Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ)

5 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Empty Re: General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ)

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 21, 2012 1:24 am

non_amos wrote:The reason I jumped to that conclusion was because that last blurb in that article about 'the death of Earth-2 Superman may not be as final as we think'. So that then was just something extra tacked onto the article? Even if that's true, what gives with resurrecting the original version if they've now got a new version? Just another example of DC further screwing up their already confusing continuity?
That leads into something I've been wondering about for a while now. It's like DC wants this brave new world of being able to do whatever the fuck they want while selectively reintroducing continuity elements from the past.

Frankly, if bringing back Earth-2 was inevitable, I'd just as soon they go to the extent of undoing Crisis and basically resetting everything back to, what, April 1985 continuity? Update the costumes or whatever (because it ain't the 80's anymore) but why not go back to the REAL Pre-Crisis continuity? It's less confusing and you've already got all your history set in place without any of the "annoying" things from the 90's (Wally as the Flash, Kyle as Green Lantern, Tim as Robin, etc).

Grarrgh...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Empty Re: General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ)

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 am

I just was reading that story. Oh boy really they had to put sexual orination card on someone. If you want to have any gay/lesbian character just make a new character. Hopefully it won't be someone classic like ww/bats/flash(any of them),martian manhunter,aquaman, and of course superman.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 am

Another update on turning a character gay story:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/21/new-dc-gay-character-is-an-iconic-male/
New DC Gay Character Is An Iconic Male…

“One of the major iconic DC characters will reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June”

That’s the comment DC’s Senior VP Publicity Courtney Simmons gave to ABC News from Burbank when asked for comment on the story we ran yesterday, that DC were to reintroduce a preexisting character into the New DCU, and changing their sexual orientation in the process. It caused quite the stir.

So we have a gender, we have a date and we have a level of recognisability. And we know it’s not Skeets.

Suddenly the candidates have reduced rather…
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue May 22, 2012 12:40 am

This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm sick and tired of some bullshit liberal agenda constantly being shoved down my throat by all media. Nothing is ever going to convince me that homosexuality is a normal, healthy or moral lifestyle. I don't give a shit who I offend by saying that. You're never going to change my mind.

But... straw. Camel. Back. The New 52 hasn't been any great shakes. Yeah, the Green Lantern books, Aquaman and Firestorm have been pretty solid. But Ethan Van Sciver is leaving Firestorm soon and so too is my enthusiasm for the title, I long ago got sick to hell of Batman and Superman might've been more enjoyable if DC could find a stable creative team and direction for the books. Geoff Johns proves he's the king of "love 'em" or "hate 'em" comics by writing awesome Aquaman and Green Lantern comics month in and month out while simultaneously destroying everything that made Billy Batson special and cool.

At these cover prices... ya know what? I'm done. I'm just fucking done. Bad enough that I constantly find myself saying "I liked it but..." or "it was good even though..." about the DC comics I buy more often than I want to but getting bullshit liberal ideology that loses every time it's put to a referendum (because people don't fucking want it!!) and getting charged through the nose for the privilege... well, hey fuckers, I've got an iPad and an Internet connection.

In the end, I suspect you'll miss me a lot more than I'll miss you.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 22, 2012 12:55 pm

My issue is what's the point in changing orination of a character. When they already have a bunch of out characters. Which they can build up more and give them a bigger push. But ya everything dc has done has been bad calls. That is why besides the sv book. I am strrictly over on marvel books.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Read a theory that the character who comes out could be Adrian Veidt. To be fair, I could live with that as elements in Watchmen suggest he might be gay. In the movie, he's shown hanging out with the Village People, for example. I think it was even outside a gay club. Also in the movie, well, there is his costume to take into account. As for the comic, Rorschach suggests the possibility in his journal. IF he turns out to be the gay character, it would arguably make sense. It's not an unreasonable extrapolation of the character.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Wed May 23, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 pm

That wouldn't be to bad I guess. Also saw on some other places some think it could be the asian atom or maybbe someone from a group called the ravengers. Probably won't be to much longer to the reveal.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu May 24, 2012 2:29 am

Wasn't the character supposed to have been someone around since the SIXTIES though? Veidt has only been around since the mid-80's. Or am I misinterpreting something here?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 am

non_amos wrote:Wasn't the character supposed to have been someone around since the SIXTIES though? Veidt has only been around since the mid-80's. Or am I misinterpreting something here?
I thought the quote you're referring to was something along the lines of "HASN'T been around since the sixties". In other words, a relatively "new" (which is a fucked up scale if your starting point is the sixties) character. But maybe I misread something.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu May 24, 2012 2:52 am

I believe on other message boards people were trying guesses like 'SHAZAM' but, uh, I don't think so! Try the 40's. But I had a thought. Suppose this writer said 'since the 60's' but maybe what he actually meant was 'since the start of DC's Silver Age of Comics'?! If that is the case, then it'd be more like the late 50's which would include the Barry Allen Flash, the Hal Jordan GL, etc. But certainly DC wouldn't make any of those characters gay, would they?! But it's also supposedly a 2nd-tier character so I don't know what to think.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Well also didn't the original article say its a character who has yet debuted in the new 52. And we already know almost all the big heavy hitters havd been used already. And it would be someone who yet to come back to the new 52. As for that I don't know who hasn't appeared yet. So I don't really have any others guesses to say besides ones I heard prior.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 am

non_amos wrote:I believe on other message boards people were trying guesses like 'SHAZAM' but, uh, I don't think so! Try the 40's. But I had a thought. Suppose this writer said 'since the 60's' but maybe what he actually meant was 'since the start of DC's Silver Age of Comics'?! If that is the case, then it'd be more like the late 50's which would include the Barry Allen Flash, the Hal Jordan GL, etc. But certainly DC wouldn't make any of those characters gay, would they?! But it's also supposedly a 2nd-tier character so I don't know what to think.
Hal Jordan is heterosexual. Almost offensively so, in fact. Dude could be the biggest pussy-hound in the entire DCU. Which, considering his competition is Batman, is saying something. Barry... eh, he's had a regular stream of chicks both in the pre- and post-Flashpoint books. Making him gay now really would be a complete 180. Talk about undeniable pandering.

Assuming I parsed that quote correctly, yeah, I'm sticking with Adrian Veidt (so to speak).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 am

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/24/will-dcs-original-green-lantern-alan-scott-be-reintroduced-as-a-gay-man/

Will Alan Scott, DC’s Original Green Lantern, Be Reintroduced As A Gay Man?
Written on May 24, 2012 by Rich Johnston in Comics.

Understand that this is not a firm story. Not like DC Comics renumbering all their New DCU comics to issues zero through September, say.

This is based on a number of well sourced people and involves considerable hearsay.

It does however make a lot of sense.

Who is the, as yet unknown gay character being reintroduced to the DC Comics superhero titles? Male, an iconic character, someone who would become one of DC’s most prominent gay characters?

I’m hearing that it’s Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern.

Created by Martin Nodell, and first written with Bill Finger in 1940, Green Lantern was originally a mysticaly-based superhero, whose powers were derived from the flame of a magic lamp and he became an original member of the Justice Society Of America.

Eventually, Green Lantern would be rebooted in the sixties by DC as a science fiction superhero, Hal Jordan recruited by an alien police force to monitor the galaxy, the character that recently inspired a Hollywood movie. But in the comics, the original Green Lantern would also repeatedly reappear, often as an older man.

In the DC New 52 books, Alan Scott was reintroduced this month in Earth Two #1, as a young man, and head of GBC Productions.

If my assumptions are correct, we will learn of Alan Scott’s sexual orientation and his role as a Green Lantern of Earth Two in Earth Two #2, out next month.

But here is the character’s first reappearance from issue one…

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Alan-scott
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri May 25, 2012 2:24 am

What a steaming pile is basically my reaction if true! I grew up reading reprints of this character & the entire JSA. Like I said, a steaming pile..........

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Steami10
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 25, 2012 11:47 am

Pandering, unnecessary and a steaming pile of... well, you know.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 27, 2012 9:52 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/27/yes-america-its-alan-scott/

Yes, America, It’s Alan Scott
Written on May 27, 2012 by Rich Johnston in Comics, Recent Updates

A few days ago, I ran semi-sourced stories indicating that the character who DC Comics announced as being reintroduced to the New 52 DC Universe as a gay man, was Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, who appeared in Earth 2 #1 briefly,

Well, at Phoenix Comic Con, I had a much stronger source confirm to me that, yes, it is indeed Alan Scott. On that basis I feel confident in calling it. Keep your Earth 2 #1 in good nick, and start queuing up for Earth 2 #2… right about now.

Of course the original Alan Scott, created by Marty Nodell in 1940, got his Green Lantern powers mystically from a green flame.

But the first person to make a “flaming” joke is out of here, okay?

Honestly?

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Whatever
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Well that is just great. Why even do that to allen. I still say it would have been better to take one of the already out character. And give there character a push and build them up.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Marty Nodell is without a doubt rolling over in his grave right now! Do you suppose his 'heirs' can sue duh WB/DC? I think this is one lawsuit I'd actually support! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 28, 2012 12:48 am

That would be an interesting case if it was to happen. Good question does that guy have any living heirs.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 am

DC? You guys can all go fuck yourselves.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon May 28, 2012 1:08 am

General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Make_m10

EXCELSIOR!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 28, 2012 1:11 am

thecolorsblend wrote:DC? You guys can all go fuck yourselves.

Are you saying Dan Dildo should go "Green Lantern" himself??

Too soon?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 28, 2012 1:14 am

non_amos wrote:General DC Relaunch Thread (including FAQ) - Page 8 Make_m10

EXCELSIOR!
I have nowhere near the history with Marvel that I do with DC but, on that basis, it looks like Marvel works hard to tell good stories as best they can within today's really fucked up, ever-shrinking market. Secret War (the Bendis thing), Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, Heroic Age and all the rest feel like they flow organically from one into another. I'm particularly a big fan of Civil War. Yeah, the ending was kind of a cop out. And yeah, they found a way to absolve everyone involved. But in the moment, (A) it's a kickass story and (B) the conflicts feel pretty real to me. I buy each character's point of view. Were this to ever be loosely adapted into an Avengers film... yeah, I'd be onboard.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 28, 2012 1:18 am

Totally sure there is folks who bitch and moan about things marvel has done in say the past decade. But to me from the titles I currently read of marvel. I like what they are doing. Then all the screwed up crap dc been throwing to fandom for past few yrs. For me only thing I didn't like is the whole one more day crap. With getting rid of mj and peter marriage. I for one saw no reason to get rid of that. But besides that. I have enjoyed a lot that marvel has done for example with spiderman. And the on going stuff in new avengers with the dark avengers and norman running amuck there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 am

I grew up probably liking both DC & Marvel about equally, at least as a kid. I looked forward to all of my Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic 4, Avengers, Defenders, & the slew of other titles I was exposed to but simultaneously over at DC I was really digging on Superman, Batman, JLA, JSA, Flash, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, & even Wonder Woman, among others. It probably would've been a toss-up to have even tried to choose a favorite. Cheap cover prices didn't hurt either.

But then in the mid-80's I found myself leaning towards DC, at least before I quit collecting again. Why? Namely, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, which is quite possibly my favorite mini-series bar none. I still liked Marvel, especially Hulk, but even though I enjoyed SECRET WARS I actually liked Crisis better. It's like the 'death of superheroes' really got me right here, know what I mean? Flash & Supergirl especially but I also hated to see the Earth-3 characters perish as well. So at that time I'd have to give the nod to DC.

But as I've stated before, I quit comics more than once but even then it was usually a DC mini-series that got my attention again! But the more time goes on, the more the current incarnation of DC just continually screws over their own continuity to where it's anyone's guess anymore?! And I haven't bought this 'New 52' at all. But what worked with Crisis? The excellent storytelling! It's like you were 'emotionally invested' in those characters & those deaths, the Anti-Monitor, everything. But didn't DC bring back everyone anyway so the deaths didn't even matter? And they continue to 'screw the pooch'. Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next