes in Coke vs. Pepsi, DC vs. Marvel, Big Macs vs. Whoppers, Led Zeppelin vs. The Who and other such is really opposed to crossing the streams by having Star Trek's current creative driving force directing a Star Wars movie. I dig Abrams as a filmmaker and I'll bet he'll do a great job (esp since his Trek film arguably has more in common with Star Wars than traditional Star Trek anyway) but still...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:14 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:The part of me that ardently believes in Coke vs. Pepsi, DC vs. Marvel, Big Macs vs. Whoppers, Led Zeppelin vs. The Who and other such is really opposed to crossing the streams by having Star Trek's current creative driving force directing a Star Wars movie. I dig Abrams as a filmmaker and I'll bet he'll do a great job (esp since his Trek film arguably has more in common with Star Wars than traditional Star Trek anyway) but still...

I'm actually ok with it...
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next