Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Things 'Smallville'

+5
thecolorsblend
Father Finian
webhead2006
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

All Things 'Smallville' - Page 10 Empty Re: All Things 'Smallville'

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 pm

As I have an active membership over there, I posted a reply. Anybody else from here want to join in? Smile
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 am

Ya know what? This is funny. This very week the thought crossed my mind about how duh apologists would've loved to have had a Singerman sequel comic like they're doing with Smallville. However, it wasn't really based on anything, just something that crossed my mind. And lo & behold they're actually devoting message boards to it?

PRICELESS. Laughing
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am

non_amos wrote:Ya know what? This is funny. This very week the thought crossed my mind about how duh apologists would've loved to have had a Singerman sequel comic like they're doing with Smallville. However, it wasn't really based on anything, just something that crossed my mind. And lo & behold they're actually devoting message boards to it?

PRICELESS. Laughing
It looks like it's mostly a bunch of mopey Apologists who are still butt-hurt that there will never be a Singerman 2 while Man of Steel is looking more and more like the kid to beat this summer. What can I tell you, I like twisting the knife, breaking it off at the handle and rubbing salt in the wound. But at least they'll always have their fanfic, daydreams and cryfests over old Routh press shots, right? Losers.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 am

I know MOS is on everybody's mind right now. And it should be. But my Superman-intake hardly stops. So...

Even before my girlfriend and I got together, we saw the finale together. It ticked both of us off that was the only episode we ever "shared" so we began watching the series from the ground up not long after we started seeing each other and have been trucking along (with fits and starts here and there) ever since.

Tonight, we started season 8. Man, this season really was a game-changer. Al Gough and Miles Millar, Kristin Kreuk, John Glover and Michael Rosenbaum all left the show. A huge portion of the show's conflicts and mysteries and plots and stuff revolved around those three characters. Plus, Gough and Millar created the show, wrote several episodes and Millar directed arguably the most memorable of Smallville's entire run.

On top of all that, it was originally supposed to be the show's final season (although that obviously changed).

Behind the scenes, they switched over from film to digital (which drastically changed the look of the show; I don't think it ever completely recovered) and the budget was cut substantially starting in season 8.

If you just look at the facts of what happened, the show shouldn't have been able to survive all that chaos and turmoil. Half of that stuff crushed other shows. To me, it's a testament to the strength of the Smallville concept that season 8 didn't kill the series.

Sure, maybe some episodes weren't everything they could've been but Clark took some major steps forward. He used to ache for a "normal" life. He did that a lot through the show. Season 8 showed him that he has certain things which only he can contribute and so (A) he shouldn't bemoan his powers and (B) he has developed an unhealthy attachment to his own past (although it would take season 10 to truly resolve that). At the same time, he also learned the necessity of adopting an alias if he wants to move ahead with his new life in Metropolis.

Season 8 gets a lot of unnecessary bad treatment (although I maintain season 7 is the most unfairly maligned of the show's whole run) and it's just too bad because there's season 8 has a lot of things to admire.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 am

I've just recently started watching the show all over again from Season 1. Some time ago, probably 2 or 3 years ago or more I tried to do likewise but only got to Season 3 & I don't remember finishing even that. A noble attempt that got derailed by life, sadly. Anyway, doesn't hurt to 'reboot' I suppose.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:09 pm

non_amos wrote:I've just recently started watching the show all over again from Season 1. Some time ago, probably 2 or 3 years ago or more I tried to do likewise but only got to Season 3 & I don't remember finishing even that. A noble attempt that got derailed by life, sadly. Anyway, doesn't hurt to 'reboot' I suppose.
Now that the show has wrapped, I recommend rewatching the entire series to anybody interested in doing so. You get to see the evolution of a lot of things- Tom Welling as an actor, the visuals (color design, costume design, effects, etc) of the show, character arcs through the entire series, all that stuff.

To be fair, Clark is a fairly static character for the first few seasons. You could argue he doesn't really begin growing and learning in a noticeable way until season 4 (which I don't enjoy very much but it does have some relevance) but I don't think he really needed to until then anyway as it was important that his and other characters be established during those crucial first three seasons.

I've come to understand that what makes Smallville work for me is that it takes the concept of Superboy and makes it really work. Apologists mostly use that in a pejorative sense but I've always been fascinated by Superboy as a concept. The execution has typically left me cold though because there really is nothing to distinguish Superboy from Superman apart from the location and supporting cast. Smallville at times goes to pains to show the difference between their "young Superman" and Superman. Smallville isn't necessarily always the "adventures of Superman without a Superman costume". It really does feel like Clark is experiencing things that will ultimately define who and what Superman is.

I love MOS. The more I think about it, the more I think Henry Cavill is rightfully this generation's Superman. He's the only guy who should've been considered for the role in MOS, period, end of discussion. But in my heart of hearts, SV will always be my favorite Superman adaptation and Welling my favorite Superman.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Episode 11.1- Guardian - Chapters 1-12
Episode 11.2- Detective - Chapters 13-24
Episode 11.3- Haunted - Chapters 25-27; 29-31; 33-35; 38-40
Episode 11.4- Effigy - Chapters 28, 32, 36, 37 (Martian Manhunter/Batman story)
Episode 11.5- Argo - Chapters 42-44; 47-49; 51-53
Episode 11.6- Valkyrie - Chapters 41, 45, 46, 50 (Lois Lane/Lana Lang story)
Episode 11.7- Olympus - Chapters 56-58; 60-62; 64-66; 67-69
Episode 11.8- Hollow - Chapters 54, 55, 59, 63 (Tess Mercer/Lex Luthor story)

So here we are. I've been digging season 11 so far. I sympathize with Bryan Miller a lot as he's having to piece meal his story even though he doesn't know how many episodes there will be this season. He has more variables to deal with than even the SV production team did. But his writing through the series has usually been first rate. There are some continuity quibbles here and there but nothing worth getting upset about.

I've really got two primary gripes with the comic book. First is the over-reliance on guest stars. I mean, I GET that the show ultimately evolved into an ensemble piece but at the same time this isn't just Smallville anymore; it's SUPERMAN. He doesn't always need a fucking guest star. He can carry a narrative on his own.

The other thing is the art. There are times when the art is top shelf. There are even more times when it's simply average. And there are a few times when it's just bad. They have a revolving door of artists and I think it's not working in the book's favor. There's got to be a talented artist out there looking for a regular gig. Batman Beyond has (or had anyway) Norm fucking Breyfogle so what's Smallville's excuse?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:54 am

There's an argument that this could've been posted in Kicking Singerman While It's Down but in the end it felt more relevant here.

Met Erica Durance on Saturday at a con. The experience was basically everything you'd imagine. She was beautiful, kind, graceful, witty, the whole program. She was friendly and chatty, she listened closely enough to ask questions back and actually converse and overall came off like one seriously cool chick. If you ever have the chance to meet her at a con, do it. Seriously do it. It's worth your while, guaranteed.

Not long after I hit up the Erica Q&A since the timing of it worked well for me and, again, she was funny and self-deprecating but at the same time you could tell she respected her craft, her audience and the legend she was the custodian of. Meeting her would've been enough for me but the Q&A really cemented it for me that she's my favorite Lois.

I compare this to meeting Brandon Routh. He just didn't have Durance's presence. She came out to meet us at her booth and, dude, there was just no mistaking how the energy of things immediately changed. Want a comparison? Brandon Routh came and went a few times while I waited in line with friends (they are the ones who wanted to meet him and I was determined not to be the asshole who ruined the experience for them) and the tone of the line changed not one iota whether he was there or not. Shit, for half the people there, Routh was just another name/photo in their autograph collection. The whole episode meant jackshit to them beyond that.

Erica Durance had FANS who dug her from Smallville and Saving Hope, listened to her anecdotes ("I did most of my own stunts when I first started because I was only set to do four or five episodes so basically nobody was too worried about me getting injured. You'll notice I do fewer of my own stunts with each passing season and that's because my role expanded gradually over time.") and other shit. She even marshaled the single best explanation for the depiction of Lana in Smallville I've ever heard. (A) It's the first time I've ever heard anybody connected to the series cop to The Lana Problem and (B) she doesn't justify it; she just explained it. "The writers fell into a pattern of writing Lana as a perpetual victim because Kristin played that very well and because it gave Clark dramatic material to work with. They became fixated on it beyond the value it truly offered to the series and to the character. It happens sometimes with any show and it happened to us. Nobody's perfect." No bullshit; just a fair explanation.

Night and day as far as difference as far presence, personality, sociability or anything else you care to mention.

And bear in mind, Durance is mostly a television actress. Yeah, I think she's had the odd movie gig here and there but fundamentally television has been her vehicle. Routh... well, I've talked enough about him.

How big is she on the con scene? To put it all in context, Durance held her own against the likes Norman Reedus, James Marsters, Laurie Holden and some other big con names. It's tough to hang with the big boys such as Stan Lee, William Shatner (who also attended) or those types of big ticket con stars so it's an unfair comparison to begin with but otherwise Durance punched her weight. Her line grew as the con progressed, which isn't unheard of but it's not terribly common either.

As I say, meet her if you get the chance. It's worth doing.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 pm

April Fool's- http://www.kryptonsite.com/news/smallville-to-receive-the-blu-ray-treatment-season-11-animated-feature

This is an April Fool's prank by that jackoff Craig Byrne from Krypton Site. He does idiotic bullshit like this every year. The difference this time is that this has a fair degree of believability to it because Smallville- Season 11 has been so popular. DO NOT BELIEVE IT. There's even a link to a Yes, you've been fooled [because I'm a dipshit determined to drive up the number of clicks to my web page that nobody gives a fuck about anymore but please click on the Amazon link to shop because I get [b]REAL cuts of those purchases]."

Don't believe it. No need to repost it. I'm only posting it to discourage anybody else from doing it. THIS IS A BULLSHIT "NEWS" ARTICLE WRITTEN BY A BOTTOM-FEEDING DOUCHEBAG.

That's as simple as I can make it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:12 am

Did duh Eunuch pull his usual crap this year? I briefly went to his site before work but I didn't see anything that didn't look real. Haven't checked it since. If he didn't, what happened? Did the BJ replacing Cavill jokes just get old or something?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:25 am

non_amos wrote:Did duh Eunuch pull his usual crap this year? I briefly went to his site before work but I didn't see anything that didn't look real. Haven't checked it since. If he didn't, what happened? Did the BJ replacing Cavill jokes just get old or something?
I think the Eunuch likes keeping his gags slightly plausible. Since everybody knows that Blandon is never coming back, the joke would be DOA.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Not sure if you all remembered this, but Tom Welling is in Costner's 'Draft Day' that opens this weekend:

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm

I could give a fuck about this movie to be honest but there's some kind of emotional content in seeing Clark and Jonathan in one scene together.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:16 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I could give a fuck about this movie to be honest but there's some kind of emotional content in seeing Clark and Jonathan in one scene together.

Just saw it today. It's actually not a bad movie, just came out at the wrong time of year I think. Much better suited for a winter release.

But Tom Welling isn't in it for too much more than what you saw above. He actually was pretty good though, and showed some decent acting chops. If he takes more supporting roles, and builds his reputation, he can have a pretty decent post-Smallville career.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Finally caught up on Smallville- Season 11 comics. The bulk of Chaos and most of Continuity. Continuity is one of the most meta stories I've ever read. Really enjoyable though. I figured that all the DC characters Superman had either been meeting or reconnecting with would play into the conclusion of the story and that sure looks like what's happening. At least I assume Continuity is the "season finale".

Makes me wonder what's in store for season 12. I assume there's going to be a season 12 because Smallville is one of the most popular books DC has in their arsenal right now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 am

This could've gone in the Eunuch Page Follies thread but ultimately it seemed like a better fit for this thread. So here it is.

Heh, I love this. The Eunuch page had a poll where the question of your favorite live action Superman TV show was the subject. The results would've been shocking by the Eunuch page's standards back in 2007 or 2008.

Eunuch Page wrote:Adventures of Superman
22% [21 Votes]

Superboy
2% [2 Votes]

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
28% [27 Votes]

Smallville
48% [46 Votes]

URL- http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=15610

My guess is that the Eunuch disassociating himself from the Apologists allowed more Smallville fans to join the page. The end result is the contest wasn't even competitive as Smallville opened up a can of whup-ass on everything in its path. And in case it hasn't soaked in for you yet, THIS IS THE EUNUCH PAGE! Makes me wonder what the prevailing sentiment for fandom at large must be these days.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:11 pm

Well that's what I get for being presumptuous, I guess.

Bryan Q. Miller wrote:I'll do a proper Tumblr post about it when I get home, but yes, #SmallvilleS11- and the series- will be concluding with Continuity

https://twitter.com/bryanQmiller/status/521381561451945984?s=04

But thank God there's a new Wonder Woman comic coming soon based on that shitty TV show. Rolling Eyes
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10