Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nolan On Filming In IMAX

+2
non_amos
webhead2006
6 posters

Go down

Nolan On Filming In IMAX Empty Nolan On Filming In IMAX

Post  webhead2006 Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:49 am

Some comments from nolan on filming in imax, and his hatred of 3d:
http://m.superherohype.com/news/articles/170219-chrisopher-nolan-on-the-qoperaticq-imax-of-the-dark-knight-rises-
Christopher Nolan on the "Operatic" IMAX of The Dark Knight Rises by Silas Lesnick April 13, 2012 Share this story

On why he enjoys the 65mm format and is not a fan of 3D

With just over three months left to go before his film's release, director Christopher Nolan spoke with the Director's Guild of America, dropping some information about his technical approach to The Dark Knight Rises, particularly where his use of IMAX is concerned.

"[T]he operatic quality of 'The Dark Knight' and 'The Dark Knight Rises' felt very well suited to IMAX’s larger canvas," says Nolan. "So it’s different depending on what film you want to do... We didn’t shoot IMAX for 'Inception' because we were trying to portray the reality of dreams rather than their extraordinary nature, so we used a handheld camera and shot it in a more spontaneous way."

The full effect of the 65mm will be evident on July 20th when Nolan's final Batman film opens and shows off the international locations employed during production.

"For 'The Dark Knight Rises' we were on Wall Street with a thousand extras," he continues, "and you can see everybody’s face in the frame. In some ways, I feel it takes me back almost to the silent film era, when they had those huge cameras. Trying to do things in more of a tableau fashion, it changes the way I direct a film, it changes the way I block the camera movement because of the size of the thing. The resulting image has so much power that you don’t need to cut in the same way, you can frame the shot slightly differently, you wind up with a slightly different feel."

As big a fan as he is of the larger film format, Nolan makes no attempts to hide his distaste for 3D in cinema.

"3D is a misnomer," he laments. "Films are 3-D. The whole point of photography is that it’s three-dimensional. The thing with stereoscopic imaging is it gives each audience member an individual perspective. It’s well suited to video games and other immersive technologies, but if you're looking for an audience experience, stereoscopic is hard to embrace."

Starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Morgan Freeman, The Dark Knight Rises features a script by both Christopher Nolan and his brother, Jonathan Nolan.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : #ADMIN* Titles dude. We talked about this.)
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Nolan On Filming In IMAX Empty Re: Nolan On Filming In IMAX

Post  non_amos Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:39 am

I saw that article myself over at SHH. So Nolan doesn't like 3-D. What else is new? Nolan is still young enough you'd think he'd embrace technology but instead he acts more like a dinosaur trying to make a film. The guy barely knows how to use a computer from what I've read & he's what, 41 years old? And he wants to make these films? It's no wonder we're getting what we're getting.

Hey Nolan, how about for your next mega-millions epic, you make a SILENT FILM? Complete with piano music & word balloons every other frame? Surely that won't offend your sensibilities? Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Heck I like 3d most of the time myself. But still like I brought up in film vs digital thread. There is aspects of shooting on film and shooting ie old school ways that is appealing. Just like digital/3d. I know nolan isn't the only one out there that doesn't care for 3d or what not. The view is at least for nolan he might like shooting/doing things in one format more then another. Inherintaly I don't see that as a bad thing. Its just in the end what ever way things go, we the viewers get a good film out of what ever process folks use.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:44 pm

I want to ask this. If memory serves me correctly, didn't Zack Snyder and/or duh WB confirm that THE MAN OF STEEL would be filmed in 3-D? I'm thinking that was the intention possibly even before Snyder came on board? Anyone have any current info on that? But with duh Nolan's involvement, you have to wonder. Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:54 pm

non_amos wrote:I saw that article myself over at SHH. So Nolan doesn't like 3-D. What else is new? Nolan is still young enough you'd think he'd embrace technology but instead he acts more like a dinosaur trying to make a film. The guy barely knows how to use a computer from what I've read & he's what, 41 years old? And he wants to make these films? It's no wonder we're getting what we're getting.

Hey Nolan, how about for your next mega-millions epic, you make a SILENT FILM? Complete with piano music & word balloons every other frame? Surely that won't offend your sensibilities? Rolling Eyes
Of all the things I could criticize him for (and have), his aversion to 3D is at the bottom of the list. I fucking hate 3D. It's a waste of money, it often looks like crap and, as I already wear glasses to begin with, the 3D glasses piss me off. Apart from all that, odds are a lot of theater, staffed by emo teenagers working for minimum wage, don't have any clue how to properly work 3D projection equipment so the effect is even worse than it would be (which is saying something).

3D can fuck off and die.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:20 pm

non_amos wrote:I want to ask this. If memory serves me correctly, didn't Zack Snyder and/or duh WB confirm that THE MAN OF STEEL would be filmed in 3-D? I'm thinking that was the intention possibly even before Snyder came on board? Anyone have any current info on that? But with duh Nolan's involvement, you have to wonder. Rolling Eyes

Nope, they didn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Steel_(film)

Zack Snyder expressed reluctance for shooting the film in 3-D, due to the technical limitations of the format.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 am

1hr worth of IMAX Footage in TDKR:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170327-the-dark-knight-rises-to-feature-over-an-hour-of-imax-footage-
The Dark Knight Rises to Feature Over an Hour of IMAX Footage
by Silas Lesnick
April 22, 2012
Share this story

After wowing audiences with the IMAX portions of The Dark Knight in 2008, Christopher Nolan is back behind the 65mm lens for July 20th's The Dark Knight Rises which, The Wall Street Journal today revealed, will include over an hour of IMAX footage, making it the biggest use of the format in a Hollywood film.

Nolan, who spoke about IMAX at length in an interview last week, isn't the only director keen on the format. Last year's Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol also included scenes designed specifically for IMAX viewing while quite a few entries this summer have been designed to be shown in IMAX theaters even without having shot on 65mm. Last week it was announced that The Hunger Games will return for a week-long IMAX run before theaters switch over to the next major release, Marvel's The Avengers.

Starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Morgan Freeman, The Dark Knight Rises features a script by both Nolan and his brother, Jonathan Nolan.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Nolan comments more on film vs digital shooting and doing a 4th film:

http://hollywoodreporter.com/news/dark-knight-rises-chris-nolan-digital-335514
'Dark Knight Rises' Director Christopher Nolan Isn’t a Fan of Digital

12:01 PM PDT 6/9/2012 by Alex Ben Block

At the Produced By conference the director says he still shoots his movies on film and will continue to do so until he finds digital images to be as high quality as what he can capture on celluloid.

Culver City, California - The movie business is rapidly switching from shooting movies on film to digital but Christopher Nolan, whose third Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises opens in July, thinks it is a mistake because its not being done for quality, but rather for cost.

“There’s a huge danger in all of this,” Nolan said Saturday while being interviewed at the annual Produced By Conference, presented by the Producer’s Guild of America. “If you are looking strictly at production cost, then you would use digital. But for the best image, it is still film.”

PHOTOS: 28 of Summer's Most Anticipated Movies: 'Avengers,' 'Dark Knight,' 'Prometheus'

Nolan said he thinks film is still best because it provides the filmmaker the most range, captures the most depth of image and works best as a tool to tell a story. Nolan said that moving to digital creates a risk of “devaluing what we do as filmmakers.”

“The problem with the push to digital is its has been given a consumer aspect,” says Nolan,” who suggests it confuses the camera with an Ipad. “It’s not what is best for the film,” he insists.

While digital has made great strides, Nolan believes it has a ways to go yet before it will offer the quality to capture images that film does. “I don’t want to be the R and D department. I don’t have any interest in the research into electronics. What interests me is to use the best technology and that is film.”

Nolan says he does use digital technology in the editing process and for special effects and in other ways, but ultimately he wants his movies shot on film and shown on film. When the digital technology evolves to the point it has the same depth, image quality and look as film, he is open to shifting his view.

VIDEO: Why 'Dark Knight Rises' Star Christian Bale Choked Up at MTV Movie Awards

“When it is as good as film and it makes sense I’ll be open to it,” says Nolan. “But (at present) it’s not good enough.”

Nolan was interviewed along with his producing partner Emma Thomas in the first session on the first day of the Produced By Conference, held this year on the grounds of the Sony Pictures Studio. He was interviewed by Vance Van Petten, national executive director of the Producer’s Guild of America, in front of a packed audience – mostly of producers – on the same sound stage where the TV show Wheel of Fortune is shot.

Van Petten spent much of the interview focused on how Nolan and Thomas got their start after meeting as university students in London. They made their first film together, Following, on a budget of $6,000, with a cast and crew he says could fit into one London taxi cab. When it was one Nolan and Thomas brought it to America to get exposure at film festivals. They entered it at Sundance, but did not get in. However, one of those on the Sundance selection committee who saw it was also involved with the San Francisco film festival and brought Nolan there to show his movie.

When it was well received, Nolan and Thomas were on a path that led them to get funding for their next film Memento, which became a critical and commercial hit. In the dozen years since they have made ever bigger movies, but both insisted that they never think about the budget, even when it soars into hundreds of millions of dollars.

Nolan says he always focuses on the story and what the audience expects, not the budget. “For me the different skills of doing certain films is much more important than the large scale,” says Nolan, adding: “Doing large scale films is a matter of nerve. You get over it. ‘OK, I’m not afraid of that any more.”

That doesn’t mean Nolan and Thomas don’t have to deal with budgets and the reality of what things cost. The director says his approach is always to be clear and honest with the studio about what things are going to cost. “I look them in the eye and say ‘this is what it is going to take. I wish it was less but this is what it takes.’”

Thomas added that the main thing with big studios is not to surprise them. The secret to keeping creative control, they both said, was to make the movies on time and on budget so that there is no reason for the studio executives to interfere.

On their movies, Nolan says they do very little story boarding – only for big action sequences – very few re-takes and use no second unit. Nolan prefers to direct it all himself and says he finds second units are a hidden expense that often produces very little material that is actually usable. “I think second units are a very expensive luxury,” says Nolan.

One expense Nolan and Thomas insist on is seeing dailies every night after they finish the days shooting. Dailies are the scenes they most recently shot. “We project dailies so we know what we’ve got,” says Nolan. “It used to be an absolute requirement for my job and now for some reason it is not.”

“People see (eliminating dailies) as a way to cut costs,” adds Thomas. “But what I think is that it’s a massive help to everybody to see dailies every night. Frankly, you see what needs fixing.”

Nolan recalled working with actor Al Pacino on his first really big budget movie, Insomnia, which cost about $40 million to make. “As a director it’s very much about the creative relationship (with the actor),” says Nolan. “It’s about finding trust with each actor. Working with Pacino was a huge thing for me. As we shot I was rewriting the script for him and putting my own spin on the script.”

“People ask me ‘did he take direction?’” says Nolan. “Well, he demanded it. You had to fill that role.”

At first Nolan just wanted to write and direct but he says he soon found he had to be a producer as well to deal with all of the issues and problems that go with making a movie. For instance, when he assembles a cast he doesn’t immediately schedule his actors; but rather waits until he has them all and knows what he wants. “You have to think like a producer,” says Nolan, adding: “That is the only way you can make the puzzle all come together.”

By design, very little of the discussion dealt with the upcoming Dark Knight Rises. Nolan did say it would be his last movie in what has become a Batman trilogy. He says he never thought about doing three movies, but did everything he could to do his best on each film, and then did it again. He says that is why it takes him several years between each of the movies to start that entire creative process over again.

Nolan who writes with his brother, and has worked with many of the same crew members on all of his movies, says he just trys to make each film as good as he can. “I said to my brother I don’t want to save anything,” Nolan says of the development of each of the Batman movies.

Nolan says he did not refer to the Batman comics, and never found the origin story of the characters all in one place in any case. He focused on just telling the best story he could. If he was influenced, it was by earlier Batman movies, some of which he found fanciful. He wanted his movies to be much more grounded in a kind of reality.

“The source material is irrelevant,” says Nolan. “The challenge with Batman is to find what is a believable character. You put your stamp on it.”

Still, he was always keenly aware that Batman is an iconic figure and a “classic brand.”

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055295.html?cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews
Nolan says 'no' again to fourth Batman At PGA, helmer reiterates that he has no plans for another pic after trilogy

By DAVE MCNARY

Christopher Nolan has reiterated his promise -- there's no fourth Batman movie in his future.

With his "The Dark Knight Rises" opening July 20, Nolan joined spouse and producing partner Emma Thomas on the opening panel at the Producers Guild of America's "Produced By" conference Saturday at Sony Studios. PGA exec director Vance Van Petten asked halfway through the hourlong session if Nolan is planning another Batpic.

"No" was the answer from Nolan, who had explained that he always has envisioned his Batman story as a trilogy -- resulting in "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises."

"I don't want to hold anything back," he added.

He credited Richard Donner's "Superman" as a key inspiration in pitching "Batman Begins" to Warner Bros. brass nearly a decade ago -- rather than relying on the comic book stories.

"I explained the potential of what was exciting to me," he recalled. "There really had not been an origin story about this extraordinary figure in an ordinary world."

Nolan also emphasized that he's cognizant of the fans of the Batman franchise with helping to guide him.

"You're really working with something that belongs to the audience," he added.

The discussion covered a wide range of topics such as flexibilty in producing -- "You have to turn on a dime," Nolan said -- and a spirited defense of shooting on film rather than digitally.

"Film is most analogous to what the eye sees," Nolan said.

He added that the push for digital shooting is being generated by economics.

"The change is being forced in a consumer way," Nolan said. "It's not about what is going to give me the best images."
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:19 pm

“The source material is irrelevant,” says Nolan.

HEY NOLAN Nolan On Filming In IMAX 619504-the_avengers_team_image_600x337

$1,370,807,000 and counting. Excited
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Superman wrote:“The source material is irrelevant,” says Nolan.

HEY NOLAN Nolan On Filming In IMAX 619504-the_avengers_team_image_600x337

$1,370,807,000 and counting. Excited

Hey Nolan!

Nolan On Filming In IMAX Bite_m10
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

The guy is just full of himself, and the Nolanites are out "in force" trying to excuse what he said.

Nolan On Filming In IMAX 7104246285_e82611ebf9_z
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Chris Nolan wrote:"The source material is irrelevant,"
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Duh almighty Nolan stated:

He credited Richard Donner's "Superman" as a key inspiration in pitching "Batman Begins" to Warner Bros. brass nearly a decade ago -- rather than relying on the comic book stories.

"I explained the potential of what was exciting to me," he recalled. "There really had not been an origin story about this extraordinary figure in an ordinary world."

Does this have a familiar ring to it? Remember Bryan Singerman, who idolized Donner? And was not a comic book fan? So he tries to pitch his 'love letter to Donner' & look what we got!

To be fair though, BATMAN BEGINS is a superior film to Singerman, even if duh Nolan was also influenced by duh Donner. But do you not see the parallels here? Disregard the source material & go do your own thing! And there's that 'real world' crapola again. I guess Batman just as well be punching a time clock & going home & complaining to his wife about the crappy day he just had at work. Got to bed, get up & do the same thing all over again until the weekend. That's real world! As for comics films? Leave that stuff at the workplace but not in these films. I guess before it's over with Superman won't even be from Krypton. Why? Because he's an alien. Get real here dude! Aliens?! Gimme a break! Not, he'll turn out to be a 'meta-human' or mutant or something due to 'genetic engineering' or something. That is, if Nolan continues to be involved in it. Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:54 pm

This is an oft overlooked aspect of STM. An inconvenient as some dipshit once said. But basically, Donner and Mankeywhatsis intentionally didn't look to the comics. I forget the exact quote but it was some analogy about flying to Hawaii. "You're already committed to doing it so if you run out of gas over the Pacific... you're basically fucked." Now, obviously it worked out, likely because Donner remembered to adapt the mythos, the LEGEND... but let's not overlook the fact that he intentionally left the comics behind.

Of course, the difference is that Nolan and Singer seemed to go out of their way to repudiate the comics, which Donner, even at his "worst", never even considered.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:04 am

That bolded comment is a big reason why nolan doesn't get dc characters right totally. Sure you can take some liberities with characters/events. But you you don't take key elements that is what fans like/know best from characters of the books they read/love what's the point in doing a film on said character. If you strip away everything that makes them them.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 am

Well, he certainly won't win any purists hearts over that. If he had been directing Bond and said that, the folks at the Bond forum I visit would want his head. It's not surprising I suppose, this is the last Batman film for him so by this point he's just cashing in his chips.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down