Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Things 'Smallville'

+5
thecolorsblend
Father Finian
webhead2006
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Empty Re: All Things 'Smallville'

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Ya wb promos where way better. Cw at times have had crappy ones. But as we know cw has never really cared for the show that much.
I don't know about that. AFAIK, other CW shows have similar types of promos. I remember Veronica Mars having similar promos during its third season (which was on the CW). It's the style that's changed, not so much the attitude regarding the show. I can't imagine one type of promo requires substantially more time, effort or money than other. If so, my hunch is that it's a house style... and just not one I really care for.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Put this slideshow together centering on a really cool bit of music from 6.11, Justice. Hope you guys dig it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat May 07, 2011 12:28 am

here is a funny thing i found. What if smallville characters were on the simpsons:
http://springfieldpunx.blogspot.com/search/label/Superman
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Lex-Luthor-1
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Lois-Lane-4
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Clark-Kent-7
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Clark-Kent-6
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Green-Arrow-Oliver-Queen-5
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Green-Arrow-Oliver-Queen-1
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Tess-Mercer-3
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Chloe-Sullivan-4
All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Superman-TV-Smallville-Lana-Lang-3
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat May 07, 2011 6:36 am

These aren't criticisms so much as minor nitpicks. Nothing is perfect in life and, lest I be accused of being an apologist for SV, here are some things I think could have been done better.

One thing I wish we'd seen from the show is more of castmembers from other adaptations making cameos. I mean, seriously, what's Tim Daly up to these days? Or Gerard Christopher? Or Justin Whalin? It's not like this was ever a deal-breaker for me, it just would've been nice to other adaptations represented, that's all.

Likewise, a Bruce Wayne guest appearance would've been nice too. I understand why it never happened, it's the kind of fucked up corporate decision that happens all the time that nobody can ever make sense of, it's not from any lack of effort from the showrunners, etc. Still. I would've wanted to see this. I mean, WB was this close to giving us Armie Hammer in a Batman costume for the summer of 2009 but we can't get a maskless Bruce Wayne in SV? Does that make sense to anybody?!

I was never crazy about (or invested in or convinced by) the Oliver/Chloe thing. I just never saw wtf they were doing together. I guess romantic pairings are the nature of this type of TV, you've gotta have something going, but it felt like there was more juice to be had from Oliver/Tess stuff. I mean, Chloe was married to Henry James for a brief time, they were together even longer before that, you'd think she'd wait at least a while out of respect for the guy, if nothing else. But nobody asked me.

Since we're on kinda shippy stuff, Chloe and Clark should've given it a shot in season 4. There's a reason Clark wasn't into her but it's never really developed all that much. As it stands, Clark goes pretty much from Lana to Lois (with a pit stop or two here and there). That transition is itself kind of hard to buy but it's also hard to believe that Clark would be "just friends" with Chloe all those years without something ever developing.

Although I'm not big on music videos, I do like the concept of visuals and music with little or no dialogue. SV did this a few times. The end of 7.01- Bizarro, 7.10- Persona, 7.16- Descent, 8.10- Bride and probably others I'm forgetting. SV did it well but I don't think they've done it for quite a while now. Wouldn't have been at all upset if we'd seen more of that this year, although I guess Homecoming kinda sorta had that going. A little. Overall though, this seems to be more of a hallmark of the Millar/Gough era than anything.

The show never specialized in long range continuity. Stuff from previous seasons was (usually) remembered and commented upon but season 10 was the only time we saw plots/episodes being set up in advance, and that only some of the time. Not a huge deal, really, but stuff like this is a reminder that the show was originally conceived to be episodic more so than serialized and, for whatever reason, never completely broke away from that original format.

That having been said, we never really saw a Freak of the Week in the strict season 1 sense after season 1. I always thought it would've been kinda neat to do an homage episode to those old season 1 plots in season 10. But obviously that didn't happen.

Actually, I'd gotten the impression that season 10 was supposed to be a kind of sequel to season 1. Lazarus, Homecoming and this year's opening credits (with all those season 1 moment reinstated) reinforced that. And that may well have been on the table at some point but, if it was, it seemed to have been abandoned after a certain point.

Likewise, it seems season 10 went in directions Peterson and Souders hadn't been counting on. Darkseid and his minions were set up as this year's Big Bad(s) early on but there came a point where the storyline seemed to naturally veer more toward the Luthors and the clones and everything. I'm not a writer and don't really do creative stuff but it makes sense to me that the story you start off with might somehow evolve into something other than what you initially planned. I don't hold it against Peterson and Souders that the clear and visible Luthors provided a more tangible threat than a shapeless, formless, silent villain; I just wish Darkseid could've been dispensed with earlier in the year so that the Luthor story could come into greater prominence.

Mind you, that may not have even been their fault. Who's to say the deal with Glover didn't come about only at the last minute when it was too late to revise the storyline up to that point? Certainly that's what happened with Rosenbaum, everybody knows that.

Season 4 is shit. So I guess this part really is a gripe. But I've never been hip to season 4. Apart from 4.01- Crusade, 4.02- Gone, 4.04- Devoted, 4.05- Run, 4.06- Transference, 4.07- Jinx
4.17- Onyx, 4.19- Blank, 4.22- Commencement, there's just not much to captivate this year. The season started off fairly strong but, once Lana got involved with her incomprehensible storyline, the whole enterprise went off the rails. Commencement was okay primarily for what it portended for season 5 but that's about the most I can say. I was pissed off about season 4 for years. Years. Talk about a letdown. On the other hand, season 4 is what allowed me to watch Singerman as objectively as possible... and it makes SV's 4th season look like Shakespeare. So maybe I should be happy, I dunno.

Plus, the flying sequence from Crusade absolutely blows the doors off any live action Superman flying sequence we've ever seen. And, again, it's a damn sight better than anything we saw in freakin Singerman.

As a budding Legion fan, I think a return appearance or two of the Legion would've been welcome. Still, Brainiac 5 played a crucial role in Clark coming to a place of acceptance about himself, his choices, his past and his future so I can't complain too much.

Speaking of which, James Marsters. Oy. I mean, on the one hand, I can't fault the showrunners for not giving the guy more material than his character(s) deserved. You can only call that smart storytelling. But on the other hand, the guy was just so much fun to watch that I would've been up for pretty much anything that brought him back to the series. Crying shame that we didn't see more of him. But then, he was all over the place in season 5 and popped up a few times thereafter so it's not a bad deal at all.

Anyway. Except for the season 4 thing, none of these are really gripes, just nitpicks.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Empty RE: Smallville Fans

Post  non_amos Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 pm

One thing I wish we'd seen from the show is more of castmembers from other adaptations making cameos. I mean, seriously, what's Tim Daly up to these days? Or Gerard Christopher? Or Justin Whalin? It's not like this was ever a deal-breaker for me, it just would've been nice to other adaptations represented, that's all.

Yeah, why didn't they use Gerard Christopher? Or John Haynes-Newton? Or Stacy Haiduk? Or the dude who played Lex on the Superboy TV series? What little I've seen of that series, I actually like, especially the Gerard Christopher episodes, which comprised seasons 2-4. Personally I just liked him better as Superboy. Haymes-Newton may have looked a little 'bulkier' possibly but I felt like Gerard looked more like the character and acted better. And like we've touched on in other threads, at one time he was being 'groomed' to take over for Christopher Reeve in the film franchise, which, to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have minded, especially if they'd gone with those Brainiac/Kandor ideas that I think Cary Bates had in mind? C'mon WB/DC, I have Season One of Superboy; Release the rest of the series already!

We can be thankful though that actors from 'Lois & Clark' were used, even if it was just Dean Cain & Terri Hatcher but hey, they were the main characters anyway! However, from the film franchise, we got Annette O'Toole immediately from day 1! Later we got the man himself, Christopher Reeve! I also remember there being talk of trying to get Gene Hackman. I think even Al & Miles were for the idea but regrettably, they couldn't afford Hackman. But would Hackman have even done it, even as a nod or an homage? I dunno. Would've been interesting. They did get Margot Kidder but Hackman would've been like the 'ace in the deck'.

Nevertheless I believe SV has done pretty well in its' casting. They had Terrance Stamp as the voice of Jor-El but I don't think they could get him to physically appear on the show but I bet Sarah Douglas & Jack O'Halloran woud've done it! Right now though I'm just wondering how JONATHAN KENT figures into the Finale? Is it flashbacks of him talking to Clark, possibly even 're-enacted', or is it 'alt-Jonathan'? Good question. One character though that won't making an appearance besides Lana? PETE ROSS! You blew it Jones! Neutral
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 am

Thought it might be neat to make a compilation of all the phone booth changes there have been in the show. Enjoy! Or not. Or whatever.

thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Speaking of the two superboy actors, whalin and other guys we didn't see on the show. Man it would have been cool to have gotten some more. But we did get some pretty cool former superman actors in the show.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 08, 2011 9:17 pm

non_amos wrote:Yeah, why didn't they use Gerard Christopher? Or John Haynes-Newton? Or Stacy Haiduk? Or the dude who played Lex on the Superboy TV series? What little I've seen of that series, I actually like, especially the Gerard Christopher episodes, which comprised seasons 2-4. Personally I just liked him better as Superboy. Haymes-Newton may have looked a little 'bulkier' possibly but I felt like Gerard looked more like the character and acted better. And like we've touched on in other threads, at one time he was being 'groomed' to take over for Christopher Reeve in the film franchise, which, to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have minded, especially if they'd gone with those Brainiac/Kandor ideas that I think Cary Bates had in mind? C'mon WB/DC, I have Season One of Superboy; Release the rest of the series already!

We can be thankful though that actors from 'Lois & Clark' were used, even if it was just Dean Cain & Terri Hatcher but hey, they were the main characters anyway! However, from the film franchise, we got Annette O'Toole immediately from day 1! Later we got the man himself, Christopher Reeve! I also remember there being talk of trying to get Gene Hackman. I think even Al & Miles were for the idea but regrettably, they couldn't afford Hackman. But would Hackman have even done it, even as a nod or an homage? I dunno. Would've been interesting. They did get Margot Kidder but Hackman would've been like the 'ace in the deck'.

Nevertheless I believe SV has done pretty well in its' casting. They had Terrance Stamp as the voice of Jor-El but I don't think they could get him to physically appear on the show but I bet Sarah Douglas & Jack O'Halloran woud've done it! Right now though I'm just wondering how JONATHAN KENT figures into the Finale? Is it flashbacks of him talking to Clark, possibly even 're-enacted', or is it 'alt-Jonathan'? Good question. One character though that won't making an appearance besides Lana? PETE ROSS! You blew it Jones! Neutral

I'll go you one better, and more tragic: Why didn't they get Jackie Cooper to make a cameo at least ONCE in it's 10 year run?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I thought he retired from acting in the 80's or 90's.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 11, 2011 12:57 pm

A shit ton of tracks from the show are available for download at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00508K3B8.

I'm a pretty big fan of the scores SV has used over the years. That said, I'm really not too impressed with the selection at the above link. For starters, it seems biased toward the latter seasons. With the admission that I haven't downloaded every single track available, I see some really obvious stuff missing that I would've wanted to hear- the Williams stuff from several season 2 episodes, the piano track(s) from Memoria, the hero music from Justice (partially included in that YouTube video I made up there), the Green Arrow theme and probably some others. I haven't been able to find the SV version of a Superman theme.

I'm judging something that I don't have complete access to but I really feel like this was a missed opportunity.

EDIT- I should add that a snippet of the Justice stuff is available on Febre's page so it's not like top quality, digitized versions don't already exist. Sad

Also, Febre has a cropped pic on the http://www.louisfebre.com/music.html page. It sort of reminds me of the partial Superman image we've been seeing in SV's promos lately.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed May 11, 2011 1:04 pm

i saw that too myself a little earlier. Havent checked out it though. Hopefully more tracks would be released.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 am

Hey guys i saw last night that kryptonsite has revealed the cartoon network show Mad magazine in tonights may 23rd episode airing at 830pm will include a parody on smallville.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Hey guys the mad tv parody ended a few mins ago. Was pretty funny. Was about 4 mins long. Will post yt clip of it later if I see it uploaded.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 2 Empty RE: Smallville Fans

Post  non_amos Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 am

non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 am

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue May 24, 2011 12:34 am

Sorry, didn't see that. I was basically following Webhead's post trying to beat him to it. Laughing
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 am

No worries. I did the same thing.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 pm

pretty funny parody.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  hillary Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 am

Smallville is really good show to watch...

hillary
Suspect

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Season ten dvd/bluray set up for preorder on amazon, also release date is nov 26th:
http://www.amazon.com/Smallville-Complete-Season-Tom-Welling/dp/B003L77GG0

?Urggh dam crap poster for cover.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:01 am

webhead2006 wrote:Season ten dvd/bluray set up for preorder on amazon, also release date is nov 26th:

What exactly do you have a problem with?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:55 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Season ten dvd/bluray set up for preorder on amazon, also release date is nov 26th:

What exactly do you have a problem with?

Could it be that the shadow looks like Singerman? BJ the Bartender photo-shopped to fit Welling? That would be my guess as to Web's complaint. Other than that though, not bad, but it is lacking color but that could also be intentional.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 am

well i was hoping for something a little more then this simple solo welling photo. it should have been clark/lois and maybe darkseid on cover, or something a kin to the season 8 cover. Then plus ya the dam shadow of routh.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:37 am

Season ten extras:
Unaired Scenes 10x02: SHIELD
10x03: SUPERGIRL
10x08: ABANDONED
10x13: BEACON
10x16: SCION
Commentaries 10x01: LAZARUS (Holly Henderson, Don Whitehead, Allison Mack & Cassidy Freeman)
10x18: DOMINION (Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders, Justin Hartley & Callum Blue)

Photo of back cover season ten set:
http://www.kryptonsite.com/s10dvdbackcover.htm
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:45 am

Seriously? They're not doing a commentary for Finale? I could give two fucks about deleted scenes. I'll never understand the fascination people have with them. I'd sacrifice every deleted scene in SV's history for commentary on Finale.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next