Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burton Batman Films ('Batman' & 'Batman Returns')

+2
non_amos
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Burton Batman Films ('Batman' & 'Batman Returns') - Page 2 Empty Re: Burton Batman Films ('Batman' & 'Batman Returns')

Post  James Stocks Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:26 am

The bomb gag actually happens in the middle of the flick. However, at the very beginning he does this rather elaborate trick...

James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Burton Batman Films ('Batman' & 'Batman Returns') - Page 2 Empty Re: Burton Batman Films ('Batman' & 'Batman Returns')

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Even though, at the BEGINNING OF THE FILM NO LESS, he changed personalities from the first film? Really?
Batman in B89 doesn't get lethal until after he realizes the Joker killed his parents. Sure, there are rumors and stories about Batman but it's all second or third hand, nothing substantial.

Intentionally or not, I think there's a character going there... and you could even go so far as Batman Forever resolves it. But from the above moment in B89, he's lethal. By the time of BR, he's basically desensitized to taking life... and maybe gets a thrill out of it sometimes. By the time he realizes Selina (A) is Catwoman and (B) is dead serious about putting Shreck down for good, he sees himself in her... including his blood lust... hence his insistence that Max go to jail rather than snapping his neck and running off with Selina. He not only recognizes his own transformation, he sees Selina going through the same thing. Saving her means stepping back from it himself.

The above aside, I could No Prize the above by saying the majority of kills in both movies are either self-defense or else possibly not even kills anyway (the fire-breather Batman lights up at the beginning of BR could easily have survived).

All those things aside, I'm obviously cool with a Batman who kills so this really isn't much of a problem for me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 am

It's Burton adopting that "Batman is just as crazy as the bad guys" interpretation, it's a theme he loves to toy with but doesn't quite give it its due or he just intentionally leaves it vague enough to give it some sort of mystique. It sort of carries over in FOREVER (which he produced) but it's given more of a payoff with Batman becoming more heroic and leaving that dark side behind.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:55 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Batman in B89 doesn't get lethal until after he realizes the Joker killed his parents. Sure, there are rumors and stories about Batman but it's all second or third hand, nothing substantial.

As you already pointed out, remember the "Johnny Gobbs" story those thief's talked about? Seemed pretty specific to be a "rumor" or "story".

The above aside, I could No Prize the above by saying the majority of kills in both movies are either self-defense or else possibly not even kills anyway (the fire-breather Batman lights up at the beginning of BR could easily have survived).

All those things aside, I'm obviously cool with a Batman who kills so this really isn't much of a problem for me.

Bull Hurley's death was NOT in self-defense. Batman sought it out, and found it. How about him "killing" Catwoman? What happened didn't call for lethal force. And the Penguin? Did Batman REALLY need to have him "shock & awed" to death?

The blood-lust Batman had in 'Returns' was just too much, even to a young teenager. Still is to me today.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2