The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Post  non_amos on Sat May 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Whatever Lois is in this, it's got to beat duh Fivehead. Singer had Spacey's beard try to portray a strong character but failed, supposedly a veteran journalist who barely appeared to be out of high school! And duh chemistry between her & ol' BJ? 'Bored' can be spelled more than one way, right? So Amy Adams may be 36 or whatever she is now but is still hot & light-years ahead of duh Fivehead. But I suppose you're right. It's like there is still some 50's mentality when it comes to how her character is handled.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat May 25, 2013 10:44 pm

The first time I can remember noticing it was when Teri Hatcher did initial press for Lois & Clark and she said words to the effect of "Lois was always played intelligent but I think she was a little more conservative [whatever the fuck that means] and I don't think this Lois is conservative at all." It made me wonder what it was about Margot Kidder flying to California to conduct interviews, blowing off date offers to interview the President or jumping in to the fucking Niagara Falls that made Hatcher think she was "conservative".
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 pm

non_amos wrote:Whatever Lois is in this, it's got to beat duh Fivehead. Singer had Spacey's beard try to portray a strong character but failed, supposedly a veteran journalist who barely appeared to be out of high school! And duh chemistry between her & ol' BJ? 'Bored' can be spelled more than one way, right? So Amy Adams may be 36 or whatever she is now but is still hot & light-years ahead of duh Fivehead. But I suppose you're right. It's like there is still some 50's mentality when it comes to how her character is handled.

Singer made the same mistake as Miller and Gough made on Smallville with Lana: Tough woman = a lying, bitchy, passive aggressive brat. And like the men in Smallville, the men in SR seem to be attracted to that character of Lois, because it's in the script, and "she's amazing!". Combine that with Kate Bosworth and it's a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of Smallville and SR, the only good thing the latter took out of the former was the same special effect for heat vision. I remember thinking that was a nice nod.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:07 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10188980/Hollywood-facing-summer-crisis-with-multiple-big-budget-flops.html

Telegraph wrote:Hollywood facing summer crisis with multiple big budget flops
Hollywood is facing a summer crisis after an unprecedented series of films with budgets of more than $100 million flopped at the box office.

Analysts are predicting that R.I.P.D, starring Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds, will become the fourth such film in as many weeks to underperform.

The costliest failure so far has been The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp, which cost $250 million (£165 million) to make, and had a huge marketing budget. It was savaged by critics as a "bloated, unfunny, sometimes downright bizarre train wreck" amid a "summer of garbage blockbusters."
And...
Telegraph wrote:Speaking at the University of Southern California in June, Spielberg predicted "an implosion where three or four, or maybe even a half dozen, mega-budget movies are going to go crashing into the ground."

Analysts said the failures were partly a result of competing studios trying to release too many big movies at the same time. There are more than 20 films with a budget of more than $100 million being released this summer, six more than last year.
And...
Telegraph wrote:Until late June, Hollywood had been on course for a record summer, following the success of early hits including Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness. and Fast & Furious 6.

However, as fatigue set in with audiences the movie industry entered what has been labelled the "dud zone," in which big releases have fared less impressively than lower budget productions. A slew of expensive films remain to be released in late July and August.

One exasperated studio head told The Hollywood Reporter: "You had too many $100 million-plus movies, not to mention $200 million-plus movies, jammed on top of each other. There isn't enough play time, and the result has been more movies that wipe out."
I've quoted what I believe to be the relevant samples of the article. The symptom is that there are a lot of big budget flops. The diagnosis appears to be that there are too many tentpole features for anybody to really keep up. The prognosis by Spielberg is that several of the tentpoles would crash and burn. And there may even be some truth to all that, esp in this economy. But I have different point of view.

I love how this article blames everything except the political ideology of The Lone Ranger and White House Down. "It's not about politics; there were simply too many blockbusters, THAT was the problem this summer!" This is the same summer where one movie hit a billion worldwide (IM3), another three have or will hit half a billion worldwide (MOS, MU, DM2) and there have been several El Cheapo sleeper hits (The Purge, The Heat, Red 2, Grown Ups 2, Now You See Me).

Whatever helps you sleep at night, people.

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

To an extent I do agree that studios are putting out more than they probably should, but there's more to it than just a simple case of over-saturation of big budget movies. Why THE LONE RANGER? Because certain parties (Depp, Verbinski) were pushing for it, not because there was such a high demand for it. It's the kind of project Disney wouldn't have ever gone for without those guys wanting it, and that says a lot given that the title alone is brand recognition which is what studios want. There is that PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN factor that they wanted to repeat, reviving a genre that hasn't been popular for awhile but that just goes to show that the phrase "nobody knows anything" lives on in Hollywood. Then there's R.I.P.D. which sounded like something that would have been awesome in the vein of GHOSTBUSTERS, but it didn't really click from the looks of the trailers and the word of mouth isn't helping. I think that's too bad, because the whole concept sounds fun enough that if they hired real talent behind it that it might have been something special. Other than Jeff Bridges, what else does it have going for it?

James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:24 am

Cheetoh-munching, basement-dwelling, unemployed and unemployable blogger wrote:The other half of my brain, however, treated the news with more of a combination of "huh?" and "meh" mostly because I assumed that DC and WB would follow Man of Steel with Man of Steel 2: Even Steelier. That's a working title, by the way. It's not a movie we can claim was universally well received or even well liked. Critics and the fan base continue to be divided over certain decisions made by Zack Snyder and David S. Goyer regarding Superman and how his story was presented. If we look at the box office numbers, Man of Steel just barely made its budget back domestically with the foreign market pushing it over the half a billion mark. If we factor in DVD/Blu-Ray sales and syndication rights, I'm sure it'll hit the one billion dollar bar we're now expecting from these movies. But if we're comparing all superhero movies to The Avengers, which we are, Man of Steel succeeded only because it had a lot of help. This was not a movie that everyone was running out of the theaters shouting, "Fuck, yeah, Superman!" while fist pumping the air. This was a movie that had a lot of people, me included, walking out of the theater wondering, "Did I just see a Superman film? And if so, what was it about?"

URL- www.wordofthenerdonline.com/skeptical-sam-is-skeptical-supermanbatman

The bolded section is the part I wish to discuss. This idiot seems to have no clue what is and is not successful in the movie biz (except, I'm sure, where Singerman is concerned; "$400 million worldwide!!"). For the moment, to hell with corporate deals and other streams. Let's just concentrate on box office gross vs. production budget.

Domestic: $285,827,010
Foreign: $350,000,000
Worldwide: $635,827,010
Production Budget: $225,000,000
Gross Revenue: $410,827,010

Of course, that doesn't include things like marketing expenses, distribution expenses, etc. At the same time, it also doesn't include other revenue streams either; it's just the raw numbers.

Can ANYBODY look at the gross revenue figure and think to himself "durrr, this movie's a flop"?

I've long had the belief that not all opinions are equally valid. Shit, I don't think most people are even worth listening to. If you think that's a dick way to feel, remember that people like the one who wrote that retarded blog are out there proving you wrong day in and day out.

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am

As hard as it is to believe in 2013 but this nut is probably still stuck on Donnerverse like we've discussed in other threads. Ya know, STM is a really good movie. Maybe too good for it's own good. Call it a blessing and a curse. It was awesome to have Reeve back in the day but even in 2013 there are still people who just can't let go. Statements in bold are for emphasis. I mean, when John Byrne came out with his own reboot in the comics it was probably controversial to some segment of the fanbase but the point is, it worked! Too bad Byrne & DC obviously didn't see eye to eye. But Byrne didn't simply retell 'Silver Age Superman'. Neither did he completely retell the Golden Age version but put his own slant on things. Things that actually made sense like both Kents being alive. Hey! It'd have been even better if he'd pictured them younger like Smallville did but he was still on the right track.

So now Snyder & Goyer try to depict a Krypton, a Superman, etc., that ain't copying verbatim what has come before. And they get lambasted like this?! Of course it's not Richard Donner or Christopher Reeve. It's not supposed to be! So I wish these douchebags would just cut someone some slack already!
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:23 am

non_amos wrote:So I wish these douchebags would just cut someone some slack already!
I wish they'd fuck off and die in a fire but I get what you're saying.

One thing that has become very clear to me through this whole thing is just how much slack I've cut Superman II over the years. Really, the only thing it has going for it is nostalgia. It's otherwise a fucking travesty of a movie and to the extent that it's watchable at all, it's all due to Richard Lester.

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:57 am

It seems that Bryan Singerman has his own thoughts on MAN OF STEEL. MOS comments will be in bold:

http://collider.com/bryan-singer-x-men-man-of-steel-star-trek/

Bryan Singer Talks X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, Previous X-MEN Movies, MAN OF STEEL, STAR TREK, and More

by Matt Goldberg 

Last week, we reported that the Fantasia International Film Festival was hosting “Rated X: An Evening with Bryan Singer” where the director would talk about his life and career.  They were also showing footage from his upcoming movie, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and it turns out they showed the same trailer from Comic-Con (you can read our recap of that footage here).  During the conversation, Singer provided some details on Days of Future Past, but also gave his thoughts on his previous movies as well other pictures including X-Men: The Last Stand, Man of Steel, and Star Trek.
Hit the jump for more.  X-Men: Days of Future Past opens in 3D on May 23, 2014.

Regarding the previous X-Men movies, he said that he prepared for the first one by watching all 70 episodes of the animated series, which is probably one of the reason I found the 2000 film so enjoyable (although it does have some problems, and they could have been the result of the production being rushed due to a release date that was moved up by six months).  Singer also said he had serious issues with editing one time, and although he didn’t specify the movie, it was likely the first X-Men since that’s the only one he hasn’t done with John Ottman.  According to JoBlo, Singer was locked out of the editing room for three days because he smashed a bottle on the wall after having such a big fight with the editor (X-Men had three editors, and Singer didn’t specify which one).  He also says Russell Crowe was willing to play Wolverine, but didn’t get the role because he wanted to play it bald.

Moving on to the X-Men movie he had nothing to do with, X-Men: The Last Stand, Singer had both praise and criticism for Brett Ratner‘s movie.  Singer wished they hadn’t killed off Cyclops, but he did like the casting of Ellen Page for Kitty Pryde.  As for why they can resurrect Professor X and not Cyclops, Singer vaguely explained they “Could justify bringing Xavier back because he transferred his consciousness and could possibly construct a body around that consciousness.”  I’m not sure if this means Xavier can never die, or if this was just a one-time thing.  Also, if he can construct a new body, then why not construct one that can walk?

Moving on to Days of Future Past, Singer reiterated that the future stuff will take place ten years after The Last Stand, but most of the movie will be set in 1973 with the First Class cast.  JoBlo reports, “You find the characters in very different places than you saw them in First Class.”  It also won’t be the happiest of X-Men movies, but it has a good message of people trying to right wrongs.  Furthemore, even though Quicksilver will be in the movie, don’t expect to see his sister Scarlet Witch.  Singer also confirmed that Josh Helman will play a young William Stryker.  Finally, the movie is being shot in 3D, so at least we don’t have to worry about a crappy post-conversion.

Singer also talked about other films and franchise.  When asked about Man of Steel, he simply says it was a very different film, and “a total re-conception of the Richard Donner movies”.  He also said that he found Henry Cavill to be a charming Superman.  The director also says his “super-sequel” to Superman Returns would have been a bit like Man of Steel with the eponymous superhero fighting off an alien threat.

Commenting briefly on Jack the Giant Slayer, Singer denied that it was “creatively compromised”, and he’s proud of the movie, but didn’t think the studio did a great job of distributing it.

Finally, for those who don’t know, Singer is a huge Star Trek fan, and he even has an uncredited cameo in Star Trek: Nemesis.  But when it comes to directing a Trek movie, Singer balked at the idea, saying that because he’s such a big fan, he would be too precious with the material, and J.J. Abrams is a better fit.  That’s almost a crazier idea than a bald Wolverine.
And as usual Singer has all the answers huh? I don't doubt that he found Cavill 'charming'. That's to be expected. But his excuse for a sequel? "Well, my sequel was pretty much the same thing as MOS." Like they say, "Yeah, right!"

His 'MOS' would have featured Jude Law as General Zod. You know, because he has a 'resemblance' to Terrance Stamp. Rolling Eyes

Jason the super-twerp would no doubt have had to be killed by Singerman due to being possessed by Brainiac.

Man! Ain't you glad we got MAN OF STEEL?! Excited
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:27 am

Apart from being a fairly unapologetic love letter to Singer (which is horrible by itself), that little column makes it sound like Singer himself is now an Apologist. You want an example? Fine. Around 2009 or so, the common Apologist argument against a reboot was that Singerman 2- Bartender of Pleather would have loads more action and adventure than Singerman did. So, the Apologist argument went, because a sequel would deliver on "everything" a reboot promised, there was obviously no point in rebooting.

Yeah, because the only problem Singerman had was too little action, right? Whatever. The lack of action sequences is just one snowflake in the blizzard that was Singerman's problems. Simply throwing in more action wouldn't have solved 90% of Singerman's problems (creepy kid, creepy Kryptonian, casting, costumes, continuity, etc).

But now we have Singer repeating the same exact line of bullshit. "MOS is pretty much what I would have done with my sequel that I still hope to make someday!" Whatever helps you sleep at night, Bryan. Now shut up because I want to hear more from Snyder and Goyer.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I want to know what happened to the images that were in the article I posted? They were they when I posted it. I know, I looked. Now they're not. What's up with that? Is it just a Firefox issue or what?
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:21 am

I was expecting a feedback from Bryan Singer on what he thinks of MOS and I knew this would be posted sooner or later. As for the comment he made about, "His sequel to Superman Returns would have turn out like Man of Steel"... I really don't buy it!

Might as well confront your loses Singer, everybodies got to sometime!!!
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I was expecting a feedback from Bryan Singer on what he thinks of MOS and I knew this would be posted sooner or later. As for the comment he made about, "His sequel to Superman Returns would have turn out like Man of Steel"... I really don't buy it!

Might as well confront your loses Singer, everybodies got to sometime!!!
Me, I have to wonder if that's all he said. As with politicians, sometimes media types will censor people to protect them from their own mouth. Singer has fully convinced me that's a completely classless douchebag of a human being. Considering some of the remarks he's made about X3 vis a vis First Class 2 ("unfucking" it), I find it hard to believe he's somehow all manners and good cheer when it comes to MOS.

But he's in a great position because nobody can judge his sequel because the motherfucker never got made. You can't compare MOS with a movie that never got produced. Or at least you can't do so fairly. But you know what we can do? Compare MOS to Singerman. And I think we all know which of those films is better.

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:50 pm

When MOS first came out, Mark Waid was quick to share his thoughts about it. He posted a review on his website which you can find at:

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked

Apparently the reaction to it was something less than stellar because he did a follow up interview with Voices From Krypton where he talked more about MOS, how people reacted to his review and all that. Check it out at:

http://voicesfromkrypton.net/man-of-steel-exclusive-talking-superman-with-mark-waid

My take on it is that I generally give Mark Waid a pass on a lot of things. When it comes to Superman fandom, I'm reluctant to acknowledge anybody else as a bigger fan than me. But Waid's the one guy who might be able to make the claim. Because of that I've gone easy on him for his reaction to Superman whacking Zod. And I can even see his argument.

I'm just not convinced by his argument. He raises good points, he makes a compelling case, all that, but at the same time I see what Snyder and Goyer were up to in MOS and it's clear that Superman killing Zod isn't going to get swept under the rug. They intend to deal with that in the future and, as with MOS, I'm committed to giving them a chance. Objectivity and an open mind paid off with MOS so why not use the same approach with future movies?

Anyway, figured you all might want to read what Waid has to say. He gave the interview months ago but I don't see where it's time-sensitive.

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 am

Although this is dated 10/31/2013 I just found it & couldn't agree more with the points made:

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/10/5-reasons-man-of-steel-is-the-best-superman-movie-ever/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

5 Reasons Man of Steel is the Best Superman Movie Ever
October 31st, 2013 at 8:16 am by Jeremy Conrad

Best. Superman Movie. Ever.
I have said that Man of Steel is the Superman movie I’ve wanted to see my entire life. And it is. The movie is hitting Blu-Ray in just over a week, and if you haven’t seen it you should read our review where we gush over how awesome it is, and then here are five reasons why it’s still the best Superman movie ever made:
Lois Isn’t a Blind Idiot

She sees aliens, but she can’t figure out Clark is Superman? Perfect change.
This was the biggest change to the mythos, and the most welcome. Lois Lane is supposed to be a brilliant investigative reporter, but we’re expected to believe that she can’t figure out that Clark Kent is Superman just because he wears a pair of glasses? Having Lois figure out his identity right from the start is a needed change for the character and one that should absolutely move over to the New 52 comics…
It’s the Comic Book Krypton

THAT’S the Krypton we’ve known in the comics for a while…
This isn’t the Richard Donner ice crystals, which did eventually make their way over to the comics. This is the technologically advanced Krypton with its own alien beasts and cities. I also love that they adapted the comic book idea that Superman’s suit is Kryptonian armor, which is exactly what it is in the New 52 as well. They did an excellent job tying the movie Kryptonian stuff from the comics to Man of Steel.
It Establishes a Shared DC Cinematic Universe

Wayne Enterprises!
From multiple appearances of LexCorp in the movie, to the Wayne Enterprises satellite, Man of Steel is the first movie in the DC Cinematic Universe. I can’t wait to see where it goes from here, and if I had to compare this start to Marvel’s start in Iron Man, I’d say Man of Steel was the superior kick off of the two…
Kryptonians Fight Like Kryptonians

People bashed the destruction, but that’s what happens when Kryptonians fight…
For the first time we finally get to see true Kryptonian fights on the screen. Fast and extremely powerful, this is the sort of thing we’ve seen in comics, but never in a movie. Not even any of the Hulk movies have shown strength like this. The speed at which Superman and Zod fought each other, and yes even the controversial destruction, finally puts a DC comic on the big screen in the way we’ve always wanted.
The Music

It’s sad that he may not return for the sequel…
This is the most controversial point, but Hans Zimmer’s score is one of the highlights of Man of Steel. Leading up to the movie, his theme was the most worrisome part of the movie. How could he possibly live up to John Williams? The result was something completely different, and it really ties in with the alien science fiction feel that the Superman comics have always delivered.
Honorable Mention:
That Ending

I want to see Batman vs Superman right now!
Clark arrives for his first day at the Daily Planet and Lois of course recognizes him. The theme finally is full and it swells. You can’t be a Superman fan and not grin, cheer, and look forward to Batman vs. Superman in 2015

I hope these pics stick & don't disappear. Anyway, good to see some love for MOS! There should be more articles like this.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:42 am

That dude really summarized my attitude about the final scene in MOS. It's a celebratory moment because Snyder earned it. I always smile big when I see that scene. It's just COOL. If you don't dig on at least that individual scene, I question your fandom.

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:54 am

thecolorsblend wrote:That dude really summarized my attitude about the final scene in MOS. It's a celebratory moment because Snyder earned it. I always smile big when I see that scene. It's just COOL. If you don't dig on at least that individual scene, I question your fandom.

Ya know, those Donnerites out there & associated press & media & what-not, film critics & the like, no doubt don't have love for MOS like those of us 'in the know'. The fact that Clark Kent, the reporter with glasses, doesn't show up until the end of the film without a doubt irritates them to no end! "He's not Reeve!" "Where's the Lois & Clark 'cat & mouse' game?" "Where's John Williams?" Ad nauseum.

But you're right. That scene was awesomely delivered! And even with the 'disguise' Lois already knew who he was anyway but didn't expose him. And don't get me wrong. I loved STM & all but somehow this is a breath of fresh air compared to, "Well, golly Lois. Swell!" Complete with tripping over every object in sight! And then when Superman came on the scene in those films we have Lois going "And as usual Clark is not around."

Yeah, MAN OF STEEL was refreshing on all counts, critics be hanged.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 am

It's irritating because it wasn't Donner and was Snyder. Sort of a double-whammy for some people. I'm just glad nobody had that attitude about Batman. "Where's Elfman? And I miss Burton's matte paintings, man. Plus, Bale is no Keaton, let's just put it that way."

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Meh, I've already resigned myself to the fact that the people who claim not to like this movie, critics included, judged the movie they DIDN'T get instead of the one they DID.

And you can't win with idiots like that.

Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top