Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ)

5 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 Empty Re: General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ)

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:28 am

Here's a link I found & although not necessarily 'breaking news' anymore you still may want to check it out. Be warned though, there are illustrations:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/alan-scott-is-gay-plus-more-gender-race-changes.html

I was gonna try & post the whole article but I'm getting aggravated with the stupid ads & crap that seem to be included with the copy & paste. It's also lengthy & it's late. Anyone else is welcome to post the entire thing if you can get around that problem. To be honest, I haven't read all of this yet either but I read enough to know that it was pissing me off. Here, some quotes:

It all starts next week, when the comic Earth 2 #2 will reveal that Alan Scott, the alternate earth's Green Lantern, has a same-sex relationship. DC today released artwork by Australian artist Nicola Scott that shows Alan Scott embracing and kissing his partner named Sam.

Newsarama: James, we've been told that DC has been making an effort to bring diversity into the DCU. Was this something you were asked to do by editors? Or was it something you came up with as you were creating the comic?

James Robinson: It was the latter. It was something I came up with when I was first putting this modern version of Justice Society together about eight months ago.

I really believe in this idea of relaunching the Justice Society and making them younger. But I thought it was a shame that we lost Jade and Obsidian, who are Alan Scott's children. Obsidian has been in the comics for years and was a positive gay character.

And then, in the way that one idea can spring forward to the next, I thought, well, let's make Alan Scott gay. And to DC and to Dan DiDio's credit, when I ran the idea past him, there wasn't a moment's hesitation. He was like, "Yeah, that's great. Let's do it."

I can't speak for him, honestly, but if he's anything like me, he's a little bit surprised that the media and people have been so interested in it. Although I guess it's really great that the book's getting attention because of it.

Nrama: So the reason you decided to change Alan Scott this way was because he was Obsidian's father? Because you could have added a new character to make up for that loss of diversity, but you specifically chose to change one that already existed, and you're getting a lot of attention as a result. This wasn't for the attention? Are you saying it was all linked to Obsidian?

Robinson: Well, it isn't linked in any way that you're going to see. It was just my thought process at the time. I just thought, "Oh, well, there's no Obsidian in the DC Universe anymore. So we lost a gay character. That's a shame." And then from there I landed upon Alan Scott.

Ya know what? I used to read INFINITY INC. back in the 80's & loved the title! However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Obsidian being gay. Did this development happen since the 80's because it's news to me! So what do we have here? It seems that somewhere along the line that they made Obsidian gay. Now the 'NEW 52' has erased him from existence. Houston, we have a problem! Oh, I get it now, since he no longer exists, we'll just make his DAD gay instead! How's this for a contradictory statement from Robinson?!:

Alan Scott is my favorite Golden Age character. So I'm very protective of him, and I'm very reverent of him. And you'll see the character that he is, in terms of his heroism, his goodness, his leadership, his dynamic, his Type A personality.

You could've fooled me Bud! See above quote. And if you really want to get pissed off, here's a couple of excerpts from the comic:

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 Gay_la10

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 Gay_la11

Pissed off much yet? I think I've seen it all now. Do they really have to do this in the pages of the comics for crying out loud?! Do kids even read these things anymore?! Or is it just the grown-up fans now, the whole PC left-wing gay rights agenda? Comments, please, I'm almost speechless! Anger
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 Empty Re: General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ)

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 am

Ok so it was james idea of this. I am sure now since that is known he is going to be getting a lot of hate mail. I still personally see this change as a dumb and as you said it non pc move. First with this we wipe out allan family. And second I still see no good reason for making him gay. Like I said prior its a silly move to make. When they had plently of other outed characters. Who could have easily been written and given a bigger push out to the public. So they can still get the agenda they want out there of there diversity crap. As much as I don't like the idea of turning gl gay. I am happy they didn't try to do it to supes/bats/ww/aquaman characters. That would have been a very huge mistake.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:34 am

webhead2006 wrote:

I am happy they didn't try to do it to supes/bats/ww/aquaman characters. That would have been a very huge mistake.

They haven't. YET! But please don't fly the idea by them either though. Remember how ol' BJ was on the cover of OUT magazine wearing the Singerman suit & asking the question, "Is Superman gay?" Well, it seems all the idiots at DC need is a little push to start formulating ideas.

As for Alan Scott, when I saved those comics excerpts to My Pictures so that I could post them here, guess what I named them? Gay Lantern 1 & 2 respectively.

GAY LANTERN INDEED! Evil or Very Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:44 am

I know it would be very foolish for them to do it to supes, bats, ww, aquaman. Sure they may not all be in relationships at this point of new books. But one of there big defining thing is there relationships with lois, carol, mera, etc.... hell this whole gay push with scott could end up being a short time(I do hope that). To when ever we get the next reboot. But ya let's hope to god dc never does it to the other big names.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 am

thecolorsblend wrote:DC? You guys can all go fuck yourselves.
I stand by this.

non_amos wrote:GAY LANTERN INDEED! Evil or Very Mad
Yes, let's talk about this, shall we?

I guess I didn't say so here but earlier this week I wrote somewhere or another that DC is basically trying to have it both ways. They want the media to pick up the narrative "Green Lantern is now GAY!!!" without mentioning that the Green Lantern in question is a guy only core comics fans know about. When people hear the gay thing, they default to Hal Jordan. But Hal Jordan isn't gay. Geoff Johns has basically made him the biggest pussy-hound in all of the DCU. You'll NEVER be able to make Hal Jordan gay at this point because nobody would ever believe it.

But the civilians don't know that. They hear "Green Lantern is gay" and they automatically assume it somehow relates to Hal Jordan rather than an obscure (to them) character they've never heard of. This was only reinforced on Saturday when I put on my regular Green Lantern shirt and someone I know who doesn't even pay attention to comics or superheroes or whatever joked about "the Gay Lantern" because it was on the news.

DC got the very reaction they wanted. They got all the controversy behind making GL gay without actually making a GL that most people give a fuck about gay. Best of both worlds.

Incidentally, I love Alan Scott. Always have. I dig that character. Hell, I dig the whole JSA. They're seriously cool. I'm just saying that 99% of civilians out there have no fucking clue who Alan Scott or the JSA are.

Not quite on topic but apparently DC isn't alone here either. Apparently the major networks have set up a full court press on the gay agenda across all or most of their fall schedule. Apparently pretty much every show (whether it's new or existing) will have some kind of gay agenda content in there. It may be outside the scope of this thread to discuss but if the media feel they have to force feed this shit to so many people, doesn't that kind of say something about how most people view the gay agenda? That maybe they're not onboard with it?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:55 am

This is stupid. Why couldn't they just create a character that was gay from the get go? Right, because it wouldn't make headlines like a title character could.

One thing I liked about the short lived TV series CAPRICA was its portrayal of a gay character. One of the supporting characters is revealed to be gay, but its neither exploited nor given fanfare. It's treated as if its something casual and the episode moves along without diverting. Minorities want equality, how CAPRICA did it is genuine equality.

If the writers had taste they would have done it with more subtlety. Maybe Alan Scott gets hit on by a girl and he says "sorry, you're not my type" or maybe he glances at some dude. Either way it should be done in a quick manner to establish a trait and at the same time move on with the story. All that panel is telling me "okay, now we're gonna take a break to show you two guys making out because we need to make headlines and prove how relevant we are!"

No DC, you're doing it wrong.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:01 am

Yeah, my neighbor mistook it for Hal Jordan because the article he initially read was about Alan Scott but it showed a pic of Hal Jordan. Then when he commented on the article about 'boycotting DC' & 'it must be run by fags now' he then told me he got hammered online! Apparently not only in the comments section but also by e-mail, by the gays from the sound of it.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 am

And now for something completely different.

I'm done with The New 52. The only reason I'm not done with DC altogether is Smallville- Season 11. It's their one saving grace. When all's said and done, nobody will be able to say I didn't give The New 52 a chance. I hung in there and tried. And some of it even turned out really well. Green Lantern titles, Aquaman and Firestorm especially. But the GL books have been moving a bit slow for my tastes, Aquaman hasn't been that good and now that Ethan Van Sciver is leaving Firestorm, my interest in the book is pretty much gone.

So this leaves me trolling through my back issues. With The New 52 and all the anger associated with it gone, I find I'm actually able to stomach Batman again. Reading those Batman comics from the 70's, 80's and 90's, I'm reminded why I loved the character to begin with. There are a ton of great stories in there. The Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle stuff, Chuck Dixon/Graham Nolan, that first General storyline with art from Michael Netzer, a bunch of Elseworlds books (esp Gotham By Gaslight), the BTAS tie-in comics (many of which were at least as good as BTAS itself), Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams, Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers, Batman- Year One, The Long Halloween (yeah, the final two pages of the final issue are shit on a stick but the story itself is great), etc. It's all in there, y'all.

When you divorce Batman from the modern stuff (particularly the comics by Grant Morrison and the films by Chris Nolan), you have a character that I have a deep and abiding affection for. In fact, you can kind of draw the lines of demarcation from the onset of O'Neil/Adams in the 70's to the onset of Cataclysm/No Man's Land in the 90's. Maybe not every single thing in there is gold (I maintain A Death In The Family is shit apart from the character-driven stuff, which is all anybody really remembers about it) but there's a lot more good in there than bad.

Rediscovering that has been a real joy. And it probably wouldn't have happened without my becoming disgusted by The New 52 (for reasons that have nothing to do with Alan Scott's coming out party, although that didn't help matters).

I guess what I'm saying is that it's nice to have my Batman back.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:06 am

non_amos wrote:Yeah, my neighbor mistook it for Hal Jordan because the article he initially read was about Alan Scott but it showed a pic of Hal Jordan. Then when he commented on the article about 'boycotting DC' & 'it must be run by fags now' he then told me he got hammered online! Apparently not only in the comments section but also by e-mail, by the gays from the sound of it.
Remember non_amos, it's not okay to disagree with The Gay Agenda. If you do, you need to be re-educated.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:25 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
non_amos wrote:Yeah, my neighbor mistook it for Hal Jordan because the article he initially read was about Alan Scott but it showed a pic of Hal Jordan. Then when he commented on the article about 'boycotting DC' & 'it must be run by fags now' he then told me he got hammered online! Apparently not only in the comments section but also by e-mail, by the gays from the sound of it.
Remember non_amos, it's not okay to disagree with The Gay Agenda. If you do, you need to be re-educated.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Here's what gets me. You see something in the media, non-comics related. Take for example when someone like Isaiah Washington, who played a doctor on GREY'S ANATOMY, makes a slur about his gay co-star T.R. Knight. He was fired from the series for it! And I hope I ain't getting this confused with some other case but if memory serves me correctly I'm thinking that afterward Washington has to 'apologize' to everyone basically for his 'hate speech' & I almost believe he had to undergo 'therapy'. But ya know what? This seems to be the norm! Some celeb makes either a gay slur, or a racial slur, or whatever, & then they have to profusely apologize to duh media & everyone & their cousin! Then they have to get 'counseling'. Apparently they have some sorta 'sickness' (like alcoholism) for which they need treatment & like you said, they need to be 're-educated'.

No, how about they ain't sick? They were just speaking what's really in their heart?! But then the fallout from it is what really gets me. Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Not sure if anyone here actually cares anymore?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/05/jim-lee-to-leave-justice-league-position-available/

Jim Lee To Leave Justice League – Position Available?
Written on June 5, 2012 by Rich Johnston in Comics, Recent Updates

I understand that DC Comics has been making a number of approaches to what could only be described as the A-List of modern comics to sign up for a twelve issue run on Justice League, to replace Jim Lee.

And that doesn’t even just mean the next twelve issue run, some people seem to be being asked about two, three or four years in the future. Considering the way that exclusives work these days, that might be some wise planning.

And is a sign that DC is approaching some names currently more associated with Marvel Comics to take on the role.

The one thing that remains constant? Geoff Johns will continue to write the book.

I first reported that Geoff Johns and Jim Lee were working on a new Justice League book two years before it launched, and confirmed the news was part of a DC relaunch before the official announcement. Sure enough, the title was the cornerstone of the New 52 relaunch and it took the top spot on the charts for six consecutive months. And while Lee was unable to draw every issue, he certainly drew more of the run and in a more timely fashion than on any other title for quite some time. I even bought some of his original art from his most recent issue.

But the cry goes out, as it always does in comics… what’s next?

DC Comics did not return enquiries by e-mail.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Oh look he is leaving not sheading a tear for that book. But if they are looking towards a marvel guy I am curious to see who lands the position.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:25 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Not sure if anyone here actually cares anymore?
Only in that it's kind of a microcosm of what Lee's career has been lately. Four or five issues in a row, an issue or two "sabbatical", another three or four issues, find a new penciller. It never occurred to me that he would do 12 consecutive issues on JLA so I have no right to be surprised by this "shocking" turn of events.

And look, I realize that drawing comic pages is an arduous, painstaking process. But, as Hyman Roth would probably have said it, "this is the business we have chosen!"
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:23 am

Some more updates on the zero issues coming for the dcnu:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/after-relaunching-titles-history-dcs-zero-issues-to-add-to-origins-unveil-new-characters/2012/06/08/gJQAWyIxMV_story.html
After relaunching titles, history, DC’s zero issues to add to origins, unveil new characters

No comments are available at the moment. Leave a comment

CAPTION FULLSCREEN

Text Size Print E-mail Reprints

By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, June 8, 8:38 AM

PHILADELPHIA — DC Comics’ heroes are going to zeroes.

In September, DC Entertainment will publish a zero issue for its 52 titles, a move that co-publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio said this week will help explain the origins and effects of its rebooted characters a year after it erased decades of history and continuity to start everything from scratch.

But, the duo said, zeroing out for the month will create new plots and wrinkles for the likes of Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman, among others, and see the debut of some fan-favorite characters as well as set the stage for more ongoing stories in the months to come too.

When DC relaunched its characters in September 2011 with 52 titles, the rebooted heroes and villains weren’t starting from zero.

“We started at different points for the different series,” DiDio said, adding that having every title go to zero with stand-alone stories helps readers, established and new, “find a level playing field and creates another jumping on point.”

Lee said each of the books will help fill in the blanks of some characters’ origins or present a full origin story.

“We underestimated the hunger and appetite that readers would have for this backstory when we launched,” he said. “The readership has been very intrigued in finding out the backstory in the five years since the emergence of the Justice League.”

It’s also a chance to bring four new titles to comic shops, too, said DiDio, who added DC plans to keep 52 titles publishing no matter what.

“We want to keep it new and we want to keep it 52 all the time,” he said. “We’re constantly going to be refreshing the line.”

After zero, all the titles will go back to their regular numbering, though each of the 52 “zero” issues will end up in a bound omnibus edition in fall.

Dubbed the third wave, the new titles include “Talon,” which spins out of the pages of Batman and is written by James Tynion IV and Scott Snyder and illustrated by Guillem March.

“Sword and Sorcery” is written by Christy Marx and drawn by Aaron Lopresti. It sees the debut of 1980s fan favorite Amethyst, whose alter ego Amy Winston comes to realize she’s the lost princess of Gemworld. The title has a back-up story written by Tony Bedard and drawn by Jesus Saiz that brings Beowulf versus Grendel to a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

“Team Seven” sees the formation of a team designed to counter Superman.

That title, written by Justin Jordan and illustrated by Jesus Merino, has ties to many of DC’s current comics because it includes characters like Steve Trevor, Dinah Lance, Amanda Waller, John Lynch, Cole Cash, Alex Fairchild and Slade Wilson.

The fourth, “The Phantom Stranger,” shows its namesake learning more about his true origin, his ties to Pandora and his role in creating The Spectre, long a mysterious and powerful hand of vengeance.

“I always loved the mystery and horror aspects of The Phantom Stranger,” DiDio said. “The mystery works for and against him and, as a supporting character, the mysteries are really interesting.

“But as a lead character in his own series, that becomes a huge challenge — you want to know more about him and how he acts and behaves,” he said of the title, which he’s writing and Brent Anderson is illustrating.

Lee said Phantom Stranger will become “a really pivotal part in the New 52. Not just going forward, but going back, too, in the scheme of things.”

___

Follow Matt Moore at http://www.twitter.com/mattmooreap
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:11 pm

And the hits keep comin' for Green Lantern!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Hybrid0027/news/?a=61483

New Green Lantern Possibly Muslim & Gangster?
Click the jump to see a image of a seemingly muslim & gangsta Green Lantern coming in Green Lantern #0.

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 Gl_cv0_previews_final2_0

All I can say is......Wow, Dan Dildo. Just. Wow.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 pm

They say you can't judge a book by the cover... and for DC's sake, I sure hope "they" are right.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Boy did they really need to make another new green lantern?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:22 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/FangsWorld/news/?a=61456

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 JUSTL_Cv0_PREVIEWS_0

It's a Zero Issue, that has a big #1 on the cover?

Ho-kay.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/FangsWorld/news/?a=61456

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 JUSTL_Cv0_PREVIEWS_0

It's a Zero Issue, that has a big #1 on the cover?

Ho-kay.....
Because Captain Marvel... oops, SHAZAM is busting through a reproduction of the JLA #1 cover. It's a weird artistic decision, esp as they could've eliminated that "#1" pretty easily but I guess I can kinda see what they're going from a graphic design standpoint.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:28 am

I thought they changed him into something almost unrecognizable to the character of Captain Marvel, er--SHAZAM, at least from those previous pics I saw somewhere on here. This here though is more recognizable. But when did Satan start playing the part? No

EDIT TO ADD:

That new Green Lantern, is he gonna be a green suicide bomber? affraid
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 am

non_amos wrote:I thought they changed him into something almost unrecognizable to the character of Captain Marvel, er--SHAZAM, at least from those previous pics I saw somewhere on here. This here though is more recognizable. But when did Satan start playing the part? No
At least we can all take comfort in the fact that Frank's penchant for giving his characters squirrel teeth hasn't abated these many years since his last published work fifty fucking years ago. Eight pages per month? I'm surprised he can meet such an insane, staggering deadline...

EDIT- And man, that's one fugly costume Captai... uh, SHAZAM has now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 am

Geoff johns leaving aquaman book:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=66024
COMICS: Geoff Johns To Exit AQUAMAN Along With Ivan Reis

Word broke a little while back that Ivan Reis will be leaving DC's Aquaman title that he has helped revitalized. Now it seems Geoff Johns will follow,and exit the title as well. WaylonJones - 8/20/2012

According to Bleeding Cool Geoff Johns will follow Ivan Reis and leave Aquaman. Johns is currently juggling Justice League, Green Lantern, and Aquaman as well as his responsibilities as DC's Chief Creative Officer. Reis' last issue of Aquaman will be issue 16, however Bleeding Cool does not state if that will be Johns' last issue. Another rumor that has been floating around is that the two are not done working together, as Reis is said to be the artist taking over for Jim Lee on Justice League when he finishes his run.

The move is coming as DC looks to reshuffle their creators once again around January of next year. Part of the reshuffle will be the possible cancellation of more titles, although specific titles have not been revealed. For the latest on what's going on with DC's creative team make sure you check back here at CBM.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am

The prediction a lot of people have made is that once Johns exists the title, the new found credibility Aquaman has been given leaves with him. From when I was reading the book, I'm prepared to say I believe that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:04 am

New jl comic coming:
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/08/26/justice-league-america-geoff-johns-david-finch/
EXCLUSIVE! Geoff Johns and David Finch Add Stargirl, Catwoman, And More To The Brand The New 'Justice League of America'

Posted 8/26/12 1:15 PM ET by Alex Zalben

Click for a larger version! As just announced at FanExpo Canada, DC Comics is launching a brand new version of the Justice League of America in 2013! Written by Justice League's Geoff Johns, and pencilled by Batman: The Dark Knight's David Finch, the title brings together a disparate group of heroes under the leadership of Steve Trevor to fight the Secret Society of Super Villains. We had a chance to sit down and talk with Geoff Johns and David Finch about the title - which will be running side by side with Justice League - in advance of the reveal, and found out more about the line-up (hey, there's Vibe and Stargirl!), how they come together, and why this might be the start of something even bigger: MTV Geek: Geoff, David, thanks for chatting... Other than David doing covers, this is the first time you two have worked together, right? Geoff Johns: Yeah, I’m super excited about that! David Finch: I’ve been wanting to work with him for a long time. GJ: I think I met you at Toronto, it must of been seven years ago or something. DF: I remember, we were walking back from the convention. GJ: We were talking about working on something together someday, and lucky seven years later, we’re doing it! Geek: So then how did this end up being the right project? Why Justice League of America? GJ: I think they knew we wanted to work together on something, we were talking about the book, and I think David, they approached you about doing a book like this? DF: I really wanted to work with you, so that was really the only criteria. [Laughs] When I heard about the book, I was very excited, and I’ve loved everything I’ve seen so far. It’s just so cool. Geek: I’m pretty excited about the roster for the team, but before we get to that, what’s the idea of the book? Why do they get together?

GJ: The idea of why the JLA forms, and what it is, and what it’s in reaction to... It kind of spins out of Justice League #12; what happens in that, and then subsequent issues, because JLA comes out next year some time. But the book itself is a group of heroes that aren’t necessarily coming together because they want to be together... They’ve been selected specifically. They all want, or need something that Steve Trevor, and the other person behind the scenes that’s in charge of this team can provide. The first arc is going to deal with something they learn is called The Secret Society of Super-Villains. Geek: I’m curious, how specific is the “Of America” part of the title?

GJ: It’s specific because its run by A.R.G.U.S. They have a team they feel they can now control. Whether or not that ends up being the case is up for debate. Geek: From your side of things, how did this team come together? GJ: We talked about characters that were League members, like Green Arrow and Hawkman that felt like they belonged... Characters that were unexpected, like Vibe and Catwoman. Obviously, Martian Manhunter is a big piece of it, and we hinted about this team back in Justice League #8, both with Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, and Steve Trevor. And Katana was a new character. Stargirl is coming back, obviously a character that I have a huge affinity for. And then the new Green Lantern. DF: For me, it was much more important to know who the characters were in their head, and be able to talk to Geoff about where the characters are coming from, and what they’re about. I know from my one experience drawing this kind of book that it makes all the difference for me when I can believe in the characters as people. Geek: Is there anything different for you about drawing a team book like this, versus a solo book like Dark Knight? DF: Any solo book I’ve ever done has been a Batman-ish kind of book. I feel I’m not so much going from multiple characters from a single character, so much as something that’s a little more real world, and brighter, and broad, to something that’s dark, angry... Already in the first couple of pictures I’ve done for this one, I feel like I’m enjoying it a lot more than Batman, which is killing me! I love being able to draw a character like Batman, but it’s so great to draw Stargirl, who’s smiling... A range of colorful people. It’s a lot more muscles to flex, I guess.

GJ: The characters that are selected like Stargirl, and Vibe, and Green Arrow, they have a lot of personality. If you remember the first couple of issues of Justice League, with their larger than life personalities, and the development... This takes it to the fifteenth degree, because we’re dealing with characters that are... Like, you don’t know where Vibe is coming from. He’s recruited to the JLA by his older brother, and he says, “Why would they want me? I’m just this kid from Detroit. I’ve stopped three liquor store robberies, and one was by mistake.” His brother looks at him and says, “Maybe they see potential in you that you and I don’t see.” And he’s like, “Thanks a lot.” So you get these weird characters that are unexpected, and they’re thrust into the forefront of Justice League of America... You’ll see why they’re selected, and why this team is going to give the real Justice League a run for its money; because the relationships in this team are going to be incredibly significant. There’s going to be a real learning curve with all the teams, but has the benefit of a true leader in Steve Trevor. Steve Trevor has a heart and soul that’s going to bring these characters that, on first glance, might not ever gel - what does Stargirl ever have in common with Catwoman? How’s that going to work? Geek: It’s also probably going to be tough for Steve to lead since he died in Justice League #11, right? GJ: [Laughs] Exactly. Geek: Let’s talk about the characters a bit... I think I was the most excited to see Stargirl coming back, and you writing her again. What’s the take on her? Is this the same Courtney Whitmore we know and love?

GJ: Yeah, it is! She’s slightly different... She is the opposite of Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Bynes. She is this real, All-American, wholesome superhero from Hollywood that is a phenomenon out in Los Angeles. She got her start on Hollywood Boulevard, she is incredibly altruistic, and idealistic. She is probably the one hero that goes against everything that the Paris Hilton generation is. That’s where she comes from, so she brings a different voice, a different perspective to the team. She’s younger, probably seventeen or eighteen years old. She’s very exuberant, positive, optimistic... You’ll learn a little bit more about her background and why she became Stargirl, and how she’s connected to another superhero named Starman... Pat Duggan will be in there. It’s very true to the original origins of Stargirl, but I think she’s even more relevant now. And I love that if she has an article on TMZ? It’s only positive. Geek: On the other end of the spectrum, the character I was most surprised to see in there was Catwoman. How does she end up in the mix?

GJ: Catwoman is a very different perspective, and is brought in for a very different reason. She stays because they have something that she wants... And it’s not at all what you’d expect. It’s not a big diamond, it’s not a get out of jail free card, it’s something she’s been searching for that’s going to lead to a whole exploration of a side of Selina Kyle we haven’t yet seen. But she is going to have a lot of fun on the team, she is going to be the Veronica to Stargirl’s Betty, if you will, and she has a new dynamic because we haven’t really seen her interact much with all these characters. Some of them not at all, like Vibe, and Stargirl... There’s not a lot of interaction between her and Martian Manhunter, and I don’t think she’s ever interacted with Steve Trevor that I can remember. Catwoman has a very different reason for being on the team. Geek: Who’s the Archie then?

Is Martian Manhunter the Archie stuck in the middle of Catwoman’s Veronica, and Stargirl’s Betty? GJ: Oh no, Martian Manhunter isn’t the Archie. You saw how David draws Martian Manhunter, he’s as imposing as they come. If there’s an Archie, it’s probably Steve. And Reggie is definitely Oliver Queen. Geek: I’m trying to figure out who’s Jughead then. GJ: That’s Vibe. That’s easy. [Laughs] We could do this all day, I mean, Hawkman’s Moose... Geek: [Laughs] Okay, so what can you tell us about where you going to be sending these guys in the first couple of issues? GJ: It’s funny, the book feels very much like JSA, because there’s a lot of character interaction, a lot of characters that aren’t necessarily the A-List, which is always really fun to work with...

I love working with non A-List characters. And having David draw those, they become A-List. So if you look at David’s art, and this has influenced the book tremendously, he has this great power to his figures, this very great superhero art... But if you look at The Dark Knight, he also has these fantastic emotions, and getting emotion out of the characters, really seeing these characters on a journey together; the book is going to have a tone that is JSA, the original Ostrander Suicide Squad, which was very character driven, and again utilized characters we don’t necessarily see together a lot.

Those are the two biggest influences on where the book is going. And then there’s things we’re going to do, like Martian Manhunter, we really want to set him up as one of the most, not just powerful, but also influential characters in the DC Universe, and you don’t even know it - there’s a lot to be revealed about that. So the book really has a lot of layers, and the first arc will have them tackling something that... All they know is that the word on the street is that it’s called The Secret Society of Super Villains. This will be an exercise in team building, and working together, and how different personalities have to rise to that occasion. Geek: You’re still going to be writing Justice League ongoing, at the same time as JLA, correct? GJ: Yup.

Geek: So what’s the coordination between those titles, and potentially Justice League Dark going to be like? GJ: Brian Cunningham is the Editor, and he edits all of those, so all three of the books - and I talk to Jeff Lemire a ton, Jeff is a fantastic writer - but all three of those books will be set in the same universe, and things will be tying into one another. We’ve got some plans for that, but I don’t want to get too ahead of ourselves yet, though. One of the main goals for JLA when we launch this is to establish a cohesive team, and the relationships for that team, before we go into any big stories or crossovers, or anything like that. Geek: So I hesitate to ask this then, but with three Justice League teams, if they were to go to war, that might be some sort of... Trinity War, you might call it?

GJ: It could be, but you’re a little off. How’s that for an answer? Geek: Pretty good, I’ll take it! [Laughs] Just to start wrapping up here a bit, David, what are you looking forward to on the art end of things? DF: I love the fact that its not every single most popular character in the company, it’s characters that don’t really have the same kind of exposure some of them? So it really gives us a chance to define those characters, and put our stamp on them. That’s really exciting to me. The chance to take them, make them larger than life, but also we get real, and grounded, and as believable as we can make it. Everything I’ve seen so far, it’s going to be a lot of fun. GJ: I love characters that are more obscure.

On Justice League, Shazam will be joining, and the team dynamics will be changing quite a bit on that team, but this is going to be such a great opportunity to work on characters like Katana, who I think is such a great asset, and getting deeper into characters like Vibe... Reintroducing Stargirl... Seeing the new Green Lantern with Green Arrow, and revisiting that relationship with Green Arrow and Hawkman, because we think we know it, we think they’re always at odds... And we want to turn it on its head a little bit, and delve into it more, and see what makes those two characters tick, to find out there’s something in common they both have despite their differences. So creating dynamics between these characters, and really making it a character driven, intense, intriguing book... One of the words I have on the outline for the series is intrigue.

What I mean by that is I always want you to wonder why. Why is this happening, what is their motivation, what are they after, what do they need, what do they want? I just look forward to writing a book that harkens to some of my favorite team books, and mystery books... And hopefully its something that you won’t know what to expect, and when you get it you’ll think it’s what it should be, but you never could have imagined it. And there’s a big twist in the first issue that I don’t want to spoil, but it will explain exactly what’s happening, and what the team is doing, and everything else. Justice League of America launches from DC Comics in 2013! General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 9 VEEWp

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 am

Mad

Of course Stargirl is coming back. The JSA has been shunted back to Earth 2 so if she has to exist at all, it should be in that universe but Geoff Johns has a hard on for her so of course she'll be in the mainstream continuity. Where does her cosmic rod come from? Why does she call herself Stargirl? I fully expect that shit to get swept under the rug because, hey, Courtney's back and that's all that matters (to Geoff Johns)!

Ugh...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next