'Before Watchmen'

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

'Before Watchmen'

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/19/the-return-of-watchmen-2/

The Return Of Watchmen 2
Submitted by Rich Johnston on October 19, 2011 – 4:00 pm

A couple of years ago, Bleeding Cool broke the news that DC Comics was planning to return to Watchmen to tell new stories. Dave Gibbons would be involved as well as many of DC’s brightest stars.

The very concept was pooh-poohed and Bleeding Cool was accused to making the whole thing up, by some. Until Alan Moore confirmed that he had been approached to, if nothing else, acquiesce to the project, in return for subsequently being granted the ownership rights to Watchmen that he had once sought, at a later date. He turned the idea down, and the media attention seemed to kill the project.

For a while.

I was told before New York Comic Con that it might be back on and that DC were drawing up a wishlist of creators for a series of Watchmen prequel comics.. Well, I’ve now heard a lot more. Darwyn Cooke’s name is at the very top, linked to drawing two mini-series and writing another, followed by the likes of JMS, JG Jones, Andy Kubert and Brian Azzarello. Whether or not they have been approached, I don’t know, and no one’s talking, but it gives you an idea of the scale. I would also expect Dave Gibbons and John Higgins to be involved in some way.

I’ve also been told that there’s a creative meeting happening this week and the project has a secret name, “Panic Room” – as in that’s where the creators will need to go when the news breaks….

DC declined to comment. Just as he did last time, Dave Gibbons would only say “hurm”.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Before Watchmen'

Post  webhead2006 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Let's see if this aactually happens. How many times is it now of this talks?
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Good golly, what a horrible idea. Sorry but for me Watchmen works best as a standalone, immaculate story. Expanding upon it is just a monumentally BAD idea. And just so you know, I'd say the same thing even if Moore/Gibbons/Higgins were all in on it. That's bad enough, don't get me wrong, but without ALL three? No freaking thanks!
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/22/the-phone-call-that-confirmed-watchmen-2/
The Phone Call That Confirmed Watchmen 2
Submitted by Rich Johnston on October 22, 2011 – 1:00 pm (44) comments
“How did you know? How did you know? I didn’t know. How did you know?”

That was the phone call I got at 3 o’clock in the morning my time, 10 in the evening in New York. It was clearly from a bar, it was from a DC editorial type, and it was clearly in reference to the Watchmen prequels I’ve been talking about that, post new-52, are back on the table with Darwyn Cooke taking artistic lead. And it had been kept such a secret that certain employees of a relatively senior level had not heard a thing. And, on reading the Bleeding Cool articles, had made some enquiries.

“A conversation I had with Darwyn back in March makes all the much more sense now. When asking him what he has going on he mentions that he can’t talk about it but it “would break the internet in half”.” – g_zatara, Bendis boards

What is also clear that a decent sized chunk of DC is not on board for this. That they love Watchmen as it is, and see these prequel mini-series as diluting that. But there are also those who see not doing this as blatantly laving money on the table at a time when they can least afford to. And from a moral and creative viewpoint, no different to what Alan Moore has done with the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Indeed, some relish the tas, especially with Dave Gibbons on board.

And with Grant Morrison creating his own Watchmen-styled Charlton treatment in Multiversity, it looks like there’s going to be a lot of cod-Watchmen going around next year.

I also had some more phone calls from NEw York bars in the last couple of nights. More on that to come later.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:56 am

Look, I realize there's a perception that this sucker could make a lot of money (and there even be something to that, from morbid curiosity if nothing else) but some things should be beyond such considerations.

The other end of the deal is that DC apparently makes a mint off Watchmen trades year in and year out. If they're concerned about profiting from Watchmen, why not release another special edition trade? Maybe have Gibbons do some kind of text commentary page by page. Hell, you could even do a Blu-Ray live type of deal. DC IS trying to push digital media nowadays, right? So why the hell not?

You've got a TON options to skin this cat that don't involve ruining the oh-riginal.

This is just so unnecessary!
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:46 am

Ya why not do something like that or do a motion comic thing. unless they did that already when the film came out i dont remember.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:26 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/01/andy-kubert-to-draw-watchmen-2/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29
Andy Kubert To Draw Watchmen 2 (UPDATE)
Submitted by Rich Johnston on December 1, 2011 – 9:00 am

We’ve had his name mentioned to us before, regarding this project. There is circumstantial evidence to support it.

Well, today Bleeding Cool had it confirmed. Not officially of course, don’t be ridiculous. But we’ve been informed quite conclusively from a reliable source at DC Comics that Andy Kubert is drawing one of the four Watchmen prequel miniseries we’ve heard so much about. Taking one of the principle characters from the series and telling a pre-Watchmen tale.

But I understand he may not be the only Kubert getting involved with this.

Other people previously named include Darwyn Cooke (as the equivalent of mini-series showrunner), JMS, John Higgins and JG Jones. Oh, and Dave Gibbons.

DC, as ever these days, declined to comment. This is what Alan Moore had to say, back in the day.

UPDATE: Blimey, look at that. Currently the highest trending topic on Twitter worldwide. 2rd in the US. The UK… still obsessed with Jeremy Clarkson.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Completely unnecessary, would be even if Moore was writing it, but he's not, therefore REALLY unnecessary, blah blah blah, I've said it before.

Apart from that stuff though, I only know Cooke from New Frontier. I guess I never saw what the hype was about with that book. Him writing Watchmen prequel series doesn't fill me with enthusiasm and reassurance though.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Some more info:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/02/more-on-watchmen-2-%e2%80%93-nite-owl-the-comedian-and-more/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29
Watchmen 2 – Nite Owl, The Comedian And More
Submitted by Rich Johnston on December 2, 2011 – 9:00 am

Yesterday I ran what I believe is the first definitive creator casting for one of a number of Watchmen prequel mini-series, from a primary source. “Watchmen 2″ rapidly became the highest Twitter trending topic in the world. I’m not sure if that’s ever happened for a comic before.

But it also unearthed a couple of other potential castings from… let’s call them secondary sources. An amber light if you will.

Ones that have seem to have Darwyn Cooke talking about writing a Comedian series.

Others that have Darwyn Cooke arriving at the Canadian Fan Expo unannounced, to take Joe Kubert out for lunch. And the discussion? Reportedly, a Nite Owl series mini-series by Andy Kubert with his father, Joe Kubert, participating. Something that involved the original Nite Owl and his successor. Drawn by a father/son team.

I can’t judge as to the veracity of these. But doesn’t the idea of a Kubert/Kubert Nite Owl/Nite Owl II series just feel so right in your gut?

The other word I’ve had about Dave Gibbons’ involvement from the same sources as above, is that it’s not exactly an active one, more passive acquiescence – “for this wave”. Could four prequel mini-series just be the start?

I’ve also been told that NYCC was the intended venue to announce this project, but I should now look to January…
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:00 am

If they must do Watchmen follow ups... yeah, those are probably the characters you'd want to focus on. My fear was (and still is) that there'll be a Rorschach miniseries or something because of his popularity, not because he's really capable of sustaining such a thing. But a Comedian miniseries... well, it's got story possibility. A sort of rightwing, government-sponsored Punisher figure traveling the globe taking down enemies of the administration could easily generate some good plots. Character stuff... that's a separate thing.

And frankly, that leads directly back to something the original Watchmen did well that I just can't picture any follow up handling correctly. Watchmen gave us a lot of different points of view- conservatism, liberalism, nihilism, defeatism, etc. It never really took a moral stance on which is right and which is wrong; it simply presented the various points of view and let the reader decide which they agreed with. I'll come right out and say it, I seriously doubt most comic book writers nowadays would have that kind of restraint... and given that most of them are liberal wackadoos, three guesses (but you'll only need one) as to which point of view THEY will play up the most. The fact that Darwyn "anti-McCarthy" Cooke is leading this shit up doesn't give me much reason to change my mind.

This just seems like such a bad idea.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:41 pm

My main experience is with the film. One thing I think about, we're shown this cast of characters from the 40's who are like the original Watchmen but we really don't get a lot of information on them, mostly just flashbacks. I assume the comic was written like that? Anyway, I suppose there could be a wealth of back-story there somewhere. The original Nite Owl is a prime example but not him only. One thing that just occurred to me though is that do you think Smallville emulated this film when they showed their version of the JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA? What I mean is, in the Watchmen film we get a 'recap' of the fates of those characters, at least somewhat, right? Killed. Put in the insane asylum. Whatever. Didn't Smallville do JSA in a similar way? Anyway, regardless of that, there could be a wealth of material there.

It could also be argued that there could be a wealth of material for the more modern version of the group, like maybe expanding on those points that were touched on in the flashbacks, with the Comedian, Rorshach, & Nite Owl being ripe for material. But OTOH, it can also be argued that this story is best as a 'stand-alone' story, that even Alan Moore couldn't revisit it & do it justice. I hate to say where I stand on this. I tend to lean towards the story as it is but by the same token, if I wear the film out, then I simply wear it out! It's times like that that new material is welcomed. The problem is, said material is usually bungled. Just ask the latest sequel of (insert film here).
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 pm

More watchmen prequel news:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/05/jg-jones-to-draw-the-comedian-in-watchmen-2/
JGJonesToDrawTheComedianInWatchmen2

We’ve heard JG Jones linked to Watchmen prequel rumours before.

We’ve had reports of Darwyn Cooke writing a prequel mini-series starring The Comedian.

And now I’ve come across a rather reliable source that says JG Jones is drawing The Comedian.

So… do we have a Darwyn Cooke/JG Jones Comedian mini-series for next year?

It appears we do now.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:17 am

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:40 am

Webhead, why ain't your links working the normal way? I can't just click on them like usual.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Links are working fine for me.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:54 pm

It worked fine this time on my end. However, this ain't the 1st time lately this has happened. It's happened a time or 2 in the last few days. It's like I put the cursor over the link & it just doesn't 'highlight' like you can actually click on it so you have to either copy & paste or highlight the link yourself & click to open link. This time it worked though. Oh & Merry Christmas to all! The wife got me a Blu-Ray disc player for Christmas. I knew she was getting it so yesterday I bought ironically, THE WATCHMEN (Director's Cut) on Blu-Ray along with the film 2012. I didn't have the latter one & had seen it online but in a crappy 'bootleg' version so I wanted to see it like it's meant to be seen! And get this! I went to Walmart to shop for her & lo & behold, they had numerous Blu-Ray discs on sale for only $14.95 & I mean latest releases! So I bought THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA, & X-MEN:FIRST CLASS! I wanted more stuff but just couldn't afford it. I almost bought Thor on regular DVD as those versions were 5 bucks cheaper but when I discovered the Blu-Ray bargains? Just too good to pass up! Smile
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:41 pm

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:10 am

One thing about the Gibbons originals that I guess I never appreciated was the lack of standard superhero anatomical exaggeration. Not that I mind that, you understand, but for something that's ostensibly taking place in a "real world alternate history", the traditional superhero physique would seem out of place.

Gibbons understood that; Kubert does not.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 am

thecolorsblend wrote:One thing about the Gibbons originals that I guess I never appreciated was the lack of standard superhero anatomical exaggeration. Not that I mind that, you understand, but for something that's ostensibly taking place in a "real world alternate history", the traditional superhero physique would seem out of place.

Gibbons understood that; Kubert does not.

This is all DC Comic's see's:

Don't expect much more than a 'Dark Knight Strikes Back'-type cash-grab.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:This is all DC Comic's see's:

Don't expect much more than a 'Dark Knight Strikes Back'-type cash-grab.
Hey, I can halfass excuse the existence of DKSB on the grounds that fans really did ask for it. Again and again. There was a popular demand that was arguably being met and there was still something of a story to tell there.

But this faux-Watchmen thing? Money is absolutely the only driving force here.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Hey, I can halfass excuse the existence of DKSB on the grounds that fans really did ask for it. Again and again. There was a popular demand that was arguably being met and there was still something of a story to tell there.

But did you actually READ it?

That story was better left untold....

But this faux-Watchmen thing? Money is absolutely the only driving force here.

My point exactly.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:38 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:But did you actually READ it?

That story was better left untold....
I was never all that hip to TDKR so the prospect of a sequel was never that enticing. And like I said, there was justification for it in terms of popularity. I can honestly say though that I've never personally met anybody who's clamoring for more Watchmen material.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:25 pm

http://www.themarysue.com/petition-to-stop-watchmen-2/

I usually question the effectiveness of petitions. For things like a Watchmen sequel/prequel/whatever, I actually think it's unintentionally a signed "intent to buy" contract. Anybody who's this pissed off about it probably going to buy the final product, if for no other reason than fuel for the fire. I don't think there's any way to stop the comic book now but if you think a petition could work, well, check out that link up there.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I just found an old interview with Alan Moore in a "bathroom reading" issue of Wizard Magazine, and am going to transcribe a small part that pertains to this very topic.

Wizard Magazine #130, July, 2002:

[Excerpt]:

With a 25th anniversary in 2011, would you ever consider doing a Minutemen mini-series?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Let me say that again-no! [Laughs] I'm not at all doing anything related to Watchmen again. There were only 12 issues of it. That was the whole story. Those characters ceased to exist with the end of issue #12. They had not existed prior to the beginning of issue #1. That's the whole story. And I don't want to cheat them. It was a good piece. Nothing like it had ever been done in comics before, and I can't think of too many things that have been done like it since. I'm talking about the stuff that was actually important about Watchmen, which was not the superheroes at all-it was the way the story was told. I'm very, very proud of that. I think that doing sequels or anything connected to it would only cheapen the original work.

Is there any reason at all for you to revisit the Watchmen characters? Any idea you didn't use in the original series?

The only reason for me to do it would be for me to make a lot of money out of readers. Why should I do that? Yeah, we could do something. Imagine how easy it would be for me to say, "Yeah, we're going to do a little Minutemen mini-series or a Watchmen sequel mini-series and we're going to have all of these toys and all of this merchandise and perhaps a computer game." I could make millions out of gullible comic readers if I was actually cynical about my readership. I'm not the friendliest of comic creators, I'm aware of that. I don't go to any conventions. I don't hang around with my readers. I'm not friendly. I'm not cuddly. I know all that. That's not because I don't respect them. I don't want people seeing me like a god and not respecting themselves, so I stay home.

But I do have respect for my readership, I don't regard them cynically. I do not regard them as a herd of money cows that I can milk whenever I feel like it. I realize they have a genuine affection for my work. Very often they read it when they were young and it will probably have a special place in some of their lives. I appreciate that. I respect that. I am genuinely moved by that. Like I say, I am distant and unapproachable but that doesn't mean that I don't have any respect for my readership. Quite the opposite, I have a great deal of respect for them and I believe they have a great deal of respect for me. And I don't think that respect would be improved in either instance by me capitalizing on it.

Pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Hasn't that been moore feelings since day 1.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next