Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!)

+3
BHoward
Apologist Puncher
thecolorsblend
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!)

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:25 am

BHoward wrote:I wonder your thoughts on a Flash movie? Personally, I don't think there is enough there for a solo film, but part of a LOTR-like JL trilogy.
I'm up for it. For starters, I'm kind of tired of the "superhero epic" thing. It's been done to death. I'd like a Flash movie (starring Wally) that's fun and adventurous. One thing a lot of superhero movies miss out on (for some reason) is simply how COOL it would be to have superpowers. Of all characters, it feels like Wally is the guy who'd most understand how cool it is. As a Flash fanboy from birth, he'd already be into the idea of simply having powers, specifically Barry's powers.

I think you've got juice for a few Flash movies. As with GL, there's pathos in Wally becoming his own man rather than his predecessor's bitch. You can make a neat little balancing act with Wally accepting the legacy but at the same time maturing as an individual. The comics ran with that for years, and to awesome effect.

As for villains, again tying in to the legacy thing, I think there's mojo in Wally contending with Barry's old enemies while at the same time making a few new ones of his own.

Any decent Hollywood screen writer can come up with enough material for two films easy just from the comics (nevermind his own ideas), and if he can't, he shouldn't have the temerity to call himself a writer.

But then, I've always thought that to be true of most comics in general. Sure, some comics simply don't lend themselves to film (Irredeemable in my mind sets the standard for something that belongs on television, if you must adapt it) but any way you care to slice it, the big iconic characters like the Flash have been around for decades and you don't do that unless there's some juice to the characters, stories and conflicts. It's as simple as that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!)

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Let me be the first to say that despite the critic's opinions in which I'am aware how negative they are I don't always depand on them since we all know for a fact that films are made to entertain the viewers not to recieve improval from critics! They don't have the power to determine the success or non-success of a motion picture film only the viewers are the one's who can actually do that.

Plus I sense some form of conspiracy that the only reason why critics are putting alot of heat into this film is because it's either not associated with Marvel (Kind of like how critics won't like an animated film unless it was made by Disney or won't like a CGI film unless it was made be either Pixar or Dreamworks) unless it involves Superman & Batman or just depends on the association with a certain studio, the involvment of the cast & crew including the attachments of a certain producer & director. Either way critics would find some form of excuse to bash a film without a real suitable reason except that they just don't like it period and it's just best to determine a film only by one owns opinion and not by others which is exactly what I'm going to be doing once the film hits theaters and by then I'll give an honest opinion of what I think of it but in the meantime I'll just hope for the best for this film and whatever fate this film will have in upcoming months to come I'll except it without no strings attach!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 pm

I am like that too myself some timmes. I rather go see a film myself and judge if its good or bad. If a film doesn't peak my interest I don't even bother to see it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 am

Green lantern's midnight figures are in:
http://m.deadline.com/2011/06/green-lantern-makes-3-35m-midnights/
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Hmm. Guess this is what happens when I don't check my information before shooting my mouth off.

According to the LA Times, GL had a production budget of $200 million.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/03/warners-green-lantern-marketing-campaign-delayed-by-effects-work.html

That's hardly chump change but at the same rate it's also a long way off from $300 million. However, Box Office Mojo (as of this writing) hasn't yet posted the budget for the movie.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm

Even so, I find the LA Times to be reputable enough to trust in this matter.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Nice find there colors on production cost and all that. Hopefully wb can make a profit off the film here and internationally.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 pm

More box office numbers:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-green-lantern-202992
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:25 am

webhead2006 wrote:More box office numbers:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-green-lantern-202992
Yep. Again, that page cites the $200 million figure. So maybe I should retitle this thread.

Interesting how Green Lantern LOOKS like it cost $200 mill. I can think of a certain BJ Blandon movie budgeted at over $200 million that looked closer to $80 to $100 mill. As ever, Bryan Singer, take note.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:58 pm

How are things looking?

Budget: $200 mill (Box Office Mojo now shows this figure)
Domestic: $52,685,000 (opening weekend)
Foreign: $17,000,000
Worldwide: $69,685,000
URL: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm

So. A $52 million opening on a standard weekend. To put that into perspective, Singerman did, what, $85 mill on it's five day opening weekend. You tell me which is worse (three guesses, but you'll only need one). Gotta wonder if GL is going to be a huge hit though.

I have no idea why GL's taken such a critical beating. You want overly-expository dialogue? Go back and watch Batman Begins. Dialogue like that is about as subtle as a jackhammer. Maybe my standards are messed up but compared to BB, GL borders on Shakespeare.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Its ok opening wekend figures. But also isn't it not out in alot of inetnational markets too right? Hopefully the numbers do well over time. But probably will be crushed next two weeks with cars 2 aand then tf 3. Hopefully once more international markets get it will do better. It does suck it wasn't a better film. But for me I still don't think its the wrost ever.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Its ok opening wekend figures. But also isn't it not out in alot of inetnational markets too right? Hopefully the numbers do well over time. But probably will be crushed next two weeks with cars 2 aand then tf 3. Hopefully once more international markets get it will do better. It does suck it wasn't a better film. But for me I still don't think its the wrost ever.

The "international market" won't decide ANYTHING. The numbers are in, and they are NOT good.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:59 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:How are things looking?

Budget: $200 mill (Box Office Mojo now shows this figure)
Domestic: $52,685,000 (opening weekend)
Foreign: $17,000,000
Worldwide: $69,685,000
URL: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm

So. A $52 million opening on a standard weekend. To put that into perspective, Singerman did, what, $85 mill on it's five day opening weekend. You tell me which is worse (three guesses, but you'll only need one). Gotta wonder if GL is going to be a huge hit though.

I have no idea why GL's taken such a critical beating. You want overly-expository dialogue? Go back and watch Batman Begins. Dialogue like that is about as subtle as a jackhammer. Maybe my standards are messed up but compared to BB, GL borders on Shakespeare.

Here's a comparison, and it should say all that needs to be said:

'THOR' had an opening weekend of $65.7 million dollars, and has topped-out at $176 million domestically. It ALSO had much more positive reviews, and was a much better film to boot.

'Green Lantern' has stumbled out of the gate, and there are no second chances for it. Too much competition is upcoming for it to do what it needs to be a success.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Wow, it's BAD for 'Green Lantern':

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm

Domestic: $76,961,000
+ Foreign: $16,300,000
= Worldwide:$93,261,000

Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!) - Page 2 Larry-thomas-soup-nazi-autographed-photograph-soup-inscription-3367076
"No sequel for you!"
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Shit. You know what this is going to do to DC properties in the future, right? Fuck! FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Honestly, the GL movie is good. I'm not even a fan of most of the material and I enjoyed the film. I wonder how much of this can be blamed on the critics. You know, the same ones that drank the Singerman and TDK Kool-Aid.

The one bright spot is that the eventual JLA movie could possibly be used to spin off solo franchises since God forbid these character inhabit a shared universe. Of course, from WB's point of view, they have little or no economic incentive to even make a JLA film (shared universe or not) so that's probably a moot point now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:19 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Shit. You know what this is going to do to DC properties in the future, right? Fuck! FUCK FUCK FUCK!

In a perfect world, it would force them to re-evaluate their decision making, and take responsibility for their own mistakes.

But this ain't no perfect world.

Honestly, the GL movie is good.

No, no it isn't.

I'm not even a fan of most of the material and I enjoyed the film. I wonder how much of this can be blamed on the critics. You know, the same ones that drank the Singerman and TDK Kool-Aid.

Nah, people could just see-through it's ridiculously dumb plot, and non-sensical action scenes.

Abin-Sur defeats Parallax, but just encases half his body in green crystals? I mean, all the technology they have and he couldn't put up a cell or anything to keep him in and people out? What, do they share security secrets with Singerman and his Fortress Of Suckitude? "Security? Who needs it?!?!".

Green Lantern chooses to place people in danger by putting a hot-rod around the crashing helicopter, and then have it run around a stupid "Hot Wheels" track instead of just putting a net around it or suspending it in mid-air? Really?

The Guardians refuse to send any Green Lantern's to help Hal Jordan, even after the "Cloud O' Doom" just wasted 10 of them? And then, they just show-up out of nowhere to catch him before he floats into the sun? What, were they watching the whole time and just decided to grab him for shits&giggles?

Yeah, good movie alright....

Rolling Eyes
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I find it funny how MARVEL can continue to have success with it's films, even with 2nd-tier characters, & a variety at that, but all WB/DC can have any true success with is BATMAN, & that's probably only due to Nolan. When Nolan does leave, they've probably seen a bad day! But in a few weeks I predict that CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER will also prove to be a box office success & a much-loved film! Yet on WB/DC's end, they're royally SCREWED! We can only HOPE that THE MAN OF STEEL delivers the goods because if it doesn't, they're really screwed! We can forget FLASH, AQUAMAN, JLA, & anything else you can think of. Yet by then Marvel will no doubt have out a film like DR. STRANGE or something else obscure that will rake in box office gold!

See anything wrong with this picture? The road that DC is on, for all we know, it could even be the death of comics as we know it?! Except for Marvel, of course.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 pm

non_amos wrote:I find it funny how MARVEL can continue to have success with it's films, even with 2nd-tier characters, & a variety at that, but all WB/DC can have any true success with is BATMAN, & that's probably only due to Nolan. When Nolan does leave, they've probably seen a bad day! But in a few weeks I predict that CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER will also prove to be a box office success & a much-loved film! Yet on WB/DC's end, they're royally SCREWED! We can only HOPE that THE MAN OF STEEL delivers the goods because if it doesn't, they're really screwed! We can forget FLASH, AQUAMAN, JLA, & anything else you can think of. Yet by then Marvel will no doubt have out a film like DR. STRANGE or something else obscure that will rake in box office gold!

See anything wrong with this picture? The road that DC is on, for all we know, it could even be the death of comics as we know it?! Except for Marvel, of course.

The post-credit scene in 'Green Lantern' vs. all the post-credit scenes in the Marvel films is all you need to know about the HUGE disparities in their films.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:

The post-credit scene in 'Green Lantern' vs. all the post-credit scenes in the Marvel films is all you need to know about the HUGE disparities in their films.

I still haven't yet seen the film but probably will very soon. Nevertheless, & I don't mind spoilers, just what is this post-credit scene about? And how would it have been better for a sequel & all of that? From what I'm reading on here, it sounds like they really botched this opportunity?! Neutral
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:54 pm

non_amos wrote:I still haven't yet seen the film but probably will very soon. Nevertheless, & I don't mind spoilers, just what is this post-credit scene about? And how would it have been better for a sequel & all of that? From what I'm reading on here, it sounds like they really botched this opportunity?! Neutral

Spoiler:

You have to understand that this scene was NEVER lead-up to during the film. In fact, the OPPOSITE is true.

This was the director saying "Hey, let's throw something in for those idiot fanboys so they will think our film is da bomb yo! Who gives a shit if it makes sense or not, those fat basement-dwelling morons will eat it up!".
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 am

Sucks the film has dropped so much. I did enjoy it as I said in my review. It does suck that dc can't get on the right page like marvel studios is. I still hope they wont just drop any other second tier charactes cause of this.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Green Lantern (2011)
Domestic: $101,962,000
+ Foreign: $33,300,000
= Worldwide:$135,262,000
In Release: 17 days / 2.4 weeks

Transformers 3 made $94 million this weekend alone.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Well, in the week since I last posted in this thread, 'Green Lantern' has made a whopping $8 million more dollars.

Green Lantern (2011)
Domestic: $109,709,000
= Worldwide:$143,009,000

Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!) - Page 2 Fail2-cheers
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Well, in the week since I last posted in this thread, 'Green Lantern' has made a whopping $8 million more dollars.

Green Lantern (2011)
Domestic: $109,709,000
= Worldwide:$143,009,000

Green Lantern box office thread (not for the faint of heart!) - Page 2 Fail2-cheers
I don't know how the hell I missed this post but HOLY CRAP!!! Unbelievable!

I don't care what anybody says, I think the movie was better than this.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 pm

I have to agree. I don't understand myself how this happened?! Maybe it's WB/DC because with a doubt if Marvel had made the film it'd have been a success! I mean, Harry Potter crushed it in what, one day?! Or one weekend?! Even Transformers 3 & I know that's 'popcorn entertainment! Maybe like you said previously, the general public just didn't buy into GL & even if the film had been better made, it still might not have made any difference? Maybe, maybe not. I'd still like to think if WB had taken more time with the project & not simply have been in a race with Marvel, that it might have made a difference. More practical effects, better script, possibly even a better cast & director. Like I said, Brian Austin Green had previously expressed interest in GL but was apparently denied. He actually might have been better than Reynolds. Not because he's necessarily a better actor but moreso for that 'unknown' quality like Henry Cavill. Sure, he's not really totally unknown but just like with Chris Hemsworth as Thor, it'd probably have been a better choice because Ryan Reynolds is too well known. Just thinking out loud.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:44 pm

^ I had no idea how appropriate this thread title would end up becoming when I gave it this name. Yeesh!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next