Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director

2 posters

Go down

Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director Empty Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 am

I used to read 'Wizard' pretty regularly a few years ago. Pretty sad to see it's current state-of-affairs...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/03/gareb-shamus-resigns-as-wizard-world-president-ceo-and-director/

Gareb Shamus Resigns As Wizard World President, CEO And Director
Submitted by Rich Johnston on December 3, 2011 – 10:16 am

Did you wonder why Gareb Shamus’ Wizard World blog, set up ostensibly to replace the Wizard World digital magazine, recently disappeared?

This might be a reason.

Pursuant to a letter of resignation dated December 1, 2011 (the “Resignation Letter”), Mr. Gareb Shamus resigned his positions as President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of the Company. Mr. Michael Mathews, Chairman, will serve as the Company’s Interim Executive Chairman and oversee the Company’s day to day operations until the Board of Directors (the “Board”) has identified a new Chief Executive Officer. The Board will immediately commence the search for a new Chief Executive Officer and anticipates completing its search no later than January 15, 2012. Mr. Shamus’ resignation is not the result of any disagreement with the Company on any matter relating to the Company’s operations, policies or practices.

Goodness gracious. Here is that letter.

December 1, 2011
Board of Directors
Wizard World, Inc.
Gentlemen:
I hereby resign my positions as President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of Wizard World, Inc. (the “Company”) effective immediately. The resignation is not the result of any disagreement with the Company on any matter relating to the Company’s operations, policies or practices.
Sincerely,
Gareb Shamus

I was discussing with another how the taint in the Wizard brand in relation to the comics industry as a whole could be removed. This is pretty much what they suggested. When Gareb has chosen to speak to me, I’ve always found him generous, keen, interesting and a pleasure to talk with. But I know others have had different experiences. Anyway, I wish Gareb the best of luck with his many continuing projects, both within and without Wizard. After all, he must still owns a large chunk of the company. So I leave you with the way we’ll always remember him.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director Empty Re: Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:48 pm

I never minded the fanzine aspect of Wizard. However, the constant, unjustified hyping of stuff, particularly Image and Valiant stuff in the 90's, helped almost wreck the industry. Shamus arguably bears more blame for that than just about anybody else.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director Empty Re: Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 am

I have a feeling he "resigned" so he can sell his majority share of the company for a BIG payday.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I have a feeling he "resigned" so he can sell his majority share of the company for a BIG payday.
That'd be my move, actually. I'd have done it years ago. I'd have sold out so fast you'd barely even remember I was ever there.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 am

Apparently Shamus didn't like a cartoon mocking him on the interwebz, went to the artists employer trying to get him fired:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/05/gareb-shamus-accused-of-trying-to-get-artist-fired-from-their-day-job/

Gareb Shamus Accused Of Trying To Get Artist Fired From Their Day Job
Submitted by Rich Johnston on December 5, 2011 – 8:00 am

The Gutters is a weekly web comic written by Ryan Sohmer and a gang of artists that satirises the comic book industry. Two weeks ago, they took a pot shot at Gareb Shamus, now ex-President and CEO of Wizard World. With a strip that is… no longer online, not in its original form at least.

Because, according to Sohmer, Gareb went to the artist’s place of employ – a well known boys toys brand – and tried to get the artist fired as a result of the strip.

Ryan doesn’t name Gareb by name. But he makes it very clear indeed.

“Should you find yourself the subject matter of a Gutters page, and take offense to it, don’t go after my artists. Should you be so offended that you attempt to get someone fired from their day job, don’t be a coward.

“Come after me.

“My e-mail is Sohmer@blindferret.com, I will gladly provide you with my contact information, as well as that of our legal department.

“I take sole responsibility for every comic and news post on this site.”

Ryan seems to have no such correspondence. He has removed the original strip, and… replaced it with exactly the same strip, redrawn by Lar Desouza.
Gareb Shamus Resigns As 'Wizard World' President, CEO & Director Gutters

The original strip:

Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down