Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

+4
non_amos
thecolorsblend
James Stocks
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Empty The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Here, we can places the numerous, and seemingly non-ending, bits of "non-news" about 'MOS'. Interviews, conjecture, anything that is a whole lot of nothin' goes here.

Enjoy.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Empty Re: The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Here's one:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/superman-man-steel-henry-cavill-seen-wonder-woman-gina-carano

Superman Man of Steel Henry Cavill Seen With Wonder Woman Gina Carano

Posted by: Matt McGloin, Editor/Publisher
September 26, 2012 23:22 | Updated: 13 hours 51 min Ago

Guess what's rumored for the new Superman movie, Man of Steel?

A Wonder Woman appearance.

Guess who is a couple in the DC Comics?

Superman and Wonder Woman.

Guess who was spotted together at the recent McLaren Automotive unveiling?

Henry Cavill with fitness model/mma star/actress/americangladiator Gina Carano.

Guess who's the "favorite" to play Wonder Woman.

Yup.

We know Henry Cavill broke up with his fiancee.

Wonder where Cavill and Carano met?

Yup.

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Image0004

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Image0003

More pics at the link.

What's interesting is, Cavill has grown his hair out to the same length it was for the 'Man Of Steel' filming.... scratch
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Empty Re: The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread

Post  James Stocks Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 pm

She's got a nice rack, she'll make a great Wonder Woman.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Here's some more:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=68057

David S. Goyer On MAN OF STEEL

Goyer talks Man of Steel, says he and Christopher Nolan will bring the same 'naturalistic approach' they used on Batman. Do you guys think that same approach will work for a Kryptonian alien who flies and shoots laser beams out of his eyes?
Mark Julian - 10/1/2012

David S. Goyer is a frequent scribe of comic book movie adaptations. There's Blade, Blade II, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises. But there's also Blade: Trinity and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance which prevents some superhero enthusiasts from giving the writer a full endorsement. Regardless, the suits at Warner Bros. apparently have strong confidence in Goyer, placing two of the studio's biggest upcoming film franchises, Godzilla and Superman in the hands of Goyer, films the studio hopes can fill a void left by the completion of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogys and the Harry Potter film series. Below, Goyer shares a brief sentiment about his approach to Man of Steel.

What Man of Steel has in common with Goyer’s previous works:

Goyer: What Christopher Nolan and I have done with Superman is try to bring the same naturalistic approach that we adopted for the Batman trilogy. We always had a naturalistic approach, we want our stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in. It’s not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn’t necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would the presence of Superman in the real world have? What I really like to do is write ‘genre’ stories without a cartoonish element. I did the same with Da Vinci’s Demons, and I’ll do the same with Man of Steel.”

I'm sure there are strong opinions out there about how to approach Superman but we'll ultimately have to wait and see how the film turns out. The original Christopher Reeve films and the more recent Superman Returns all had a bit of kitsch and self-awareness of the genre they were representing. In the brief trailer that was released for Zack Snyder's take there was no hint of that so I'd wager we'll definitely be seeing a unique take this June.

Nothing we didn't already know / assume.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
David Goyer wrote:Goyer: What Christopher Nolan and I have done with Superman is try to bring the same naturalistic approach that we adopted for the Batman trilogy. We always had a naturalistic approach, we want our stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in. It’s not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn’t necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would the presence of Superman in the real world have? What I really like to do is write ‘genre’ stories without a cartoonish element. I did the same with Da Vinci’s Demons, and I’ll do the same with Man of Steel.”
Nothing we didn't already know / assume.
Not sure I completely agree with that. Oh sure, it's not really "news" but it does contribute to a few black helicopter conspiracy theories I've heard.

Basically I've seen ideas tossed about that Snyder is taking MOS in a direction that is kinda sorta totally foreign to what Goyer and Nolan originally intended. It's his right to do as the director of the thing. Nolan may be big shit at WB but their policy remains giving their directors a free hand in most cases. So if that means letting Snyder take MOS places outside of Goyer's intentions, hey, so be it. The utter lack of any mention of Snyder by Goyer in that quote there... well, it says a lot without saying too much of anything so far as that goes.

The other bit is that it's another reminder to me that Goyer's sensibilities regarding "genre movies" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) is skewed. Superman works because there's basically nothing realistic inherent to the character. I'd argue the same is at least as true of Batman but it's definitely true of Superman. Goyer once again playing that dipshit "realistic" card tells me all I need to know about how much he doesn't understand comics as a genre. It's one thing to play with the tropes of a genre (see basically anything Alan Moore's ever done). It's quite another to repudiate them. And yes, I think that can be said of Batman Begins. And apart from Snyder's intervention, the same may also end up being true of MOS.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Not sure I completely agree with that. Oh sure, it's not really "news" but it does contribute to a few black helicopter conspiracy theories I've heard.

Basically I've seen ideas tossed about that Snyder is taking MOS in a direction that is kinda sorta totally foreign to what Goyer and Nolan originally intended. It's his right to do as the director of the thing. Nolan may be big shit at WB but their policy remains giving their directors a free hand in most cases. So if that means letting Snyder take MOS places outside of Goyer's intentions, hey, so be it. The utter lack of any mention of Snyder by Goyer in that quote there... well, it says a lot without saying too much of anything so far as that goes.

Possibly.

The other bit is that it's another reminder to me that Goyer's sensibilities regarding "genre movies" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean) is skewed. Superman works because there's basically nothing realistic inherent to the character. I'd argue the same is at least as true of Batman but it's definitely true of Superman. Goyer once again playing that dipshit "realistic" card tells me all I need to know about how much he doesn't understand comics as a genre. It's one thing to play with the tropes of a genre (see basically anything Alan Moore's ever done). It's quite another to repudiate them. And yes, I think that can be said of Batman Begins. And apart from Snyder's intervention, the same may also end up being true of MOS.

Well, the "realism" part is being focused on too much. And I'm not sure why?

Watch 'Superman The Movie' again some time, and tell me it isn't a "realistic" world? I mean, you can't find ANYTHING outside of the Krypton/Superman stuff that ISN'T realistic. From the clothes, to the politics of the time, to people's reactions. All things you would have found in NY City in 1977.

If they were to try and make SUPERMAN "realistic", I would have serious issues. But since we have already seen they are not, I don't have concerns with that word being thrown around too much.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 am

My answer to that is that when you said "comic book" back in 1978, most people thought "Adam West". To some degree, I think comicdom will never live that down. But it was especially true at the time. The Salkinds and Donner knew they had to give STM as much credibility as possible, hence Hackman and Brando, the (for the time) very high production values, all that. And the fairly real world setting. Plus, it gave contrast to Superman. "I'm here to fight for truth, justice and the American way" during the post-Vietnam, post-Watergate, Jimmy Carter years.

I maintain though that if Donner had stuck around, he would eventually have faced the same conflict Nolan did. You either betray the realism that's been set up by bringing in costumed supervillains or else you modify those characters almost beyond recognition to force them into the style set up by STM; I don't see too much of a third choice. There are only so many times audiences are going to be eager to see Superman foil Lex's latest real estate scheme.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 am

thecolorsblend wrote:My answer to that is that when you said "comic book" back in 1978, most people thought "Adam West". To some degree, I think comicdom will never live that down. But it was especially true at the time. The Salkinds and Donner knew they had to give STM as much credibility as possible, hence Hackman and Brando, the (for the time) very high production values, all that. And the fairly real world setting. Plus, it gave contrast to Superman. "I'm here to fight for truth, justice and the American way" during the post-Vietnam, post-Watergate, Jimmy Carter years.

I maintain though that if Donner had stuck around, he would eventually have faced the same conflict Nolan did. You either betray the realism that's been set up by bringing in costumed supervillains or else you modify those characters almost beyond recognition to force them into the style set up by STM; I don't see too much of a third choice. There are only so many times audiences are going to be eager to see Superman foil Lex's latest real estate scheme.

And see, there's the thing:

'Man Of Steel' will have TWO costumed supervillains. In film #1!

So no pig-heading yourself into making a shitty, plot-crater ridden 3rd film or anything with Snyder. The man knows how to do "fantastic".
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 am

Setting Superman in the late 70s era worked great because it reinforces how timeless the idea of Superman is, heck in the context of that time he was more needed than ever as an inspirational figure. Singer sorta had that chance with post-9/11 but portraying Superman in the manner he did really backfired and was inappropriate timing. From the looks of it Snyder's film will be not too different from 1978's approach but it will certainly have a bigger kick to it now that you can do anything with computer technology and I have confidence in Snyder putting his own unique touch to make it seem more contemporary.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:14 pm

More non-news to report? The so-called official MOS Facebook page had on there Sunday morning that this song here might be included in the film? Might being the key word. I guess Snyder & company are supposedly trying to figure out where to place it. If you watch this video you'll see the Clark Kent imagery repeatedly but no real Superman imagery other than the 'S' symbol on T-shirts.

If true then I suppose there will be some rock music in this film besides the official score? That will be a first won't it? At least for Superman films anyway. It was common on SMALLVILLE though. But if you're start putting rock songs in it, then one song that gets my vote is KRYPTONITE by 3 Doors Down. The video is kinda silly but the song rocks & feels like it ought to belong in MOS.

non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm

The ww non news story is interesting. And gina would make for one hell of a ww. Though I really don't want to see superman shack up with ww in films this soon. I still like to see some supes/lois/lois and clark relationships first. As for the goyer article caught it a few days ago. A nice read but I agree with you guys. Not cool not commenting on snyder influence on the film. And who knows how much of goyer script even made it into the film. Since we do know snyder and a few of his own writers did some redrafts on film. And we don't need to hear all heroes films taked about in a realistic approach/stlye. More so for a film about a flying heat vision shooting alien from another planet..
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:22 am

Since this epitomizes "non news", this seems like a good spot for are some Facebook covers I made.

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup10

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup11
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:53 pm

More non-news, this time from Goyer:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/13/nycc-man-of-steel-david-goyer

I really Rolling Eyes at his Chris Nolan comment. I mean wtf, the guy (and his wife) said more than once how this is Snyders movie and blablabla and now everyone, well, first Snyder (´´don't tell Chris`` - before playing CC footage) now Goyer throw out these comments as if Nolan was running the whole show or something.

But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he and his wife did, should have taken the hint after seeing the Syncopy logo along with WB and Legendary on the teaser (and no Cruel and Unusual Films, even though Deborah Snyder is also a producer). I guess the schmucks over at WB are still busy crawling deep inside Nolans butthole now that he made them another billion.

3 months has passed since SDCC and less than 8 months to go until the movie is out and still nothing. Sleep
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm

A couple of thoughts here. Are they really dissing Zack Snyder here? Or are they trying to play Nolan up more to 'drum up' sales? I mean, I think we all know that to duh WB Nolan = box office gold. Snyder has been successful too but to duh media it's more of a 'mixed bag'. Snyder has had some successful films but then some, not so much, even if they were actually good like WATCHMEN. So my point is that they might be trying to capitalize on Nolan's involvement more so to get those billion dollar sales going.

Another thought is Michael Shannon as Zod. It sounds like we're in for a real treat here! Goyer seemed awestruck with Shannon's performance but remember, even Amy Adams said Shannon was 'terrifying'! I can't hardly wait to see it myself! Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Nicee banners. As for goyer comments blah. We know nolan wsnt on hand for filming had it was more zack film then his. But goyer/wb probably want to play up nolan invovlement since tdkr was success for them. But I doubt much of nolans/goyer original script made it through all the rewrrites zack/his guys did.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Interview with Joe Letteri, Visual Effects Supervisor:

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:35 am

New trailer, new facebook covers. Make it so.

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup10

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup11

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup13

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup14

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup15

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup16

The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread Fb-sup17
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 am

Oh yes, and this goes in the non-news thread because I don't think some asshole making facebook pictures from trailer screen caps fits any definition of the word "news". If you disagree, well, I'm sure being wrong is nothing new for you.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:03 am

I have the same outlook on the lack of marketing for MOS as most of you. I've even floated the black helicopter conspiracy theory that WB is mostly making the movie to abide by a court ruling; left to their own devices, Superman would still be on ice. They don't want this and they never did.

But a friend made a suggestion that I hadn't considered. He said that between Bryan Singer's stupid web journals, the magazine cover stories, the litany of teasers, TV spots, trailers, tie-ins and other shit, the public was basically shown everything Singerman had to offer (inasmuch as it had anything at all to offer) weeks (or months) before the movie even came out. This friend suggested that this approach is what WB is trying to avoid this time around. They don't want to tip their hand like last time.

The argument has flaws. For starters, it's my view that audiences didn't reject Singerman because they'd seen most of it before the movie opened. They rejected it because they simply weren't interested in it. It's as simple as that. But, my friend argues, WB's alleged opinion about the marketing doesn't have to be true; they simply have to believe it to be true. He said they've basically kept the project about as under the radar as you'd want any movie to be to drum up interest closer to the release.

I dunno. I don't buy it but there's not much else to talk about right now so...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:31 am

I dunno if I'd even give duh brothers that much credit. But here's hoping that MOS succeeds whether duh brothers like it or not. I mean, Cavill appears to be too good a take on Superman to flop. Ditto for this all-star cast as well. So if failure is what's on their minds then they've sure got a funny way of showing it.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 pm

I just find it funny that they are the KINGS at killing ANY momentum this film builds-up.

Release a pic in August '11? Not another fucking word until July '12.

Release a teaser trailer July 21st, 2012? Not another peep until December 4th, 2012.

Trailer released online on December 11th, 2012? Probably won't hear SHIT until the Super Bowl at the earliest. Maybe.

So, to sum it up, in just under 18 months we've had an official picture, two posters, a teaser trailer and a full-length trailer. Now check out 'Iron Man 3', and what it has released in HALF that time...
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Even the new Star Trek film seems to be stirring up more hype than MOS. It also comes out nearly a full month before as well. At least I guess that will be enough time beforehand that maybe MOS will win it's opening weekend? Man of who.....?! Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:04 am

non_amos wrote:Even the new Star Trek film seems to be stirring up more hype than MOS.

I don't think so. The hype for MOS is as good as it can be at the moment, IMO, no thanks to WB really.

Twitter Report: Man of Steel soars

If Warner Bros. is hoping for 2013's Man of Steel to carry the torch left behind by Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, they're off to the right start.

Early last week, the studio debuted the first full trailer online (second overall when counting the summer's shorter teaser trailer) and it immediately made waves throughout the Internet. In fact, within 24 hours the film was tracking as highly as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - during the middle of its release week - on our daily Twitter tracking.

Man of Steel yielded over 43,000 tweets on Tuesday, December 11 with an excellent 17:1 positive-to-negative comment ratio. The tweet count represented a 10,674 percent increase in Twitter activity from the day before.

To give an idea of how impressive that single day tweet total is for Man of Steel, it exceeded that of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2's 41,870 tweets generated on the day of its first full trailer's release back in June. The Twilight franchise has always had an incredibly strong following across social media platforms, and while the same can be said of comic book movies and their fans, this kind of interest level is a great sign when considering Superman's disappointing box office history after the early 1980s.

Man of Steel's Twitter activity was also near identical to that of The Dark Knight Rises when its first full trailer debuted online almost exactly one year ago. The Batman finale tallied 41,629 tweets on December 19, 2011, a 9.97 percent jump from the day before.

Another comparison of note: Marvel's The Avengers debuted its second trailer on February 29 of this year, generating 37,021 tweets on that day and representing an 1,161 percent increase in activity from the day before.

In short: so far, thanks to the large number of online fans and expanded interest that director Zack Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan bring to the franchise reboot, Warner Bros. and DC Comics are definitely hitting the right notes when it comes to the first stage of marketing for this highly anticipated summer tent pole.

Man of Steel is currently scheduled for release on Friday, June 14, 2013. You can view the trailer below.

I would also like to add that the trailer already has more views (nearly 24 million as of this writing) on YouTube in under 2 weeks, than he first full trailer of Avengers (yes, I know the last one got more, as will MOS's) did in over a year. Also more than The Amazing Spider-Man. It will probably surpass TDKR first full trailer by the time another trailer for MOS comes out.

So either WB got lucky and this is all due to the fact that the movie looks great - also consider that this trailer was really more of a (proper) teaser with a lot not shown - and that it has Nolan's name on it (as much as it bugs me to say, but this IS a factor), or simply because Superman is still such a powerful figure....OR, they actually know what they're doing this time around and we all need to chill as I doubt any of us are schooled in the marketing field. I'd rather lean to the first option.

The funny thing now will be to observe how WB follows this up. Hopefully they wont screw it up. Hopefully...
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 pm

You know, for a lot of years there, Hulk fans had no choice but to try to defend the Ang Lee movie. Every conceivable excuse was made for that turd (although I would argue that the 2003 Hulk is Shakespeare compared to Singerman). But when TIH came along in 2008, it made it okay to not like the 2003 movie. Nobody felt compelled to defend it anymore. And in the long term, I think history will ultimately forget about the Ang Lee version.

All this to say I truly hope the same thing happens with Superman and people forget Singer and Blandon while the Apologists either go away to their circle jerk of obscurity or just shut up once MOS comes out.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:59 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:The argument has flaws. For starters, it's my view that audiences didn't reject Singerman because they'd seen most of it before the movie opened. They rejected it because they simply weren't interested in it. It's as simple as that.

Agreed. I think SR was well marketed on all fronts but ultimately nobody seemed to give a shit about it. The only folks outraged at the movie were on internet message boards, otherwise most general audiences seemed to be indifferent about the whole thing and were more attracted to the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN sequel, blowing SR out of the water in such a humiliating note (though not as horribly humiliating as STAR TREK NEMESIS opening behind a J-Lo flick of all things). Because of that indifference it seems like general audiences now have total amnesia about SR. Even the SR joke in TED had a mixed reaction because most of everyone forgot there was a Superman film that came out a few years ago.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next