Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS*

4 posters

Go down

'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS* Empty 'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS*

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm

I watched this recently, just out of curiosity. Big-time similarities to 'Smallville', and quite obviously a CW show. All that aside, how was it?

Pretty fucking cool.

Starts out with a voice-over like we've heard before in Raimi's 'Spider-Man'/'Kick Ass', and not very original. We're treated to a violet-ish blur racing through city streets, avoiding cars and whatnot. We then flash back to Barry Allen's childhood, and the typical-for-today bullies kicking the crap out of him. His mom is on his side, and even tells his dad he "won" the fight he got into. Dad's proud, but gives the not quite sincere "No more fighting".

That night, Barry wakes up to strange noises, and the water in his fish tank floating up and out. He goes downstairs to find his mother being menaced by a yellow and red "lightning bolt", with her exclaiming not to let it touch him. His dad tells him to run outside, and he's instantly far away from home. He starts to run back, and we cut to an adult Barry running through the streets, obviously late for something.

From here we're introduced to Jesse Martin as Detective West, Iris' father. Barry is an assistant forensic investigator, with a reputation for being late, and Det. West has been taking care of him. Personally and professionally. He helps give the clues necessary to find the criminals responsible for a bank robbery, and goes off with Iris to Star Labs.

While there, Iris gets her laptop stolen. Barry chases him down, gets his ass kicked, and the new hot-shot cop gets the collar. Feeling like a failure, he watches as Star Labs explodes, sending as pulse across the city. Martin's partner is shot and killed by the bankrobbers, their escape plane is destroyed by the pulse, and Barry Allen is hit by lightning.

He's rushed to the ER, where they are attempting to resuscitate him. Cut to 9 months later, and he's still in a coma. He comes out unexpectedly, and learns that the lightning "changed" him. They just don't really know HOW MUCH.

If you want to watch it, I'll leave it up to you to find out what happens from there. But Grant Gustin does a pretty good job as the title character, Martin is in 'Law & Order' mode, Iris is cute, but nothing special, Danielle Panabaker is hot and John Wesley Shipp has an emotional scene towards the end with Gustin that was pretty powerful. Oh, and Tom Cavanagh's Harison Wells was good, if a bit predictable. At least for me.

I'd definitely recommend checking this out when it premiere's. The "Flash" effects are pretty sweet, there's an emotional core that is pretty strong, at least so far. And they dropped Easter Eggs for a few various DC Comics characters. Not perfect, but definitely better than good.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS* Empty Re: 'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS*

Post  non_amos Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 am

I've been reading reactions to this pilot left & right at Singer Homo Hype & for the most part it seems overwhelmingly positive. They say you can still find the pilot online. I haven't even attempted to. Yet. Might need to change that LOL.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS* Empty Re: 'The Flash' Pilot Review *SPOILERS*

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 pm

non_amos wrote:I've been reading reactions to this pilot left & right at Singer Homo Hype & for the most part it seems overwhelmingly positive. They say you can still find the pilot online. I haven't even attempted to. Yet. Might need to change that LOL.

It's worth it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:I've been reading reactions to this pilot left & right at Singer Homo Hype & for the most part it seems overwhelmingly positive. They say you can still find the pilot online. I haven't even attempted to. Yet. Might need to change that LOL.

It's worth it.

Unfortunately I still haven't even looked for it. I work so much now that I even got an e-mail that my account was inactive for crying out loud! But can't help that. Like Rocky Balboa once said, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." So even if I don't always post I'm still checking periodically to see if there are any new posts. A lot of the time there aren't.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 pm

I've been enjoying the show. The pilot and the second episode both ended with twists involving the same character. Honestly, those twists are what keep this show from being a fairly paint by numbers superhero story we've seen a thousand times. It's the one truly unique thing about this incarnation of the Flash.

Greatest show ever? Not even close. But it's a fun watch. I'll probably stick around.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:49 am

Still haven't seen it. Never saw the leaked pilot episode, haven't even checked it out on cable.

Who am I kidding? All I do anymore is work all the time! TV?! What's that LOL?! scratch
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:15 pm

non_amos wrote:Still haven't seen it. Never saw the leaked pilot episode, haven't even checked it out on cable.

Who am I kidding? All I do anymore is work all the time! TV?! What's that LOL?! scratch

Get yourself a tablet and watch stuff on your lunch break. Hell, you can get a Kindle Fire HD for like $99 now....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Guys, this show is seriously good. I never thought we'd see the Flash on TV again but here it is. And it's just fun, enjoyable show that isn't afraid to acknowledge that, yes, it IS comic book.

Plus, Wells is the best part of the show. The twist in every episode revolving around him is not only maybe the one thing that keeps the Flash from being Just Another Superhero Story, it also smacks of a very deep comic book influence... if, ahem, this reversal goes where I think it's going.

If you're not watching the show, kick yourself in the balls and get caught up.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Bradleyxhoward Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:37 pm

This weeks episode was great. Never thought I'd see live action versions of the characters that appeared. These show runners/writers are showing serious balls with what they are trying to pull off. Loved the Arrow crossover episodes.

Bradleyxhoward
BJ Routh *Blech*
BJ Routh *Blech*

User Reputation : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:27 am

Bradleyxhoward wrote:This weeks episode was great. Never thought I'd see live action versions of the characters that appeared.  These show runners/writers are showing serious balls with what they are trying to pull off.  Loved the Arrow crossover episodes.  
I missed the Arrow crossover. In fact, I haven't seen much Arrow at all. Time was I hadn't seen anything at all but my work did a marathon of Arrow's first season. And then my girlfriend, overwhelmed by the Flash's awesomeness, determined to catch up on Arrow by watching it from the pilot all the way up to whatever the most recent episode is.

As to the Flash, who would've ever thought we'd see a live action Reverse Flash? Or that a Flash TV SHOW would be the talk of the geek world for how awesome it is?

What plays for me is Barry. The show can be very earnest at times. Maybe too much so. But Grant Gustin plays Barry like he means every word of it. There's no smug irony there. No regret over having superpowers or being a superhero. The angst and whatnot comes when Barry feels like he can't do enough. But mostly he loves being a superhero, having powers and rescuing people.

I hope the Flash is where DC superhero media go in the future. FUN stories about relatively lighthearted characters. I've wanted something like this since forever and now we're finally getting it. Couldn't be happier.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down