SOPA/PIPA acts

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SOPA/PIPA acts

Post  webhead2006 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Well as many know the web been a blaze with news on these acts going to senate/congress. What's yours views/thoughts on this. For me from what little I read about them. I hope they don't pass as is. Would totally screw with our freedoms of internet use in usa and would turn us like china where government blockks what ever they please. If they happen I hope they get massive changes so it just stops the privacy stuff like the torrent sites and other illegal sites.. but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: SOPA/PIPA acts

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:09 pm

It would appear that Eric Cantor has already made his move to take out SOPA.

http://www.examiner.com/computers-in-denver/house-kills-sopa

This apparently leaves PIPA on the table. But luckily Our Kenyan Import of a President has already vowed to veto PIPA.

Honestly, the whole thing smells like political jockeying. Everybody knows this thing will fail but this will permit Senators on the take to honestly claim to their corporate masters that they TRIED to give them borderline tyrannical control over the Internet and, because of our system of checks and balances Washington selectively employs, their "best efforts" were stymied.

It's not like I've got a crystal ball but that's how I see this playing out.

EDIT- "Eric Cantor"? Oh no, I'm not a dumbass or anything. Eric HOLDER. Geeze...

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Well just to make sure that there are no blockage on any internet site I decided to do my part and just leave messages to my state Representatives/Senators informing them that I'm protesting against the SOPA and the PIPA for blocking targeted internet sites which I already done by phone & online.
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Well just to make sure that there are no blockage on any internet site I decided to do my part and just leave messages to my state Representatives/Senators informing them that I'm protesting against the SOPA and the PIPA for blocking targeted internet sites which I already done by phone & online.
If you're not sending a fax, you're wasting your time. I do lobbying as part of my job. I'm here to tell you that Senators and Reps can ignore phone calls, e-mails and all that other bullshit as the day is long. But SOMEbody has to do SOMEthing with a fax, even if it's just throw it away.

Sooner or later (sooner, I think), they'll comply just to get everyone to STFU and leave them alone already.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm

For those of you thinking otherwise, this is NOT about stopping "pirating". Never has been.

It's allowing the government to control how, and more importantly WHAT, information is obtained.

Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:For those of you thinking otherwise, this is NOT about stopping "pirating". Never has been.

It's allowing the government to control how, and more importantly WHAT, information is obtained.

You mean like in RED CHINA? Didn't Google pull out of there due to their policies? Or threatened to anyway. It can make you wonder how there even is an Internet in a place like China. Just envision an Internet under say, Adolph Hitler. 'Der Fuhrer' would have to be idolized on every site. Duh masses would have to goose-step that would even make duh apologists envy.

But in America? What a load of bull that is! I remember back in the 90's the FDA wanted to regulate nutritional supplements like they did drugs so they could 'police' it. This Internet situation sounds like shades of the same thing. And poor old Lars Ulrich is getting blamed again on some sites! I'm surprised Gene Simmons hasn't been vocal in this. I mean, he's losing money left & right, right?

You tell me. I regularly go to any number of both music and movie sites. You can watch free movies galore. You can even download them in some cases, especially if you have DiVX and/or RealPlayer. There's free album sites too. Just click on the link & voila'! And you know as well as I do that the entertainment industry has to be aware of these sites? But when I checked while ago they're still there. So if these sites are so illegal, why are they allowed to exist forever & a day?
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 am

Exactly right, non_amos.

30 years ago, these same asshole's were trying to claim the VCR was going to "ruin" the entertainment industry. Now, it's those evil, eeevvvviiillll "pirates". But answer this: When a friend buys a DVD of a movie you have never seen, and let's you borrow it, are you "stealing" that movie?

Think about it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 am

non_amos wrote:But in America? What a load of bull that is! I remember back in the 90's the FDA wanted to regulate nutritional supplements like they did drugs so they could 'police' it. This Internet situation sounds like shades of the same thing. And poor old Lars Ulrich is getting blamed again on some sites! I'm surprised Gene Simmons hasn't been vocal in this. I mean, he's losing money left & right, right?

You tell me. I regularly go to any number of both music and movie sites. You can watch free movies galore. You can even download them in some cases, especially if you have DiVX and/or RealPlayer. There's free album sites too. Just click on the link & voila'! And you know as well as I do that the entertainment industry has to be aware of these sites? But when I checked while ago they're still there. So if these sites are so illegal, why are they allowed to exist forever & a day?
In the digital age, there's no way to perfectly secure entertainment content. It's given consumers a degree of control and input on their media that has never existed before.

I used to be a big Pearl Jam. I even mostly stuck by them when they started going down hill (which, in my opinion, began circa 2002 or so). But they were dead to me when they did VH-1 Storytellers where Eddie "Sony Music" Vedder told people of my political persuasion to basically fuck off, he doesn't care about having that kind of fan among his fanbase. He then decided to pussy out and tried to rein it back in and soft-peddle his original answer. Sorry, douchenuts, the damage is done. Henceforth, if I must have some new Pearl Jam release (and seriously, what are the odds of that?) I'm going to pirate the fucker. They're not getting another damned dime out of me.

But for the Internet, I probably wouldn't have even been aware of that VH-1 Storytellers episodes (I'm not a VH-1 guy most of the time; hell, I'm not really a TV guy in most cases) and it would've gone right by me. Not anymore. It's out there now, fuckers. And I have a VERY long memory.

Ultimately, things like YouTube, Mega Upload and whatnot can't be easily defeated and so they should instead be co-opted when possible, ignored when not. You can't fight this thing and you'll only come off like a grinch if you try. Want more money? Make better fucking content, asswipes!

And there is a sense in which this can be traced back to Lars Ulrich. Someone else might've become the anti-piracy poster boy but he's the guy who has the title. He's another member of my "not another damn dime" campaign, incidentally.

Lastly, because I'm running off at the mouth here, this "piracy" shit really annoys me. "Piracy" is what you call it when someone financially profits off someone else's property. That's not what happens in most file-sharing communities. I'm not sure what exactly which precise copyright infringement file-sharing falls under but it for damned sure can't be piracy since real money isn't in play here.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:46 am

the colorsblend wrote:

And there is a sense in which this can be traced back to Lars Ulrich. Someone else might've become the anti-piracy poster boy but he's the guy who has the title. He's another member of my "not another damn dime" campaign, incidentally.

I think it's kind of ironic but when Lars was on 'That Metal Show' on VH1 Classic a while back, he admitted to pirating DEATH MAGNETIC the night before it was released in 2008, just to see if he could do it basically. This was the last real album that Metallica came out with. You can disregard the Lou Reed collaboration. Anyway, Death Magnetic is an awesome album along the lines of the 'black' album. At least give it a listen even if you don't give Lars your money. But here we have the 'poster boy' for anti-downloading quote, unqoute, doing an 'illegal download'. Just to see if he could do it. And thinking it was funny too. In the words of Alanis Morrisette, isn't it ironic?
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Ya for what the internet is it shouldn't be controled like a police state. Its an open system. Only thing that should be protected is for against cyber attacks, and to enforce more on the pirating. But when you close one of those sites, five more come up later.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:29 pm

http://loudwire.com/sopa-pipa-voting-postponed-rockers-share-mixed-feelings/

SOPA and PIPA Vote on Hold as Rockers Offer Mixed Feelings on the Bills
by: Graham "Gruhamed" Hartmann 2 hours ago

Big news for the entire entertainment world – government voting on the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA) have both been postponed and possibly dropped after an overwhelming amount of online protesting. Among the most vocal opponents of the bill were hard rock and metal musicians including Lamb of God‘s Randy Blythe, Trivium‘s Matt Heafy and Disturbed‘s David Draiman.

SOPA and PIPA caused tremendous outrage within the online community, with the fear that some of the Internet’s most popular and resourceful sites could be taken down without notice. Websites such as Wikipedia, Reddit and thousands more famously blacked out their service on Jan. 18 to protest and educate the world regarding the proposed bill. It seems, at least for now, that the tactics have succeeded.

“Would I like to live comfortably in a nice house as an indentured servant or would I like to live in the ghetto as a free man? I’ll take the ghetto any day.” Lamb of God frontman Randy Blythe commented regarding SOPA.

Trivium mastermind Matt Heafy also shared his opinions via his personal blog. “We all still need to make “a living” to stay living,” wrote Heafy. “But a movement like SOPA? That will cripple and kill a big part off of this free country we all live and love in.”

Disturbed frontman David Draiman has been going ALL CAPS about the bills on his Twitter page. “I am against SOPA and PIPA because they limit people’s freedom of expression and freedom of speech, not because they are trying to protect the rights of artists everywhere,” tweeted Draiman.

On the other hand, certain musicians were in full support of the bill, including former Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan. “When I turned to the Twitter and Facebook, I saw an overwhelming dog pile of support against the bills,” McKagan wrote on his Seattle Weekly blog. “Excuse me, but where were you all when piracy started to decimate the music industry? Why didn’t you take a stand against that? Those free records felt good, huh?”

DevilDriver frontman Dez Fafara reacted positively to SOPA and PIPA on his Twitter page, also sharing his support for the recent federal takedown of content-hosting site, MegaUpload. “Feds shut down “MEGA-UPLOAD” ! Good ! Shut down all sites pirating COPYWRITTEN material ! F— your PC view ! It’s illegal & it’s killing underground art-taking the food from my kids mouths & putting thousands who create distribute and perpetuate art out of business.”

What do you think of SOPA, PIPA and the reactions from these musicians? Share your first amendment rights in the comments section below.

Notice the comments from Duff McKagan in bold. And it seems the feds have taken down MegaUpload just like this article states. I tried to go there & it wouldn't load so I tried again & I got this pic:

So what does this all mean exactly? The 'vote' has been delayed or even dropped due to sheer online outrage but they still take down MegaUpload?! Why pick on them? I mean, they're only one of many such sites. When I look for these films for example, I continue to see sites I've never even heard of! Plus the old reliables. So if the vote didn't work, why pick on them?!
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:29 am

My understanding was that the MegaUpload thing happened independently of SOPA and PIPA. Our Beloved Executive was already on the record saying he'd veto SOPA and PIPA so they're no real threat. It would therefore be illogical to direct Holder and the DOJ to go after MegaUpload as an accessory of either of those acts.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:36 am

Well nice to see the bills are on hold. As for megaupload colors is right they where taken down independently from those acts. Just like simular sites like they have been in the past. I did read I did go back up. But under a http:// and a bunch of numbers. So not a true domain/address name.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 am

Web, couldn't find what you're talking about. Supposedly something did come back up but I think it's gone now?
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Yea it was just a http:// with some numbers address for them but ya I don't know what's up right now. I hate they are gone. I liked megavideo to view some things, and I was in middle of a thing too and now have to find it other ways..
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:28 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Yea it was just a http:// with some numbers address for them but ya I don't know what's up right now. I hate they are gone. I liked megavideo to view some things, and I was in middle of a thing too and now have to find it other ways..
There's always bittor rent.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 pm

This is going to come back around in a few years, when our Government thinks us "brainless sheep" have forgotten what all the "hoopla" was about.

People need to stay vigilant.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Yea it was just a http:// with some numbers address for them but ya I don't know what's up right now. I hate they are gone. I liked megavideo to view some things, and I was in middle of a thing too and now have to find it other ways..
There's always bittor rent.

I know maybe I don't need to give links here on the forum but maybe I could in a PM? Anyway, I'm not really familiar with all that 'bit torrent' stuff. I've looked at that before but bypass it for at least a couple of reasons. For one, if I'm looking a film, it may be divided into as many as 8 or more different parts. I generally don't have the patience for all of that. Even concerts I find done like this, probably even TV shows. Another reason I don't trust it is at least some of these sites want you to sign up for some membership, agree to something, pay for something, whatever. When you're trying to find said film for example, it may send you to a third party, another link, another window opens, whatever. So I give them the axe.

What I do, unless I googled or something, is I go to specific sites that I've found out about over the last few years. Most of them are movie sites but more recently I've found some music sites. They're actually like a 'dot.com' something, a main site, but they'll have a veritable slew of films and/or music. You see something you like, click on it, but then the film or music is actually opened up by, say, MegaUpload as an example. Believe me, they're like Legion; they're just 'one among many'. Which is one reason I find what went on with MegaUpload so frustrating. It's like they were made the scapegoat. Anyway, said 'provider' opens the file & you download, unless you're just 'streaming', in which case you simply watch the movie but still for free. Anyway, that just a '2 cents worth' on the matter I guess.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 pm

non_amos wrote:I know maybe I don't need to give links here on the forum but maybe I could in a PM? Anyway, I'm not really familiar with all that 'bit torrent' stuff. I've looked at that before but bypass it for at least a couple of reasons. For one, if I'm looking a film, it may be divided into as many as 8 or more different parts. I generally don't have the patience for all of that. Even concerts I find done like this, probably even TV shows. Another reason I don't trust it is at least some of these sites want you to sign up for some membership, agree to something, pay for something, whatever. When you're trying to find said film for example, it may send you to a third party, another link, another window opens, whatever. So I give them the axe.

What I do, unless I googled or something, is I go to specific sites that I've found out about over the last few years. Most of them are movie sites but more recently I've found some music sites. They're actually like a 'dot.com' something, a main site, but they'll have a veritable slew of films and/or music. You see something you like, click on it, but then the film or music is actually opened up by, say, MegaUpload as an example. Believe me, they're like Legion; they're just 'one among many'. Which is one reason I find what went on with MegaUpload so frustrating. It's like they were made the scapegoat. Anyway, said 'provider' opens the file & you download, unless you're just 'streaming', in which case you simply watch the movie but still for free. Anyway, that just a '2 cents worth' on the matter I guess.

I think we should keep this talk relegated to the chat box, or PM's. For your, and others safety.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:10 am

Ya if you want to talk on the pm on bit torrent/or the link I was wmentioning just drop me a message.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:12 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/24/megaupload-founder-denied-bail-as-us-seeks-extradition/?test=latestnews

Megaupload founder denied bail as US seeks extradition
Published January 24, 2012
| Associated Press

Reuters/TVNZ via Reuters TV

Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom appears in Auckland's North Shore District Court after his arrest in this still image taken from a January 20, 2012 video.
Kim Dotcom, founder of the file-sharing website Megaupload, has been denied bail in New Zealand as authorities in the U.S. seek his extradition.

Police last week arrested Dotcom and three Megaupload employees on U.S. accusations they facilitated millions of illegal downloads of films, music and other content, costing copyright holders at least $500 million in lost revenue.

On Tuesday, Dutch police arrested Andrus Nomm, 32, a citizen of Estonia and a resident of both Turkey and Estonia, making him the fifth person to be arrested in the file-sharing case.

The first extradition hearing is scheduled for Feb. 22 in a process that could last a year or more.
Dotcom, 38, insists he is innocent and poses no flight risk.

At an Auckland courtroom Wednesday, Judge David McNaughton did not reveal the reasons behind his decision to deny Dotcom bail. The judge is expected to make bail rulings on Dotcom's three colleagues later this week or early next week.

The large text is not only fucking ridiculous, but a motherfuckin' LIE too.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

1) Is 'Dotcom' his real name? I doubt it & 2) he's denied bail for the likes of file-sharing? Not murder or rape but friggin' file-sharing?! Gimme a break! What kind of justice is this?! And ya know, I remember those celebrities in the past weeks coming out in support of MegaUpload including Alicia Keyes if I'm not mistaken. Now, duhhhh! Is she not a celebrity who should be concerned about losing money due to copyright infringement? As well as the others? So how do they come off with this $500M figure?

I found this article earlier from someone who sounds like he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/seo/the-death-of-online-piracy-the-end-of-the-internet-as-we-know-it/4503?tag=nl.e539

The death of online piracy: the end of the Internet as we know it
By Stephen Chapman | January 23, 2012, 8:58pm PST

Summary: Piracy finds its way into just about every legitimate avenue on the Internet. As such, the death of online piracy via shutting down otherwise legitimate sites and services could mean the end of the Internet as we know it.

The death of online piracy: the U.S. government wants it and copyright holders want it, but at what cost? As we’ve seen from SOPA and PIPA, the government would be willing to completely cripple the Internet to see to the death of online piracy; and now, the shuttering of MegaUpload by the U.S. government (as a result of pressure from copyright holders) has caused waves in the file-sharing business; a business that — amongst perfectly legal profits — is rife with HUGE profits that come as a direct result of the sharing of pirated content. Yes, the death of online piracy as we currently know it is going to happen at some point; but to severely cripple (never mind completely obliterate) online piracy would come at the cost of the current freedoms the Internet enjoys — be it from an end-user perspective, a service provider perspective, or both.

You see, I am more fascinated with piracy than most. It’s a topic that has captivated me for many years and the debates sparked on the subject are absolutely riveting when intelligible people opinionate from either side. Plus, my security consulting endeavors and Google hacking escapades have opened my eyes to more avenues of piracy than are readily apparent to most. As such, to effectively end online piracy, I see that FAR more will have to be done than simply shutting down file-sharing sites. I fear that the most significant changes will be brought forth by legislation, and it WILL happen one day if the piracy war continues as it has thus far.

To give you a small and scary sampling of what obliterating online piracy might mean for the Internet, I present the following points for your consideration:

1 - File-sharing site censorship: Put simply, a complete restructuring and lock-down of file-sharing sites would have to occur for them to even exist. And though it could work just fine in theory, it couldn’t work without handing over a certain amount of freedom and convenience. Every file uploaded to a file-sharing site would have to somehow be guaranteed to either not be copyrighted, or the uploader would have to provide credentials which, under certain guidelines/legislation, show that they can share what they’re sharing — most likely with an intended number of receivers who might also have to provide proper access credentials. As it currently stands, it’s FAR too easy to fly in under the radar of current file-sharing sites that try to auto-detect copyrighted files. Gone would be the days of file-name obfuscation and password-protected 7-zip files.

Ultimately, even if file-sharing sites weren’t as locked down as this scenario suggests, it’s quite clear that the DMCA system is broken. Yes, even sites like Rapidshare and Hotfile — who react promptly to DMCA requests — are still slam-PACKED with copyrighted files that are being furiously downloaded this very second by paying members who can afford $10 a month for a super-fast and convenient way to download copious amounts of copyrighted movies, music, games, and more.

2 - Government-mandated deep packet inspection: Though it wouldn’t matter where you downloaded from, deep packet inspection would massively reduce piracy from torrents, P2P, newsgroups, IRC, and everywhere else. Naturally, it would be easy to circumnavigate this type of thing with a combination of file-name obfuscation (changing the name of a file to something unrelated) and password-protected compressed files, but that simply brings us to the next point…

3 - Tiered Internet access and data plans: Do you have a cell phone with a data plan? Imagine if you had to follow a similar plan with your home ISP. Even worse, what if ALL Internet access was bound by a pay-as-you-go plan? That may sound ridiculous, but after some of the generalizations suggested in SOPA and PIPA, it sounds about par for the course! I could also see an Internet restricted by a type of certification process, whereby a Web site must undergo an inspection to be allowed onto the “freely accessible” Internet — a tier that you could access without getting charged. And if a site that was allowed access failed to abide by the rules after being approved, then the site would be removed and the owner (and possibly even the hosting company) would be severely reprimanded. Again, this all may sound ridiculous, but I’m shooting for some worst-case scenario stuff here to spark debate.

4 - Search engine censorship: If you want to see to the death of online piracy, then you must also consider nixing all the paths that lead one to pirated content. Yes, that means Google, Bing, and every other type of search engine would have to be censored and severely crippled so as to not return results leading one to downloadable copyrighted content they don’t intend on paying for. For someone like me who is absolutely in love with search, I can’t imagine a worse fate than this since it would surely mean severely lacking search results on some level.

Does that all sound crazy to you? Some of it does to me, but I have no doubt that all of the above has been brought to the table as a serious consideration by copyright holders and/or the government at some point. The reason I have no doubt about that is primarily due to China. Just have a look at the details of Internet censorship in the People’s Republic of China and marinate on all of that for a bit.

Now, why am I even bothering to write an article about this? What’s the point? Well, my point is to show that an Internet without at least some amount of piracy is an Internet that lacks some portion of the freedom it currently enjoys: the more piracy is obliterated, the more locked-down the Internet will become. Or so that’s how I see it, at least. The fight against piracy is a full-on war in the eyes of copyright holders, and in war, there are always casualties. Unfortunately, I think the casualties would come in the form of Internet freedom.

And now that I have you feeling like the world as you know it is going to end (it is 2012, after all… *wink, wink* *nudge, nudge*), there is a scenario that very well might play out which I would love to see happen: the influential seats of government and big money corporations being turned over to intelligible, competent Internet lovers who can come to reasonable/logical conclusions. I’m talking about people who use Reddit, understand what a meme is, make usage of Google’s advanced search operators, and — most importantly — know when legislation is presented that seeks to censor or threaten the freedom of the Internet. Hopefully, this would happen long before the Internet was stripped of said freedom.

So, am I saying that online piracy is necessary? Well, no, but if the Internet is to remain free, then accepting that piracy is going to *always* happen in *some* part is something that’s going to have to be done by copyright holders who are seeking legislation as an action to prevent it.

To close, I’d like to note that I understand there are PLENTY of loopholes present and counterpoints to be made to much of what I’ve said above, but it would take a novel to accurately portray the entirety of my opinions and observations on this matter. Not only that, but statistically speaking, only a fraction of you have read this far anyway (this article is just shy of 1500 words — a miracle for most to read through these days) — and besides, I want to see what you all think based on what I’ve said thus far. I want to see some REAL discussion happen on this matter. Also, I understand that the Internet is a global network and not all of the points listed above pertain to all governments, but the battle of piracy extends well beyond the borders of the U.S. government, so discussion is relevant on the topic no matter where you’re reading from.

And now, I turn it over to you! Do you even care about piracy or think that it has the power to cripple the Internet? If you do care about the topic of piracy, then what suggestions would you like to offer that you think would make a difference to those seeking to collect from its supposed damages? Get crazy in the comments below!

Some of his text is highlighted at the link to click on for other info. Sounds like he has some valid points. It sounds like, even from other sources, that the Internet actually needs online piracy to some degree or else we get this Red China version of it. And I don't think anyone wants that. But if these dudes want to pull a 'Lars Ulrich' then they do so at their own risk, i.e., further alienating fans. It could be like a double-edged sword.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 am

Fox News wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/24/megaupload-founder-denied-bail-as-us-seeks-extradition/?test=latestnews

Police last week arrested Dotcom and three Megaupload employees on U.S. accusations they facilitated millions of illegal downloads of films, music and other content, costing copyright holders at least $500 million in lost revenue.
Apologist Puncher wrote:The large text is not only fucking ridiculous, but a motherfuckin' LIE too.
Seriously, how is that even measurable? There's an entire group of vampires and leeches out there that simply want free stuff; if they can't get it for free, they simply won't get it. They won't pay money for it either way so it's not "lost revenue". You can't lose what you never had in the first place. People determined to mooch and take a bunch of free bullshit won't part with their cash on anything except pain of death... if even then. They're not to be used as case studies for these types of debates.

But let's say that it's true. What did MegaUpload contribute in terms of additional revenues? At the end of the day, my firm suspicion is that a lot of people eventually paid money for the stuff they downloaded. People at my comics shop regularly say they often preview new comics by downloading a couple of issues before investing in the series. But if they like what they read, they buy the comic, if for no other reason than they say it's a hassle to download bunches of new comics every freakin week. It's a lot easier for most of them to go to comic book stores and pick up their stuff there; no fuss, no muss.

To my understanding, MegaUpload was a major hub of scanned comic distribution, not to mention videos, albums and who the hell knows what else. I can't convince myself they hit anybody's bottom line so hard that the additional revenues didn't immediately make up for it.

Big Media is once again proving it's stuck in the brick & mortar/retail model of content distribution rather than embracing the future. I'm all for protecting intellectual property, copyrights and all that, but this is going WAY too far.

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:30 am

non_amos wrote:1) Is 'Dotcom' his real name? I doubt it & 2) he's denied bail for the likes of file-sharing? Not murder or rape but friggin' file-sharing?! Gimme a break! What kind of justice is this?!
No joke! NO FUCKING JOKE!! Very good point there!

non_amos wrote:And ya know, I remember those celebrities in the past weeks coming out in support of MegaUpload including Alicia Keyes if I'm not mistaken. Now, duhhhh! Is she not a celebrity who should be concerned about losing money due to copyright infringement?
And that's the other part of the deal right there. Seriously, wtf does she or any recording artist care about downloads? She makes her nut off TV appearances, tours and that stuff. In terms of her income, CD sales are probably the least of her business. Of course she's going to speak up for this because it theoretically translates to ticket sales... so who cares about CD sales? Why cry over a lost $0.16 when you're theoretically gaining $50? It's retarded. And queer.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:45 am

thecolorsblend wrote:

But let's say that it's true. What did MegaUpload contribute in terms of additional revenues? At the end of the day, my firm suspicion is that a lot of people eventually paid money for the stuff they downloaded.

I find this to be true myself. Say I've downloaded umpteen albums. Some are bands I care about & already know about, others I may have never heard of. But here's the kicker. If the album is really good, I mean like, you literally 'play it every day' good, then I actually want to go buy the real thing. Now, due to income that doesn't always happen but sometimes it does happen. I might even buy the sucker new if I'm in Walmart, Target or Best Buy & the price is reasonable like those specials they run. OTOH, if the band and/or album sucks, then I feel no desire to buy it or even wear it out listening to it. So actually, these 'free downloads' can actually be like a form of advertising if you really think about it. I'd dare say the same principle can apply to films as well because even if you saw it online, if you happen to be at one of said stores & the Blu-Ray is on sale, then what's gonna happen? You're gonna buy it of course. However, if the film sucked online, you feel no obligation to waste money on it.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum