IT'S A WRAP!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: IT'S A WRAP!

Post  James Stocks on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Folks, I think you need to re-read his comments.

He's talking about shooting a major battle in IMAX. 4:3 aspect ratio is what he means when he's harkening back to the silent era, and it's not everyday you get to see a big budget film depicting a major battle in that kind of format. Hence why he says it'll be the biggest, because it literally will be. 4:3 format in theaters hasn't been conventionally used since the mid 50s when Cinemascope/VistaVision/Panavision started taking over the industry and made 4:3 a rarity.

Having been to several IMAX screenings over the years, I can see what he's talking about.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Stockslivevan wrote:Folks, I think you need to re-read his comments.

He's talking about shooting a major battle in IMAX. 4:3 aspect ratio is what he means when he's harkening back to the silent era, and it's not everyday you get to see a big budget film depicting a major battle in that kind of format. Hence why he says it'll be the biggest, because it literally will be. 4:3 format in theaters hasn't been conventionally used since the mid 50s when Cinemascope/VistaVision/Panavision started taking over the industry and made 4:3 a rarity.

Having been to several IMAX screenings over the years, I can see what he's talking about.

I don't know about all of that or even understand it or claim to understand. I just know how it sounded & my first reaction is that Nolan, in his own mind, 'has arrived'. A legend in his own mind, if you will. At least that's how I took it. I'm sure others did too. If he's talking about technical aspects, how are we supposed to know that?
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:34 pm

This quote of his:

It’s all about historical epics in conception. It’s a war film. It’s a revolutionary epic. It’s looking back to the grand-scale epics of the past, really, and for me that goes as far back as silent films. I’ve been watching a lot of silent films with my kids on Blu-ray. We’ve shot over a third of the movie on the IMAX format, and that naturally puts you more in the mode of staging very large events for the camera. (…) There’s an attempt to visualise certain things in this film on this large scale that are troubling and genuinely to the idea of an American city. Or, to put it another way: revolutions and the destabilising of society have happened everywhere in the world, so why not here?
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 am

Kook Nolan wrote:revolutions and the destabilising of society have happened everywhere in the world, so why not here?

Dunno how I missed this nugget but the arrogant prick does know that my great great great great grandfather shot the fuck out of his great great great great grandfather, doesn't he?

"Oh colors, you silly bastard, what he meant was why hasn't it happened here lately?" When's the last time it happened in his country? Shit, when's the last time it happened to any highly developed, first world, western country?

Maybe I'm the one with the problem here, maybe I'm just not up on my history, but I'm not going to grant this dumb son of a bitch's premise.
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 am

non_amos wrote:
Stockslivevan wrote:Folks, I think you need to re-read his comments.

I just know how it sounded & my first reaction is that Nolan, in his own mind, 'has arrived'. A legend in his own mind, if you will.

You know, he probably does think that. No matter what he did or did not really mean with his statements about the biggest and all that, I hardly doubt that all the worship he's been getting from his (BATshit crazy, pun intended) fanbase, the studio no doubt (seems like they are practically begging him to do every DC property for them and to help and other bullshit) and all the $$$ he made with TDK and Inception hasn't gotten into his head. Im sure it did. He seems like the kind of guy to fall for all this rubbish. And might I just say, I hate his fake attitude in interviews. He tries to be all classy and cool and well spoken. Give me Joss Whedon and Zack Snyder any day of the week. They are down to earth and ´´in touch`` with the fanbase and the comic book culture, which they both respect. Unlike Nolan.

And I used to like Nolan, after BB. Not anymore.
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 am

Laughing
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 am

Here's what I don't get about duh Nolan. The dude is what, 41? Yet he barely even knows how to turn on a computer?! He can barely even check his e-mail?! And he wants to fashion his films after the SILENT FILM ERA?! Can you tell me what's wrong with this picture?

As for silent films, why is he watching them on Blu-Rays? Ain't that technology all about the vibrant picture, colors, sound, the whole shebang? So what are silent films doing on Blu-Ray? Not only are they in 'Black and White' but they're even primitive by those standards. But we can't fault those early filmmakers though because that was the beginning of the film industry. They were no doubt pioneers. And of course the technology continued to improve, to sound, to color, etc.

But here we have duh Nolan, this fossil, this dinosaur, wanting to pattern his films after that bygone era? It reminds me of what Mr. Spock said in an episode of the original series when they were stuck back in time, that they were trying to build their device with 'stone knives and bear skins'. And now I present to you duh Nolan! Suspect

Last edited by non_amos on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Now it just seems like you're bashing the guy just for the sake of it. Neutral Dude, get a grip. If you're gonna rip on the guy, rip him over something that's actually bad.

A filmmaker learning something from the silent era is A GOOD THING. Back in those days because of the lack of sound technology a lot of filmmakers had to rely on telling stories visually in creative ways that got the point across and they could be brilliant. It's a method that has become lost in modern film because filmmakers would rely too much on script exposition or because studios think audiences are too dumb and need to have everything spelled out through it.

I suspect Snyder was chosen particularly because he's one of the few directors working today that actually knows how to use a camera to tell a story without a word of dialogue. I didn't like SUCKER PUNCH, but I can't deny his talent as a visual filmmaker and the beginning of the film really showed it off. This is what makes me eager to see his MAN OF STEEL.

As for silent films, why is he watching them on Blu_Rays? Ain't that technology all about the vibrant picture, colors, sound, the whole shebang? So what are silent films doing on Blu-Ray? Not only are they in 'Black and White' but they're even primitive by those standards. But we can't fault those early filmmakers though because that was the beginning of the film industry. They were no doubt pioneers. And of course the technology continued to improve, to sound, to color, etc.

It's because blu-ray presents the best possible picture for home video. It's the closest format I have ever seen that came close to looking film-like, particularly because you can actually see the grain making up the picture.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Stockslivevan wrote:A filmmaker learning something from the silent era is A GOOD THING. Back in those days because of the lack of sound technology a lot of filmmakers had to rely on telling stories visually in creative ways that got the point across and they could be brilliant. It's a method that has become lost in modern film because filmmakers would rely too much on script exposition or because studios think audiences are too dumb and need to have everything spelled out through it.
Of all people, I'd say Nolan particularly needs to learn this lesson. If that's why he's studying silent film, good on him... because Batman Begins had WAY too much heavy, expository dialogue. Example?

Bruce- "He killed my parents. I cannot let that pass and I need you to understand that."

Seriously, did we need that second sentence? Bale is a talented enough actor to carry his meaning without the extra dialogue. There are other examples of this through out BB as well (the quick flashback to the stethoscope as Wayne digs through the Wayne Manor ruins). I haven't scrutinized his other films quite as much so maybe this was just a problem with the BB script (although remembering some stuff from TDK kinda makes me question that).

But when people talk about Nolan as some nuanced filmmaker with an eye on subtlety, I just have to laugh.
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Stockslivevan wrote:

Now it just seems like you're bashing the guy just for the sake of it. Neutral Dude, get a grip. If you're gonna rip on the guy, rip him over something that's actually bad.

Maybe you have a point in a way but am I completely unjustified in this? Like with Singer, we don't like how he 'blew' the Superman franchise. Now, Nolan hasn't done the same thing with the Batman franchise but instead has been extremely profitable. However, that doesn't mean he's right either.

Singer tried to change the mythos & we got Singerman. Nolan does his own 'tweeks' & instead gets a standing ovation. Why? Because the 'source material is irrelevant'? So Nolan 'sorta' goes by the mythos while simultaneously writing it off. Ask a Joker who wears 'war paint'. Or ask a Bane who's not Bane. So on & so forth. So although I kinda like his films on one hand, OTOH I find these things also pissing me off.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:13 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
Stockslivevan wrote:A filmmaker learning something from the silent era is A GOOD THING. Back in those days because of the lack of sound technology a lot of filmmakers had to rely on telling stories visually in creative ways that got the point across and they could be brilliant. It's a method that has become lost in modern film because filmmakers would rely too much on script exposition or because studios think audiences are too dumb and need to have everything spelled out through it.
Of all people, I'd say Nolan particularly needs to learn this lesson. If that's why he's studying silent film, good on him... because Batman Begins had WAY too much heavy, expository dialogue. Example?

Bruce- "He killed my parents. I cannot let that pass and I need you to understand that."

Seriously, did we need that second sentence? Bale is a talented enough actor to carry his meaning without the extra dialogue. There are other examples of this through out BB as well (the quick flashback to the stethoscope as Wayne digs through the Wayne Manor ruins). I haven't scrutinized his other films quite as much so maybe this was just a problem with the BB script (although remembering some stuff from TDK kinda makes me question that).

But when people talk about Nolan as some nuanced filmmaker with an eye on subtlety, I just have to laugh.

There's a lot of problems with the BB script (I suspect Goyer), sometimes the film rises above it, other times it just interrupts.

"He killed my parents. I cannot let that pass and I need you to understand that." could have been replaced by "you know exactly what I mean", or something, or maybe just a look in his eye that everyone can understand.

But like I said, the more Nolan learns how to tell stories visually and with less reliance on script, the better. Watching silent films on his blu-ray with his kids gives me hope for him.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:20 pm

non_amos wrote:Stockslivevan wrote:

Maybe you have a point in a way but am I completely unjustified in this? Like with Singer, we don't like how he 'blew' the Superman franchise. Now, Nolan hasn't done the same thing with the Batman franchise but instead has been extremely profitable. However, that doesn't mean he's right either.

Singer tried to change the mythos & we got Singerman. Nolan does his own 'tweeks' & instead gets a standing ovation. Why? Because the 'source material is irrelevant'? So Nolan 'sorta' goes by the mythos while simultaneously writing it off. Ask a Joker who wears 'war paint'. Or ask a Bane who's not Bane. So on & so forth. So although I kinda like his films on one hand, OTOH I find these things also pissing me off.

My point was that if you're gonna take a piss on the guy do it for those things you just mentioned (Bane not being Bane), NOT for watching silent films. Laughing

James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:15 pm

You know, I really don't have issues with Nolan's film, on the whole. If you check my posts, I haven't ripped 'Batman Begins' or 'The Dark Knight'. I liked 'The Prestige', and I liked 'Inception'. Nolan makes good films, especially when they are ORIGINAL.

But with 'Rises', he lost me the minute he cast Tom Hardly as "Bane". And as more and more info came out about it, it just had me scratching my head. What kind of Batman decides he can take 8 years off because things are "okey-dokey"? Are they going to show that there was ZERO drug-related crime in Gotham in 8 years? No muggings? No murders? No one ELSE'S parents getting gunned-down? If so, I call BULLSHIT right here and now. NO major city is going to hold hands and sing kumbaya because the D.A. was murdered.

Batman is NOT Atlas. He doesn't hold the city up on his shoulders. He wasn't created JUST to protect the city from plot after plot after plot against it. He chose to PROTECT the citizens. And because for 8 years the same plot wasn't recycled against Gotham, Batman says "I'm outtie-five thousand, call me if someone decides to attack Gotham again. Huh? What about the street crime? Pfffft. Ain't got time for that, sucka."?

Please.

Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 am

Yeah I'm not thrilled about Batman willingly taking 8 years off because of Two-Face dying, I assume he was forced out of action. We'll see. One thing is for certain, we really don't know how it will all play out until word of mouth gets out after a screening. Nolan does a good job misleading viewers with the TV spots and trailers. Like how the truck chase was presented as if that was the big climax at the end of TDK, showing little to no footage of anything that took place after Joker escaped jail. Maybe that one on one fight between Batman and Bane in what looked like the sewers actually takes place near the beginning of the film and is where Wayne gets his back broken, spends 8 years and major rehabilitation and wants to get back in the game.

We'll see I guess.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top