Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman!

5 posters

Go down

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! Empty Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman!

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm

So i was wondering did any one ever check out the Stan lee Just imagine Superman/other titles lee did for DC a few yrs ago?:
Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! 62654010

Wikipedia Bio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman-stan_lee
SupermanLee's version of Superman, real name Salden, debuted in Just Imagine Stan Lee with John Buscema Creating Superman (November 2001). Creators Stan Lee and John Buscema based this version on the character created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

His powers include super-strength and super-speed. Salden was the weakest member of the Kryptonian Police Force. He used a flying harness and managed to capture a dangerous criminal in a teleportation lab. However, the criminal put Salden and himself on a one-way trip to an insignificant little blue-green planet: Earth. The two men arrive separately, both discovering they have enhanced physical abilities. The criminal sets himself up as the king of a jungle tribe.

Earth is too primitive but it has the potential to develop the technology Salden needs to return to his homeworld. The problem is there are too many obstacles to the peaceful future necessary for technological advancement: war, crime, poverty, etc. Salden decides to become a superhero in order to rid the world of these impediments.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! Empty Re: Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman!

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Read it. Didn't like it. Forgot about it.

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! 488419-stanleesuperman02_super
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 pm

I too did pick it up way back way. I thought it was an interesting read. But like you AP overall wasnt that great. Just thought to make a thread on topic to see what everyone else thought of the book or even that stan lee line.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 pm

It just wasn't Superman, and it makes me glad that Siegel & Shuster created him, not Stan Lee.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeesh, that sounds like one hell of a preachy summary there. I'm glad I never read this.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:37 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:...

Yeesh, that sounds like one hell of a preachy summary there. I'm glad I never read this.

You didn't miss much. it became "bathroom reading material" to me about 5 minutes after I bought it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 am

Actually I think we already had Stan Lee's version of Superman & done much better than that DC/Lee crap. This is what he looks like in various versions:

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! 250px-10

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! Wonder10

He's called WONDER MAN & this is the character I mistakenly called 'Power Man' some time ago but at the time I didn't know how to do pics here. But let's see. He's so strong he's stood toe-to-toe with the likes of the Hulk, Thor, & even the Abomination. He has near-invulnerability. Hmmm! Super-speed & can even fly! And has glowing red eyes to boot! Gee, you don't suppose Stan Lee ripped off Superman for his creation here, do ya? Wink

(2nd pic by John Byrne.)

I never read that DC/Lee comic but I did used to read about Wonder Man back in the day & even then I noticed the similarities to Superman. Oh sure, it's a different ID, origin & everything but you can't help but notice! This guy even has an appearance that's more in line with Superman than the one that started this thread. Incidentally Marvel did another Superman ripoff. He's called HYPERION & also done better than DC/Lee.

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! Bio-hy10

Just Imagine Stan Lee Superman! 250px-10

Last edited by non_amos on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:17 am

While, interesting concepts, I do not feel any of those Stan Lee retransformations really work, at least from me. I did not care for the Red Son story either, mainly I guess, because just like with Lee, Superman is not the character I have come to know and value.

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:38 am

Rduce wrote:While, interesting concepts, I do not feel any of those Stan Lee retransformations really work, at least from me. I did not care for the Red Son story either, mainly I guess, because just like with Lee, Superman is not the character I have come to know and value.

Since I never read 'Stan Lee's Superman' by DC I can't really judge it but I don't like the sound of it. However, I really dug Wonder Man! Actually the character was originally created with a mask & not quite as powerful but then he 'died'. Obviously he came back much more powerful & even ditched the 'rocket booster' things he used to fly because he acquired the power of true flight. Even back in the day I saw the similarities to Superman but then again, it was a totally different character at the same time. Simon Williams, just a normal Earthling, experimented upon by Baron Zemo to be able to stand against any Avenger but the Baron found that he had created someone who was comparable in strength to Thor. Interestingly last night online I saw some comics excerpts of Wonder Man fighting Thor in one story & 'the Professor' Hulk in another. WM was getting the best of both of them at times! Interestingly the 'red eyes' thing was prevalent here years before DC started excessively using it.

Hyperion, OTOH, was a product of Marvel's NEW UNIVERSE I believe back in the mid-80's, the leader of the SQUADRON SUPREME. In other words, Hyperion=Superman, Squadron Supreme=Justice League. Hyperion was even weakened by exposure to ARGONITE! Tell me that's not a ripoff! But nevertheless I really enjoyed that series. Not Superman, no, but still enjoyable.

Keep in mind though that DC has been known to ripoff Marvel too though. Hank Henshaw AKA 'Cyborg Superman' was part of A TEAM OF 4 ASTRONAUTS WHO WERE EXPOSED TO COSMIC RADIATION IN SPACE. Hmm, I think I'm having a Deja Vu' moment! But of course DC used different characters & powers. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Henshaw is the only one who survived but I believe there was the equivalent of THE THING depicted in the Superman comics. So yeah, that works both ways I reckon.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:07 pm

That is so true non once one idea is good be it comics/books/tv/films someone has to rip it off somewhere.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:11 pm

non_amos wrote:Keep in mind though that DC has been known to ripoff Marvel too though. Hank Henshaw AKA 'Cyborg Superman' was part of A TEAM OF 4 ASTRONAUTS WHO WERE EXPOSED TO COSMIC RADIATION IN SPACE. Hmm, I think I'm having a Deja Vu' moment! But of course DC used different characters & powers. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Henshaw is the only one who survived but I believe there was the equivalent of THE THING depicted in the Superman comics. So yeah, that works both ways I reckon.
Yep, that story was intended to kind of riff off on the FF somewhat.

In fact, Superman #50 was a "jam issue" which had several pencillers handle the art duties. The John Byrne pages took place in an "alternate dimension" and Mxy is clearly fighting the Fantastic Four.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down