Superman renounces American citizenship

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm

No joke.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/04/27/superman-renounces-us-citizenship



Fuck you, DC. Fuck you and the donkey you road in on.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Wow. What a "shock"......

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Wow. What a "shock"......
I feel especially pissed off because I bought that fucking issue less than an hour ago. The fucker is 90'ish pages long so it's not like there was a chance to read it beforehand. So now my money is supporting this globalist bullshit.

With all love and respect for our international members, I don't give two fucks what "the rest of the world" thinks, Superman is an AMERICAN icon. Period, end of story.

There simply are no words to express how completely fucking retarded this is.

I swear, the first Superman comic I've bought in years and this is the shit that happens.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:31 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I feel especially pissed off because I bought that fucking issue less than an hour ago. The fucker is 90'ish pages long so it's not like there was a chance to read it beforehand. So now my money is supporting this globalist bullshit.

With all love and respect for our international members, I don't give two fucks what "the rest of the world" thinks, Superman is an AMERICAN icon. Period, end of story.

There simply are no words to express how completely fucking retarded this is.

I swear, the first Superman comic I've bought in years and this is the shit that happens.

Good thing I don't buy comics.......

But now I will continually post images like these every chance I get:

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 pm

And this:


_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 pm

This too!:


_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Good thing I don't buy comics.......

But now I will continually post images like these every chance I get:
Those pics you posted? Tip of the iceberg, dude. You know it and I know it. There's a reason I use the avatar I do.

I'm sick of communists in the comic book industry. I'm sick of the left in general. Wish they'd go to Canada and fuck that place up, and leave Americans alone. Asshairs all of them.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Those pics you posted? Tip of the iceberg, dude. You know it and I know it. There's a reason I use the avatar I do.

I'm sick of communists in the comic book industry. I'm sick of the left in general. Wish they'd go to Canada and fuck that place up, and leave Americans alone. Asshairs all of them.

Doesn't it say a lot about the people behind the character when they basically say "Country X is allowed to dictate Superman's citizenship, and IDENTITY now"? That Superman is now "worried" about his "image" overseas?

Man, this country is going to get anally-raped in the future, and fold like Routh's knees when Singer demanded it.

Sad.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  webhead2006 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm

What the heck is this all about???

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Posts : 4344
Points : 4854
User Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:18 pm

webhead2006 wrote:What the heck is this all about???
It's about 9 in 10 comics pros being self-loathing commies who hate America.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  道 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:What the heck is this all about???
It's about 9 in 10 comics pros being self-loathing commies who hate America.
Why stop at "comics pros"? It's virtually the entire entertainment industry. Movies, music, TV, and comics.

...and the fact that DAVID GOYER wrote the story in question causes me to have GRAVE MISGIVINGS about the screenplay he wrote for Man of Steel.

Target
Target

Posts : 68
Points : 68
User Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  webhead2006 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Well I don't really care for this happening in the comics, and likely would change in a few months/yr down the road. Buts its a bit early to bash goyer/nolans script when we don't know what's going on with it. Plus really comics can do one thing and films can be totally separate. I doubt this little story for actions comics has anything to do with the movie script or effects the movie script in any way.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Posts : 4344
Points : 4854
User Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:19 pm

道 wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:What the heck is this all about???
It's about 9 in 10 comics pros being self-loathing commies who hate America.
Why stop at "comics pros"? It's virtually the entire entertainment industry. Movies, music, TV, and comics.
Primarily because the issue under discussion here is specifically comics. Obviously you're right in what you say.

It does make me wonder if comics pros, due to the number of issues published per year combined with a shrinking audience, are more prone to insert their political mental disorders into their work.

...and the fact that DAVID GOYER wrote the story in question causes me to have GRAVE MISGIVINGS about the screenplay he wrote for Man of Steel.
THAT is what I've seen nobody saying. I seriously don't think too many editors would have the mojo or the will to dictate content to Goyer because of his Hollywood stature. That would suggest then that this whole thing was his retarded idea.

Really, David Goyer is the one factor that always gave me pause about the reboot. I feel reasonably mollified on the other folks involved but I fear another "truth, justice, all that stuff" line and/or the manifestations of that worldview being forced onto Superman. It didn't work with Singerman and there's no reason to think it'll work here.

In fact, I think it's a sad commentary on society that nobody can accept Superman as he is without making all sorts of ridiculous changes to his psychology or whatever else. When people can no longer believe in doing the right thing for the right reasons... that's scary!

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  webhead2006 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 pm

On the matter of superman renouncing citizenship didn't the same thing happen with captain america back in 80s. Checking on wiki its when he donned the nomad identity and which only lasted a short time. I don't see why this couldn't be same deal. The comics are always doing these things for the shock value right? And then down the road things go back to the status que to next shock value deal?

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Posts : 4344
Points : 4854
User Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

webhead2006 wrote:On the matter of superman renouncing citizenship didn't the same thing happen with captain america back in 80s. Checking on wiki its when he donned the nomad identity and which only lasted a short time. I don't see why this couldn't be same deal. The comics are always doing these things for the shock value right? And then down the road things go back to the status que to next shock value deal?
People keep coming back to that, oy.

Okay, been forever since I read that storyline (and I was never a big Marvel guy to begin with), but Cap didn't just renounce citizenship, he ceased being Captain America entirely. Get it? He was abandoning the Cap identity completely.

The equivalent storyline for Superman would therefore be him abandoning being Superman and, perhaps, briefly operating under some other name.

The Cap story was just a story; it wasn't intended to be a statement about the character beyond that and it wasn't intended to last forever. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time until Cap was back in his rightful place.

The Action Comics thing is different in that it professes to be a statement about Superman's character. This is a backup story in an anniversary issue (I'll come back to that momentarily). To my knowledge, it's not the beginning of The Next Big Event. And to be fair, it may be a storyline that future writers either eliminate or else ignore. I'm certainly willing to consider that. This could all lead to absolutely nothing.

But either way, you can't draw a straight line between this thing and the Cap storyline.

As to it being an anniversary issue, forgive me, DC must've had some idea what would happen here. You don't put a story like this in an anniversary issue unless you want the mainstream to notice. They could've put this back up story in any number of other Superman books. But they chose Action Comics #900 specifically because of the attention it was guaranteed to attract.

All this to say that I'd better not hear a fucking peep out of Dan DiDio or Matt Idelson claiming people are overreacting here. No, we're not overreacting, motherfuckers, I'd say we got your message loud and clear; don't puss out and try to tell us it's "just another back up story". It isn't and wasn't intended to be.

The other thing is that this could just be Goyer sharing his views on Superman and DiDio and Idelson just don't have the will to tell him to go fuck himself, they won't print a story like this. As I've hopefully made clear, the rockstar mentality dominates comics and DC is at least as susceptible to that shit as any other publisher. Even so, this is a big deal. On this one aspect of the argument, I might be willing to cut DC some slack. Nobody wants to piss off the obscenely overrated and overhyped Goyer. But even so... this was just a retarded fucking idea.

A lot of people are predicting that this will be a plot point DC *NEVER* revisits. And that may even be what happens. But to me, it says something that enough people allowed this shit into print in a MAJOR anniversary issue for the longest running comic book of all time.

The people getting pissed off about this have a leg to stand on.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  webhead2006 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:37 pm

ok colors,thanks for the info, i dont know much about the cap deal just the basics from wiki search, same goes for the events of the action comics story. Hopefully like you said this is just for that said back up story and doesnt go anywhere.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Posts : 4344
Points : 4854
User Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:31 pm

The worst thing about all the attention this is getting, and it IS, is that now DC is going to say: "Hmmm, this got people talking and any publicity is GOOD publicity!", then make this change a part of the regular DC comics.

Watch and see.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:The worst thing about all the attention this is getting, and it IS, is that now DC is going to say: "Hmmm, this got people talking and any publicity is GOOD publicity!", then make this change a part of the regular DC comics.

Watch and see.
With all due respect, they realized that back in 1992. Through out the 90's, news of their publicity stunt storylines were commonly featured on network news. There was a point when the comics companies had the PR stuff worked out, the press had an angle to pursue the story with, etc. You saw it with Doomsday, the Death of Clark Kent, the electric Superman thing and probably other shit too. And that's just Superman.

Big as this is though, it feels like Earth One and that Twilight shit was made into a much bigger deal.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:With all due respect, they realized that back in 1992. Through out the 90's, news of their publicity stunt storylines were commonly featured on network news. There was a point when the comics companies had the PR stuff worked out, the press had an angle to pursue the story with, etc. You saw it with Doomsday, the Death of Clark Kent, the electric Superman thing and probably other shit too. And that's just Superman.

Big as this is though, it feels like Earth One and that Twilight shit was made into a much bigger deal.

I realize that. I'm just applying it to this particular story.

If nobody had made a big deal out of it, it would have stayed a "one-off" story with no permanent ramifications. Now the opposite will happen.

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

RE: SUperman renounces American citizenship

Post  non_amos on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:47 am

I should've already commented on this but procrastinated. Anyway, I think AP has a point about this country:

"Man, this country is going to get anally-raped in the future, and fold like Routh's knees when Singer demanded it.

Sad."

So true. It's like this country is going to 'hell-in-a-hand-basket' as they say. It's political correctness run amok. I mean, 'lest we should offend anyone', especially the terrorists. It sucks! And get this! Back during the time immediately after Singerman came out & duh Homopage exploded with all kinds of drivel on their forums, the subject of 9/11 came up. I don't have a link for that but basically the premise in Singerman is that, supposedly, the events of 9/11 happened while ol' BJ was out having his 5-year long space romp, so he wasn't here to prevent it. SO..........that became a hot topic at duh Homopage from what I do remember about it. But ya know what? Since duh Homopage has a lot of international members, there also seemed to be the usual 'anti-American' sentiment. And imagine what happened when a REALIST tried to go 'pros & cons' with them on that touchy subject. A disaster to say the least!

Speaking of duh Homopage, there's a link there too about this subject & it already has 3 pages of 251 comments as of this writing! On page 2 I found a particularly interesting comment from one of colors' favorite posters, 'buttruffage':

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9677&c_start=99

#187 | Buttruffage on April 28, 2011 9:50pm EST
The American Way needs to have it's edges trimmed. We have to have everything americanized before we can appreciate it. "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" was just remade or is in the process of nearly instantly after a fantastic film version from another country was made. We americans are too high and mighty to read our films like we expect the rest of the world to do with everything we generate here. Superman's move here is right on the money!

Now keep in mind that back around 2007 or so 'buttruffage' revealed that he lives in NORTH CAROLINA, which, I believe is in the UNITED STATES. So that makes him an American, at least I assume he is. Could be one of those exchange students for all I know since it was in UNC territory. But assuming he's American, why does he have this stance?! This is the way to go?! And you wonder just what's wrong with duh Homopage?! Mad

However, I did find this over at MSN so I can't help but wonder if this really isn't one of DC's publicity stunts? Just call them the 'Vince McMahon of comicdom':

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=643979&affid=100055

This is pretty much similar info but I found this in the article. I quote:

News of the Superman decision has drawn critical comments in blogs and online forums, but DC Comics says it not about criticizing the U.S. In fact, the publisher says, the Man of Steel remains as American as apple pie, baseball and small-town life.

"Superman is a visitor from a distant planet who has long embraced American values," DC's co-publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio said Thursday in a statement. "As a character and an icon, he embodies the best of the American Way."

And, they added, Superman, like his U.S. citizen alter-ego, Clark Kent, remains, "as always, committed to his adopted home and his roots as a Kansas farm boy from Smallville."

So this is like 'Doomsday' all over again huh?! Something to gain media attention to Superman, especially in light of the fact that they're about to film the SUPERMAN REBOOT, also written by David S. Goyer. Sounds like a Vince McMahon move if I ever heard one! Remember when he turned the American icon 'Sgt. Slaughter' into an Iraqi traitor during the 1st Gulf War? But then conveniently turned him patriotic again later on. Well, this move DC is pulling reeks of that type of crap. Rolling Eyes

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Posts : 2305
Points : 2717
User Reputation : 250
Join date : 2010-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Has anyone considered what this might do to the reboot's box office numbers?

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 pm

You know, after just having...obtained a copy of this, I think DC knew what was coming. Because this is the final image of the book:



Do you see what I see?

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 pm

This is such bullshit. I'm sorry but, as you say, DC knew this reaction was coming. Methinks they put that damned insert in there to have a plausible deniability with it. "See? Superman still LOVES America he just isn't American ANYMORE!"

If I ever met Dan DiDio and Matt Idelson, I'm kicking the shit out of both of 'em. And maybe Harras too, just to be on the safe side.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Apologist Puncher on Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I think I just figured out just HOW DC Comics is going to rectify this little story. And if they DIDN'T plan it, they are fucking STUPID.

I keep reading people say that Superman was given "honorary citizenship" to EVERY country on the planet by the UN in "Pre Crisis" comics.

This "appeases" the whiny international readers, without singling out OUR country with a big "F-U". In fact, if they DO do this, they need to make a point of the UN saying: "We don't WANT you to renounce something so obviously important to you, Superman. So instead we wish to offer you an alternative.....". That way it re-affirms that Superman and America go hand-in-hand, but allows him to do what he supposedly wanted to do in the first place.

Anything he wants?

_________________
BJ Routh and Bryan Singer WERE the worst thing to happen to Superman since Bepo the Super Monkey.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4864
Points : 7476
User Reputation : 548
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 40
Location : West Coast, USA

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun May 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I think I just figured out just HOW DC Comics is going to rectify this little story. And if they DIDN'T plan it, they are fucking STUPID.

I keep reading people say that Superman was given "honorary citizenship" to EVERY country on the planet by the UN in "Pre Crisis" comics.

This "appeases" the whiny international readers, without singling out OUR country with a big "F-U". In fact, if they DO do this, they need to make a point of the UN saying: "We don't WANT you to renounce something so obviously important to you, Superman. So instead we wish to offer you an alternative.....". That way it re-affirms that Superman and America go hand-in-hand, but allows him to do what he supposedly wanted to do in the first place.

Anything he wants?
That's true. I'll dig up the comic if you want but it happened and it was for a pretty good reason. The entire world recognized the good Superman was doing and so they made him a citizen of some kind in all UN member states and, from there, a bona fide law enforcement official in each country as well... so if Superman happened to be flying over Chile and witnessed a crime, he had the legal authority to take the perp out. It didn't come about at the expense of his American citizenship, it simply broadened his legal authority to a truly global level.

And something else? This came about after operating for years as Superboy and then several years as Superman, where he'd proven himself trustworthy and responsible. As much as anything, it was the entire world recognizing Superman's worldview (shaped and defined by American parents). It was meant to say something about his influence; there was no deeper political agenda to it at all. It was simply a token of pretty much global respect.

thecolorsblend
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4257
Points : 5802
User Reputation : 287
Join date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Superman renounces American citizenship

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:06 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum