Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!)

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!)

Post  webhead2006 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Ya it still sucks gl didn't do better. To me it was a enjoble film. Yes it had its problems. But it wasn't the wrost thing ever. I do hope this blunder wont stop wb from trying other lower tier characters.
webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:59 pm

non_amos wrote:I have to agree. I don't understand myself how this happened?! Maybe it's WB/DC because with a doubt if Marvel had made the film it'd have been a success! I mean, Harry Potter crushed it in what, one day?! Or one weekend?! Even Transformers 3 & I know that's 'popcorn entertainment! Maybe like you said previously, the general public just didn't buy into GL & even if the film had been better made, it still might not have made any difference? Maybe, maybe not. I'd still like to think if WB had taken more time with the project & not simply have been in a race with Marvel, that it might have made a difference.

Thats the same thing I'm thinking but as I already pointed out it's either three things...

One, it's due to the fact that it's a film based on DC and not Marvel critics would obviously make bias opinions to cover that exact reason and even if it were to be done alot better that it did still won't make no difference either! Same can be said if an all CGI film wasen't distributed by either Pixar or Dreamworks.

Two, the film was eventually facing severe competition with other films such as "Cars 2", "Transformers: DOTM" & "Harry Potter: ATDH" so there was no way "Green Lantern" could have stayed on top, hell it was lucky enough to stayed on the number one spot even if it's only for a week!

And Three, viewers/audiences who can't think for themselves or have opinions of their own and go on the bandwagon on agreeing with what the critics say rather than express on what they themselves think!

But we all know for a fact that movies are made solely for entertainment and to take for what it's worth not to necessarily make money (Although that is sort of important) and certainly not to be judged by those who think they have the power to approbate or condemned a motion picture film as they see fit. Which is why films only matter to us viewers/audiences despite that we don't have the power to determine if they're decleared good or bad nor do we need to be.

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I don't care what anybody says, I think the movie was better than this.

I would be MORE than happy to debate this film's numerous shortcoming with ANYONE.

It deserved to fail, and it did.

Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 pm

This film failed because it was a bad film, period! The only way a GL film was going to succeed was please the fan base, which it has not. The actors were not up to the task and the story is weak, and what more can be said for the CGI and 3D as an afterthought!

GL simply cannot be aimed at the main stream public, because Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public haven’t the slightest interest in the character or his background. They may have gone to see the movie if it turned out to be Epic, but clearly, this is not the case.

If you wish to blame stiff competition, you may as well blame sunspots, the only thing that sunk this film is that, other than Batman, WB hasn’t got a clue about who they are trying to market their movies toward. Just like Singerman, word of mouth shut this thing down faster than a speeding bullet!

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:44 am

'Green Lantern' is shaping-up to be one of the biggest comic book movie flops EVER:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm

Domestic: $114,086,252
+ Foreign: $33,300,000
= Worldwide:$147,386,252

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:'Green Lantern' is shaping-up to be one of the biggest comic book movie flops EVER:

Domestic: $114,086,252
+ Foreign: $33,300,000
= Worldwide:$147,386,252
Also...

Production Budget: $200 million

Hate to do it but...

thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:11 am

All jokes aside, I really wish this film had succeeded. I enjoyed it, that was no lie. Like I said in the reviews thread or whatever, I thought it was better than I expected it to be. But looking at all the 'nit-picking' of the film, I guess it did suffer from 'rushed production'. Trying to compete with Marvel without following the winning Marvel formula. Had they taken their time with the film, who knows?! Maybe, maybe not, but as they say, it certainly couldn't have hurt.
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:21 pm

As of Friday, the last day Box Office MOJO has any information for GL and after 56 days in release GL has amassed an underwhelming $114,631,201 domestic and $45,700,000 International sales for a grand total of $160,331,201.

In order to recoup there initial investment, GL is going to have to go nuts in the DVD, BluRay sales. I think it is safe to say that we are never going to see Ryan in another GCI’ed GL costume again.

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Production Budget: $200 million
Domestic: $115,742,183
+ Foreign: $90,100,000
= Worldwide: $205,842,183

Surprising that this turd even made it's FILM costs back. Not even close to the advertising budget though.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Well aleast it reaches it's budget at the last minute rather than well... Never!!! So that only leaves the DVD sales although I'm not sure how that would turn out! Still, even though it wasen't much of money maker as many expect it to be I don't think it justify that it's a bad film!
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:10 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Well aleast it reaches it's budget at the last minute rather than well... Never!!! So that only leaves the DVD sales although I'm not sure how that would turn out! Still, even though it wasen't much of money maker as many expect it to be I don't think it justify that it's a bad film!
The problem with your theory is Singerman Syndrome, where the movie lost money in both territories. And also like Singerman, the only way it could be argued to have turned a fucking nickel is if you compare only the worldwide gross to the production budget.

Mind you, that leaves the marketing budget and tons of other stuff on the table but we'll skip that.

Bottomline, the DVD will have to do crazy business to put the movie over the top. And even that may not be enough to justify a sequel. And, to continue with Singerman Syndrome, Singerman sure as hell never managed THAT particular feat and I doubt GL will either.

And this is all coming from someone who rather enjoyed GL. But, again, intellectual honesty is what we're all about around here.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:36 pm

CBF I have been told that the studio only gets about 55% of the gross, so the film is really far from breaking even at this point. So like TCB says it needs to go nuts in DVD sales, something that SR didn’t even do. Hell, SR was in the $5 bin at WalMart in my town within two months of it being release just so they could get rid of them! I really don't see GL doing any better because it was pretty much out of the area theaters within 2 weeks.

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Well aleast it reaches it's budget at the last minute rather than well... Never!!! So that only leaves the DVD sales although I'm not sure how that would turn out!

The fuck does it making it's budget back mean, moron? Do you think that means it will get a sequel? I hope you do, because it just confirms what an idiot you are.

Still, even though it wasen't much of money maker as many expect it to be I don't think it justify that it's a bad film!

It was a bad film. Period. The fact that people ignored it PROVES THIS.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:The fuck does it making it's budget back mean, moron? Do you think that means it will get a sequel? I hope you do, because it just confirms what an idiot you are.
I'm with you on this one. Call me crazy but I doubt that WB will view a $205 million gross off a $200 million investment (and we're only talking about the film here) much of a success.

Singerman Syndrome, dude.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:31 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Singerman Syndrome, dude.

Exactly. Remember in the Misc. thread, where we talked about how easy it is for these people to slip into that mode?

Case in point.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Exactly. Remember in the Misc. thread, where we talked about how easy it is for these people to slip into that mode?

Case in point.
Dude, it's only as "easy" as you let it be. If you're determined to trumpet the perceived advantages, strengths and success of your favorite movie or TV show or what have you while simultaneously ignoring the weaknesses of the same and the superior performance from competitors...

YOU ARE AN APOLOGIST. Perhaps not for Singerman but for SOMETHING.

Of course, GL's dismal box office showing has left very few people with illusions about how it actually was successful; "the nay-sayers metrics are just way off", "superhero fatigue", "Pirates 2 (Transformers 3?)", "critics loved it", etc, shit like that. So I guess the take away point is that, except for one obvious exception, GL lovers are far better acquainted with reality than Apologists are.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 pm

I have found that by following Box Office Mojo polls is a pretty good indication how a film is going to perform once in the theater. While I doubt the polls are scientifically accurate they do seem to follow the mood of the viewing public on every under performing film. GL really had no initial interest except of the fans and once in release and the fans abandoned it, there was no hope it would succeed.

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:The fuck does it making it's budget back mean, moron? Do you think that means it will get a sequel? I hope you do, because it just confirms what an idiot you are.

Actually I didn't mention anyhting about spawning a sequel after reaching it's budget asshead, I'm only addessing that it actually reached it's budget cost as some people thought it wouldn't which means that the WB won't have to complain about the film not getting back the money that was spent to make it!

Now as for getting back the amount that was spent on investing it, that's another story!
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Actually I didn't mention anyhting about spawning a sequel after reaching it's budget asshead, I'm only addessing that it actually reached it's budget cost as some people thought it wouldn't which means that the WB won't have to complain about the film not getting back the money that was spent to make it!

First off: You're an idiot. Seriously.

Secondly, they definitely CAN complain about this flop of the summer. Do you think a company invests $300 million dollars into a summer blockbuster just to make it's production costs back? Do you?

Yeah, I bet you do shit-for-brains.

Now as for getting back the amount that was spent on investing it, that's another story!

HI-LARIOUS.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:11 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:which means that the WB won't have to complain about the film not getting back the money that was spent to make it!
Putting aside the irrationality of that thought, the very last thing I was expecting to follow the above may well have been...

What? The? Fuck?
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:19 am

This guy is used to posting at WeMakeALotOfShitUp.com, where he can "report" people who call him out on his stupidity, or don't even bother because there is no point in responding to him. Seriously, have you looked at that place and it's comment section?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:34 am

^ For some reason, that made me think of...

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:47 am

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 am

Comic Book dude is soon gonna hit negative 100! What's he shooting for next, ABSOLUTE ZERO?! Laughing
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:01 am

non_amos wrote:Comic Book dude is soon gonna hit negative 100! What's he shooting for next, ABSOLUTE ZERO?! Laughing

There is going to be a special "Rank" for when he does it -100. See the "SHAME" he has now?

Just wait....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top