Here's The Problem, In My Opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Here's The Problem, In My Opinion

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:03 pm

With this whole DC "reboot/reintroduction/let'sshitalloversuperman", I got to thinking about just how small the "talent pool" is in the comic book industry and how THAT might be leading to it's eventual downfall.

Right off the bat I will admit I don't buy comic books, and haven't in quite a while. But just because I don't, doesn't disqualify me from forming an opinion, especially when it is so obvious. Until the two major publishers decide to change THEMSELVES, and NOT their characters, they will be stuck exactly where they are.

What's the biggest issue?

The small number of writers that are allowed to handle the major characters for either company just feed off of, and regurgitate, everything that has come before. They get so used to things being a certain way that they can no longer think outside the box, and start blaming the tools for their own shortcomings.

It's not the fact that DC just re-uses and re-hires the same people to write and draw Superman. Nope, it's got to be him and his stupid 70+ year old costume. It has nothing to do with DC hamstringing others who want to tell GOOD Superman stories with him looking and acting exactly like he is supposed to. No, it's just "too hard" to come up with good stories for someone who is just "too powerful". I mean, it's just SUPERMAN. Who is going to care about him when we have JIM MUTHAFUCKIN' LEE giving him a collar and some cool 90's boots??

It's time for DC at least to give people from outside of their tiny little circle a chance to pitch stories to them. And I don't mean some stupid "Get A Chance To Draw Or Write Your Favorite DC Comics Character" contest. That's pandering bullshit. What I mean is allow people to pitch them story ideas and artwork at conventions. Do it on the down-low, but in a way people KNOW what is going on. With the interwebs being so big these days, word is going to spread. Let some professional writers and "fanboys" alike try and show you just how much people CARE about these characters.

And stop blaming Superman, or the people buying your books, for YOUR shortcomings.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Here's The Problem, In My Opinion

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 am

I think what you're saying is absolutely true but at the same time it's symptomatic of how small the industry in general is. Circulation is low and ain't getting any higher. That means fewer creators. Sure, DC is shooting itself in the foot by essentially allowing Geoff Johns to have utter free reign and remake the universe in his own image. When you've got one guy coming up with all the concepts (and his big idea is "everything that's ever happened exists in continuity RIGHT FREAKING NOW, no matter how illogical it seems"), you're going to have the most boring universe ever.

Marvel at least has the foresight to let Bendis run with the baton for a while, then Mark Millar, then Matt Fraction, etc. Different perspectives, fresh ideas, new angles, etc. Not arguing they've done everything right (I'd never make that claim), I'm just saying they're doing the job better than DC is in most cases.

If the sales figures were higher across the board, I think both companies would feel more comfortable expanding their labor pool. But when you're in a shrinking industry, the conventional wisdom is that you shrink your work force.

thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:34 am

Actually, if you are REALLY looking to cut-back, you hire CHEAP labor and cut out some of the fat salaries you already have. Seriously, with my idea you won't be giving out high-value exclusive contracts right out of the gate. If the persons ideas are a hot, then you re-negotiate. Not automatically offer them six figures because they are a "name".

But I don't own DC Comics, and after what they have done, I won't be buying their product anytime soon either.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top