The Official "SHITTY REBOOT" Thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Official "SHITTY REBOOT" Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 am

Since the "Terminator" thread kind of spawned talk of shitty-ass reboots, I figured the topic deserves it's own thread. And I'll start it off with ANOTHER stupid idea:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/13/ed-helms-the-naked-gun_n_4439052.html

Ed Helms To Fill Leslie Nielsen's Shoes In 'The Naked Gun' Reboot

Posted: 12/13/2013 10:21 am EST  |  Updated: 12/13/2013 10:24 am EST

Detective Frank Drebin is about to be on the case again, as Ed Helms is set to play Leslie Nielsen's famed character in a reboot of "The Naked Gun," Variety reports.

Thomas Lennon and R. Ben Garant ("Night at the Museum," "Reno 911!") will write the script, which centers on Drebin. The original comedy franchise spawned two sequels, but it's unclear whether Paramount hopes to capitalize on that built-in success by planning multiple releases.

There's no director or supporting cast in place yet. The original films co-starred Priscilla Presley, O.J. Simpson and George Kennedy. The first, 1988's "Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!," found Frank working to foil a plan to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II at a baseball game while she's visiting the United States.

The original trilogy raked in $216 million in North American ticket sales. A fourth film, without Nielsen, was planned as a direct-to-DVD release in 2008 but reportedly stalled over questionable profitability.

Nielsen died in 2010, so he won't be around to give Helms his blessing. Still, the former "Office" star has plenty of material to study up on prior to shooting, as "The Naked Gun" is based on the short-lived 1982 ABC spoof series “Police Squad!" Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker, who wrote "Gun," were responsible for that series as well.

Helms, fresh off the successful "We're the Millers," has supporting roles in three comedies coming in 2014: "Someone Marry Barry," "They Came Together" and "Stretch."

Ed Helms? Did they not SEE 'Police Squad' OR the original films?? Now if it was someone like Jon Hamm? I'd buy it. Ed Helms is too "manic" in his comedic endeavors.

Not holding out hope on yet ANOTHER HollyWeird reboot....

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: The Official "SHITTY REBOOT" Thread

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:13 am

Agreed. And I like Ed Helms. I think he's really funny. But Nielsen worked in those roles because of how deadpan serious he was in an absurd situation. "I'm a doctor, I don't do impressions" (yes yes, from Airplane, I know, I'm making a point).

Then again though that sort of accounts for a good bit of the Office's humor so hmm.

thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:19 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Agreed. And I like Ed Helms. I think he's really funny. But Nielsen worked in those roles because of how deadpan serious he was in an absurd situation. "I'm a doctor, I don't do impressions" (yes yes, from Airplane, I know, I'm making a point).

Then again though that sort of accounts for a good bit of the Office's humor so hmm.

I just don't like it with Helms. Like I said, Jon Hamm can do Leslie Nielsen proud. He's got that "serious" vibe to him, but he's ALSO naturally a funny guy. Helms is KNOWN for his comedic roles.

I grew up a HUGE fan of 'Police Squad', and then the 'Naked Gun' films. 'PS' was just too smart for the 80's, and it deserved a MUCH longer run.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 am

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:39 am

How long before they start doing a reboot of a reboot? Remember what Michael Keaton said in that film Multiplicity about when you start making 'a copy of a copy of a copy'? Well, there you go!  Smile

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:41 am

non_amos wrote:How long before they start doing a reboot of a reboot? Remember what Michael Keaton said in that film Multiplicity about when you start making 'a copy of a copy of a copy'? Well, there you go!  Smile

Already happening.

'Friday the 13th' is being re-rebooted.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:44 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:How long before they start doing a reboot of a reboot? Remember what Michael Keaton said in that film Multiplicity about when you start making 'a copy of a copy of a copy'? Well, there you go!  Smile

Already happening.

HUH?! That's a first on me! You mean the film Jared Padelecki was in is already being scrapped & rebooted?! Maybe we should rename Hollyweird Recycle Bin.

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:44 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:

Already happening.

Mmm. Keaton's Law (thanks amos!) may apply to that but I'm tempted to think horror movies are still good candidates for reboots since, let's face it, horror isn't a genre that thrives on originality much to begin with. For every Blair Witch Project (which I've never been a fan of) there's a shitty sequel to Halloween. So if they re-reboot Friday the 13th... eh, speaking as a complete non-fan of horror franchises, it fazes me not.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 am

Hey! What happened to that article that was posted here? I read it at the actual link, came back & it was gone?

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 pm

non_amos wrote:Hey! What happened to that article that was posted here? I read it at the actual link, came back & it was gone?

I think colors hit "Edit", instead of "Quote"....

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:Hey! What happened to that article that was posted here? I read it at the actual link, came back & it was gone?

I think colors hit "Edit", instead of "Quote"....
Guilty.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:43 am

Just wanna say I agree with the sentiment in the TERMINATOR thread about the reboot/remakes that have flopped. Especially CARRIE. Good casting (which makes it worse because they're wasted in this POS), totally wrong director who doesn't know jack about creating suspense. The most amusement I ever got out of the remake of TOTAL RECALL was seeing this on the back of the package at my workplace:

Which leads me to ROBOCOP. Man, do I want that to fail like TOTAL RECALL. Maybe then Hollywood might have the good sense to get back Paul Verhoeven to make the kind of hits that they want with these remake/reboots. Just a solid action packed action thriller that wears the brand "Rated R" proudly. To make it even sweeter, get Michael Ironside.

James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 am

I haven't yet watched the reboot of TOTAL RECALL. It was one of those Blu-Rays I almost bought over Thanksgiving weekend but I couldn't afford to buy everything. Anyway, one thing that bothered me in the descriptions I read when it first came out is simply that the film didn't take place on MARS! What's up with that? Was that too 'comic booky' or something? That was my impression. After all, after duh Nolan laid down the decree for ultra-realism I believe others wanted to follow suit. Whatever. Sometimes maybe it's best to stick with the source material?

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:51 pm

To be fair, there is no trip to Mars in the short story, but it does play a key factor because of the protagonist having memories of being on Mars. The 1990 film smartly expanded on that, while the 2012 film is clearly taking that out of the equalization probably so it seems less fantastical, going with the "dark n gritty" aesthetic that's become a thing.

James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:41 am

James Stocks wrote:To be fair, there is no trip to Mars in the short story, but it does play a key factor because of the protagonist having memories of being on Mars. The 1990 film smartly expanded on that, while the 2012 film is clearly taking that out of the equalization probably so it seems less fantastical, going with the "dark n gritty" aesthetic that's become a thing.
Words fail me in trying to explain how retarded I think that is.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:16 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
James Stocks wrote:To be fair, there is no trip to Mars in the short story, but it does play a key factor because of the protagonist having memories of being on Mars. The 1990 film smartly expanded on that, while the 2012 film is clearly taking that out of the equalization probably so it seems less fantastical, going with the "dark n gritty" aesthetic that's become a thing.
Words fail me in trying to explain how retarded I think that is.

Welcome to the new Hollyweird! Duh Nolan is probably the king or something. I never read the short story, whatever that is, I just saw the movie with Ahnuld. Thing is, what was supposed to be wrong with that version? Nothing I see. But remember, Mars was probably ruled out because someone probably reasoned, in real life that's impossible! So by extension it should be impossible in our film too. You know, the kind of person that starts reasoning the fantastical cost it would take to have even a modest outpost on Mars, much less a full-blown city or whatever. Not to mention the tech it would take & anything else they'd reason for their argument. So it's more reasonable to have it take place in like 'dark, gritty suburbia' or something. Nolan would be proud.

Ya know, it's funny. Movies used to be an escape, no matter how preposterous the subject matter might have been. But now it's like someone can't make a film unless they explain every little minute detail & if it's impossible in real life, then so it becomes in their film also. But it's kinda hypocritical too when you consider how popular zombies are.  Rolling Eyes

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am

You know, since you mention it... I don't want to get all psycho-babble bullshit here but it does make you wonder exactly what changed in society that people don't DREAM anymore.

As a corollary, go back and read Silver Age Superman comics at some point. Now, keep in mind that they were written for children. Comics today are mostly aimed at teenagers and adults but back then they were aimed for kids. Put that aside and focus on the IMAGINATION behind those whack-ass, high concept science fairy tales.

You can't write comics like that anymore because even they have to be all boring and grounded and shit. But there was a time when all fiction was about DREAMING. To me, it's a sad sad fucking SAD commentary on modern society that we've apparently given up on our dreams and flights of fancy.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:28 am

^What he said. And that is precisely what's wrong with comics now no doubt.

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:22 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:You know, since you mention it... I don't want to get all psycho-babble bullshit here but it does make you wonder exactly what changed in society that people don't DREAM anymore.

As a corollary, go back and read Silver Age Superman comics at some point. Now, keep in mind that they were written for children. Comics today are mostly aimed at teenagers and adults but back then they were aimed for kids. Put that aside and focus on the IMAGINATION behind those whack-ass, high concept science fairy tales.

You can't write comics like that anymore because even they have to be all boring and grounded and shit. But there was a time when all fiction was about DREAMING. To me, it's a sad sad fucking SAD commentary on modern society that we've apparently given up on our dreams and flights of fancy.

Once the media realized their "power" when they took down a fucking PRESIDENT, everything changed. The media started to create celebrities. To destroy celebrities. To tell people what to like, and what not to like. People allowed this to happen, and because of that, cynicism began to fester and grow. And even THEN, the media has taken THAT for themselves, and they churn out movies, tv shows, comics, books, music, that is "gritty" and "dark". Why would the media want you to think and dream for yourselves? If kids turned off their video games, smart phones, computers and iPods to go outside and play, what would happen to their profits and influence?

The government loves this by the way. Because the less thinking YOU do, the more thinking they do FOR you.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:37 am

Reminds me of how in T2 Ahnuld was set to 'Read Only' out in the field because Skynet 'didn't want them thinking for themselves'. Hence John Connor reprogramming him in the extended version to actually think for himself. And to think that AP's point made me think of that! Sad commentary on our society indeed.

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:08 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Once the media realized their "power" when they took down a fucking PRESIDENT, everything changed. The media started to create celebrities. To destroy celebrities. To tell people what to like, and what not to like. People allowed this to happen, and because of that, cynicism began to fester and grow. And even THEN, the media has taken THAT for themselves, and they churn out movies, tv shows, comics, books, music, that is "gritty" and "dark". Why would the media want you to think and dream for yourselves? If kids turned off their video games, smart phones, computers and iPods to go outside and play, what would happen to their profits and influence?

The government loves this by the way. Because the less thinking YOU do, the more thinking they do FOR you.
I've made similar points in other places so you don't have to convince me of that.

If you ask me though, the irony here is that most superheroes are more or less the epitome of conservatism because of their unilateral, often uncoordinated and almost always unpoliced actions. I realize it's trendy these days for comics writers to depict Superman as a basement-dwelling, Cheetoh-munching, Occupy-loving blogger but the fact is that the mindset that enables someone to take individual action as a superhero is necessarily of the right. Because if he was a leftie, he'd spend the rest of his life waiting (probably in vain) for some imaginary "authority figure" to give him permission.

Whether anybody likes it or not, most superheroes are inherently of the right on a psychological level. There's just no denying it.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Bug-Eyed Earl on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:09 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Since the "Terminator" thread kind of spawned talk of shitty-ass reboots, I figured the topic deserves it's own thread. And I'll start it off with ANOTHER stupid idea:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/13/ed-helms-the-naked-gun_n_4439052.html

Ed Helms To Fill Leslie Nielsen's Shoes In 'The Naked Gun' Reboot

Posted: 12/13/2013 10:21 am EST  |  Updated: 12/13/2013 10:24 am EST

Detective Frank Drebin is about to be on the case again, as Ed Helms is set to play Leslie Nielsen's famed character in a reboot of "The Naked Gun," Variety reports.

Thomas Lennon and R. Ben Garant ("Night at the Museum," "Reno 911!") will write the script, which centers on Drebin. The original comedy franchise spawned two sequels, but it's unclear whether Paramount hopes to capitalize on that built-in success by planning multiple releases.

There's no director or supporting cast in place yet. The original films co-starred Priscilla Presley, O.J. Simpson and George Kennedy. The first, 1988's "Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!," found Frank working to foil a plan to assassinate Queen Elizabeth II at a baseball game while she's visiting the United States.

The original trilogy raked in $216 million in North American ticket sales. A fourth film, without Nielsen, was planned as a direct-to-DVD release in 2008 but reportedly stalled over questionable profitability.

Nielsen died in 2010, so he won't be around to give Helms his blessing. Still, the former "Office" star has plenty of material to study up on prior to shooting, as "The Naked Gun" is based on the short-lived 1982 ABC spoof series “Police Squad!" Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker, who wrote "Gun," were responsible for that series as well.

Helms, fresh off the successful "We're the Millers," has supporting roles in three comedies coming in 2014: "Someone Marry Barry," "They Came Together" and "Stretch."

Ed Helms? Did they not SEE 'Police Squad' OR the original films?? Now if it was someone like Jon Hamm? I'd buy it. Ed Helms is too "manic" in his comedic endeavors.

Not holding out hope on yet ANOTHER HollyWeird reboot....

The whole charm of Leslie Nielsen was that he was a dramatic actor who played the ridiculous material completely straight faced(most of the time). I was thinking before I ever heard this that I would love a prequel set in the 50s with someone like... Jon Hamm as Frank Drebin.

Bug-Eyed Earl
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 am

As with so many sequels and reboots... do we REALLY need this? Ed Helms is funny but Nielsen is a tough act to follow. I just don't see the point.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:59 pm

This is for you non_amos:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=98737

FRIDAY THE 13TH TV Series In The Works
We found out recently that V/H/S director David Bruckner was in line to helm a big screen Friday The 13th reboot, but according to Deadline we'll also be getting a new hour-long tv series based around hockey mask-wearing killer, Jason Vorhees.
By Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 4/24/2014

It seems Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films and Crystal Lake Entertainment think it's a good idea to produce a weekly hour-long tv series based around indestructible murderer Jason Vorhees and his vacuous victims. Original Friday The 13th director Sean S. Cunningham is on board as an executive producer, and had this to say about the project. “Jason Voorhees is synonymous with the genre and we plan to build on this legacy with a provocative and compelling take that expands upon the storylines that have already thrilled millions worldwide.” Apparently writers Bill Basso (Terminator) and Jordu Schell (Avatar) will script a tale that "re-imagines Jason Voorhees in multiple time periods," and focuses on "the eclectic characters of Crystal Lake who are forced to confront the return of the killer, as new secrets about his wacky family are revealed." I have no idea what we can expect from this aside from weekly doses of Jason dispatching attractive idiots ad nauseam but I guess we could be pleasantly surprised. Thoughts?

Source: Deadline

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Jason in multiple time periods? You gotta be kidding me! And discover more about his wacky family? Yeah I guess he is the product of inbreeding. I don't know what to make of this but will say this. There's already been a TV series & it had nothing to do with Jason. Actually I'd liken it more to SUPERNATURAL. Not as good but definitely entertaining & probably a forerunner of Supernatural. Shame it only lasted 3 seasons I believe. But don't count on this one to make it that far.  No

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top