The "Singerman Effect"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:57 pm

You know, I have noticed something in the 6 years since the Singerman abortion and the Apologist playbook. And that is:

Fans of movies these days, especially FLOPS like 'John Carter', or much maligned films like 'Prometheus', spout the same bullshit Apologists did (And still do) about Singerman. People just "weren't smart enough to get it" bullshit.

Why is this? Is it insecurity, to know that THEY are in the minority, so in order to reverse the negatives inherent they go on the "attack"? Do they really BELIEVE it? Are they that fucking stupid?

Take this little nugget from AICN:

"Please, just because Prometheus wasn't what you 'wanted', grow up and try it again in a few years, because it's a lot better than you think.

Perfect? No. But better than the slating you ADD fucktards are giving it."
.

Think back about 5 years ok, and plug in 'Superman Returns' instead of 'Prometheus'. We might have read that exact same thing on the SSS Blog. It's a troubling little trend on the interwebs these days, and from what I have seen, it started with that piece of shit Singerman Peeps.

Just another thing we can "thank" Bryan Singer for, fella's....


_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:58 pm

For the Apologists, it's sort of their last hope for credibility.

"Singerman is a wonderful reinvention of the mythos!"
No it isn't, it completely destroys the mythos. If you make a sequel to Singerman, there's no way you can stick to the classic mythos without making the characters look like irresponsible douchebags.

"Singerman honors Chris Reeve's legacy and memory."
It's a mockery of everything that made his franchise cool. Reeve's Superman was a noble, self-sacrificing hero. Singerman was a creepy, stalkery pud. If you put Singerman into the same context as STM and S2, it only shows us that "Superman" has learned absolutely nothing from his experiences!

"Singerman earned *LOTS* of money, esp worldwide!"
Do I even need to tackle this one anymore?

"It would've made even more money if it didn't have to compete against Pirates 2."
Singerman got the shit beaten out of it even in territories where Pirates 2 came out first. Explain that one, Apologists!

And while you're at it, explain how Iron Man, Indiana Jones and TDK could all make lots of money in spite of being released within a few weeks or months of one another in 2008. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

"Singerman was a critical hit."
I'm too lazy to check Rotten Tomatoes on that but even if it's true, movie critics tend to have a *VERY* different worldview than middle America. The fact that they allegedly loved an iconoclastic abortion like Singerman says all you need to know about their understanding of Superman. Their supposed love for the movie doesn't bolster the Apologist's case. If anything, it undermines it.

"Singerman would've been a bigger hit but people just have superhero fatigue these days."
But then 2007 happened. And 2008. And 2010. And, God knows, 2012. Apologists dropped this excuse loooooooong ago.

All that's left anymore is "you just don't get it". I wish it were so. If I didn't get it, I'd probably love the movie at least as much as any Apologist does. Oh to live in that kind of blissful ignorance. But facts and truth keep intruding and I realize (A) Singerman is a mockery of the Reeve franchise (B) it's shits all over the comic books (C) the reason it didn't make any money is because of A and B and wide audiences avoided it in droves. I DO get it, that was always the entire fucking problem!

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

My point is though, that I am seeing it more and more with other films that were either flops, or just trashed online.

And they use the. Exact. Same. Bullshit.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  non_amos on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:58 am

Since Prometheus was mentioned, isn't that film actually good? I haven't watched it yet but I don't get the impression that it's a JOHN CARTER. I don't know what it's production budget is but here's this weekend's totals from Box Office Mojo:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $88,858,000 40.9%
+ Foreign: $128,600,000 59.1%
= Worldwide: $217,458,000


It's only been in release 10 days so why are people calling it a failure? I guess I better check it out online to see what the fuss is all about. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....................

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Posts : 2305
Points : 2717
User Reputation : 250
Join date : 2010-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:08 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:My point is though, that I am seeing it more and more with other films that were either flops, or just trashed online.

And they use the. Exact. Same. Bullshit.
I think there are times when you can make that argument. For example, I think a major problem people have with the Matrix sequels is that the Wachowskis didn't abide by the various formulas set up by the first film; the people who recognize that seem to enjoy the sequels a lot more than the ones that don't.

But, to your point, it's the rare film about which that can be said... and Singerman is nowhere on the list.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I've notice the defenses over PROMETHEUS have largely been the same as SUPERMAN RETURNS. The difference however is that they're actually valid for the former. One thing that makes me happy is that everyone is discussing the many aspects of what PROMETHEUS is all about and how the themes relate, ect. All the discussions I can remember of SR is how fans excused Supes pulling off feats despite kryptonite shivs and the like. Not exactly deep discussions, just fanboy arguing.

Comparing the discussions of that film with SR's is laughable. SR never had a leg to stand on.

James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Posts : 748
Points : 835
User Reputation : 47
Join date : 2012-05-11
Age : 96
Location : The Toy Shop

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

non_amos wrote:Since Prometheus was mentioned, isn't that film actually good? I haven't watched it yet but I don't get the impression that it's a JOHN CARTER. I don't know what it's production budget is but here's this weekend's totals from Box Office Mojo:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $88,858,000 40.9%
+ Foreign: $128,600,000 59.1%
= Worldwide: $217,458,000


It's only been in release 10 days so why are people calling it a failure? I guess I better check it out online to see what the fuss is all about. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....................

I never said 'Prometheus' was a flop. I said "maligned".

And it is.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:58 pm

James Stocks wrote:I've notice the defenses over PROMETHEUS have largely been the same as SUPERMAN RETURNS.

Which is my point in it's entirety.

The difference however is that they're actually valid for the former. One thing that makes me happy is that everyone is discussing the many aspects of what PROMETHEUS is all about and how the themes relate, ect. All the discussions I can remember of SR is how fans excused Supes pulling off feats despite kryptonite shivs and the like. Not exactly deep discussions, just fanboy arguing.

I haven't seen 'Prometheus', and probably won't until it hits Blu-Ray. But I HAVE read what people have been saying, so I won't go in "blind".

Now, I like 'Sucker Punch'. I think the people that trash it are either:

A. Following along with people online because they are afraid to go against the status quo.

B. Really, truly didn't get what Snyder was trying to say, so they attack it.

C. Just didn't like it.

Having said that, do you see me saying they are "juz to stoopid 2 innerstan duh moofie n u r a ijit n u lick shit moofies instand"?

Nope. I just laugh and move on.

Comparing the discussions of that film with SR's is laughable. SR never had a leg to stand on.

You got it right, right out of the gate. Then ended-up fumbling at the 1 yard line...... Frustration

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  non_amos on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:13 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:

I never said 'Prometheus' was a flop. I said "maligned".

And it is.

Please explain this. I did a quick Google & it appears that 'malign' is like to 'speak evil of another', etc. So are you saying that people are speaking evil of PROMETHEUS without a cause? That they're just bashing it in typical fanboy fashion? Or did you mean something else entirely?

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Posts : 2305
Points : 2717
User Reputation : 250
Join date : 2010-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

non_amos wrote:Please explain this. I did a quick Google & it appears that 'malign' is like to 'speak evil of another', etc. So are you saying that people are speaking evil of PROMETHEUS without a cause? That they're just bashing it in typical fanboy fashion? Or did you mean something else entirely?

http://amplicate.com/hate/prometheus

Start there.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:07 am

Maddox wrote about it too.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=prometheus_nutshell

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  non_amos on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:29 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Maddox wrote about it too.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=prometheus_nutshell

That was an interesting read & I also read some of those comments over at the link AP posted. Look, I saw the 1st 2 ALIEN films. Not at the theater but I've seen them & loved them but I don't claim to be an expert on that mythos. I'd probably watch the film then & all these plot points & mistakes would probably just soar over my head because I wouldn't know any better. But what puzzles me though is how this is advertised as a prequel to the original Ridley Scott epic & is even directed by Ridley Scott. 'Alien' was great. So what happened here then? Has he lost his edge? I'm really gonna have to see this now.

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Posts : 2305
Points : 2717
User Reputation : 250
Join date : 2010-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Here's another example, this time about 'John Carter' (A finely made, but ultimately DULL, film):

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62114

Whovian - 6/21/2012, 9:02 AM

John Carter was an excellent film. The problem was in the marketing and the unmistakable fact that a person needs a higher IQ than a grape to fully appreciate it. My suggestion to film fans belly aching about the lack of really great movies today; quit wating your money on Adam Sandler movies and go watch great stuff lioke John Carter!

NOW do you see what I mean by "The Singerman Effect"?

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  thecolorsblend on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:NOW do you see what I mean by "The Singerman Effect"?
If I didn't before, I do now. Sheesh, throw in one or two more spelling errr0rz and replace "John Carter" with The Singer Movie Which Must Not Be Named's Proper Title and you've basically got a post that any Apologist of note could've written.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Apologist Puncher on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:34 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:If I didn't before, I do now. Sheesh, throw in one or two more spelling errr0rz and replace "John Carter" with The Singer Movie Which Must Not Be Named's Proper Title and you've basically got a post that any Apologist of note could've written.

Exactly.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Singerman Effect"

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:57 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum