Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

+4
superman1938
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 3 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:33 am

They ought to put Jensen Ackles in a superhero film! I got a kick out of that eye-rolling above. I know he was on Smallville but I hated his character on there, at least watching it that initial time back then in what, Season 4? I'll have to re-watch that to get a 2nd look. What's ironic though is that if I'm not mistaken in the Fall of that year, SUPERNATURAL SEASON 1 started while simultaneously on the new season of SV, they were showing his pic as in 'deceased' like his 'mom' Jane Seymour. I naturally checked out Supernatural to see what it was about, even though I didn't like Ackles on SV, & then I fell in love with the show! Go figure!

As for the topic at hand, I just glanced at this particular threads' forum section & was slightly appalled at the negative Superman topics so close together. I mean, almost right under this crap about the 'new suit' is the thread about Superman renouncing America, & we were just discussing that recently! What negative news is next?! Superman drawn to resemble BJ the bartender?!

Earlier this year, until just recently, we were euphoric with all the film reboot news that was consistently coming our way. Now in the past month or so, we get NO film news but we are getting a bait of 'hate-inspiring' comics news, one right after the other! We're getting repeatedly 'piledrived' by The Undertaker so to speak, but translated to comics. Or we're being told to bend over because we're being screwed!

Just wondering what exactly falls next?! Evil or Very Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 3 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 am

i definately love to see ackles score a superhero movie.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:27 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:So it's OUR fault that this has happened, right?

That's what really shits me. Perhaps shareholders should demand DC comics employ some creative folk who appreciate Superman. The Superman we've grown used to and love after 70 odd years.......

The only glimmer of hope I can see is that hopefully Warners want the film to feature the traditional Superman. At least they've cast traditional characters, but again if the film is going to launch some new version of Superman my interest in it will not be very high.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 am

Father Finian wrote:
Apologist Puncher wrote:So it's OUR fault that this has happened, right?

That's what really shits me. Perhaps shareholders should demand DC comics employ some creative folk who appreciate Superman. The Superman we've grown used to and love after 70 odd years.......

The only glimmer of hope I can see is that hopefully Warners want the film to feature the traditional Superman. At least they've cast traditional characters, but again if the film is going to launch some new version of Superman my interest in it will not be very high.

We can only HOPE that the film will feature the traditional version of Superman & that it will also be mega-successful at the box office! Personally I hope the Toberoff parasite will be put in his place once & for all! Parasite? Heh-heh! Maybe PARASITE ought to be one of the villains in the reboot? To sort of 'parallel' what's going on in the real world with this franchise, i.e., sucking the life right OUT of it! See Parasite suck the life outta Supes on the big screen, then get on the Internets & see duh real parasites do it in real life! Then go over to duh Homopage & see those morons voice their 'seal of approval'.

As for a 'traditional' version of Superman in the film, I don't know if 'legally' they'll have to change that, but think about it. The 'classic' Supes is what the general public does know. We know how Singerman turned out. Surely 'the brothers Warner' don't want a repeat of that?! Until I hear otherwise, I'm counting on them to deliver the goods but things are getting so dry lately that now I'm resorting to 'searches' trying to find out exactly what is going on! Sad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Yeah, you sort of have to start worrying about the reboot at this point. It's weird too. I mean, I can deal with the reboot turning out horribly. I've got STM, SV, George Reeves, Fleischer, STAS and more comics than I'll live to read. If the reboot sucks, well, that's how it goes sometimes.

But for the Siegel shit to completely kill the reboot means that Singerman was our last chance for a real Superman movie... but instead of that, we got fucking SINGERMAN. It'd be the most significant in a long ass list of sins perpetrated by Bryan Singer in that wretched abortion of a movie.

If that's how things turn out, the squandered opportunity of making a bad ass Superman movie would easily become Singerman's greatest sin.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:26 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Yeah, you sort of have to start worrying about the reboot at this point. It's weird too. I mean, I can deal with the reboot turning out horribly. I've got STM, SV, George Reeves, Fleischer, STAS and more comics than I'll live to read. If the reboot sucks, well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Yep. I'll be bitterly disappointed but I'd rather rewatch "Lois & Clark" all over again than a new Superman that I'm unfamiliar with, especially if he doesn't measure up to the character we're all here for.

It all does start to make you wonder if that it may have been another reason we never got a real close up look at Superman in the SV finale. Wouldn't want too many people to have recent fond memories of the real Superman stepping up with a rebooted new version just around the corner.

It's all a bit depressing at this point in time......

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Once Doucheroff is removed as the Heirs attorney, and they reach a settlement, expect Classic Supes to come back. Trunks and all.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Once Doucheroff is removed as the Heirs attorney, and they reach a settlement, expect Classic Supes to come back. Trunks and all.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! For a similar 'retarded' move, just how long did NEW COKE last before they brought back COCA-COLA CLASSIC?!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Dan Dildo is a moron.

That is all.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Yea hopefully so ap. Any silly changes made can easily change again. It will be nice if the dam legal stuff get out of way so then things could go back to the right.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Someone is hypothesizing that this "reboot" is actually connected to this page from a recent JLA comic:

http://twitpic.com/561978

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 3 312467156
@Joe_Kach
Joe Khachadourian
AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1307239531&Signature=HzQzx6HNyTm8Y5HabsOS5B3RBEM%3D[/img]
Is this the secret to the upcoming DC Universe reboot..? #dcu
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Would be odd, what what the story about with that second earth?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:09 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Would be odd, what what the story about with that second earth?

It's not odd at all. In fact, it gives DC an "out". When, not if, this idea bombs, DC can say:

"Oh, that whole storyline? That was the REAL Flash interacting with the Earth-2 characters, not the REAL DCU! See how clever we are????"

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 3 Losers
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Haha ya easy way out.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Would be odd, what what the story about with that second earth?

It's not odd at all. In fact, it gives DC an "out". When, not if, this idea bombs, DC can say:

"Oh, that whole storyline? That was the REAL Flash interacting with the Earth-2 characters, not the REAL DCU! See how clever we are????"

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 3 Losers

Didn't Marvel back in the 80's try some 'New Universe' titles or something, but something that ultimately didn't work out? But I also believe those were different characters too?

Now watch DC hang themselves with their own rope! Laughing
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Ya know what? I notice something 'peculiar' about that image that the supposedly real Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman are looking at. If you'll notice, I'd say at least half the heroes present, actually more than half, are the GOLDEN AGE SUPERHEROES AKA 'Earth-2'. However, take another look. They look considerably younger than DC traditionally depicts them these days! As you know, even in CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS the 'Justice Society' were depicted as being old & decrepit basically. Even "Earth-2 Superman' had gray hair & looked old. Now, the heroes with masks you can't really tell but they're still 'drawn' with a 'youthful' look. The Hawkman present there is obviously the Golden Age version. There are also Golden Age versions there of Hourman, Atom, & Green Lantern. I think one of those characters is 'Dr. Midnite'? Or some such? The Spectre & Black Canary could also arguably be considered 'Earth-2' as well, but what's up with MARTIAN MANHUNTER? He even appears to be drawn with that 'Earth-2' look. And personally, I think the Superman & Batman in the pic are also the Earth-2 versions. I know, I know, the more modern Batman now uses about the same Bat-emblem as the original Batman, but look at Superman's 'S'. Although half-covered by a word balloon, what you can see of it, it appears to be like the Earth-2 version, but also look at his face, which seems to mirror that 'Siegel & Shuster' look as well. As for Wonder Woman , I assume likewise for her.

However, there are a number of SILVER AGE SUPERHEROES present: Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Flash, Aquaman, 'non-Ghost Rider' Firestorm, etc. But the heroes of both eras seem to be on the same Earth at the same time! While the real Supes, Bats, & WW look on. So just what is going on here?!

As you know, the Barry Allen Flash discovered Earth-2 back in the Silver Age by meeting his counterpart, Jay Gerrick. Back then 'Earth-2' was DC's attempt to explain why the newer versions of their heroes were completely different characters. So voila! EARTH-2! Even Supes, Bats, & WW! So what am I getting at? I haven't read this 'Flashpoint' but is this like, now DC is just simply 'retelling' the story all over again, albeit in a more modern setting & what-withal with their 'Crisis' mentality? That's what it appears to me that they're doing.

And it also leaves DC an 'escape route' if they feel the need to show their weasel tendencies! Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:54 pm

non_amos wrote:They look considerably younger than DC traditionally depicts them these days!
I'd like to amplify on some of this a bit, if I may.

However, there are a number of SILVER AGE SUPERHEROES present: Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Flash, Aquaman, 'non-Ghost Rider' Firestorm, etc.
Yep. But even there, Firestorm got redesigned even in the 2000's with a very similar but still strikingly different appearance. The version in that pic? A fairly modern drawing of the Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis versions. Same uniform, same basic character design, etc. I'm not the biggest Firestorm fan there's ever been so I'm the last guy to say for sure but you're pretty sharp in pointing out that this is a pretty clear restoration of the original Firestorm (as far as appearances go; obviously can't speak to the characters making up Firestorm).

Across the board, as you say, there's an overall Pre-Crisis vibe to a lot of those characters.

It brings up a few interesting questions. Is DC's intentions to restore (as a separate universe) the original Pre-Crisis continuity so that they can do whatever they want with the New Earth version? Perhaps merge the two together into some nightmarish hybrid? You could spin this a few different ways and still have a handy-dandy out-clause in case something wrong with the plan.

EDIT- I should add here that some other article has pointed out that DC hasn't used the word "reboot" in any of their publicity shit on this. Many people are interpreting this is confirmation of a company-wide reboot but I can't think of anything from DC people that confirms that. And if the plan is to restore the Pre-Crisis continuity... well, that wouldn't really be a "reboot", now would it?

I haven't read this 'Flashpoint' but is this like, now DC is just simply 'retelling' the story all over again, albeit in a more modern setting & what-withal with their 'Crisis' mentality? That's what it appears to me that they're doing.
A new comics store opened not too far from where I live so I swung by today to check it out. Figured there was no harm in throwing the guy some business so I picked up the first two issues of Flashpoint. The guy behind the counter is a pretty standard Geoff Johns devotee so of course he raved about the series thus far. I'm a Johns skeptic so I remain unconvinced, esp as I still haven't read the issues just yet.

And it also leaves DC an 'escape route' if they feel the need to show their weasel tendencies! Smile
DC is Fox. If something doesn't hit the right note immediately, they'll either retool or cancel that shit in a heartbeat.

I mean, Marvel? Dude, love 'em or hate 'em, their usual line is something like "okay, this is the direction we're going in now; either get onboard or else get your shit and get out."

I'm willing to cut DC a little bit of slack given how seemingly all things Superman are apparently up for grabs with the Siegel Parasite case, but even for matters unrelated to Superman or the Siegel Parasites, DC has this passive-aggressive retroactive continuity where they change a lot of shit up but they don't admit to it until much later. I mean, how the hell long did it take for Superman- Sucky Origin to come along? Two years or better?

Yeesh!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 am

It would be fun to see like you guys said if this revamp fails for dc to try and say oh this isn't real universe but just a side one and we go back to real one.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:40 pm

So I was just reading this news:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/06/dc-relaunch-george-perez-to-write-and-draw-superman-1/
what do you guys feel about this writer/artist doing superman?

Also I thought I recall reading last week that it was grant morrison taking over superman. I guess that was incorrect.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:12 pm

webhead2006 wrote:So I was just reading this news:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/06/dc-relaunch-george-perez-to-write-and-draw-superman-1/
what do you guys feel about this writer/artist doing superman?

Also I thought I recall reading last week that it was grant morrison taking over superman. I guess that was incorrect.
George Perez? Shit, that might get me back to collecting at least the title he does! He always struck me as a guy who GETS what Superman's legacy is all about. No need for any of that "reinvention" bullshit here. My gut instinct is to suspect that he'll do all in his power to restore the original version of The Suit. There's a history there that has to be respected no matter who's writing or drawing the character at any given time and if anybody is liable to understand that, it'll be Perez.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Fuck it, I'm picking up _Superman_ in September. Call me a sell out, easily-duped, a chump, whatever, it's GEORGE FUCKING PEREZ! I mean, NOBODY gets it done the way HE does. Even Phil Jiminez ain't quite there yet (but I suspect he will be some day). Plus, George's last run on Superman ended up getting interrupted because he had a crazybusy schedule at the time, and even Perez only has so much Pimp Juice to go around. So coming back to Superman always felt like unfinished business as far as George Perez is concerned.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Once again this pukestain didn't link back to the original article so I can't link back to the original article. Even so, an interesting tidbit has finally been confirmed (or, actually, disconfirmed). The quoted stuff below comes from Bob Wayne, VP of sales at DC from a letter sent to retailers. Check out the bolded print.

Superman Supersite wrote:"We know that you want more details on the creative teams and their title-by-title assignments for the launch.

"And by the way, let me just reiterate this point: this is the launch of the New DCU. It is not a 'reboot.' I think you will soon discover why that is.

"We will send you an e-mail with more creative details next week, as a teaser in advance of the solicitation copy for Previews going live on the 13th.

"This is a shock to the system, no question, but we have the quality stories and the unrivaled sales/marketing support and the increased public attention to help you best absorb that shock and profit from it."

URL- http://www.supermansupersite.com/0606342.html

I do not understand fully how this is possible. My best guess is that the actual Pre-Crisis continuity will be resurrected (ie, the ORIGINAL multiverse). However, so much of that has been brought back into mainstream/current continuity that I don't see how this makes much of a distinction. Hmm. Oh well.

Food for thought.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Ya its confusing to hell what's what. Cause for example I was just reading dick is going to be knightwing again and his time as batman will be remembered, damien wayne is still robin and bruce will be the only batman now. And barbera will be batgirl again. So what the heck is this revamp right.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Ya its confusing to hell what's what. Cause for example I was just reading dick is going to be knightwing again and his time as batman will be remembered, damien wayne is still robin and bruce will be the only batman now. And barbera will be batgirl again. So what the heck is this revamp right.
I predict people going into conniptions over Barbara coming back as Batgirl. But I've always preferred her as Batgirl so I don't care.

I dunno, man. Obviously it isn't a reboot but it's not a continuation of the existing continuity either.

*sigh* In other words, it's what I feared: yet another neurotic relaunch with a mixed bag of rebooted elements and recurring elements.

Look, I realize that a full-on reboot would totally kill a lot of progress certain books and characters have made. Hell, it'd outright kill some books (Secret Six) that have nothing to reboot back to. Whatever. The time to cowboy up and do this is LONG overdue. DC's continuity has been a patchwork of nonsense ever since Crisis On Infinite Earths. Had COIE been treated as a company wide starting point and *ALL* books forced to reboot *THEN*, odds are good the continuity would be a *LOT* cleaner now! But now we have essentially the Pre-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes in the same universe as the post-Everything Batman, the neurotically rebooted Superman and who the fuck knows WHAT else?

Reboot the motherfucker already! Everything and everyone! C'mon people, let's get with it here.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:52 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Fuck it, I'm picking up _Superman_ in September. Call me a sell out, easily-duped, a chump, whatever, it's GEORGE FUCKING PEREZ! I mean, NOBODY gets it done the way HE does. Even Phil Jiminez ain't quite there yet (but I suspect he will be some day). Plus, George's last run on Superman ended up getting interrupted because he had a crazybusy schedule at the time, and even Perez only has so much Pimp Juice to go around. So coming back to Superman always felt like unfinished business as far as George Perez is concerned.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 3 Chump_bazooka
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next