Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Lex Luthor In Man Of Steel?!

4 posters

Go down

No Lex Luthor In Man Of Steel?! Empty No Lex Luthor In Man Of Steel?!

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=40443

No Lex Luthor In Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel?
Most of us figured it was a foregone conclusion that Superman's most famous nemesis would be making an appearance in the upcoming reboot, but from what we hear this may not be the case..
I have been digging around trying to find out some info on the Lex Luthor situation in Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel. With pretty much every other major role cast, many believed that Christopher Meloni must have won the role when he was announced as joining the cast but that wasn't the case. Most lines of inquiry hit a dead end but I did get the following piece of info back from a source at a casting agency..

"If Snyder has cast or is looking to cast someone for the role then he is keeping it very quiet indeed. I don't think he will be in the movie based on what I have heard, but like I said, it could just be because things are being kept very hush hush"

Or, it could just mean that my friend hasn't heard anything! Obviously this is just one person's educated guess, but it is a possibility nonetheless. If Luthor wasn't in the movie, how would you guys feel about it?

You mean Adam Harris ain't gonna play 'Mr. Lu-thorrr', Comic Book Movie?! I thought you said he was?! Now you say no Luthor at all?! Which is it?! Is he or not?! Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

No Lex Luthor In Man Of Steel?! Empty Re: No Lex Luthor In Man Of Steel?!

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:13 am

I'm all for this. Of the four Superman movies as well as Singerman, Lex is in four of 'em. It'll give Zod room to breathe as THE villain of the movie.

Yeah, this is just a rumor and stuff but I find it easy to believe. Lex is a major character. You'd think that if he was going to be in the movie, a casting announcement would've come down the pipeline by now.

Yet more good news from this production.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:41 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I'm all for this. Of the four Superman movies as well as Singerman, Lex is in four of 'em. It'll give Zod room to breathe as THE villain of the movie.

Yeah, this is just a rumor and stuff but I find it easy to believe. Lex is a major character. You'd think that if he was going to be in the movie, a casting announcement would've come down the pipeline by now.

Yet more good news from this production.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm aware that fanboys are 'sick to death' of Luthor in the films but if you'll notice, they generally loved the character on Smallville as played by Michael Rosenbaum. I guess the difference though was the interpretation of Luthor. Since Rosenbaum portrayed 'corporate Lex', the fans liked it & basically want 'corporate Lex' in the reboot, that is, if Luthor is in it at all. However, the 'campy Luthor' has worn out his welcome with all of the 'land-grabs' & such. I wouldn't want that version either but if they went the corporate angle, I could accept Lex being in the film.

Some have suggested that Luthor simply make a cameo appearance or be a supporting character. Actually, if you think about it, Luthor is a supporting character anyway. He's part of 'the cast' just like Lois, Perry, & Jimmy. However, that doesn't mean he has to be the main villain either, but I also feel like he needs to be there to some extent even by default. And do we really want this film set up like BATMAN BEGINS? Just like the Joker was hinted at there, are we to get 'Lex Luthor' hinted at at the end of THE MAN OF STEEL? If we do, expect duh apologists' moaning to commence almost immediately!

I still say if you're gonna use Luthor, put him in the battlesuit! He doesn't have to be the main villain but it's still an angle I think they ought to explore at some point.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:49 pm

I saw that story the other day myself. Two trains of thoughts. One hand would be nice to have a break from luthor. Though if he doesn't appear on screen I would want luthor to still have some impact in the film. Ie lexcorp visible in exterior shots, and lois/others talking about luthor at the planet. The other hand would be nice to maybe just do a cameo of lex, to buold him and x other threat as villains for a sequel.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 pm

non_amos wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. I'm aware that fanboys are 'sick to death' of Luthor in the films but if you'll notice, they generally loved the character on Smallville as played by Michael Rosenbaum. I guess the difference though was the interpretation of Luthor. Since Rosenbaum portrayed 'corporate Lex', the fans liked it & basically want 'corporate Lex' in the reboot, that is, if Luthor is in it at all. However, the 'campy Luthor' has worn out his welcome with all of the 'land-grabs' & such. I wouldn't want that version either but if they went the corporate angle, I could accept Lex being in the film.

I'd be perfectly fine with Lex Luthor sitting this one out.

Just like the Joker was hinted at there, are we to get 'Lex Luthor' hinted at at the end of THE MAN OF STEEL? If we do, expect duh apologists' moaning to commence almost immediately!

So? Did anyone listen to the Apologists when they were crying for BJ to come back?

Nope.

I still say if you're gonna use Luthor, put him in the battlesuit! He doesn't have to be the main villain but it's still an angle I think they ought to explore at some point.

Ain't happenin'.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:21 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. I'm aware that fanboys are 'sick to death' of Luthor in the films but if you'll notice, they generally loved the character on Smallville as played by Michael Rosenbaum. I guess the difference though was the interpretation of Luthor. Since Rosenbaum portrayed 'corporate Lex', the fans liked it & basically want 'corporate Lex' in the reboot, that is, if Luthor is in it at all. However, the 'campy Luthor' has worn out his welcome with all of the 'land-grabs' & such. I wouldn't want that version either but if they went the corporate angle, I could accept Lex being in the film.

I'd be perfectly fine with Lex Luthor sitting this one out.

Just like the Joker was hinted at there, are we to get 'Lex Luthor' hinted at at the end of THE MAN OF STEEL? If we do, expect duh apologists' moaning to commence almost immediately!

So? Did anyone listen to the Apologists when they were crying for BJ to come back?

Nope.

Ain't happenin'.

Gee, AP, as agreeable as always huh? Trying to strike down every point someone makes? So why then ain't it happening? You'd think with all the bots, robots, Iron Man, Transformers, & whatever else would make such an idea 'a given', especially if you want to portray Luthor differently than before. Hey, you wanted METALLO, right?

Ain't happenin'! Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:30 am

non_amos wrote:Gee, AP, as agreeable as always huh?

Where have I ever claimed to be the type to coddle people and their opinions?

Trying to strike down every point someone makes?

Nah, just the ones I realize are ridiculous.

So why then ain't it happening? You'd think with all the bots, robots, Iron Man, Transformers, & whatever else would make such an idea 'a given', especially if you want to portray Luthor differently than before.

Because you would IMMEDIATELY cause people to check out of the movie when that happened. Unlike Obadiah Stane in 'Iron Man', people KNOW who Lex Luthor is supposed to be and look like. If you threw him in an over-the-top mechanized suit in the FIRST movie, you would cause people to say two things:

1. They are copying Iron Man!

2. What the fuck???

Both are no-no's, and therefore ain't happenin'.

Hey, you wanted METALLO, right?

Ain't happenin'! Wink

And yet, you don't see ME whining and crying about it.

Go figure.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:19 am

Another thing is that I don't think the battle suit really plays with a corporate Lex. Or, at a minimum, you have to be careful in how you do it. To me, the corporate Lex epitomizes a Lex who does not and would not confront Superman on a physical basis. He's out to prove who's the better man, not the better fighter. I'd argue the psychology of a corporate Lex wouldn't allow him to put himself direct in harm's way like that. It's just beneath him.

If we're talking about the rogue scientist though... yeah, I could see that. He's got a grudge against Superman that almost transcends all rationality. It's borderline (but not quite) psychotic. This version of Lex (A) would absolutely take matters into his own hands, confront and defeat Superman by any means necessary and (B) has arguably never been seen in live action before, but certainly not since Lyle Talbot.

Any way you care to slice it though, Lex doesn't have to be in MOS. Right or wrong, there's a perception that Superman stories too often rely upon Lex as the centerpiece villain. People can argue that he's a supporting character in Superman stories. An antagonistic supporting character, but a supporting character nonetheless. But that ain't how the general public sees it.

To me, the right move to make is to give them a villain they haven't seen before or, lacking that, at least a villain they haven't seen much of. There's a sense in which Zod fits the bill rather nicely. If casual moviegoers remember him from Smallville, they'll at least see a showdown with Superman that SV couldn't quite match. If they never saw those SV episodes, Zod for all intents and purposes is a "new" villain.

Yes, I'm overlooking Terrence Stamp because few people under the age of 25 have seen the Reeve Superman films and would remember him. Not saying that's necessarily a good thing, just a true thing.

If this rumor is true (and I believe it probably is), Snyder is making the right call in leaving Lex out of this one.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

On the point of battlesuit I don't see iit being to out there of a thing to happen. As long as they build it up right and show it in a believily light. Like say if lex creates metallo, and teams up with brainiac. he borrows there tech along with other things. To create battlesuit. And I would leave that for a possible end battle deal with superman in a 3rd film or something.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm

webhead2006 wrote:On the point of battlesuit I don't see iit being to out there of a thing to happen. As long as they build it up right and show it in a believily light. Like say if lex creates metallo, and teams up with brainiac. he borrows there tech along with other things. To create battlesuit. And I would leave that for a possible end battle deal with superman in a 3rd film or something.

And I know it didn't happen on Smallville but..........if Michael Rosenbaum hadn't left the show, I can almost guarantee you that the Smallville team would've somehow wrote it into the show eventually, what with their 'Easter eggs' & all like they already do & their continual homages. Sure, it didn't happen because he left the show but it's probably the only reason it didn't happen! And they'd have done it whether it made sense or not.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 pm

webhead2006 wrote:On the point of battlesuit I don't see iit being to out there of a thing to happen. As long as they build it up right and show it in a believily light. Like say if lex creates metallo, and teams up with brainiac. he borrows there tech along with other things. To create battlesuit. And I would leave that for a possible end battle deal with superman in a 3rd film or something.

Has ANYTHING you heard about this film make ANYTHING you said even possible?

Because, you know, my point was you CAN'T do that in the FIRST FILM.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:If this rumor is true (and I believe it probably is), Snyder is making the right call in leaving Lex out of this one.

Exactly.

Starting off the first REAL Superman film in 20+ years by biting off of 'Iron Man' is the one of the worst things you could do.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 pm

webhead2006 wrote:On the point of battlesuit I don't see iit being to out there of a thing to happen.
I do. The corporate Lex just isn't the kind to get his hands dirty directly. Not with Superman, not with anyone. He has people on the payroll whose job it is to put their asses on the line. (A) Lex sees work like that as beneath him and (B) he has pro's to handle it anyway.

Apologist Puncher wrote:Because, you know, my point was you CAN'T do that in the FIRST FILM.
And yeah, there is that too.

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:If this rumor is true (and I believe it probably is), Snyder is making the right call in leaving Lex out of this one.

Exactly.

Starting off the first REAL Superman film in 20+ years by biting off of 'Iron Man' is the one of the worst things you could do.
And frankly, I think Superman may have an uphill climb anyway. A pissed off newspaper editor? Irrespective of which comics were published first, people may think of Spider-Man. A shirt rip? Ibid. Throwing in something that could be seen as an Iron Man ripoff (and may well have been for all I know) is too much.

Besides, I personally want to watch Superman wearing The Suit (no redesigns, no fucking pleather and Daisy Dukes, no jeans and a red jacket) and throwing with a real supervillain. No more armor, no more human enemies, none of that shit. At least not for a while. Give me a superpowered adversary.

Zod? Yes please.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:09 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I do. The corporate Lex just isn't the kind to get his hands dirty directly. Not with Superman, not with anyone. He has people on the payroll whose job it is to put their asses on the line. (A) Lex sees work like that as beneath him and (B) he has pro's to handle it anyway.

You know what WOULD be different, if they actually WERE to use Lex Luthor?

Have him do all this sneaky, evil, conniving shit behind the scenes, and Superman isn't able to prove ANY of it. So no Lex being arrested, no Lex being "defeated". Superman wins, but it's a hollow victory.

Been done on TV, hasn't been done in a comic book movie YET.

And frankly, I think Superman may have an uphill climb anyway. A pissed off newspaper editor? Irrespective of which comics were published first, people may think of Spider-Man. A shirt rip? Ibid. Throwing in something that could be seen as an Iron Man ripoff (and may well have been for all I know) is too much.

Besides, I personally want to watch Superman wearing The Suit (no redesigns, no fucking pleather and Daisy Dukes, no jeans and a red jacket) and throwing with a real supervillain. No more armor, no more human enemies, none of that shit. At least not for a while. Give me a superpowered adversary.

Got that right.

Zod? Yes please.

A bad-ass Zod that has an epic, Metropolis-trashing fight with Superman.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I do. The corporate Lex just isn't the kind to get his hands dirty directly. Not with Superman, not with anyone. He has people on the payroll whose job it is to put their asses on the line. (A) Lex sees work like that as beneath him and (B) he has pro's to handle it anyway.

You know what WOULD be different, if they actually WERE to use Lex Luthor?

Have him do all this sneaky, evil, conniving shit behind the scenes, and Superman isn't able to prove ANY of it. So no Lex being arrested, no Lex being "defeated". Superman wins, but it's a hollow victory.

Been done on TV, hasn't been done in a comic book movie YET.
That's actually my main gripe with the corporate Lex. "Okay Luthor, you got away with it this time but I'll nail you next time!" "Okay Luthor, you got away with it this time too but next time? Dude, I'm SO gonna nail you next time!" "Curses! You won this time Lex, but you know what? I'll GET you! NEXT time, muthafucka!" "... Oh fuck it, I'll do it next time!"

Hey, I think that kind of thing plays and plays well in episodic formats like TV and comics, where storylines can take years to unfold. But I fear Lex "getting away with it" beyond a single movie on the grounds that it may make Superman look ineffectual.

That said, you could set up a neat little arc where the corporate Lex "gets away with it" in his first movie, becomes President in the second one and then gets arrested and (finally) becomes the renegade scientist in his third outing establishes a nice little character arc for him. It hits on several characterizations from the comics while also putting him through real character development. He starts off as another greedy, corrupt corporate titan, becomes a power-hungry pseudo-dictator and then, finally, just a guy in prison grays who has lost everything and is bent on revenge against all of society (Superman for dethroning him, everyone else for turning on him).

Anyway. Just my two cents.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Ap I never said I wanted these things in first film. Its something that needs to be built up good and over time. So it makes its reveal and use a bit more special and all that. Also colors I agree with your point on lex not getting hands dirty at first. But if we got to see the rise/fall of luthor plot. I see the battlesuit as lex last ditch effort in taking out superman. Cause he just had it with him stopping him. And through a public fight with superman. Would show the public luthor isn't the man he claims to be. And then shows the world he has to be locked up.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Ap I never said I wanted these things in first film. Its something that needs to be built up good and over time. So it makes its reveal and use a bit more special and all that. Also colors I agree with your point on lex not getting hands dirty at first. But if we got to see the rise/fall of luthor plot. I see the battlesuit as lex last ditch effort in taking out superman. Cause he just had it with him stopping him. And through a public fight with superman. Would show the public luthor isn't the man he claims to be. And then shows the world he has to be locked up.

And yet we're talking about the first film?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down