Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

+4
non_amos
thecolorsblend
James Stocks
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Post  non_amos Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 pm

James Stocks wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:The argument has flaws. For starters, it's my view that audiences didn't reject Singerman because they'd seen most of it before the movie opened. They rejected it because they simply weren't interested in it. It's as simple as that.

Agreed. I think SR was well marketed on all fronts but ultimately nobody seemed to give a shit about it. The only folks outraged at the movie were on internet message boards, otherwise most general audiences seemed to be indifferent about the whole thing and were more attracted to the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN sequel, blowing SR out of the water in such a humiliating note (though not as horribly humiliating as STAR TREK NEMESIS opening behind a J-Lo flick of all things). Because of that indifference it seems like general audiences now have total amnesia about SR. Even the SR joke in TED had a mixed reaction because most of everyone forgot there was a Superman film that came out a few years ago.

Based on what ALF posted concerning MOS per Twitter it seems that audiences are having an opposite reaction than what they did with SR. In spite of duh brother's lack of marketing do you suppose that could at least be in part because Cavill actually looks like Superman? BJ simply didn't & I think it showed. Remember that first official pic of BJ? All downhill from there folks! Cavill OTOH looks pumped & ready to take on an actual villain in Zod. And so far everything looks great! I think the outcome will be different this time.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Post  James Stocks Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 am

The only people that thought he didn't look like Superman were those on the internet message boards. I think the positive reaction could be more related to "hey dude the guy who did Dark Knight is doing this one!" This is why WB wanted and begged Nolan for this, just having his name attached gives it a lot of leeway that SR didn't have going for t.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 am

thecolorsblend wrote:But when TIH came along in 2008, it made it okay to not like the 2003 movie. Nobody felt compelled to defend it anymore. And in the long term, I think history will ultimately forget about the Ang Lee version.

All this to say I truly hope the same thing happens with Superman and people forget Singer and Blandon while the Apologists either go away to their circle jerk of obscurity or just shut up once MOS comes out.

I was thinking the same thing since what TIH is to "The Hulk" is what MOS eventually going to be to SR, an improvement to the prior!

Just to add on a personal note... Before TIH I didn't think "The Hulk" was as bad as others make it out to be and was more supportive of a sequel rather than a reboot but after TIH I actually like that one more than "The Hulk". But in regards to Superman, I couldn't wait for Supes to be rebooted not after the way SR turned out. But just ask yourself... As premature it may sound, if we got MOS back in 2006 instead of SR don't you think we would have sequels and spawning other DC based solo films along with a "Justice League" film alot earlier by now?
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:As premature it may sound, if we got MOS back in 2006 instead of SR don't you think we would have sequels and spawning other DC based solo films along with a "Justice League" film alot earlier by now?
No, because TDK was coming no matter what. After BB, WB might've been willing to force Nolan into a shared universe. But starting from about late 2007/early 2008, they began to realize what TDK was going to be and weren't going to do anything that might alienate Nolan. So even if they'd been willing to do a JLA thing, Batman would've either been different from his solo franchise (which is bad) or left out of the movie entirely (which is worse).

I'll never forgive Singerman but this situation has worked out about as well as it could've under the circumstances.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  BHoward Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 pm

If I remember correctly, WB was pretty low key with Batman Begins marketing as well. I kind of think they are doing the same thing with MOS as it is a pretty similar situation. Batman and Robin was a bad movie and left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Same as Superman Returns. However you would think they would want to show that this movie has nothing to do with SR and gives as much unrevealing news as possible.

BHoward
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:58 pm

BHoward wrote:If I remember correctly, WB was pretty low key with Batman Begins marketing as well. I kind of think they are doing the same thing with MOS as it is a pretty similar situation. Batman and Robin was a bad movie and left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Same as Superman Returns. However you would think they would want to show that this movie has nothing to do with SR and gives as much unrevealing news as possible.

You make a good point about Batman Begins vs. Batman and Robin in relation to Singerman. However, you'd also think that duh brothers would've learned their lesson even from that. Case in point. BB did make a small profit even off of it's theatrical release although it was modest. Singerman OTOH supposedly 'made more than Begins' according to duh apologists but it actually lost money. Remember, budget vs. box office. Anyway, BB was still a 'sleeper' hit. In other words, it took the DVD sales & Cable rentals & such to really bust the thing wide open which obviously led to the sequel TDK. Nevertheless I guarantee you that if there hadn't still been a bad aftertaste from B&R that BB would've done better at the initial box office than it did.

But you see, this is a documented fact. Duh brothers, if they have even half of a brain, already know this! Now if you want to give them the benefit of a doubt, then maybe 'Begins' wasn't really planned that way intentionally. Maybe they really didn't have a lot of faith in it initially & were even surprised by it's success? But like I said, they know this now. So why try to 'duplicate' this with THE MAN OF STEEL? Do they want MOS to be a 'sleeper' hit that it takes the DVD to really break it open & wait for the sequel to do gazillions of dollars?!

What's wrong with this picture? Frustration
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Seems risky to chase the fluke of a success that was the Nolanverse. I understand that they're a business and, like any business, they tend to think in formulas but you'd think they of all people would realize how unrepeatable most of that stuff is.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 pm

The modest marketing for Batman Begins made sense at the time and has been a tradition of sorts for every studio after a franchise film falls short. It's been done with Star Trek and James Bond and it usually paid off. After Superman Returns it makes sense to dial it down so that you're not risking too much money.

Still, I think they could do so much better than the way they're going about. They don't have to put out glass mugs at McDonalds, but at least throw us some new stills.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:04 am

James Stocks wrote:The modest marketing for Batman Begins made sense at the time and has been a tradition of sorts for every studio after a franchise film falls short. It's been done with Star Trek and James Bond and it usually paid off. After Superman Returns it makes sense to dial it down so that you're not risking too much money.

Still, I think they could do so much better than the way they're going about. They don't have to put out glass mugs at McDonalds, but at least throw us some new stills.
Part of me wonders if it's right to compare this to other franchises because they all had their own fairly unique circumstances (and fuck's sake man, the Bond franchise is a law unto itself, if you ask me). All I've got is my gut instinct that a muted marketing campaign for what's intended to be a summer smash to fix what the last one did wrong when there's this much at stake is a wrongheaded approach. Moviegoers seemed to forget about Singerman the weekend Pirates 2 came out -- which, in my opinion, is an even worse insult than bad worth of mouth because at least people care if they smack-talk you; indifference is the ultimate putdown. Since "the last movie" may as well not even exist, WB should press MOS. People are excited about Iron Man, Star Trek, Kick-Ass, Evil Dead, Wolverine, on and on and on. MOS, whether any of the bigwigs like it or not, has to sweat for space in peoples imaginations... and this coming summer has a shitload of competition. It'd be nice to think there's room for everybody (the summer of 2008 supports that theory) but who wants to take the chance?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm

This is the thread for shooting one's mouth off, right? Well here we go. One thing I'm really sick of is having to defend MOS. I'm the "guilty until proven innocent" guy. But Snyder has a solid resumé, Cavill is a great actor, he worked like hell to look the part and the new outfit looks to be about as close to The Suit as Snyder was permitted to get. Beyond that, I and other get serious Smallville, Birthright, STAS and Bronze Age vibes from the footage we've seen up to now. Yeah, there's reason to be concerned but there's reason for hope too.

And I even get where some of those people are coming from. They fell in love with the Byrne Age Superman but DC cleared the decks of all things 80's and 90's (at least as far as Superman is concerned) back in 2006 for Sucky Origin before clearing the decks even of that in 2011 for the even suckier New 52. Those people are hurt, disenfranchised and pissed off. And they're cynical that MOS will be much more in line with their likings. I get it.

But fuck's sake, some people are bashing just to bash. People on the Internet whine and complain. It's the nature of things. But think of it like this: I don't care about MOS in the grander scheme of things. I'll be there at the midnight premiere but my fandom is nowhere near as staked on MOS as it was for Singerman. I didn't care for the direction SV had been going in up to the Singerman premiere and, beyond that, I'd waited damned near 20 years for a new movie. Singerman is all I've got to show for it right now.

It's over and it can't be undone. That disappointment ain't going away. But I've got 35 years worth of what I consider kickass Superman comics, some good movies and even more awesome TV stuff. If my fandom hinges on just those things... you know, I'm cool with that. I don't need MOS; I want it and I'd sure love it if it was amazing but NEED it? No.

So if I can stray from being the obnoxious, reactionary asshole I usually am, surely some of the crankier, older fucks than me can loosen up a little bit and at least give the new movie a shot. It just seems like MOS is a weird thing to pick as your hill to die on.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 pm

This just in, DC Collectables just feature a preview of an upcoming 1,6 scale stature of Supes from MOS that is said it'll be available in May (A month before the film is release). Also in edition, an image from the trailer is featured in the upcoming summer's edition of "Entertainment Weekly" magazine but hopefully we'll see a new image of Cavill in the suit on the front cover.

Here's the image of the 1,6 scale stature...

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 MoSM_Superman

And here's the image from one of the pages of this summer's issue EW magazine...

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 Ix5Rn
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm

It's an impressive statue, but why does the face look more Bale and less Cavill?

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 Dc+direct+superman+man+of+steel+statue+2
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:45 pm

I blame the eye brows. And I guess brow line in general.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 am

non_amos wrote:And I guess we can rule out the trunks, in post or not. This pic pretty much confirms the direction they're going. I guess we'll have to give up on wishful thinking.
For now. But one never knows what a sequel may bring...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 pm

I think the point of this thread is like, we see crap like 'Cavill was on a date.....with a girl' & it's basically non-news. Or we hear Shannon 'go around his elbow to get back to his thumb' & we still know.....nothing. "Look! Amy Adams got out of a cab! Breaking news!" I think that's the gist. I mean, just how many articles or interviews have we read in recent times that wasn't anything that we didn't already know? But now that we're getting concrete things like the toys & merchandising, then that should go in real news.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:55 pm

This is why I believe in laissez-faire moderating. Ultimately, people can work this shit out for themselves.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:22 am

In edition to the 1,6 scale stature, another 1,6 scale stature of Cavill as Supes is presented only this time it's from the company of Kotobukiya and unlike the last one this one has somewhat of a battle stance to it and the facial is actually spot on which personally I consider this as an improvement!

Check it out...

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 130419%2DKotobukiya01
The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 130419%2DKotobukiya04
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 pm

If you like videos where Michael Shannon reads e-mails written by sorority presidents, uses funny voices, shouts, says "cunt" and uses profanities (all of which come from the e-mail), dude, this is EXACTLY the video for you.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4ad20b4edf/michael-shannon-reads-the-insane-sorority-letter
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 pm

More non-news. Jim Lee saw 'Man Of Steel':

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingLeonidas/news/?a=78912

Its epic. It's got a lot of heart. But one things that was missing from the last Superman movie was the action and this movie has it in spades. It is a visual thrill ride. It is amazing. You get to see all the powers of Superman in all its glory and I think people are going to blown away.

Henry is awesome in the movie. He is very different from Brandon and Christopher. He's a man's man, very virile and very yoked (jacked), believable, very brooding, at the same time it's a real fresh take on Superman.

The special effects are way over the top I mean you are going to see superpowers that you've never seen before, depicted on the screen in the ways that you would have never imagined. So it's really exciting.

It's an amazing re-imagining of Superman. There's stuff in there that you have never seen in a Superman movie before. Special effects are incredible but it's got a lot of heart. It brought me to tears actually, a couple of times in the movie and that doesn't happen a lot.

I'm surprised he didn't say that the only thing missing was a high collar. Cuz, ya know, high collars are deeshiznit!!

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Yeah but I'm sure Lee is happy that at least the 'underwear' are gone. I guess he gets that much at least. Frustration
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 05, 2013 9:25 pm

In some ways, his approval is valuable. The guy is the Michael Bay of comics. If he approves of the action quotient, we at least know it won't be another Singerman snooze fest.

On the other hand, he's a companyman directly on DCE's payroll so it's not like he's going to shit-talk his own movie.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 am

http://screenrant.com/marvel-dc-superhero-movies-discussion-differences-avengers-justice-league

This article dives into the key differences (so far) between how Marvel and DC have adapted comics into film. Some of it is obvious but some of it... well, I found it helpful. It relates to MOS fairly often so it felt like the best fit was this thread.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 22, 2013 2:39 pm

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread - Page 2 942576_4701537305839_939342527_n
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm

www.sfx.co.uk/2013/05/24/man-of-steel-producer-talks-lois-lane-costume-choices-alpha-male-rivalry-and-more

"I think that our Lois is a little feistier and stronger."
- Deborah Snyder (producer)

Why is it that any time a new Superman project gets underway, the people responsible always have to say their Lois is a tough, no-nonsense modern woman... and thus imply that all previous incarnations were shrinking violets? Is there some secret list of talking points they all *HAVE* to read from before this becomes a *REAL* Superman movie or show or whatever else? Damn that's irritating.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm

It is, and its always the same character anyway. Even in her own comic book series during the silver age she was like that. She's always been a progressive type of character, ahead during her time. But it seems every filmmaker has amnesia regarding her portrayal.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next