Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Superman Lives" production photos

+2
webhead2006
Comicbookfan-V2
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 Empty Re: "Superman Lives" production photos

Post  Father Finian Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:24 am

webhead2006 wrote:I would also love to see jlm costumes.

Yes. I bet we won't see them, at least not officially for a long time. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling they may actually look too good to put out there at this point in time.

It's easy to rise above some of the nonsense filtering through about Singerman's sequel and disco suits. I really hope they don't impose any restrictions on the Smallville finale. After all this time, if that doesn't deliver Superman in a big way....I'll riot in the streets!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 Empty Re: "Superman Lives" production photos

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks ap for the link. From what I was reading on this suit it was his healing/resurection suit after he died.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:12 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Thanks ap for the link. From what I was reading on this suit it was his healing/resurection suit after he died.

To me it was more along the lines of his "TheDirectorAndWriterAlongWithTheFXCrewAreNuckingFuts Suit".
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Haha yea
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:14 am

This is a great example of what I'm saying about a CGI Metropolis over a real city like New York.

K.I.S.S.-Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The fancy stylized designs are a risk. Look at how the brave designs in Singerman turned out. A real city is what it is. The classic Superman costume design is what it is. Leave well enough alone. There's too much riding on this next Superman.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:11 am

Father Finian wrote:This is a great example of what I'm saying about a CGI Metropolis over a real city like New York.

K.I.S.S.-Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The fancy stylized designs are a risk. Look at how the brave designs in Singerman turned out. A real city is what it is. The classic Superman costume design is what it is. Leave well enough alone. There's too much riding on this next Superman.

"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 Buddy_christ
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:45 am

Father Finian wrote:The fancy stylized designs are a risk. Look at how the brave designs in Singerman turned out. A real city is what it is.
By that same token, look at how the stylized approach in B89 turned out. That didn't hurt the film's bottom line. And incidentally, there was a lot more riding on B89 (lots of careers, not to mention WB's immediate financial future) than there is on the Superman reboot.

Not that it matters, the thing's going to be shooting in Vancouver anyway.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=56292

Steve Johnson sat down with Fearnet to talk about his wonderful 30 year career in the VFX industries. While talking with them he was asked about Tim Burton's Superman Lives project, and more specifically about the suit he was designing for the film.

"Don't start with me on that! I've had it with these things on-line saying 'this suit is probably why the movie didn't get made' and blah blah blah. What people don't understand is pretty straight forward," said Johnson. He went on to explain that the suit that people have seen photos and video of was not the actual suit for the film but was a suit they designed to regenerate Superman with the help of an alien. Said Johnson, "It was never meant to be the actual Superman suit. Superman dies, in Tim Burton's version. He's wrapped around by this alien presence which I would assume someone in the comics came up with. It's a living life form on top of him that brings him back to life. So everybody looked at the suit and said "Jesus, Tim's lost his mind! Steve's doing too much blow!" That wasn't what happened! It was never meant to be the Superman suit. It was an alien wrapped around him. Let's put that on the record for once. Colleen Atwood designed all the Superman suits. We had the real one; we had the black one from the ending. But the one people have seen wasn't meant to be the Superman suit, it was an alien that was regenerating him and it was really that simple. I don't know why all the fans were getting so angry about that. If they were real fans, they would know!"

Wow.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am

The narrative that's been put out there has told a much different story. Far be it from me to disagree with someone who was actually involved in the production (such as it was) but when all you keep seeing is the weird, drugged out Superman outfits, sooner or later you start thinking that's what the son of a buck was going to look like in the final version. He needs to try and look at this from the other side a little bit.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:10 am

thecolorsblend wrote:The narrative that's been put out there has told a much different story. Far be it from me to disagree with someone who was actually involved in the production (such as it was) but when all you keep seeing is the weird, drugged out Superman outfits, sooner or later you start thinking that's what the son of a buck was going to look like in the final version. He needs to try and look at this from the other side a little bit.

I would like them to come out and show us EXACTLY what the suit looked like then. Is that creepy Nic Cage one real? What about the black & red "knife S" suit?

Prove us wrong with something real, or shut your bitching up.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:The narrative that's been put out there has told a much different story. Far be it from me to disagree with someone who was actually involved in the production (such as it was) but when all you keep seeing is the weird, drugged out Superman outfits, sooner or later you start thinking that's what the son of a buck was going to look like in the final version. He needs to try and look at this from the other side a little bit.

I would like them to come out and show us EXACTLY what the suit looked like then. Is that creepy Nic Cage one real? What about the black & red "knife S" suit?

Prove us wrong with something real, or shut your bitching up.
I don't know much about The Industry but I'm not sure it's quite that easy. When all that Burton concept art was getting leaked out while MOS was ramping up, my little black helicopter conspiracy theory was that someone from WB was behind the release of all that stuff to gauge fan reaction to a different outfit. The thing there is that the stuff is still copyrighted property of WB. That stuff doesn't get "leaked" unless (A) someone doesn't care about keeping his job or (B) someone pretty high up in the food chain is officially permitting the release.

The black costume and other stuff leaked while Singerman was gearing up... and in retrospect, I now realize that WB's goal was to make the Singerman tu-tu look better by comparison. "You think the Singerman wet suit sucks? Dude, look at the bullet(s) you dodged! It could be worse!" And sure 'nuff, "it could be worse" because a weird battle cry for the Apologists.

Anyway. Maybe the guy can release some stuff and I'm just ignorant about the industry. But I always assumed that it'd be more than his job is worth to release stuff without a Mother May I from WB.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I don't know much about The Industry but I'm not sure it's quite that easy. When all that Burton concept art was getting leaked out while MOS was ramping up, my little black helicopter conspiracy theory was that someone from WB was behind the release of all that stuff to gauge fan reaction to a different outfit. The thing there is that the stuff is still copyrighted property of WB. That stuff doesn't get "leaked" unless (A) someone doesn't care about keeping his job or (B) someone pretty high up in the food chain is officially permitting the release.

The black costume and other stuff leaked while Singerman was gearing up... and in retrospect, I now realize that WB's goal was to make the Singerman tu-tu look better by comparison. "You think the Singerman wet suit sucks? Dude, look at the bullet(s) you dodged! It could be worse!" And sure 'nuff, "it could be worse" because a weird battle cry for the Apologists.

I'm right there with you. But this guy released that video of the horrid green abomination, among other things, online last year. And now he's here insulting the people who didn't like what he did? Without PROOF?

He has no leg to stand on.

Anyway. Maybe the guy can release some stuff and I'm just ignorant about the industry. But I always assumed that it'd be more than his job is worth to release stuff without a Mother May I from WB.

He could. It would just hurt his career if he did.

So he won't.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:51 am

If there is more out there would love for them to release something
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:16 am

"It could've been worse."
.....Douchebag Apologist Mantra.

Yeah, we're a naive bunch, ain't we? We complain about duh Singerman bikini & the block of wood portraying him but gee, it could've been worse! We should count our lucky stars that it wasn't!

The problem with this is this is what I'd call 'settling'. In other words, settling for 2nd best. Settling for less than Superman should be. Because. It could've been worse. Do you not see a 'defeatist' sort of attitude here? Why should we settle for a 2nd-rate Superman?! Shouldn't this be treated instead as 'le creme de la creme' or whatever? Filet Mignon to the otherwise 'chopped steak'? Shouldn't we want the BEST in our Superman films? What was ever wrong with that?!

Apologists put down Nic Cage. I didn't want him as Superman either but not because of his acting. I actually like his acting. No, to me his look was just all wrong. Superman should have a certain facial appearance besides just physique issues. Cage just doesn't have the right features & that was my beef about him. Plus it would've been like Donner said about the likes of Paul Newman, etc., i.e., the fans wouldn't have seen Superman on the screen, they'd have seen Nicholas Cage. But the facial features can be argued about BJ the Bartender also. One difference here though is that Cage can actually ACT.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 pm

"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 13012810

Talk whatever smack about this design you see fit, I think it's better than the Singerman thing. Speaking of, does that chest emblem look familiar to anyone else or is it just me?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 13012810

Talk whatever smack about this design you see fit, I think it's better than the Singerman thing. Speaking of, does that chest emblem look familiar to anyone else or is it just me?

Where did you find that??
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 pm

On the heels of that:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/01/filmmaker-turns-to-kickstarter-to-fund-superman-lives-documentary/

Filmmaker turns to Kickstarter to fund Superman Lives documentary

"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 Nic-cage-superman-625x311

Over the past decade or so, Superman Lives has achieved almost mythical status, a movie project so delightfully terrible that there’s no way it could possibly be true. Nicolas Cage as the Man of Steel, Chris Rock as Jimmy Olsen, Tim Allen as Brainiac — that’s the stuff of fever dreams.

However, Tim Burton’s nightmarish vision for the Last Son of Krypton almost became a reality, with roles cast, costumes created and Pittsburgh selected to double for Metropolis. And then in 1998, to the relief of many, Warner Bros. pulled the plug. But why, exactly?

That’s what writer/director Jon Schnepp (The Venture Bros., Metalocalypse) hopes to uncover in his proposed feature-length documentary The Death of ‘Superman Lives’: What Happened? The problem is, though, that he needs $98,000 to produce it. So he’s turned to Kickstarter.

“We could have had the weirdest Superman movie ever made,” he says in the introductory video. “Weird! Strange! Bizarre outfits! Rainbows! The weirdness level of this Superman movie beats any superhero film that’s ever been made. I mean, you had Ang Lee ‘Hulk dogs’? This is weirder. [...] For whatever reasons, it all fell apart right before they started shooting.”

Nothing if not ambitious, Schnepp hopes to interview people involved in every step of the process, from the concept artists and original writer Kevin Smith to Cage and Burton.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm

I thought that 2nd image there of Cage was the one that was supposed to have been the Suit in this aborted project, that awful Burton design. However, the pics that Colors posted don't look too far removed from what Henry Cavill is now wearing. Yeah man, where did you get those pics?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 pm

It was posted on the Eunuch page. I just moved it over here as I suspect most of you probably don't check that page out very often.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:It was posted on the Eunuch page. I just moved it over here as I suspect most of you probably don't check that page out very often.

You got that right! It's stuff like this that even makes me check them out these days. So if there was an article did it state what the deal was here?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Found a bigger version:

"Superman Lives" production photos - Page 2 13012810
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Check out the wrists. Looks familiar......
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 am

non_amos wrote:You got that right! It's stuff like this that even makes me check them out these days. So if there was an article did it state what the deal was here?
It was done in the context of some dude fishing for donations so he can make a documentary about the aborted Tim Burton movie. Too lazy to check in depth but I don't think Eunuch goes into much detail as to how he came into possession of that pic. You might infer that it came from the wannabe documentarian but I don't think it's spelled out anywhere.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 am

I have to admit it's not shabby definitely what Singer should have use since has been recycled but still wonder if Routh would ever fit through it not that it would make any difference on how SR turns out. However I still find it hard to picture Nicolas Cage as Supes but can't say whether or not if it's a bigger miscast than having Routh as Supes.

Just imagine seeing Cavill in that same suit!

Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:00 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=91296

Nicolas Cage Says Warner Bros. Were "Scared" To Make Tim Burton's SUPERMAN LIVES

The Ghost Rider and Kick-Ass star looks back on nearly playing the Man of Steel in Tim Burton's zany looking Superman Lives, and goes on to say that while he no longer reads comics "as a 49-year-old man", the genre does still have a very special place in his heart. Check it out!
By Josh Wilding - 12/10/2013

In an interview with Metro about the DVD and Blu-ray release of The Croods, Nicolas Cage was asked whether starring in animated movies like that has anything to do with his well-known love of comics books. As it turns out, he's no longer the fanboy you may have previously been led to believe! "Look, the truth is I’m not obsessed with comics," the Kick-Ass star revealed. "I don’t read comics as a 49-year-old man. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I have other interests that are more in tune with where I’m at right now. But I’m loyal and I will never forget the impressions that comics gave me as a child. They are like primitive cartoons and those characters became like a modern mythology that’s touched the world. So animated movies are like cousins to comics."

As you may already know, Cage was at one point attached to star in Tim Burton's Superman Lives, and it would have retold the famous "Death of Superman" arc, with Brainiac and Doomsday set to be the villains. Asked how close he came to actually making the rather odd looking film with the director, Cage said: "Very close. Look, I’m not going to be one of these guys that’s going to be, like, lamenting things. But is Tim Burton one of my favourite directors? Yes. Did I see some of the drawings of where he wanted to go? Yes. And I will tell you, they were fantastic and it would have been a mind-blowing experience. Did I have a concept of how to play the character? Yes, and I can tell you it would have been gutsy. So maybe Warner Brothers got scared because they had two artists that weren’t afraid to take chances." Scared or one of the most sensible choices ever?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next