All Things 'Smallville'

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: All Things 'Smallville'

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Don't know if any of you ever found this but here's a sample.

K-Site TV wrote:15 Underrated Smallville Episodes Worth Watching

4.6 “Transference”

Quick summary: Clark and Lionel switch bodies. Prepare for slapping, insults, incest, four-barrelled guns and a prison riot.

Why it’s awesome: I wasn’t going to put an episode this early in the show on the list (the intention was late season 4 onwards) but this episode deserves credit for being such a standout, despite falling back on the old body-switch trope. While the use of the Kryptonian stones this season fluctuated between intriguing and confusing, in this episode we get one of our best peeks into what they were capable of and what the overall mythology could deliver. Clark-in-Lionel’s body takes quite a beating from prisoners and his liver disease, but he proves he’s got brains this time around. But Lionel-in-Clark’s body is what sells it. It leads to some downright creepy moments, including telling Lana he’d "pluck [her] succulent fruit," or sparking heat vision by hugging Martha–in her son’s body! Tom Welling manages to play Lionel at the height of his villainy, and it’s so much fun.

http://www.ksitetv.com/smallville/15-underrated-smallville-episodes-worth-watching/11433
Overall, I think it's worth reading. Cool little feature. Completely disagree with the guy about season 7 and the function it serves in Clark's development but I long ago concluded I'll be that season's lone defender so no big deal.
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Maybe I'm behind the times here but I found this and thought it was interesting.

Wiki page, re: Stephanie Brown wrote:With Barbara Gordon becoming Batgirl again after the events of Flashpoint, Stephanie Brown is no longer Batgirl. It has been reported that DC editorial has expressly forbidden the use of the character in any way, shape, or form, even in non-canonical stories, for unknown reason, despite several writers expressing interest in using her.
This could account for why she couldn't be used in the SV comic. I don't care much about Stephanie either way so I don't have a dog in that fight but this seemed kind of strange to me. Anyway...
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:21 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Maybe I'm behind the times here but I found this and thought it was interesting.

Wiki page, re: Stephanie Brown wrote:With Barbara Gordon becoming Batgirl again after the events of Flashpoint, Stephanie Brown is no longer Batgirl. It has been reported that DC editorial has expressly forbidden the use of the character in any way, shape, or form, even in non-canonical stories, for unknown reason, despite several writers expressing interest in using her.
This could account for why she couldn't be used in the SV comic. I don't care much about Stephanie either way so I don't have a dog in that fight but this seemed kind of strange to me. Anyway...

I read on some forum somewhere that Dan Dildo HATES the Stephanie Brown character, and he forbid her being used.

Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I read on some forum somewhere that Dan Dildo HATES the Stephanie Brown character, and he forbid her being used.
Shouldn't surprise me even if it is completely illogical. She's a fan favorite, she had a following of supporters and had started gaining ground as the legitimate Batgirl of the DCU. I like Cassandra Cain but the nature of these things is to change... or maybe regress in Babara's case. It's just exemplary of how things are at DC. Barry is the Flash, Hal is Green Lantern, the JSA is back on Earth 2, Babs is Batgirl, Jason Todd is back, on and on. The 2000's seemed to be about DC undoing the 90's. The 2010's seems to be about DC undoing the 80's.

But whatever.

Bryan Q. Miller to TV Guide wrote:As the Smallville Season 11 comic book begins its third arc the story is about to speed up — literally. Clark Kent's old friend and teammate Bart Allen, aka the lightning-fast hero Impulse, makes his debut in the digital series in this Friday's chapter. And DC Comics has plans to expand the series, a top-selling title in both digital and print.

The new arc, "Haunted," will explore the origins of Bart's ability to run at super speed. "There's something that has been haunting Bart for some time, some baggage he's been carrying," says writer Bryan Q. Miller of the title. "Everyone in our story is being haunted — physically, metaphorically — by some element of their past."

When Bart first appeared in the TV show's fourth season episode "Run," he told Clark there was an accident and "this huge flash of light" that gave him his turbo charge. "For the first time ever we head-on address how Bart got his powers," says Miller, who was also a writer on the TV series. "Perhaps there was more to it than possibly even Bart knows."

"Haunted" will have more direct connections to the television show than Season 11's earlier stories. "It's the first time we are relying heavily on previous Smallville series history," Miller says. "This arc has many more roots in specific episodes and mythology from the series." It also continues Chloe's quest to learn more about her dopplegänger from the parallel universe of Earth 2, as well as Lex's attempts to fill in the blanks of his amnesia.

"So industrious was Lex at covering his own tracks, that he hid the information from himself," Miller says. He's been harassed by his subconscious memory of his half-sister Tess, who he killed in the TV finale just as she drugged him with a mind-erasing drug. "Tess' memories are that last bastion of him. This is his last desperate attempt to find out the man he was before the amnesia, and also to find out what she knows — that he presumably also knew — about Superman."

Smallville Season 11 is published digitally three Fridays a month (and later collected in print editions). Starting Friday, Jan. 4, a new series of parallel adventures will be published digitally on the title's off-week. The first arc, "Effigy" features a team-up with John Jones, aka the Martian Manhunter (another recurring guest star on the TV show), and Batman, who made his Smallville universe debut in Season 11's most recent storyline. "These are stories that will help fill in the rest of our world while Clark is busy on his main adventure," Miller says. "The first four off-weeks will be 'Effigy.' It gives everyone a chance to keep that Smallville machine rolling every week."

URL- www.tvguide.com/News/Smallville-Season-11-Comic-Book-1057735.aspx
Try though I might, I can't find anything wrong with any of that, particularly the stuff I've bolded.

And yet it's the bolded stuff that has set some of the Eunuch page knuckle-draggers off.

Apologist assholes wrote:#1 | tullmann on December 13, 2012 3:28pm EST
I'm kind of wanting them to actually say Bart's from the future, which would allow Barry to be Flash. Not that I dislike Bart, I just really like Flash.

#2 | borikua on December 13, 2012 3:39pm EST
When the original Flash died during the first Crisis. He transcended time and space and somehow had a hand in other Flashes being created. Including himself. Im hoping we get a nod to that here. That Barry actually crossed multiverses and gave Bart his abilities. Or at least something to that effect.
These idiots don't seem to understand that, names aside, what we're basically seeing with the SV Bart is a Barry/Wally/Bart hybrid. Mostly Wally, I'd say. The reason is because Gough + Millar couldn't get the rights to any other speedster so they went with Bart. But it's superficial. He's mostly Wally. But all these idiots know is names. As these jackasses have no understanding of character, this stuff goes right by them. They can't get beyond the name. And then there's...

King of Apologist Douchebags wrote:#3 | One Earther on December 13, 2012 4:16pm EST
The interview refers to Tess as Lex's "subconscious memory." It does not appear to be a quote, so ok, but is that how any of you have been reading this? I'm not going to go back and look right now, but I'm very certain she is supposed to be actual consciousness residing in Lex's mind. Which I have not, as you probably know, been able to stomach.

I'm quite keen on Bart's return, though. Always liked the character (all Flashes, really, usually) as well as Kyle Gallner's portrayal on the show. Not too sure I'm looking forward to losing every fourth week off from the review writing for these "parallel" stories, though. Angry "It gives everyone a chance to keep that Smallville machine rolling every week," says Miller. Machine, Mr. Miller? Oy.
He's basically Neal Bailey's replacement as the web page's leading asshole (which is saying something on that site). He reviews the SV Season 11 comics specifically to piss all over them much like Bailey reviewed SV only to piss on it from about season 4 onward. And now he's whining that he'll have more stuff to review thanks to the John Jones/Batman feature.

Basically SV is doing so well that there's yet another expansion going on. Season 11 has been popular so now they're adding a backup feature to it so that each week will have some new SV content coming down the pipeline. These Apologists, still butt-hurt over the Killed In Action Singerman sequel, are pissed that SV is getting yet another extension while Singerman remains one and done. So of course their king has to lead the whining brigade's charge.

You guys remember when Season 11 was announced that the Apologists voiced hope that Singerman could likewise be continued in comic form (not realizing that ship had sailed back in 2008)? And that once reality settled in, they again had to content themselves with potshots from the peanut gallery? Obviously nothing has changed. I remember MostPowerfulSolarisGazer bitched about that very thing on some forum somebody found. "Waaaaaah, why can't [Singerman] have gotten a spinoff comic?!" Of course, we all know that'd be the first comic book she ever read (besides maybe Dylan Dog or Scott Pilgrim).

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=12242#comments
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:30 am

On the other thread Puncher posted the clip I brought up with a vision of Superman's future being infinite, with the glimpse of his cape. I liked the episode, but I thought S1's "Hourglass" was the better episode. This is one of the few reason why:

The little hints of what's to come with Lex such as the glove, the Oval office, ect, and the nightmarish imagery of what he brings to the world. Then cut to the old woman's face that looks like she saw something horrifying and died. I remember how that moment sent shivers down my spine and while I always found Mark Snow's score to be largely wallpaper music, his approach works here like gangbusters. Episodes like that did much more for me than an arbitrary appearance of some DC character.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:59 am

When the show first started, I thought stuff like that was about the closest we'd get to seeing the usual Superman mythos. Everything would be vague and undefined. No regrets about how things turned out, of course, but I do like the tone of that first season quite a bit.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, I liked that in the early seasons the mythos was used very sparingly and in a way that made them more special when they happened.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Comixology wrote:Favorite Digital First Series
Winner:
Smallville: Season 11

Honorable Mentions:
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
Edison Rex
Marvel Infinite Comics
Ame-Comi Girls

URL- http://blog.comixology.com/2013/01/04/2012-comixologist-choice-awards-winners-circle

Read 'em and weep, Apologists! Smallville- Season 11 is the favorite Digital First comic while a Singerman tie-in comic has yet to see the light of day.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Btw, Stocks, I know this constant football-spiking is completely illogical to you but a lot of us never get tired of the constant poetic justice Singerman fans have had to put up with the past few years. That SV is top dog both in terms of reader preference and sales numbers is something worth bragging over in my book.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:56 am

Fine by me, I still have the DVDs of the early seasons (even the godawful fourth season), it's been years since I've popped them in, I may revisit them someday.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:33 am

James Stocks wrote:Fine by me, I still have the DVDs of the early seasons (even the godawful fourth season), it's been years since I've popped them in, I may revisit them someday.
You'd have to go a long way to find a bigger 4th season naysayer than me. But when I began rewatching the series a while back, I found myself enjoying some things more than I'd remembered. The season as a whole still basically sucks because the season arc is truly wretched (stones) but the episodes unrelated to that ("filler", the haters always called them) were quite enjoyable.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Ugh. Lana as a witch. What a terrible arc. I think the only enjoyable part of that whole arc was when Clark was put on a spell to party in his underwear, mainly because Tom Welling tries his best to make it funny by acting like he stepped out of a movie starring Jason Biggs and Sean William Scott.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Can't argue too much. But there were a few bright spots. Crusade, Gone, Devoted, Run, Transference, Jinx and Commencement are my high points of the season. Unsafe and Pariah... ugh! Forever has ironic value given what held Clark back through most of the series. The witch/stone stuff sucks (A) because it involves Lana way too much and (B) doesn't involve Clark much at all. The Teagues are clearly the Big Bads this season but Clark never really has any type of confrontation with them. He get sidelined in his own damn show! It's just unacceptable. Still... those first seven episodes I mentioned up there are solid.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:23 pm

I remember liking "Pariah" primarily because Welling did a great job and I liked the premise, but I do think the episode that came before with Alicia returning and drugging him with the red kryptonite was garbage and logically the following episode should have never actually happened. Agree with your choices, although I thought "Gone" was a very weak followup after the premiere.

It's funny how one of the new writers for S4, Steven S. DeKnight, did great work on Buffy and Angel but was for the most part out of his element for Smallville with few exceptional episodes, obvious ones being "Run" and seasons later "Justice" which were DC-centric, but his contributions with adding the supernatural aspects with the stones and witches didn't work at all. "Thirst" was probably the worst episode he wrote for Smallville.
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Since I'm gushing about SV lately, here's some more. Been watching a few season 10 episodes and I'm struck by how good they are. I admit, for a considerable portion of season 10, I sat around marking time with a lot of the episodes until the finale. But rewatching these SOB's now has been a real eye-opener. True, season 10 is as full of melodramatic SV tropes as any other ("you didn't/don't trust me", "I was/am trying to protect you" and other drinking-game fodder) but seasons 8-10 were crafted by WRITERS (rather than directors like seasons 1-7 had been) and it shows. The struggles, conflicts, character arcs, themes and other tricks of the trade are a lot more fleshed out and substantial as a result. Rewatching these episodes now, before you know it you're pulling for Clark to do the right thing, make the right choices for the right reasons and connecting the lessons he learns more directly to how he'll become (and be) Superman.

Also, continuity and subplots are more carefully developed this time out too. Clark starts experimenting with his glasses disguise at the end of 10.17- Kent and, sure 'nuff, he's still working on it and perfecting it in 10.18- Booster. Because Clark not having perfected the dual identity thing yet is the entire reason Booster Gold shows up in that episode. At the end of 10.19- Dominion, Oliver begins his search for Orion's bow. In 10.20- Prophecy, well, things get out of hand for him.

Certain parts of SV were only really going to be appreciated in retrospect, I always knew that, but it really is stunning how solidly the thing plays out as a whole.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm

James Stocks wrote:I remember liking "Pariah" primarily because Welling did a great job and I liked the premise, but I do think the episode that came before with Alicia returning and drugging him with the red kryptonite was garbage and logically the following episode should have never actually happened. Agree with your choices, although I thought "Gone" was a very weak followup after the premiere.
As far as preference goes, Pariah is aptly named as far as I'm concerned. Loathe that episode...

James Stocks wrote:It's funny how one of the new writers for S4, Steven S. DeKnight, did great work on Buffy and Angel but was for the most part out of his element for Smallville with few exceptional episodes, obvious ones being "Run" and seasons later "Justice" which were DC-centric, but his contributions with adding the supernatural aspects with the stones and witches didn't work at all. "Thirst" was probably the worst episode he wrote for Smallville.
Eh. I think it's a case where he couldn't rise above mediocre or bad material. Some writers could. There are memorable scenes in otherwise clunker episodes thanks to the writer. But if the concept wasn't already solid to begin with, DeKnight couldn't salvage at least parts of it the way others could. I do think he had a good lock on many of the characters though. And I'm willing to give a pass on Thirst only because the network mandated a Halloween episode and the entire crew acknowledges how horribly they executed it.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 am

Oh, something else. Sifting through bits of season 10 and one thing that strikes me is how much Souders + Peterson switched gears as far as plotting goes. Originally, Smallville was conceived to be an episodic series where, eventually, Clark would become Superman. Each episode was supposed to be more or less along the lines of what we saw in season 1. At some point, they moved away from the episodic approach to a more serialized approach. But the show was originally conceived to be episodic and it arguably never completely broke away from that.

Until, again arguably, season 10, where a lot of plots were set up in one episode and paid off later. In Savior, Lois gets an offer to leave Metropolis, she decides to leave Metropolis in Lazarus, she decides to come back (but not before accidentally acquiring that Isis artifact) in Shield, returns in Supergirl and gets possessed by Isis in, um, Isis. There are other things that apply too but I don't want this to turn into a 15-page post.

I never really had a preference about either approach but it is kind of cool how much was planned by the crew... which is something the Apologists used to criticize SV for so I wonder if they at least acknowledge that this was eventually addressed. Probably not because intellectual honesty isn't their forte.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:59 pm

One thing you saw a lot of in the Bronze Age was Superman kicking the snot out of regular humans when they deserved it. Clark was absolutely willing to do the same thing on Smallville, another thing about the show that really works for me.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 pm

This may be too long for this thread but it doesn't really deserve a thread to itself.

I have noticed that Smallville takes a lot of heat from a lot of people for inventing it's own continuity. And while it is true that there are instances aplenty where the show did it's own thing, my contention is that it did so no more often (and, God knows, to no worse an outcome) than other Superman media. Even some of the show's more outlandish ideas draw more from the comics than one might expect.

Now, I am not arguing that the showrunners took every single one of their inspirations from every single one of the comics mentioned herein. Except for one thing, which is so clear that I continue to be shocked that I'm apparently the only one who's talking about it.

But even if all or most of this stuff wasn't intentional, it still works to the showrunners' benefit. If their inspiration came from the source material... well, who among us will criticize them for that? But if we suppose that the majority of these examples can be chalked up to coincidence, it still says a lot that the writers, producers and other creators were dialed in to the characters enough that their stories have so much in common with these comic books. There's no down side to this for them.

As a corollary, there also isn't any way to argue that Superman comics haven't done a lot of what Smallville did. Perhaps the context is different, perhaps the comic book idea is superior to the TV show (or vice versa) but, intentional or not, the similarities are real, many and varied.

As much as anything, this blabfest is intended to get a lot of stuff off my chest about the whining about the show I've heard from a certain segment of the fanbase I won't mention... but if you consider yourself part of Superman fandom, odds are very good that you've at least heard of the personalities I'm reacting to and the web pages where they can be found. There seems to be a strange double standard where Richard Donner, Bryan Singer, Paul Dini and other creators are given license to do basically anything they want, wholesale reinventing entire concepts and characters from the Superman mythos in the process, but Smallville gets burned in effigy if it so much as pokes a toe out of line with what the comics are perceived to be. I don't mind someone not liking Smallville. That's hardly a crime. But if this is to be a comparison about which adaptations are most like the comics (and thus which are most "valid"), let's apply the same standard to all adaptations. I'm not asking to be the guy who picks the criteria; I simply want the same criteria applied equally. We'll sort the "winners" and "losers" out after that.

-- Evil Version of Superman
Clark Luthor received a lukewarm greeting when promos for 10.10- Luthor. The one mitigating factor seems to be his alias of Ultra Man as even a lot of comic-illiterate fans recognize the name. In the Pre-Crisis DC universe, Earth 3 was effectively a mirror world of Earth 1. Earth 1's heroes were Earth 3's villains, Earth 1's villains were Earth 3's heroes, etc. So Clark Luthor adopting that moniker has helped somewhat.

Still, you're left with the fact that an alternate universe Kal-El is raised by a Luthor. But, believe it or not, the general concept of Kal-El being raised in a domain of evil and villainy isn't completely isolated to Smallville. In DC's 80 Page Giant #1 from 1964, there's a story about a duplicate of Earth 1's Superboy being raised by criminals. He eventually adopts the stunningly original, completely non-cheese name Super-Menace. Normally, you would want to consign this story to old, weird, goofy Silver Age Superman stories, except that, as with Clark Luthor, Super-Menace eventually sees the error of his ways and turns over a new leaf. Granted, Clark Luthor and Super-Menace meet very different fates but their journeys and subsequent revelations have a lot of similarities.

-- Evil Doppleganger
Smallville has taken a lot of crap for not having a strictly traditional depiction of Bizarro. The main problem as I see it is that the character was promoted as Bizarro. That's helpful for marquee value but I've never found it to be a very accurate description. When you realize that Smallville's Bizarro is something of a mashup of the comics book Bizarro, the sand creature from Denny O'Neil's Kryptonite Nevermore storyline and Smallville's showrunners taking their own creative license, the influences and even the character motives become clearer. It's not simply that Smallville's Bizarro loved Lana every bit as much as Clark. The issue is that he wanted to take over Clark's life lock, stock and barrel. I'm not aware of that ever being a motivation for most incarnations of Bizarro but that was the sand creature's ultimate agenda, which dovetails nicely with how Smallville presented Bizarro/the final Zoner.

Even so, Smallville's Bizarro could be said to be an imperfect duplicate of Clark in that he is copied from Clark's DNA but is weakened by director exposure to sun light, energized by green Kryptonize and defeated by blue Kryptonite. Those all sound like classic traits of Bizarro to me.

-- Zod
Even now, there's a common misconception that Zod was created by Richard Donner for the movies and, no matter what, should be a SUPERMAN villain. But when you realize that Zod was created in the comics years before Superman: The Movie and that he first appeared in a Superboy comic book (Adventure Comics #283), his inclusion in Smallville becomes less objectionable.

True, Smallville set up a very direct rivalry between Clark and Zod (which was itself a product of the rivalry between Jor-El and Zod) where the comics largely didn't but if you're going to crucify Smallville for that, you need to be ready to do the same to Superman: The Movie and Superman II as well.

-- Costume
As with other things, Smallville has taken a fair amount of abuse for the pre-Superman costumes Clark wore through the run of the series. And to be fair, it is true that there is little or no precedent in the comics for Clark to wear a different outfit prior to becoming Superman. However, there is some history to the black outfit he wore through the ninth season. For starters, Jor-El wore a similar outfit during the trial of Zod, Non and Ursa at the beginning of Superman: The Movie. The implication is that Jor-El is acting as judge and, indeed, executioner in the trial. In fact, the director's cut of the film indicates that Jor-El, given his druthers, might've preferred real execution for the villains rather than eternal imprisonment in the Phantom Zone. So for the ninth season where Clark essentially becomes a Kryptonian vigilante, his all black wardrobe makes a lot of sense. Much different context, of course, but the idea behind the idea is logical.

Apart from that, Superman wore a similar outfit in Superman v2 #81 during the Reign of the Supermen arc and also in the TV series Lois & Clark.

So while the black outfit is hardly traditional Superman attire, it's not completely foreign either.

And no, I don't count The New 52 t-shirt/jeans pre-costume thing from Grant Morrison's run Action Comics as that isn't "precedent"; I've seen Smallville's fingerprints all over that decision since the day it was first announced. Smallville exerting influence over the comics isn't the same as the comics exerting influence over Smallville.

-- Powers
Smallville, particularly the first season, shows a Clark Kent that truly is a hybrid of what has been shown in the comics from the very beginning up through about 2000 or 2001.

In the pilot, we see a Clark with basically the Golden Age Superman's power levels (super speed, super strength and a reasonable amount of invulnerability), the Silver/Bronze Age Superboy's sense of responsibility and the Byrne Age young Clark's lack of a dual identity. In a very real sense, you can't draw a straight line to any single era of comic book lore for this particular iteration of Clark Kent since the influences vary so wildly. Even so, the whole enterprise rings true because it draws on so many different eras in the character's history.

Separately, one of Smallville's trademarks has been actually showing Clark moving faster than a speeding bullet in episodes too numerous to recount. This has long been assumed to be Smallville taking advantage of modern effects to demonstrate Clark's powers but that may not be entirely the case as Superman v1 #3 shows Superman moving faster than a speeding bullet from Superman's own point of view. It's not hard to imagine the trademark CG distortion and color trail the show employed substituting for the cruder motion lines drawn by Joe Shuster in that issue.

-- Smallville's proximity to Metropolis
Smallville has taken a lot of heat for situating Smallville so close to Metropolis. And to be fair, placing Metropolis in the state of Kansas is definitely unique to Smallville. However, fans have come to a pretty skewed understanding of the geography of the Superman universe. With Superman: The Movie, Donner established that Smallville is located in Kansas (while Metropolis is likely a surrogate for New York City). Beginning with John Byrne's Man of Steel reboot, that concept was canonized in the comics. Prior to that point, however, Smallville had come to be depicted as a suburb of Metropolis. The history of this is muddled at best but by about the 1970's, it was generally agreed upon that Smallville was in *VERY* close to proximity to Metropolis (as to the location of Metropolis, that's a completely different can of worms). This is made quite clear in The New Adventures of Superboy #13, where the Kent family will depart from Metropolis airport for a flight to California... which would hardly be logical if Smallville is located in Kansas while Metropolis is located somewhere on the east coast.

Point being that the show placing the town of Smallville so close to Metropolis is no great innovation on their part.

As a sidenote, fans have also generally made too much of the distance between Smallville and Metropolis based on Chloe's dialogue from the third season episode Truth, where she implied that it would take several hours to drive from Smallville to Metropolis. That is not consistent with earlier presentations of Metropolis in relation to Smallville, where it could be seen from Smallville if one simply reached a high enough altitude.

-- Superman meets Superboy
In Homecoming, the 200th episode of the show, there is a memorable sequence where young Clark meets a version of himself from the future. They snip at each other a little before Future Clark announces he is about to leave the building to put down a nuclear reactor explosion set to occur on the other side of town in mere seconds and orders Young Clark to go to the roof to rescue Lois who is about to be in a helicopter crash.

Again, this has precedent in the comics as Superman v1 Annual #1 shows a story where Superman is infected by red Kryptonite, which brings Superboy into the modern day. Superman and Superboy bicker even more than Young Clark and Future Clark through out the story.

-- Red K
Speaking of red Kryptonite, the third season episode Whisper shows Clark being temporarily rendered blind after an accident with green Kryptonite. The New Adventures of Superboy show Superboy being temporarily rendered blind after being exposed to red Kryptonite. Interestingly, in both of those Clark must wear glasses before making a full recovery (which is used in the show as a wink to Clark's future and as tragic irony in the comic book to jeopardize his secret identity).

Apart from that, Red K had made only sporadic appearances in Superman comics at the time 2.04- Red was broadcast. It was generally known though that Red Kryptonite had a temporary but powerful wild card effect on Superman. In the comics, that is. On TV though, it transformed Clark into the worst version of himself. However, you could somewhat No Prize this by suggesting that all Red K seen in Smallville might've come from the same source and thus could potentially have the same influence on him each time but Red K samples from a different source could bring out different behaviors, mutations, characteristics or whatever else.

-- Meeting other heroes/characters
There are enough examples of Superboy meeting other DC universe superheroes that my text editor runneth over trying to fit them all in. Nevertheless, there are several notable examples of Superboy meeting characters from his future.

Jimmy Olsen (Superboy v1 #55)

Hal Jordan (New Adventures of Superboy #13)

Aquaman (Superboy v1 #171)

Carl Draper/Master Jailer (New Adventures of Superboy #18)

Lois Lane (Adventure Comics #261)

Given the above, the idea of meeting younger versions of Green Arrow, Bart Allen, Cyborg and other characters seems like a small matter.

-- Season 10/Legends
Smallville's tenth season could be a subject worthy of a column unto itself but as far as story elements are concerned though, the main influence I've noticed is the Legends miniseries from 1987.

The premise of Legends is fairly straight forward. Darkseid bets the Phantom Stranger that he can get mankind to turn against superheroes. Darkseid then sends a few of his minions to Earth to make trouble, pick fights and generally cause a little mayhem. Brimstone beats the snot out of the Justice League while Godfrey that incident and others like it to whip up anti-superhero hysteria.

Darkseid's campaign is so successful that President Reagan issues an executive order banning all superhero activity pending the resolution to this current crisis.

As Godfrey leads an assault on Washington to take over America first and, later, the world, superheroes defy the law and rescue President Reagan from an armed attack, which prompts him to repeal his executive order banning superheroes. Later, Godfrey's power over his followers is broken by Robin and a group of small children, who act as a buffer/human shield between the hordes and Godfrey's mind control.

Darkseid never really takes an active role in this storyline. He operates primarily from the shadows and mostly uses subordinates to carry out his orders. His plan was to deny mankind their heroes, little realizing that he would only prove how desperately mankind will always need heroes to cling on to and give them hope. Ultimately, that's where his true defeat originated.

It doesn't take very much imagination then to draw a few parallels between that story and the broader arc of season 10. Some nuances are different. The TV show outlawed heroes by means of a new law rather than an executive order, it was repealed in a referendum before Clark becomes Superman, Clark defeats Darkseid's avatar and it was Superman who broke Darkseid's power over mankind rather than Robin breaking Godfrey's power.

Even so, the similarities are too many and varied to write off as coincidences. Even the concluding chapters of both Smallville season 10 and Legends are both titled "Finale"! Particularly, the seeds of Darkseid's defeat are very similar in both stories.

There has been some criticism of this season in general and the finale in particular for not doing a battle royale between Superman and Darkseid. However, not only is Darkseid's presentation in this season fairly consistent with Legends but it's also pretty true to how the character was often portrayed for several years in the comics. His characterization as a brawler is a relatively recent thing. Originally, he worked from the shadows, used avatars and minions to do his bidding while Darkseid himself primarily dealt in conspiracies and secret schemes.

The obvious inspiration here is Darkseid's original portrayal as a schemer rather than a front and center baddie, which is perfect for a TV show working with a limited budget.

This is not to say Darkseid isn't powerful. Obviously he is. In The Great Darkness Saga (Legion of Superheroes v2 290-294), his mere projection is powerful enough to beat the snot out of the entire Legion of Superheroes -- which, lest we forget, included Mon-El, Superboy and Supergirl in all their Pre-Crisis glory at the time. That's ridiculously powerful! But Darkseid originally considered physical combat beneath the dignity of a god, hence his reliance upon lieutenants to do the fighting and dirty work for him. But the fact that he is capable of manifesting avatars and astral projections was a clear influence on his depiction in season 10.

This is not to say that Smallville didn't somewhat innovate with the character. To my knowledge, he's never shown the ability to possess people as he was shown to do with Gilbert Godfrey in 10.03- Supergirl, raise people from the dead or care much about peoples' souls. Even so, his portrayal in the show is a lot closer to his original characterization than a lot of more recent fare.

Anyway. There's a lot more that could have been mentioned but I decided this is a good sample.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:24 am

Smallville- Season 11 #33.

Really enjoying Haunted in general but #33 (from the digital/weekly thing) really plays for me. We finally see Jay Garrick.

The standout thing for me was Smallville High's graduation day from 2005 on Earth 2. Basically, Clark Luthor shows up to offer his congratulations and best wishes by killing everybody. Gotta get rid of all the meteor freaks, you see. Gotta admit, that's a dangling plot I hadn't considered much from season 10 but you can't say it isn't addressed here, holy shit...
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 pm

http://www.ksitetv.com/smallville/booster-gold-the-legion-come-to-smallville-season-11/19614

No idea how this slipped by me but it seems it did. Just last week I was thinking how neat it'd be if Superman had another meeting with the Legion in all of his Supermanitude. And then this announcement comes down the pipeline. Booster Gold is supposed to be there too.

My hunch is that Kara will get tossed into the mix as well and the Legion will finally deal with the radiation thing that allows Lex to track Superman.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43904

An extended interview with Miller where he talks about Season 11, what's going on right now and a little bit about what's coming up in the future. I dug it a lot. One question I kinda wish had been asked was how long Season 11 is expected to go. A TV season is generally 22 episodes. But, as much as anything, that's related to timing and logistics, budget, syndication and other factors which wouldn't affect a comic book. So Season 11 could consist of six "episodes"... or just as easily it could be 30. Could be wrong but I don't think that's something he's talked about.

Found the link originally on the Eunuch page. The Apologists are, of course, taking the opportunity to whine and cry because they're still butt-hurt that Singerman isn't getting ANY kind of continuation while the Smallville comic is so successful as a spinoff that it's developing it's own spinoffs. They can frame their complaints however they want but that's how it always comes across as far as I'm concerned. Read 'em and weep, Apologist assholes.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon May 20, 2013 1:32 am

Deadline wrote:Tom Welling Suits Up For ‘Draft Day’
EXCLUSIVE: Tom Welling has landed a role in Draft Day, the Lionsgate-Summit and Odd Lot Entertainment football movie starring Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner and Denis Leary among a starry cast and is being directed by Ivan Reitman. Reitman’s Montecito Pictures is producing. Welling will play Brian Drew, a veteran quarterback in the crossroads of his career, in the story about a Cleveland Browns GM (Costner) who attempts to trade up for the first pick in the NFL Draft and save football in the city. Welling, the former Smallville star repped by WME, just wrapped a supporting turn in the JFK pic Parkland, and this one has also began shooting including during the real NFL Draft last month.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/tom-welling-draft-day-movie-casting

Meanwhile, BJ was at a con this weekend.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
Deadline wrote:Tom Welling Suits Up For ‘Draft Day’
EXCLUSIVE: Tom Welling has landed a role in Draft Day, the Lionsgate-Summit and Odd Lot Entertainment football movie starring Kevin Costner, Jennifer Garner and Denis Leary among a starry cast and is being directed by Ivan Reitman. Reitman’s Montecito Pictures is producing. Welling will play Brian Drew, a veteran quarterback in the crossroads of his career, in the story about a Cleveland Browns GM (Costner) who attempts to trade up for the first pick in the NFL Draft and save football in the city. Welling, the former Smallville star repped by WME, just wrapped a supporting turn in the JFK pic Parkland, and this one has also began shooting including during the real NFL Draft last month.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/tom-welling-draft-day-movie-casting

Meanwhile, BJ was at a con this weekend.

But he's a nice guy! Smile
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:This fits in the Eunuch thread too, but it's on this topic. Here is what some of the last, sad, remaining Apologists have been saying.

This 'mo is ESPECIALLY pathetic:
http://fortressofsolitude.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=superman&action=display&thread=8&page=89

crazy_asian_man
Re: The SMALLVILLE Thread
« Reply #2209 on Feb 10, 2012, 1:18pm »

Very true...

In Angel's case--- (and Superman Returns) there were a lot of unresolved threads.... there was next to none in the Smallville finale.

If the writing were god-like throughout the entire run of 'Smallville' I could see people running in droves (well, a tad exaggeration, but...) to pick this up.

The ONLY thing that excites me about this book is the thin hope that if sales are through the roof, that DC is motivated enough to launch a comic book sequel to "Superman Returns"- with whatever scraps and ideas that Singer & company had for that.

As an aside: Was the John Byrne ALMOST comic book adaptation of Superman II to comics ever get discussed here?

Yeah. 'Smallville' ended a few months ago, and already has a comic series announced. Singerman flopped out of theaters almost SIX YEARS AGO, and nary a word since.

Yep, this guy ain't livin' in the world of Denial....

Metallo
Re: The SMALLVILLE Thread
« Reply #2210 on Feb 10, 2012, 1:27pm »

Superman Returns needs a comic book continuation more than Smallville. Hell I'd rather see the REEVE continuity continued in comic book form instead of Smallville.

If DC published their own "Superman V" so to speak that was based on the Salkinds production (The Cary Bates script?) I'd snap that up in a heartbeat. Or how about letting Tim Burton do his Batman 3 as a comic? We got Frank Millers Robocop so why not?

While we're at it lets see "The Flash Season 2: the comic." Any of these things have many more possibilities. Smallville still has a fresh fanbase of die hards who haven't moved on yet that DC hopes to capture. Thats why this book is happening.

Made me laugh. How about you?

Just reread this. Still love it. Rubbing it in for Apologists never gets old.
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top