Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"?

+2
webhead2006
Comicbookfan-V2
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Empty Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"?

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:54 am

It has been debated on Supermanhomepage.com and even on Comicbookmovie.com that script writer David Goyer may have panned a script for the reboot that is actually inspired by the comic "Superman: Secret Origins" dispite the fact the Zack Snyder has confirm that the upcoming film will not be based on nor follow any previous comic storylines!

Here's a peek of what was linked in David Goyer's scriptment, although I can't really confirm if this is real or not!

"There is a heart breaking moment halfway through the first chapter in which young Clark is told the truth about his heritage. He races out into the night, sobbing, stumbling through the cornfields. Eventually, his foster father, Jonathan, finds him."

'I don't want to be someone else,' says Clark. 'I don't want to be different. I want to be Clark Kent.'

[And here's the kicker...]

'I want to be your son'

"Right there in that moment, Geoff contextualized Superman in a way that I'm not sure has ever really been done before. I had an 'aha' experience when I read that. For the first time I was able to grasp how lonely Clark must have been when he was growing up. And what a sacrifice Clark must continually make by being Superman."

"As I write this, I am midway through my first draft of a new Superman screenplay. It's a task that has stymied many talented fimmakers in the years since Donner's film. And for all I know, it will end up stymying me as well."

"But I've got one advantage that the screenwriters who came before me didn't have-- and that's access to all the wonderful Superman stories written by Geoff Johns-- first and foremost being the SECRET ORIGIN issues reprinted in the very volume you are now holding.

Also for the record, this was taken from Comicbookmovie.com!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Empty Re: Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"?

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:24 pm

comicbookfan, someone else already posted the news the other day in the steve thread. Probably they should have made it its own thread. I personally dont see much problems if goyer did base some of his script on some elements of secret origins. He probably also used other stories too. What ever he did i cant wait to see what the story and script look like. Hopefully goyer made the right choices with superman and i hope it will turn into a great film. Here's waiting for a good superman film.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Empty Re: Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"?

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Lord I hope this isn't true. Sucky Origin from Geoff Johns and Gary Frankenstein is basically everything that's wrong with Superman nowadays. I guess there's a story being told in there somewhere but Geoff Johns is influenced by so much of the movies, so much of Smallville, etc, that the story gets completely fucking lost as a result. I can't speak for the rest of you but I don't need to see teenage Clark as such a whiny little brat.

EDIT- I should clarify by saying that I assume Goyer's being influenced by the Geoff Johns characterizations more than the plots because those plots are largely Smallville, cartoon or movie leftovers.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 pm

maybe maybe its just what johns did with young clark before he was superman that goyer liked. Even if he did take any other stuff johns did, along with other writers too he probably mixed and mashed stuff together along with his own things so it probably wont be more this over that kinda of deal. Which i do hope he borrows things from the whole vast history of the comics/other medias. So then we can take the best of old and new and make a well rounded out character.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:41 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Lord I hope this isn't true. Sucky Origin from Geoff Johns and Gary Frankenstein is basically everything that's wrong with Superman nowadays. I guess there's a story being told in there somewhere but Geoff Johns is influenced by so much of the movies, so much of Smallville, etc, that the story gets completely fucking lost as a result. I can't speak for the rest of you but I don't need to see teenage Clark as such a whiny little brat

I have to agree. I read Secret Origins online, and besides one or two "moments", I wasn't too fond of it.

Whiney Smallville Clark, insecure Metropolis Superman and Donner-inspired goofy Clark just didn't cut it for me. And this is coming from someone who IDOLIZES the Donner films! How can Superman move FORWARD if people keep looking BACKWARDS for their ideas?

Taking things from the past and "modernizing" them is perfectly fine. But to copy them beat-for-beat is not only lazy, but INSULTING too.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Empty RE: Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"?

Post  non_amos Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:06 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Lord I hope this isn't true. Sucky Origin from Geoff Johns and Gary Frankenstein is basically everything that's wrong with Superman nowadays. I guess there's a story being told in there somewhere but Geoff Johns is influenced by so much of the movies, so much of Smallville, etc, that the story gets completely fucking lost as a result. I can't speak for the rest of you but I don't need to see teenage Clark as such a whiny little brat

I have to agree. I read Secret Origins online, and besides one or two "moments", I wasn't too fond of it.

Whiney Smallville Clark, insecure Metropolis Superman and Donner-inspired goofy Clark just didn't cut it for me. And this is coming from someone who IDOLIZES the Donner films! How can Superman move FORWARD if people keep looking BACKWARDS for their ideas?

Taking things from the past and "modernizing" them is perfectly fine. But to copy them beat-for-beat is not only lazy, but INSULTING too.

Can someone please tell me just WHY does almost everyone out there feel like they've GOT to handle Superman with overdoses of NOSTALGIA?! I mean, I'm not currently reading the comics but didn't they even put the crystals in the comics? And the films! They have to go OVERBOARD with the REEVE HOMAGES like Singerman did. No disrespect to Reeve by the way but it's time for something NEW. And the description of 'whiny Clark' DOES sound a LOT like Smallville, or 'Smallville Creek' as duh apologists call it. Didn't Welling & John Schneider ALREADY do something like this early on in that show? As per how Clark didn't want to accept his Kryptonian heritage & just wanted to be 'normal'.

Next thing you know the ACTOR they get for the new film will actually resemble Reeve anyway, even though they said they were going for a NEW look! And with the recent news that Hans Zimmerman won't touch John Williams' theme with a 10-ft. pole, it's given duh apologists hope that even the classic theme will be in the new film. Hey, while we're at it, why not bring back Brandon 'BJ' Routhman since he is Reeve's CLONE so that way he can continue to APE Reeve?! Let's have a goofy Clark again, why not?! Maybe Jimmy can bake him a cake!

Sure I sound sarcastic but consider. Are we gonna move FORWARD on a NEW Superman franchise, or NOT?! I vote for NEW! Enough of the 'nudge nudge, wink wink' crapola that gets duh apologists wet! It's time for a CLEAN BREAK! There's no sense in continuing to recycle 30+-year old material. And THEN they wonder WHY it doesn't sell?! Do something different. "Build it & they will come." bounce
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:55 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Whiney Smallville Clark, insecure Metropolis Superman and Donner-inspired goofy Clark just didn't cut it for me. And this is coming from someone who IDOLIZES the Donner films! How can Superman move FORWARD if people keep looking BACKWARDS for their ideas?

I can only agree with you. The Superman debut in Metropolis is basically directly lifted from STM. So on and so forth. If STM had come out back in 1978 as nothing but a love letter to the George Reeves show, it would've tanked. I don't understand why people can't just let STM go already and move forward.

And Gary Frankenstein's art? Fucking creepy!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:09 am

For me sure I personally don't have much issues with johns stuff as some of you do. Yes I know he does favor donnor/silver age stuff. But I don't think goyer would be that foolish to have that same old same old again. He probably just borrowed some elements from johns/silver age stuff along with what I do hope other writers and round out and flesh the characters out. Though we wont know to more story aspects are revealed.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:41 pm

webhead2006 wrote:For me sure I personally don't have much issues with johns stuff as some of you do. Yes I know he does favor donnor/silver age stuff. But I don't think goyer would be that foolish to have that same old same old again. He probably just borrowed some elements from johns/silver age stuff along with what I do hope other writers and round out and flesh the characters out. Though we wont know to more story aspects are revealed.
I get that. So allow me to be more specific.

People suck Johns' nuts all the time about continuity. "Geoff Johns LOVES continuity! All of his stories tend to fix continuity, even if it's in some small, miniscule, barely-motherfucking-detectable way."

Okay. Let's ride with that for a minute, shall we? Geoff Johns doesn't introduce continuity problems? I'd love for the Geoff Johns apologists to explain this to me then.

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Continuity-action850
This here's the New Earth Superman's debut as suggested in Action Comics #850.

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Continuity-suckyorigin03
This here's the New Earth Superman's debut as suggested in Sucky Origin #03.

One of those involves Lois heavily and involves a helicopter. The other involves Lois not at all and involves a space shuttle. Both claim to be his debut.

So which is it? Explain it to me, assholes. The two comics were only published (at most) two years apart. And don't play the "Johns didn't write it" card because he's credited as writer or co-writer for both issues.

After you get done with that, explain to me how Alice White isn't a cougar in the New Earth continuity. She knocked boots with Lex Luthor in the Byrne Age continuity and ended up having his illegitimate son. Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns both say that the Byrne Age stories "still happened". But now that Lex is Clark's peer rather than Perry White's and since we can apparently assume that she still gave birth to Jerry... how is Alice not a cougar?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Empty RE: Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"?

Post  non_amos Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:04 pm

THAT'S the sort of thing I'm talking about! A helicopter or a plane is reminiscent of STM. A plane & a space shuttle is reminiscent of *shudder* 'SINGERMAN'! I can remember when the comics came up with ORIGINAL ideas, whether ongoing plots or stand-alone stories. Now it appears as if they want to mirror the films. It even appears the films want to mirror the films! PUH_____LEAZZZEEE, people, for the NEW FILM, how 'bout some NEW IDEAS, huh?! IS THAT asking TOO much?! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Well I guess we will have to see where goyer script will ultimately go. I do hope he was wise enough not to use/borrow silver age/donner stuff much if at all. I don't mind a nod or two is ok. But yea we. Need to take things in new direction. As for first public save if there is one I wonder what it would be. Since planes/jets have been used over and over again. Just hard to choose a good dramatic first save.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:07 pm

non_amos wrote:THAT'S the sort of thing I'm talking about! A helicopter or a plane is reminiscent of STM. A plane & a space shuttle is reminiscent of *shudder* 'SINGERMAN'! I can remember when the comics came up with ORIGINAL ideas, whether ongoing plots or stand-alone stories. Now it appears as if they want to mirror the films. It even appears the films want to mirror the films! PUH_____LEAZZZEEE, people, for the NEW FILM, how 'bout some NEW IDEAS, huh?! IS THAT asking TOO much?! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Mad
The space plane/space shuttle thing was introduced in Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries back in 1986. A plane rescue was also part of Superman's debut in STAS. Birthright had a helicopter rescue but it was more of a wink to STM than anything; an incidental part of that Superman's debut too in the broader scheme of things.

Simply being there isn't the problem. It's how those things are used that are the real issue.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:58 pm

webhead2006 wrote:For me sure I personally don't have much issues with johns stuff as some of you do. Yes I know he does favor donnor/silver age stuff.

"borrow"? He doesn't "borrow". He COPIES. Huge difference.

And it's not surprising that you of all people would say "i dont have a problem with it like 99% of everyone else here does".
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:05 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:The space plane/space shuttle thing was introduced in Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries back in 1986. A plane rescue was also part of Superman's debut in STAS. Birthright had a helicopter rescue but it was more of a wink to STM than anything; an incidental part of that Superman's debut too in the broader scheme of things.

The Byrne shuttle rescue was unique in that it had Superman save it OUT OF COSTUME. It wasn't an "opportunity" for him to show off his new costume, while worrying that people will think he looked "silly". Rolling Eyes

And the Birthright helicopter rescue was SECONDARY, compared to the real reason he was in costume "saving the day". I really dig this splash page too:
Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Br4

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Ap when I was saying borrowed I was talking about goyer and not johns there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:The space plane/space shuttle thing was introduced in Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries back in 1986. A plane rescue was also part of Superman's debut in STAS. Birthright had a helicopter rescue but it was more of a wink to STM than anything; an incidental part of that Superman's debut too in the broader scheme of things.

The Byrne shuttle rescue was unique in that it had Superman save it OUT OF COSTUME. It wasn't an "opportunity" for him to show off his new costume, while worrying that people will think he looked "silly". Rolling Eyes

And the Birthright helicopter rescue was SECONDARY, compared to the real reason he was in costume "saving the day". I really dig this splash page too:
Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Br4
The more I think about it, the more I realize that Birthright's primary weakness is Leinel Yu. I dig his X-Men/Wolverine stuff (regular Marvel or Ultimate, both are good) but it feels like Yu is just another one of those pencillers who tried to force Superman to fit his style rather than adjusting his style to fit Superman. Yu has a demonstrable ability to do your grittier characters but in terms of the bigger, more iconic stuff, I just don't think he's the man you want, esp not for a Superman origin.

One wonders how Birthright might've come out had Ed McGuiness, Carlos Pacheco, Phil Jiminez, Rags Morales, any of a number of others handled the job. It probably would've turned out a lot better. But Leinel Yu was never the guy for the job.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 am

I have a GREAT first save for the new Superman film. Do something that fans have requested before but never REALLY got because Superman 4 doesn't count here. HAVE SUPERMAN STOP A TRAIN WITH HIS BARE HANDS! If you recall, that incident in S4 wasn't anything REAL. You probably are ALSO aware that in HANCOCK Will Smith's character 'Hancock' stops a train dead in its' tracks, complete with its' derailment! Now I know Hancock was somewhat of a parody while simultaneously trying to be serious. I also know some people, mostly apologists, don't LIKE Hancock. I liked it for what it was, entertainment. However, that train scene showed me that it CAN be done in cinema & would fit SO much better in a SUPERMAN FILM! Now I'm not suggesting that Superman cause a derailment. He would obviously save it from disaster, but the point is, whether he gets in front of it & grinds in his heels to stop it, or gets behind it & pulls back on it, as long as he stops the train WITH HIS BARE HANDS. He COULD even do like the Hulk did back in the late 70's (in the comics) & LEAP through the air with it in his hands. And I also remembered something while typing this. I remember the 1st Reeve film how Superman became PART of the tracks so the train wouldn't wreck, but that's not the kind of save I want now. With his bare hands.....NOW!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:53 am

that would be neat, could be maybe one of those bullet trains that run super fast.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm

non_amos wrote:I have a GREAT first save for the new Superman film. Do something that fans have requested before but never REALLY got because Superman 4 doesn't count here. HAVE SUPERMAN STOP A TRAIN WITH HIS BARE HANDS! If you recall, that incident in S4 wasn't anything REAL. You probably are ALSO aware that in HANCOCK Will Smith's character 'Hancock' stops a train dead in its' tracks, complete with its' derailment! Now I know Hancock was somewhat of a parody while simultaneously trying to be serious. I also know some people, mostly apologists, don't LIKE Hancock. I liked it for what it was, entertainment. However, that train scene showed me that it CAN be done in cinema & would fit SO much better in a SUPERMAN FILM! Now I'm not suggesting that Superman cause a derailment. He would obviously save it from disaster, but the point is, whether he gets in front of it & grinds in his heels to stop it, or gets behind it & pulls back on it, as long as he stops the train WITH HIS BARE HANDS. He COULD even do like the Hulk did back in the late 70's (in the comics) & LEAP through the air with it in his hands. And I also remembered something while typing this. I remember the 1st Reeve film how Superman became PART of the tracks so the train wouldn't wreck, but that's not the kind of save I want now. With his bare hands.....NOW!

And Hancock TRASHED Singerman's box office, so what does that tell you?

Seriously, The Incredibles had Mr. Incredible doing "super feats" that Superman should be doing in a live action film, not lifting heavy things and fighting clumps of dirt.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

You could be forgiven for thinking that despite the competition in the superhero genre these days, they went out of their way to make Superman seem underwhelming by comparison.

Nice work boys.....

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:21 pm

A scene similar to this would be pretty "awe-inspiring" if done RIGHT:

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Superman_the_secret_years__1985_____3
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:58 pm

I do hope the reboot has some big grand power usage and saves.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:A scene similar to this would be pretty "awe-inspiring" if done RIGHT:

Reboot inspired by "Secret Origins"? Superman_the_secret_years__1985_____3
Speaking of Hancock, I realize the intent behind that image but I have to wonder why Superboy would stop the train rather than whisk that idiot kid to safety.

But honestly, I think the bar is set pretty low in terms of showing off Superman's powers in live action. Much as I dig on Superman II, the minute he and the criminals have their showdown in Metropolis, everybody sissy-kicks. Seriously, at times it's just a step away from this:

You have to admit, that bicyclist "fight" isn't quite as lame as any "epic battle" involving Singerman probably would've been but not for any lack of trying...

Love or hate SV, but one thing that show has gotten right starting in about the 6th season is Clark beating the shit out of people with his bare hands. No sissy-kicks, no lame bullshit, just Clark punching them in the head.

thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:04 am

So true with sv. We don't get huge fights all the. But there has been some solid fights through the yrs like zod and clark, clark and titan to name a few other tims he has jusr super punched/thrown someone. But sv has used powers pretty well. Same with super saves too.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:20 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Speaking of Hancock, I realize the intent behind that image but I have to wonder why Superboy would stop the train rather than whisk that idiot kid to safety.

Because it wouldn't look as "dynamic".

But honestly, I think the bar is set pretty low in terms of showing off Superman's powers in live action. Much as I dig on Superman II, the minute he and the criminals have their showdown in Metropolis, everybody sissy-kicks. Seriously, at times it's just a step away from this:

You have to admit, that bicyclist "fight" isn't quite as lame as any "epic battle" involving Singerman probably would've been but not for any lack of trying...

I bet you dollars-to-doughnuts that THAT is EXACTLY how an Apologist would fight in "real life".

Love or hate SV, but one thing that show has gotten right starting in about the 6th season is Clark beating the shit out of people with his bare hands. No sissy-kicks, no lame bullshit, just Clark punching them in the head.

Embedding disabled.

But I like how in this clip, it's like they once again decided to piss all over SIngerman. No powers and he STILL kicks ass? No whining and crying out "I'm still...Singerman!....Singer...maaaan!!"? Who'dathunkit??

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next